What were some great Dreamcast games? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently compiling a list of all the games I want in my collection, a project that's no small undertaking and is probably going to take me a long time to complete simply for the sheer amount of money it's going to cost. Anyway I started jotting down the Dreamcast section and all I've come up with is Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and Crazy Taxi. Can you guys gimme some more reccomendations? I know the Dreamcast had some really great games before it died prematurely. O and I already thought of Soul Calibur, Powerstone, and Rez fwiw, they don't make the list because I'm not into fighting games and I already have Rez HD on my 360 so I can't justify whatever the ungodly cost a copy of Rez goes for on eBay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-01-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
The DC version of Rez is the worst one anyway. And the Sonic Adventure games were creaky and lame (classic 6/10s) when they came out, I doubt they are worth playing today.

The DC is over a generation old, so you should be careful and not just get games acclaimed when they came out. Advances in 3D and game design have made a lot of games of that era obsolete. So 3D titles like MDK2, Rayman 2 (which was actually ported from the N64), Jet Grind Radio, and Fur Fighters I would be careful with. Plus, that controller is a dog.

If you like shmups there are LOTS on the platform, including Giga Wing 2, Mars Matrix, Zero Gunner 2, Under Defeat, and Border Down - five excellent games not on any other platform. There's also Bangai-O, and I think a DS sequel is coming soon. Actually arcadey throwbacks (this includes fighters) is where the system excels and is its legacy.

Possibly my favorite game on the system is Virtual On, but without the Twin Sticks don't bother. They can get very expensive. Typing of the Dead is a great game too, but you'd have to buy the keyboard, and there's a PC port anyway. The Shenmue series is cool, but you can get Shenmue 2 on Xbox for like $3.99 from any GameStop (I actually recommend doing this).
post #3 of 22 Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

The DC version of Rez is the worst one anyway. And the Sonic Adventure games were creaky and lame (classic 6/10s) when they came out, I doubt they are worth playing today.

The DC is over a generation old, so you should be careful and not just get games acclaimed when they came out. Advances in 3D and game design have made a lot of games of that era obsolete. So 3D titles like MDK2, Rayman 2 (which was actually ported from the N64), Jet Grind Radio, and Fur Fighters I would be careful with. Plus, that controller is a dog.

If you like shmups there are LOTS on the platform, including Giga Wing 2, Mars Matrix, Zero Gunner 2, Under Defeat, and Border Down - five excellent games not on any other platform. There's also Bangai-O, and I think a DS sequel is coming soon. Actually arcadey throwbacks (this includes fighters) is where the system excels and is its legacy.

Possibly my favorite game on the system is Virtual On, but without the Twin Sticks don't bother. They can get very expensive. Typing of the Dead is a great game too, but you'd have to buy the keyboard, and there's a PC port anyway. The Shenmue series is cool, but you can get Shenmue 2 on Xbox for like $3.99 from any GameStop (I actually recommend doing this).

I'm pretty aware they're outdated. I'm buying for my collection and for the nostalgia factor, I have some fond memories of playing Sonic Adventure. If I want cutting edge graphics and gameplay I'll fire up my 360 or PS3. I forgot about Jet Grind Radio and Shenmue though, I'll add those to the list thanks.
post #4 of 22 Old 02-04-2008, 01:17 PM

Liked: 11
Off the top of my head, Grandia II, Space Channel 5, Metropolis Street Racer, Phantasy Star Online (still fun without the offline), Daytona USA, Gundam Side Story, and F355 Challenge. Also Tokyo Extreme Racer 2 (which is my favorite in the series). I'm a big racing game guy, so those dominate my list.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-06-2008, 01:19 PM

I really enjoyed Shenmue and Resident Evil Code:Veronica. I think there was also a Shenmue II, but I can't remember if it was for DC or XBOX.

EDIT: Just read the rest of the second post and answered my own question.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-07-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Not having fighting games on your list downgrades the DC's glory. The Marvel vs Capcom series has to be mentioned.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-07-2008, 02:11 PM

http://www.digitpress.com/index.htm

Go to that site, register and then you can get the experts answers.

