I Wanna Rock! - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which console for Andrea?
Xbox 360 0 0%
PS 3 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-04-2008, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Over 35yr female here. Never owned a console until this past year when I picked up a Wii. Love it, all my friends love to play. They bought me Guitar Hero III for my B.D. in november.....I'm totally addicted. So much so, that I would love to get Guitar Hero II and also would like to get Rock Band. So, I've been trying to figure out if I should get an Xbox 360 or a PS3. The +/- seems to be:

XBox +: both games available for 360. Can use guitar from GH for Rock Band (?...I know GHIII guitar is ok, I assume GHII guitar is also compatible). Seems to offer the most games for a platform. Bigger online community, though I'm not sure I would use this; don't need to buy HDDVD as I already have a stand alone Toshiba XA-2; brother in law has old xbox so could play his games at my house
Xbox -: not wireless; RROD; brother in law has old xbox, so may be over more and hog the system

PS3 +: can use also as BR, as I haven't bought a standalone. Wireless.
PS3 -: doesn't appear to support GHII...what I've read says GHII was released just for PS2 and Xbox--is this correct?; can't use GH guitars with Rockband

So, are my pluses and minuses correct? It seems to lean toward the XBox. If that's the best console for me, which one should I get? I might buy something like Madden or NHL hockey, but really doubt I'll ever play something like Halo, etc; so keep that in mind when you make your recommendation. Thanks for the help!
Andrea

Dedicated to keeping my 2 labs from chewing any of MY stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-04-2008, 09:35 AM

I played Rock Band on the PS3 at a New Year's party. It was fun, but was told (like you even said) that you can't buy a second guitar for the PS3 version. They also said the PS3 version doesn't have as many songs - namely it was missing Enter Sandman from Metallica. For overall gaming, the 360 seems to be the clear winner, and the media extender is icing on the top. Would I use the blow-ray player on the PS3? Most likely not because I used the Sega CD for playing CDs a while back, and using a controller to play songs and movies is pretty cheesy. FYI You can also get a HDDVD player for the 360, but it adds cost - since it is USB, you can use it on your home computer too.

Both have pros and cons, but my choice would be the 360.

Edit: You could also get the 360 and just buy a standalone movie player. HDDVD standalone players are like $100 now.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 AM

For some reason the Wii is a big hit with the casual gamer. It's great for parties and stuff. I think hardcore gamers prefer the 360 but I like the PS3 because of how I've integrated it into my home theater system. The game selection for Xbox is more vast than PS3 so if it's about gaming, go with that. But if it's about a device that will be the centerpiece of your home theater, go with the PS3.
post #4 of 20 Old 01-08-2008, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

PS3 for the other stuff. (BD, media streaming)

The GH/Rock Band thing is an issue, hopefully Activision will resolve it soon.

BTW I am a new GHIII on PS3 owner and love it, in fact it hurts to type this post because I was up until 2:00 last night finishing it on easy.

Also, we also have a Wii, and it is great, I love both of my consoles.

But really you can't go wrong with the 360 either, unless you want HDM.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-08-2008, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I didnt know the PS3 was missing songs. That sucks. 360 hands down. Enter Sandman is one of my favorites.

However for movies I diagree. The PS3 over the 360.

You can also use the 360's guitars on the PC with frets on fire.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-09-2008, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered an XBox 360 last night. I got the Elite for the HDMI and figured I will use XBL to download new songs. Now I need to get a new router, as I hate my old one and don't use it. The console arrives Sunday, so should be able to set it up and have it available with rock band after the Colts whip the Chargers. Really looking forward to it!

post #7 of 20 Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 AM

I figured you would be happy with any of the three. Congrats on the purchase. I just noticed they have GHIII for the PC... Interesting.

It arrives Sunday? Who delivers on a Sunday?
post #8 of 20 Old 01-09-2008, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Against all common sense, I ordered it from Best Lie. In my defense, I couldn't find it available online and I checked my Target first and no stock. It was raining, I was tired, Best Lie was close by, etc............The salesperson was actually helpful and while they had no stock, they could order it for me. Said it'd be there late Sat. night, available for pickup next day. So, I said "sign me up". That's how I came to buy a much more expensive console than I originally planned to at an establishment that I NEVER buy from. On a positive note, they didn't try to shill any useless equipment on me and a firm "no" kept the warranty sermon to just one sentence.

post #9 of 20 Old 01-10-2008, 05:54 AM

Regarding Enter Sandman on the PS3 - I'm curious where that information came from since every review lists it for the PS3 as does wiki.

