Tetris Party WiiWare - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So has no one DL'd this on yet? I'm curious about peoples impressions. I'm going to get it soon cause I think it's one of the few games the wife will actually play me. She's just making me unlock something in Williams pinball before we get it.

New Samsung LNTxx71f owner? Read the FAQ!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12429454
LNTxx71f owners FW list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Did not read the full review, but did see the blurb about it on IGN.com.

Headline was to the effect of the next "must own" Wii Ware title.

How's that for a review?

Agree though that this one is something the missus & I could enjoy together - as she is a Tetris freak of the highest order.

edit: OK - read their review. Would you like to know more?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/921/921717p1.html

Gave it a 9.0 overall score. Praise across the board w/ only a few slight complaints.

Basically said this game feels/looks more like a packaged Wii disc title than WiiWare. They'd recommend it as a $20-$30 disc purchase, so a $12 (1200 point) download is a steal.

Liked online play, but felt it could be stronger/more featured - but the local mutiplayer & it's numerous options are the real gems here.

And though they claimed it's really just a gimmicky thing, they also state that the Balance Board implementation is pretty good, too. If you have the Board, give it a shot. If not, you are not missing anything.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #3 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I downloaded this yesterday, practically held at gunpoint by the pseudo-missus. Basically, it's Tetris--you know what to expect. But after playing for several hours, you can readily tell it was developed by Hudson, if you know what I mean. The core gameplay is mostly solid, but the overall package isn't as refined as it could (should) be. There's just a number of stupid things that could've (should've) been ironed out, and you just know would've been ironed out had this been a first-party release. I only played the multiplayer, classic Tetris game, as frankly I have no interest in any of the extra modes. I signed up for Tetris and that's it, dammit.

These will all sound like nitpicks, but they all add up to a lack of polish that really knocks this game down a couple notches, in my opinion. I'm using WiiWare Dr. Mario as my standard here.

-First of all, the menus are stupid. There's a half-dozen submenus standing between you and starting a game, and they're not always intuitive. You can't just start a game and pick Miis--every Mii you want to play with needs to have its own data file created. This means that if you're playing with three new people, you need to create a data file for the first Mii, which sends you to the main mode-selection with that Mii as player one, meaning that you have to then exit out of that menu and go back to the data creation menu. Repeat times three. It's nice to keep stats for everyone, but surely this could've been simplified.

-The music is mostly terrible. The music selection system is stupid, too--press "-" to hear a sample of it, but don't press "2," which will select it without hearing it AND send you out of the music menu. Annoying.

-Playing with two players is fine, but with three or more, be prepared to squint. For some reason, the game squeezes all three boards into the middle of the screen, basically within the 4:3 portion of your display. Meanwhile, the sides of the screen--each of which could easily fit one of these squeezed boards apiece--is wasted with either idle nothingness or distracting background animation like falling snow or some crap (your choice). Whee! I should not have to squint playing eight feet from a 46" HDTV.

-Mii integration is lacking. I'm sorry, but having your Miis dressed as doctors--and thus being given license to make awful doctor-related jokes/jabs toward your opponent--is half the fun in Dr. Mario. If Tetris is going to waste so much of the screen in multiplayer anyway, would it KILL them to put my Mii in a Russian hat on the side, maybe doing a little dance? Think of the mildly offensive jokes that will now never be made.

-Maybe I'm old-school, but when a piece lands, it LANDS, and that's it. None of this "let you keep spinning it in place for a while before it REALLY lands" crap.

-Multiplayer could use some more options. The game seemingly never speeds up no matter how long the match continues. When playing with at least three, scoring a Tetris will send penalty lines to another player randomly--which is all well and good, but after several straight hours of playing, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that Player 1 will be getting the majority of the penalty pieces. My friends and I all switched off, and we agreed--Player 1 is likely to get the shaft, at least early on. That means if you're Player 1 and you fill half your screen, often a couple quick Tetrises from your friends will mean an abrupt game over for you.

-On the plus side, the items are more fun than I thought they would be, adding a fun, random, chaotic element to matches. The "fast drop" item might be a little overpowered, particularly if used in combination with the "no piece rotating" item. Think of it as a blue shell in Mario Kart, except it kills you immediatley and you lose the race forever.

-I might be imagining this, but I SWEAR the piece distribution is flawed. I seem to get a lot of "zigzag" pieces, but very few L-pieces. The prized long piece is basically a mythical creature in this game.

Anyway, despite the way-too-long list of nitpicks above...the game is fun enough in multiplayer, and I'm happy to have a version of Tetris easily, immediately playable from my Wii Menu. But it's lacking so much polish to the point that, instead of being the definitive version of Tetris, it's merely "the Tetris we have for Wii."
post #4 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

-Maybe I'm old-school, but when a piece lands, it LANDS, and that's it. None of this "let you keep spinning it in place for a while before it REALLY lands" crap.

This isn't their fault. It was in Tetris DS as well, and if I remember correctly, The Tetris Company requires that in all iterations now.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #5 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I kinda dug - and the wife was nuts over - N64's "New Tetris". Would be cool to see that on the VC.

Since I already have Dr Mario (and N64 Tetris if I wish to unearth the N64 & hook it up), I think I'll save the points for other things (MegaMan, GuitarHero).

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #6 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks, I'll probably get this by the weekend but I was wondering if maybe I should get it sooner. Sounds like I can wait.

And Mongo, I think I know what you mean about the Hudson comment...

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #7 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

This isn't their fault. It was in Tetris DS as well, and if I remember correctly, The Tetris Company requires that in all iterations now.

Damn "casual" Tetris players - go & screw up perfection like that!

post #8 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onund View Post

thanks, I'll probably get this by the weekend but I was wondering if maybe I should get it sooner. Sounds like I can wait.