Here's some more suggestions though:
Expendable
Seaman
Gauntlet Legends
Maken X (well I might be the only who liked this...)
Record of Lodoss War
Skied of Arcadia
Slave Zero
Soul Fighter
Starlancer
post #8 of 22 Old 02-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 and 2.... The Nintendo 64 version had good graphics, bad sound. The Playstation version had bad graphics, good sound. The Dreamcast had good graphics AND good sound.

Ecco the Dolphin was also good, but it was HARD!
post #9 of 22 Old 02-07-2008, 10:33 PM

Liked: 93
Seaman is a must have! There is nothing else like it.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 AM

Toy commander
Seaman
Shenmue
Skies of Arcadia
Ferrari F355 Chanllenge
Test Drive Le Mans
Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage
post #11 of 22 Old 02-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Chu Chu Rocket

X360 games up for trade/$: GTA4, Top Spin 3, Jericho, Dark Sector, RB6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge, Gears of War -- PM me!
post #12 of 22 Old 02-08-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

My DC's put away. Do they support 5.1? Do they have component connections?
post #13 of 22 Old 02-08-2008, 10:07 AM

Liked: 11
Composite, S-Video, and VGA for video, 2.0 analog for audio.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-12-2008, 12:32 PM

Besides the great titles everyone else has listed I enjoyed Hidden & Dangerous, Metropolis Street Racer, D2, and MDK 2. Oh and the wife loved Space Channel 5.

360/PSN ID - PanzerNinja
http://www.gamersvantage.com
post #15 of 22 Old 02-12-2008, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I still love my DC, my favorite games are:

Virtua Tennis & Y2k
Shenmue
Rez
Daytona

and many more.
post #16 of 22 Old 02-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Grandia II, Crazy Taxi, Resident Evil CODE: Veronica, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Soul Calibur, Jet Grind Radio, F355 Challenge, MDK2, Sonic Adventure, Marvel vs. Capcom 1 & 2, Mars Matrix, Dead or Alive 2, Virtua Tennis...
post #17 of 22 Old 02-14-2008, 10:46 PM

I have to recommend Shenmue, Shenmue 2 (PAL Dreamcast version) let's be honest... the Xbox has a bad d-pad... it makes playing... annoying.

the best version of Grandia 2 is on Dreamcast as well... a lot of the other goodies would be kind of useless now that the online doesn't work... oh yeah can't forget Power Stone and Power Stone 2!
post #18 of 22 Old 02-14-2008, 10:51 PM

Shenmue 2 on the Xbox is far, far better than the DC version.
post #19 of 22 Old 02-15-2008, 05:41 AM

If you can land a copy, Rival Schools: Project Justice was FUN, but it was Japanese and required some kind of mod to run on american Dreamcasts. I remember playing it in 01'.
post #20 of 22 Old 02-17-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Shenmue 2 on the Xbox is far, far better than the DC version.

I disagree... as I've played both. The Xbox version seems to have some issue running the free battle smoothly... to make matters worst D-Pads on Microsoft controls suck so there's a pretty good chance if you press in a command it'll be received wrong by the worst D-pad ever.
post #21 of 22 Old 02-18-2008, 12:29 AM

Yeah, I played both as well. Load times were horrible on the DC version. Additionally, the d-pad on the DC controller was just as bad as the Xbox's. Framerate issues existed on both versions of the game, just not always in the same place in each edition. With how common loading was in that game, the quicker loads of the Xbox made the experience far nicer to play.
post #22 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I don't know how much Shenmue 2 European is nowadays, but the Xbox version is probably about $3 at any GameStop with a big used game library. It's not worth hunting down the DC version for what is at best an identical experience.

The best games on the DC today are shooters. The 3D games have aged badly, not just in graphics but gameplay as well (MSR? When PGR4 is on the shelves? Seriously? And playing 3D action games with that controller sucks) and a lot of the fighting games have gotten slightly better ports or emulated releases on other platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrell3000 View Post

If you can land a copy, Rival Schools: Project Justice was FUN, but it was Japanese and required some kind of mod to run on american Dreamcasts. I remember playing it in 01'.

No mod required. Just a boot disc. Pirating and playing import games on DC was laughably easy. Sega really botched that one.
Reply General Gaming Help

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page