What's the verdict: are Monster cables really worth it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 05-29-2008, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've always bought Monster cables...I'm looking at getting the Wii component cables...but 60$ is an aweful lot of money. Now, if there is even a subtle differance it would be worth it to me. But technically speaking, I got the official Nintendo components now, CAN there even be a differance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 05-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Before the Monster bashing club starts session, I just thought I'd say that only someone that has actually used both on the same TV can have an informed opinion on which looks better. There is definitely a possibility that the Monster cables could look better. Then again there is the possibility that they wouldn't. However, even if there was a marginal improvement from the Monster Wii cables, it could be negated by processing/scaling in your TV. Better component cables should really only have a significant impact at much higher resolutions like 720p/1080i/1080p. The amount of bandwidth needed for 480p signal is minimal in comparison (13.5mhz for 480p vs 36mhz for 720p).
post #3 of 35 Old 05-29-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for not immediately talking about price points...I actually found the cables for 25$ instead of 60$ so I went ahead and ordered them...I actually spent more than that on the official component cables.

I've had Monster cables for all of my analog connections...
post #4 of 35 Old 05-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

I'll be glad when everything has a digital connection. With connections like optical/coaxial digital and DVI/HDMI build quality is still important, but all cables that work should provide identical performance.
post #5 of 35 Old 05-29-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Right, I loved shopping for HDMI and Fiber Optic cables. It was a wonderful experience.
post #6 of 35 Old 05-29-2008, 02:06 PM

I know this may be a little late but you can get the component cables from Monoprice at a much lower price. Link is at the top of the page. I ordered them and the picture is great. Should be able to get them for less than $10 shipped.
post #7 of 35 Old 05-29-2008, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Smith View Post

I know this may be a little late but you can get the component cables from Monoprice at a much lower price. Link is at the top of the page. I ordered them and the picture is great. Should be able to get them for less than $10 shipped.

Wow.

I almost bought the recharge dock at Wal-mart for $30 something.

I didn't realize Monoprice had so much stuff

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #8 of 35 Old 05-29-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Davicho View Post

I've always bought Monster cables...I'm looking at getting the Wii component cables...but 60$ is an aweful lot of money. Now, if there is even a subtle differance it would be worth it to me. But technically speaking, I got the official Nintendo components now, CAN there even be a differance?

I know this may be an odd question, but is there something specific about the Nintendo branded cable that is leaving you wanting more?

I'd likely pick it up through them again as I did with my GCN back in the day but not if the cable has issues. Nintendo has always been really good at hardware(VB aside )

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #9 of 35 Old 05-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

I went with the official Nintendo ones for my main TV and a set of monoprice cables for when I bring the Wii on travel with me. I honestly don't notice a perceivable difference between the 2 but neither are Monster.

My preference has always been Monster for analog connections and then monoprice for digital but I'm finding it harder and harder to fork out the extra dough for Monster's when I'm not as confident about the "perceivable difference" they offer. I'd say test em' against either the official Nintendo ones or the Monoprice ones and return the set that you think is inferior.

Hat Trick: XBOX 360, PS3, Wii

XBL GT: Osiriis
PSN GT: Poseidon44
post #10 of 35 Old 05-30-2008, 05:59 AM

Liked: 93
"Before the Monster bashing club starts session, I just thought I'd say that only someone that has actually used both on the same TV can have an informed opinion on which looks better."

Another way to put that would be to say that only a person that owns both can have their opinion colored by their personal belief that the Monster cable should look better, therefore they will find it to be better. Human perception is an amazingly easy thing to trick, and Monster Cable is a wonderful example of that practice in action.
post #11 of 35 Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperron View Post

There is definitely a possibility that the Monster cables could look better.

No, there's not.
post #12 of 35 Old 05-30-2008, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

There are a lot of people who would immediately dismiss Monster cables as a load of crap...I'm not claiming for a second that they are not expensive, but these are not digital cables we are talking about. I have noticed a clear difference in sharpness and color quality between my old PS2 components and the Monster ones...that difference was the only reason I began buying Monster cables to begin with.

Digital cables I just order from Cables-to-Go, analog cables I'm a bit more picky about. Although I still won't buy Monsters at retail (Circuit City, etc.) price.
post #13 of 35 Old 05-30-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

People could have been brainwashed into thinking monoprice looks as good too. It works both ways. I tend to believe it though.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
post #14 of 35 Old 05-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I've heard Monster cables perform better only when used in tandem w/ Bose equipment.

My Basement Theater/Rec Room
"I don't have some way to put it...that's the way it is."
post #15 of 35 Old 05-30-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frorule View Post

I've heard Monster cables perform better only when used in tandem w/ Bose equipment.

LOL!

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #16 of 35 Old 05-30-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

There are a lot of people who would immediately dismiss Monster cables as a load of crap...I'm not claiming for a second that they are not expensive, but these are not digital cables we are talking about. I have noticed a clear difference in sharpness and color quality between my old PS2 components and the Monster ones...that difference was the only reason I began buying Monster cables to begin with.

It's your money, but if you know what is being plugged in then bias and placebo effect can come into play... no blind test I have ever read about has shown any Monster Cables, or any premium ones, to be any better than cheap cables. Hell I saw something recently comparing Monster to coat hangers and the testers (audiophiles, not Joe Sixpack who puts his rear speakers next to his front ones so he can hear them) couldn't tell a difference.

With Monster its all theory, obfuscation, and smoke screens.
post #17 of 35 Old 05-30-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 57
...in the end, how hard is it to make a cable? People think you get what you pay for- wouldn't that be nice. Bottled water and Pottery Barn furniture come to mind. Oh yeah, and Bose equipment.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #18 of 35 Old 05-30-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Fact: Monster is run by total jerks. Who stink!

