To buy a console... (or just stick with PC) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-29-2008, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this topic has been touched, but I have some interesting variables and I'd like to hear some opinions from AVSers.

I have a Mac Pro with a 30" monitor and a Radeon X1900 card. Not top of the line but a pretty nice gaming rig. I also have a MacBook Pro laptop that I also use in my HT when I'm watching downloaded .mkv movies on my 96" projector screen (720p DLP).

I mostly play RTS games (BFME2, often networked with friends in LAN Parties) but I recently played 2-3 FPSs and enjoyed them to my great surprise: Quake 4 for Mac - tedius and unimaginative, but got me back 'into' FPS, and then beat CoD4 (LOVED IT) also got Crysis (kinda frustrating), Gears (didn't get comfortable with gameplay), Bioshock (unstable on my system - probably related to being a pirated copy) among some others.

Started thinking that I should get a 360 for Halo 3 and Orange Box (which I know is available for Windows/Boot Camp) for the projector (and superior sound system). Thinking that Co-Op Campaign mode on the big screen would be the best gaming experience (broadband sucks from India so nothing online is a viable option for me).

I also own a HD-DVD player but don't feel great about the future of that format (grr) but honestly slowed down in buying HD movies at all once I realized that I can DL .mkvs from over here in India that's 90% of the quality. So PS3 is on the radar, but not a leading contender.

I'm hoping to get a dedicated HTPC (Mac) for my new dedicated Theater in our next house (6 months away) and I'm re-thinking the 360.

So either I:

1) Be happy with gaming on the 30" and Mac Pro

2) Settle for lesser performance from a HTPC but have it on the projector

3) Buy the XBOX, learn to aim from a thumbstick and play on the projector

Input appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-29-2008, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
How's the warranty service in India? I have friends back in my home country that wouldn't gamble buying an 360 since the service is very different from what people are used to in a developed country (and we are talking about a not so small defect rate). If you think it's fine, I'd definitely do it.

Also, I'm curious how much are pirated games in India for the 360 and PS3? In Peru I remember for the PS2 you could get them for $1.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 AM

Well, I hate to be "that" guy, but how about:

4) Stop pirating the games and movies that you obviously enjoy and spend your money there first.

If you can afford all that HT and computer gear, you can afford to support and respect those of us who put food on the table by creating them for you to enjoy. Your actions are part of the reason there are so few computer games being made anymore.

That said, if you are finding that you enjoy action based games, you'll find a lot more of them on xbox or ps3 than you will on PC. Action games are where consoles really shine. The thumbsticks will never be as fast or accurate as the keyboard/mouse combo, but generally the games are created with the controls in mind. You may never really "like" using thumbsticks for FPS's, but it is possible to get used to them.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-29-2008, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The reason I haven't bought an XBOX here in India is because none of them have HDMI (needed for projector - don't want to run another 35' component, already have a HDMI switcher etc) and because I want a falcon chipset because service will be a nightmare, so I want to do what I can to minimize the risk associated with a 360.

Pirated games are only available on 'import' NTSC systems, and they're $2.50, and readily available. I don't know if I'd bother to get my American 360 hacked or not. I'm not a gaming fiend, have 2 young kids etc, so 2-3 games a year would probably be enough, in addition to the old standby RTS LAN parties with the boys.

As for BradT's thoughts, I do vote with my dollars and buy both movies and media at my discretion. There is NO HD content available here, so I either wait 6-12 months to buy discs when I'm back in the US or just download now. Not a hard choice, but I do own 35 HD-DVDs. I don't feel there's a lack of computer games at all. Glad you could let your feelings out

I just wish it would work out that my powerful gaming tower could be connected to my theater sound/projector. Since that's not going to happen, I'm trying to decide the next best thing.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-31-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The biggest thing for me when I enjoyed FPS on the PC was, I never got used to analog sticks. I'm all about precision and the consoles do not offer that.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-31-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyHTPC View Post

The biggest thing for me when I enjoyed FPS on the PC was, I never got used to analog sticks. I'm all about precision and the consoles do not offer that.

Same thing for me, analog sticks are clunky. Sure, after much practice I've gotten a lot better and do very well, it still doesn't hold a candle to what I can do on a mouse/keyboard. I know you can hook keyboards and mice to the PS3 and such, but a PC has more than enough games to keep me occupied. No reason for me to buy a console (yet). I'll save the money I would spend on a console and use it for my next video card upgrade.

