AVS Forum banner

Wii deals thread

72K views 481 replies 74 participants last post by  voodoozen 
#1 ·
I figure since many Wii owners are probably budget conscious, and Amazon, etc. has been doing a lot of deals on Wii games as late, it'd be handy to have a thread here where we can all notify each other of good bargain finds. Thanks to any contributors.

I'm not sure if this kind of thread is against the rules, but if it is, someone let me know and I will delete it. Delete the crap out of it.

No More Heroes $30 shipped

Okami $37 shipped

Madden NFL 08 $30 shipped

#253 ·
Hmm I could get the beatles game, metroid prime trilogy, and wii sports resort. Not sure it's worth spending even 2 games worth for those 3 right now though.

#254 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 /forum/post/17281753

Hmm I could get the beatles game, metroid prime trilogy, and wii sports resort. Not sure it's worth spending even 2 games worth for those 3 right now though.

Well, you'd pay the $60 that The Beatles will run you new, but either of the $50 games (Resort, MP trilogy) for free is a SMOKIN' DEAL. Resort of course also nets you a M+ add-on.

#255 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/17261742

Best Buy is offering a free game of your choice with the purchase of a Wii for $200.

Also, Dell.com has Wiis for $170 shipped with coupon code N4ZVL$MQSSFGT8. I believe that's a record low for a new, nonrefurbished unit. Now where's that guy who said he'd buy a Wii when he could get one for $150? Is this close enough?

Too bad I missed out on those deals. I bought one for $199.99 at Amazon. If you ordered by 10/3/09 you got a $25 Amazon gift card (arrives within 10 business days of purchase). It seemed like a good enough deal to pull the trigger. I'm sure there will be more similar deals as Christmas shopping season approaches.

#257 ·
It seems like I always buy something right before a new and improved version comes out. Are there any plans for a new and improved (HD) version coming out in the near future?

I will probably wait for the Black Friday ads to come out before I buy anything.

#258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright /forum/post/17307491

It seems like I always buy something right before a new and improved version comes out. Are there any plans for a new and improved (HD) version coming out in the near future?

I will probably wait for the Black Friday ads to come out before I buy anything.

Doubtful. Likley not any sooner than 2011. Nintendo is usually cagey about new products.

#260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Dude /forum/post/17339136

Monoprice has Wiimotes slightly cheaper than Amazon for $31 and chucks for $11.

Nice find. Of course, Monoprice does charge shipping, but I'm still seeing a $5.50 advantage when buying a pair from them vs. Amazon.

This makes the Wii Play bundle look bad at $44.49. I'd rather get a wiimote and nunchuck for $46.95 from Monoprice.

#261 ·
Though I've used Monoprice many, many times in the past. I can't help but be a bit suspicious about this. The product name is "Compatible Remote Controller for Wii," which just screams bootleg knockoff, and then you click on the product photos, the last of which shows the box, which is noticeably labeled "Wu" (with an umlaut) and not "Wii."

Meanwhile, the Nunchuck box does say "Wii," but the single customer review says it's "a bit more sensible than the Original." (I assume they meant "sensitive.") "Original" meaning "actual official Wiimote," I guess.

Anyway, it's possible these controllers work well enough, but they don't appear to be genuine first-party controllers. Just my two cents.

#262 ·
You mean you don't want to play w/ a "Wuumote", Mongo?

Gaming snob!

#263 ·
Okay, good point. I found myself staring at the wü mote trying to see any visual cues of a knockoff. It looks exactly the same from what I can tell. Which is very odd, indeed. You'd think Nintendo would have a problem with a third party producing a product that looks exactly the same as theirs! Ditto on the nunchuck.

I guess I can no longer recommend it, though. If you ever have problems with it, what's customer service going to be like at wü?

Also suspicious is that only 1 person has bought one and written a review. I suppose I'll pay the extra $5.50 and stick with OEM. Dang it.

#264 ·
I wasn't sure until I took a look at that last photo. But it seemed weird that Monoprice would be able to sell genuine, official Wii controllers at a significant discount. I mean, generic cables and whatnot is one thing, but first-party Nintendo stuff is so rarely sold at a discount.