And Mongo, I think I know what you mean about the Hudson comment...

Please elaborate. Does Hudson = sucktastic?

Not defending a publisher/developer at all, just curious.

post #9 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Hudson doesn't necessary count as "sucktastic"--I mean, they make Bomberman--but they're sort of underachieving, making mostly C+/B- games that just seem to be missing those last couple rounds of refinement. They mostly make the Mario Party games these days, which, y'know, can be kinda fun under the right circumstances (i.e., drunk)...but also kinda stupid, and definitely not great. Also they made Bomberman Act Zero, which is grounds for time-machine-aided abolishment from history.

Nice to know I can't pin that endless-piece-spinning crap solely on them, though. Oh well, most of the people I play with either will never realize they can do that, or will refuse to use it as a matter of principle.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Please elaborate. Does Hudson = sucktastic?

Not defending a publisher/developer at all, just curious.

no, not sucktastic. Just when Mongo was talking about the feel of a Hudson game it kinda made sense to me, they lack polish. I have 'My Aquarium' from WiiWare which is a Hudson title, and I have annoyances in that game too. Stupid things like you can pick the aquarium size but all that appears to do is give you a zoomed view on the actual aquarium meaning your fish can swim off screen, wtf?

Also, there are some weird quirks in the interface like when your fish get eaten by other fish, you'll see the message "fish X ate fish Y" then you get a button that says "Yes". It is a statement, not a question, so why doesn't my button say 'OK'?

And the general layout of the menus is kind of odd. To exit the simulator you have to go into the configure menu and choose exit there. If you don't do it that way then nothing is saved.

The menus themselves look really nice but I just get the feeling while using them that it could have been cleaned up or laid out better.

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #11 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Basically, Hudson strikes me as a bright kid who has a fair bit of raw talent but lacks guidance and some common sense. Shigeru Miyamoto really needs to throw a tea table at Hudson's head.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I found a source for what I mentioned before:

Quote:

PGC: Some people are citing the super rotation as a negative, because it destroys the anxiety of the timed modes, because you can delay the next piece coming down as long as you want to.

HR: Yeah, the whole thing with timed mode, that's just the thing. Because of the advent of mobile phones, and not only that but I think the play in general, people want to have more action in less time. So rather than play the way Tetris used to be played, where you start off slow and work your way up to level 15, in the space of maybe seven minutes, we put you into the high speed section from the beginning and give you two minutes of intense Tetris play. Now in that two minutes, if you make one small mistake by having a piece locked down, basically that's a game ender. There's no way you're going to take that game and have it become a record game. So the problem is you get part way through the game, make one small mistake, "Aw ****, I blew it," and restart. I think that's an annoying way to play the game. So we decided it's better to give them a way to recover from that small mistake, but you're losing time. So if you sat there and rotated for, I don't know, five seconds, you've just taken five seconds out of the game that you needed to score so many points. So you won't find in the top games any gratuitous spinning going on, it just doesn't happen. It helps the beginning player who's trying to figure out what to do. It's a useless feature (for competitive play); it only helps if you're taking the time to think. The better players don't take that much time to think, that's the difference.

PGC: So then, are those features like the ones I mentioned, are those a minimum requirement for new games?

HR: Yes, those things are in the Tetris Guideline.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/s...fm?artid=11267

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #13 of 18 Old 11-02-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I downloaded this on Friday and it's tetris, what do you know! I tried most of the different versions and they're entertaining.

The field climber game is a pain though. By the time I got to level 10 I wanted to stop cause it was late and my reactions were slooooww but I didn't want to give up on my progess.....

I was a little disappointed with the fill in the picture game. Seems cheap to me to give me non-tetris pieces, like 1-square and 2-square blocks. Ah well.

I dont' really get the acheivements section though. I have no desire to unlock them. wtf, si this how PS3 and xbox do it? Just '???' with no info on what it is or how to get it it? You just do random things and hope for the best? And when you unlock it, it just says what you did to unlock? Where's the fun in that? I'm usually big into unlocking and clearing 100% but this style of acheivement doesn't do it for me.

And wtf is up with the black bars vertical on widescreen? Does Nintendo force 3rd party developers not to use the full area? Capcom managed to pull it off in Zack and Wiki, what's the deal? If I had to guess, I would assume computer widescreen is hosing us. Computer widescreen is 16:10 I believe. So these dev houses can't seem to figure out the difference I guess? I would think that getting widescreen correct would be easy and a priority... so frustrating.

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #14 of 18 Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 AM

Liked: 18
can you play single player or is it all multi player?
post #15 of 18 Old 11-03-2008, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, there is single player as well as multi local and multi online.

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #16 of 18 Old 11-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Goo

Liked: 11
My girlfriend and me have clocked more than 30 hours on Tetris Party. It's good fun if you grew up playing Tetris.

I know it's still just Tetris, but very fun for us since we haven't played Tetris since the NES days.
post #17 of 18 Old 11-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Zoo

Liked: 11
Hi All,

I recently snagged a great deal on a used Wii and downloaded this one. SO far I have been playing single player and some on-line play.

I agree on the menus. The whole game is counter-intuitive to how most other titles I have been playing work. Right or left to move around the menu instead of up and down etc.

VC has some older gems and some of the WiiWare seems worthwhile.

Now it is time for Nintendo to work their magic with some great first party stuff.

Recent Wii owner. Enjoying HD up in the "Great White North"
post #18 of 18 Old 08-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Is there any difference between the WiiWare verion and the Retail Disc version of the game??
As I see where 'Target' has the disc on sale this week... so if the disc has "More" then I might purchase.

avid
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page