More seriously, as a general rule, if something in the audio/videophile world is the subject of a longstanding, unresolved debate over marginal differences in performance improvement -- e.g., Monster cables, power conditioners -- I tend to take it as proof enough that it's probably not worth the money and likely bullcrap. Think about it -- experts of all kinds are totally unable to empirically prove the merit of a given product over years (even decades), and the best its proponents can offer are testimonials like "My picture looks a bit sharper now" or "I hear a bit more detail in the sound." At best, you are forking over an unreasonable amount of cash for a 50% chance that you might experience a slight increase in performance. Personally, that's not a smart gamble to me, especially being aware of how easily the placebo effect can take place.

Case in point: When I first got a "Game Genie" when I was 12, I popped in a random game ("Spider-Man and the X-Men in: Arcade's Revenge") and started putting in random codes in the hope something cool would happen. Obviously nothing did, but after a certain point, I was convinced that a flagpole near the start of the game was now almost twice as long, due to one of my random Game Genie codes. It was only when my brother pointed out that the Game Genie couldn't effect changes like that that I realized I was completely just seeing things. Moral of the story? I was really, really stupid when I was 12. But also? People see what they want to.
post #19 of 35 Old 05-30-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

The Game Genie could too do that...well...double some random sprite on top of itself....although I'm sure you would have noticed it everywhere in the game and not on one random flag pole.

Ahhh...the Game Genie...it'll break your games/Nintendo you know. Don't use it

PS...I did the same thing but just got angry after a while.

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #20 of 35 Old 05-30-2008, 01:58 PM
D96

Quote:

As a person who has worked in the AV industry for over 15 years, take me from someone who knows:

Monster cables are nothing more than good marketing. They are a HUGE ripoff. But by all means keep buying them...more money in my pocket.
post #21 of 35 Old 05-30-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Exactly...no one ever says Monster Cables are bad, just that they're vastly overpriced. We could debate the merits of a cable all day, but what is known fact is that Monster Cables are extremely high-margin items for and thus are constantly pushed out the wazoo at Best Buy and Circuit City. Yeah, that sounds like a good value to me. You're not paying for quality, you're paying to pad the seller's pockets. Buying Monster Cable is the equivalent of buying all your drinks and snacks from a movie theater. It's the exact same thing you could buy elsewhere, only it costs five times as much -- it MUST be better!
post #22 of 35 Old 05-30-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Bose is defintiely better than most audio equipment.

Got Zelda
post #23 of 35 Old 05-30-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

It's actually pretty bad when you look at it from a price to performance ratio.

post #24 of 35 Old 05-31-2008, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is unusual to see this opinion expressed on these boards. Clearly someone has never ventured into the speakers forum here.
post #25 of 35 Old 05-31-2008, 07:52 AM

Liked: 93
Bose is a lifestyle product, and for what they do, they do very well. The cosmetic design of their items is rad, ease of use is top notch, their auto-calibration is pretty damn good, and uMusic is still the smartest damn MP3 playback system on the planet.

On the other side, their speakers are cheap and don't sound very good. Plus the entire system is vastly over priced for what it offers.

I would never put a Bose product into my home. For some people though, Bose is an excellent fit.
post #26 of 35 Old 05-31-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I can't disagree with that. Many people don't really care about audio quality and only perceive sound as "on" or "off," so the form factor of Bose is appealing (not to mention its value as a status symbol). It's still gouging, but Bose at least serves a purpose in that respect. I can't think of a single thing Monster offers over competing brands.
post #27 of 35 Old 05-31-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

It is unusual to see this opinion expressed on these boards. Clearly someone has never ventured into the speakers forum here.

This place is far from perfect in their opinions. I was told over and over and over to use Ritek dvd -r for years and then people say oh wait don't use those, they degrade quickly. Basically people will use minimum facts and tell someone to base a decision on it (like science in general which always has all of it's theories reversed).

Got Zelda
post #28 of 35 Old 05-31-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Getting back to the Monster Cables, I used to have a set of components connected to my 360 before I got an elite. In my experience, the picture was nearly indistinguishable from the standard component cables that MS included. However, the extra shielding on the Monsters did eliminate the noise and other artifacts that the MS cables (which had practically no shielding) were exhibiting. So if you have a lot of cables and AV equipment around your TV, the additional shielding and gold contacts on the Monsters should help with signal quality. At least, that was my experience.
post #29 of 35 Old 06-01-2008, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This place is far from perfect in their opinions. I was told over and over and over to use Ritek dvd -r for years and then people say oh wait don't use those, they degrade quickly. Basically people will use minimum facts and tell someone to base a decision on it (like science in general which always has all of it's theories reversed).

Well, of course the flip side is that your opinion of Bose being "definitely better than most audio equipment" isn't exactly based on a whole mess of facts either, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Getting back to the Monster Cables, I used to have a set of components connected to my 360 before I got an elite. In my experience, the picture was nearly indistinguishable from the standard component cables that MS included. However, the extra shielding on the Monsters did eliminate the noise and other artifacts that the MS cables (which had practically no shielding) were exhibiting. So if you have a lot of cables and AV equipment around your TV, the additional shielding and gold contacts on the Monsters should help with signal quality. At least, that was my experience.

That may be so, but I still believe you can find cables with equal shielding and quality of contacts for much less than Monster cables cost.
post #30 of 35 Old 06-01-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Well, of course the flip side is that your opinion of Bose being "definitely better than most audio equipment" isn't exactly based on a whole mess of facts either, is it?

That is based on the fact that I am always right.

Got Zelda
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page