But yeah, the "Wu" is a Chinese knockoff. I had thought it was some sort of all-in-one gaming system that had a few crappy motion-control games preloaded; I didn't know the controllers actually worked with the Wii! I dug up a few customer reviews of the Wu nunchuck, which confirms pretty much what I'd expect: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14236

Frankly, I don't like using third-party controllers in general (even legitimate ones), let alone Chinese (probably illegal) knockoffs. Third-party controllers just never feel right to me. And that's just for analog sticks, buttons, and ergonomics; I trust them even less to get motion-sensing right.

That said, I'd be curious to hear impressions if someone hear felt like ordering up a Wümote.

Edit: Wümote/Wü Nunchuck combo for $27 shipped, plus additional photos/details: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14202 You know, honestly, at that price, it might be worth trying out for casual gamers with young, destructive children.

#265 ·
Obvious wii noob here looking to catch up on some of the great titles of the past 3 years. I was hoping to score some at a bargain, but that can be a challenge, as has been discussed many times before.

Should I jump on this deal?

Super Mario Galaxy

$39.49 shipped at Amazon

Other must-have titles I'm still hunting down "best deals" on are:
  • Mario Kart Wii w/ Wii Wheel ($46.99 shipped)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ($39.49 shipped)

All titles are in new condition.

I will probably wait until closer to Black Friday for Wii Fit Plus w/ balance board. EA Sports Active still seems a bit pricey at $49.99 too.

What to buy first...this is tough...

Edit: I think I just answered my own question. Get all 3 for $100 (plus tax) in-store at Toys R Us during their buy 2 get 1 free deal. Yes!! If anyone sees a reason why these 3 games wouldn't be a solid choice to get me started, lemme know. TIA.

#266 ·
I know it probably sounds like I work for Toys R Us at this point, but Buy 2 Get 1 free sale going on right now, perfect for people building up their Wii library...

Otherwise, I'd say those are pretty decent prices. As you said, Nintendo first-party stuff rarely goes on sale. I doubt you'll do better than $40 for years. I'd buy Galaxy or Kart first, depending on whether you'd rather a single-player or multi-player showcase, then Zelda.

#267 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/17340642

I wasn't sure until I took a look at that last photo. But it seemed weird that Monoprice would be able to sell genuine, official Wii controllers at a significant discount. I mean, generic cables and whatnot is one thing, but first-party Nintendo stuff is so rarely sold at a discount.

But yeah, the "Wu" is a Chinese knockoff. I had thought it was some sort of all-in-one gaming system that had a few crappy motion-control games preloaded; I didn't know the controllers actually worked with the Wii! I dug up a few customer reviews of the Wu nunchuck, which confirms pretty much what I'd expect: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14236

Frankly, I don't like using third-party controllers in general (even legitimate ones), let alone Chinese (probably illegal) knockoffs. Third-party controllers just never feel right to me. And that's just for analog sticks, buttons, and ergonomics; I trust them even less to get motion-sensing right.

That said, I'd be curious to hear impressions if someone hear felt like ordering up a Wümote.

Edit: Wümote/Wü Nunchuck combo for $27 shipped, plus additional photos/details: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14202 You know, honestly, at that price, it might be worth trying out for casual gamers with young, destructive children.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29592

And this one, if you want your knockoff Wuumote/'chuck in black.

#268 ·
On the Wü mote, here were some comments by one reviewer:

Quote:
The specs say that these do not have any "Nintendo markings". To the contrary, these look exactly like my existing controllers. It says "Wii", not Wuu and it does have Nintendo on the battery cover and Nunchuck connector. The plastic feels exactly like the real thing, not some cheap imitation. I used a marker to indicate inside the battery compartment where I got this, since I probably won't be able to tell once it's put with the other controllers.

Now to see if my boys can tell the difference when they actually use it.
Bold added for emphasis

Quote:
Well, after using it for a couple of hours yesterday, these play exactly like the "real thing." The only thing that is really different is the level of sound coming out of the remote. It is louder and distorted. Considering that is the only difference, this is an outstanding deal...
Another review adds:

Quote:
...they work with WiiMotion Plus without Problems!
Another good question was if there were any problems with Guitar Hero. That's undetermined since the question went unanswered.