The exclusives don't bother me at all, but then again I very rarely make impulse decisions. GTA3 almost made me buy a PS just to play that, but it came out on the PC so that worked. Here we go again, it will probably be a year this time again for the console version of the new GTA to be released on a PC. sigh. I can wait...
post #7 of 17 Old 03-10-2008, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
There are plenty more games to enjoy on consoles than first person shooters. I find that while FPS' are better via Mouse and keyboard, they suck for racing games and 3rd person shooter/adventure games. I used to be in the PC camp and despised the controller for FPS' but 2.5 years later, i wont look back. Ive gotten used to the controller and I am not spending the equivalent of a console every 2 years to upgrade my video card. To each his own I guess but Id rather spend that extra cash on games rather than the hardware to play them.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-11-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonstiller View Post

To each his own I guess but Id rather spend that extra cash on games rather than the hardware to play them.

360 + HD-DVD addon Gamertag: HansGreuber
PS3 Gamertag: Hans Greuber
Wii Gamertag: A bunch of numbers

Going from your sig and that you own all three current consoles (hardware), I don't believe your claim. lol
post #9 of 17 Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
get a 360

stop being a pirate

I play pc/360 the most - then wii/ds/psp some - ps3 is dusty except the play button on the blu ray remote.

REW...most expensive freeware ever...

post #10 of 17 Old 03-12-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I like my ps3 for blu ray movies and a few games

I like my 360 for many games.

I like my pc for rts and a few other type of games like freelancer.

If I had to choose, I would pick the 360 for the amount of game time and number of friends who play the 360.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 PM

Stop pirating and buy them like the rest of us.

Get a 360 if you plan to do gaming.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-12-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

For me, gaming on my Pioneer Pro 73inch TV w/ 5.1 surround sound set up beats gaming on my 22inch monitor on my desk w/ mouse and keyboard anyday.

Onkyo 605 - Pioneer Pro-730HD - HD-XA2
XBL: Degenerazn
PSN: Degenerazn
Wii: 8392 0559 3275 9767
post #13 of 17 Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Except for rts games. Consoles just don't seem to do them right. But the big screen helps for a lot of games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn View Post

For me, gaming on my Pioneer Pro 73inch TV w/ 5.1 surround sound set up beats gaming on my 22inch monitor on my desk w/ mouse and keyboard anyday.

post #14 of 17 Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarper View Post

Except for rts games. Consoles just don't seem to do them right. But the big screen helps for a lot of games.

Very true, you'll see me back on my PC a lot when Starcraft II comes out. Same goes for MMORPGs but I tend to stay away from them in fear of having my life sucked away.

Onkyo 605 - Pioneer Pro-730HD - HD-XA2
XBL: Degenerazn
PSN: Degenerazn
Wii: 8392 0559 3275 9767
post #15 of 17 Old 03-19-2008, 12:30 PM
M4H

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 View Post

I have a Mac Pro ... a pretty nice gaming rig.

I'll finish reading the rest of your post after I stop laughing.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-11-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn View Post

I always hear stuff like this, and you are of course entitled to you opinion, but it doesn't ring true with me.

5:1 sound system? Had that on my PC before 360/PS3 existed.
73 inch TV? Connect that baby up to the PC, it's not hard.
That said, you sit closer while viewing a PC display, so it gives the same effect (filling up your vision) as viewing a larger screen while sat further away. It's also worth noting that a 24" or higher PC display will usually be running at ahigher resolution than a 1080p HDTV.

24-27 inch PC LCD = 1920X1200
30 inch PC LCD = 2560x1600

Some people do not like being stuck in front of a desk in order to play PC games, but to be honest, there is no way in hell I would want to be sat on a sofa...
I like sitting unhealthily close to my screens, it allows me to take in the whole game without outside distractions.

[/PCfanboyrant]
post #17 of 17 Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hey just to update you all briefly on what ive done and how its gone, I got the 360 and orange Box and halo 3 and have used it more on the last week of vacation ( with tiny but amazingly adequite pocket projector- pk20) and I'm fine with the thumb sticks now and enjoy the vibrate feedback as well. Even on my 720p projector its inferior to pc gaming graphically but still a good experience. A week ago I'd have said the xbox was a mistake but after giving it another 20 hours it was a good decision. The wife and friends play dance dance revolution also. Sorry for typos this post is via poolside wifi on my iphone
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page