PSN: brick1972
post #10 of 20 Old 01-10-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Even if it wasnt missing Enter Sandman, the DLC sure is missing a few compared to the 360's.

I got my Elite from BestBuy. No bad about that. So you didnt like the Halo version eh?
post #11 of 20 Old 01-11-2008, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm really not a fan of BB. But, desperate times....They only had the arcade version in stock. It definitely didn't meet my needs. And I doubt I ever play Halo, so didn't want a green console. Can't wait to get it. Do you think I can have it all set up and ready to go within an hour?

post #12 of 20 Old 01-11-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyHTPC View Post

Even if it wasnt missing Enter Sandman, the DLC sure is missing a few compared to the 360's.

Not to be a jerk about it, but I think PSN is now caught up to XBL or will be soon. There was a delay because Sony went on XMas break and didn't update PSN for a couple weeks.

I just hate when people report things as facts that they don't know for sure just to support their own biased opinion.

I rely on a bunch of information in other places on this site and expect this section would have the same integrity, and I'm sure other users do as well.

post #13 of 20 Old 01-11-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smastroyin View Post

Regarding Enter Sandman on the PS3 - I'm curious where that information came from since every review lists it for the PS3 as does wiki.

I personally know this as fact. I played Rock Band on a friend's PS3 at a New Year's Eve party. Enter Sandman was not in the list of songs. If he needed some kind of update then he did not have it. Out of the box, it was not there.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-12-2008, 09:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-z_H20AzOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJNcB...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRxGuieEGEo

These people must all be lying about what systems they are playing on. You can also google "ps3 enter sandman" and find plenty of links to other videos, and reviews talking about playing "Enter Sandman" on the PS3.

I think your friend doesn't have all the songs unlocked.

post #15 of 20 Old 01-16-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-z_H20AzOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJNcB...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRxGuieEGEo

These people must all be lying about what systems they are playing on. You can also google "ps3 enter sandman" and find plenty of links to other videos, and reviews talking about playing "Enter Sandman" on the PS3.

I think your friend doesn't have all the songs unlocked.

For further evidence I played Enter Sandman last night on my PS3. The only problem I have with the song selection is it will cost me about $60 to download them all if I calculated it right.

I personally enjoy the PS3, but I think you made the right decision with the 360. Sorry about your Colts, I would have liked to see them whoop the Patriots.

PSN: Ratnose
post #16 of 20 Old 01-17-2008, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratnose86 View Post

but I think you made the right decision with the 360. Sorry about your Colts, I would have liked to see them whoop the Patriots.

So, I did get the 360 and RB from BB on Sunday in time. Setup was very quick and we were ready to roll. The game was a bummer, no doubt, but I had a feeling we were going to lose this year. Now I'm saying "Go Pack". And I'm watching hockey, which is my favorite sport. Really loving RB. Though no one wanted to sing. Need more alcohol to loosen them up I guess. I was surprised at how loud the 360 is, even though I'd read several comments about it. My wii is stone silent in comparison. But, I have a great 5.1 system that easily drowns out everything else.

post #17 of 20 Old 01-17-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I would have wished to get the PS3 version for everything but I really dont like the quality of the guitar from RB. I'm on my 2nd RMA but I've also purchased another GH3 for their guitar to play RB and coop GH3 on the 360. If these worked on the PS3, I'd get everything for it and sell my 360. Thats all it was bought for. I like FPS but I just can't can't can't can't play FPS on the 360 or PS3 with analog sticks. I'm sticking with FragFX (PS3) or PC for it I guess.
post #18 of 20 Old 01-17-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratnose86 View Post

For further evidence I played Enter Sandman last night on my PS3.

Yeah I verified that its there myself with my neice's PS3 RB setup. But I think the rumor is more about DLC. I dont think thats the same.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-17-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not to be a jerk about it, but I think PSN is now caught up to XBL or will be soon. There was a delay because Sony went on XMas break and didn't update PSN for a couple weeks.

I just hate when people report things as facts that they don't know for sure just to support their own biased opinion.

I rely on a bunch of information in other places on this site and expect this section would have the same integrity, and I'm sure other users do as well.

Ok. If you say so but still not good enough for me. Also that guitar compatibility really killed it for me.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-19-2008, 11:08 PM

Thanks to all the people who verified Enter Sandman is there for the PS3. I couldn't tell from the replies if it is there and needs to be unlocked, or a separate purchase. Seems kind of weird it doesn't show you a list of songs not unlocked yet.
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page