I have a 15% off coupon from Babies R Us (can also be used at Toys R Us). I'm going to see if they'll let me stack this with the Buy 2 Get 1 Free on the games. The fine print on the coupon does not say "cannot be combined with any other offer" etc. My guess is they won't, but that would be sweet to get 3 for $85.

#269 ·
Maybe they're the real deals, and perhaps "fell off a truck somewhere out past the Jersey Turnpike"

If they are working w/ M+, then GH guitars/drums should be no problem I imagine

#271 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy /forum/post/17341401

...I have a 15% off coupon from Babies R Us (can also be used at Toys R Us). I'm going to see if they'll let me stack this with the Buy 2 Get 1 Free on the games. The fine print on the coupon does not say "cannot be combined with any other offer" etc. My guess is they won't, but that would be sweet to get 3 for $85.

Update: After a little bit of arguing, they accepted the 15% off. I was not able to get Zelda: Twilight Princess though.
The employee said it is no longer being produced. I replied, "Really? It is still available on toysrus.com." He said out of print titles are only available online. My 15% off coupon was an "in-store only" offer, and I didn't want to pass that up.

What I wound up doing was getting EA Sports Active ($59.99), Super Mario Galaxy ($49.99) and Mario Kart Wii ($49.99). With one free and the 15% off, it worked out to $99 out the door.

#272 ·
 http://wii.ign.com/articles/103/1034907p1.html

Sort of a "deal".

Black Wiimotes & nunchucks hit US retail next month (11/16/09). Black 'chuck runs the same $19.99.

Black Wiimotes will cost $49.99, but will come packed w/ a MotionPlus addon (also black). Saves you $10 on a M+ doodad.

#273 ·
Amazon, probably competing with the TRU deal this week, is running a B2G1 sale of their own for Wii, DS, PS3 and 360 games. Unfortunately the selection is limited, unlike TRU's "anything we have in stock" approach, but it's a decently sizable selection and Amazon's generally lower prices help sweeten the deal.

#274 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/17353407

...Unfortunately the selection is limited, unlike TRU's "anything we have in stock" approach, but it's a decently sizable selection and Amazon's generally lower prices help sweeten the deal.

By the way, toysrus.com sold out of Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Twilight Princess after I got back and checked their online stock to compare it with what games were available in my local store. The moral of the story: make sure you shop early before the good stuff is gone.

I wouldn't have thought the demand for 3 year old games would be that high. Then again, there is a new wave of Wii owners like me that made the jump when the console dropped below $200.

#275 ·
I'd say the overall best place to get new Wii stuff is on Amazon. Free shipping over 25 bucks. I don't like buying anything of this nature off of questionable sites that may have the same thing for 1 or 2 bucks less. It's not worth it to me. I bought a Wiimote, nunchuck, and Wii Motion Plus for 68 bucks shipped. That beat the heck out of going to Target and paying 80 bucks plus tax. I won't buy any of this stuff in retail stores anymore. As far as games go, I buy all of it used at my local used games stores if I see them for a good price (NOT GAMESTOP) and what I can't find there I normally look for a good seller on Ebay. But for new games that I absolutely must have when they're released I always look at Amazon first since I pay no tax or shipping and their new games are always about 3 bucks cheaper.

#276 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio /forum/post/17365362

I'd say the overall best place to get new Wii stuff is on Amazon. Free shipping over 25 bucks. I don't like buying anything of this nature off of questionable sites that may have the same thing for 1 or 2 bucks less. It's not worth it to me. I bought a Wiimote, nunchuck, and Wii Motion Plus for 68 bucks shipped. That beat the heck out of going to Target and paying 80 bucks plus tax. I won't buy any of this stuff in retail stores anymore. As far as games go, I buy all of it used at my local used games stores if I see them for a good price (NOT GAMESTOP) and what I can't find there I normally look for a good seller on Ebay. But for new games that I absolutely must have when they're released I always look at Amazon first since I pay no tax or shipping and their new games are always about 3 bucks cheaper.

Amazon is often the best option for anything!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.