Rock band 2 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 1602 Old 01-05-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, that's you. I don't really agree that it's a better game when yuo consider everything about it. Also I think it was you who said no guitar game can come close to replicating real guitar anyway.

I forgot to also mention another tie: stat keeping. RB2 has much worse stat keeping for songs, but it evens out due to it having difficulty ratings and stars in the upper right during the song,

I really would lean towards giving the edge to RB in note layout, as you did, but I wouild also lean towards GHWT in most everything else. A tie is being very generous considering no DLC or detailed stat tracking. Those are huge deals. Maybe by the time RB3 comes out we'll get 2 DLC songs or something.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 1602 Old 01-05-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

Well, that's you. I don't really agree that it's a better game when yuo consider everything about it. Also I think it was you who said no guitar game can come close to replicating real guitar anyway.

No...neither game totally nails it. Would make the game too hard overall, I imagine, if it did.

That said, within the 1st 30 minutes of playing RB2 on XMAS day I found it does a better job of replicating actual guitar playing than GHIII or WT do. I feel like I am "playing" the song on RB2. On GH, in many cases, it's like playing "along" with the tune as opposed to actually playing the part.

There are a few exceptions on WT. Hot For Teacher & the Tool tracks are well done in terms of their respective guitar & bass parts. Rebel Yell is another. But when you compare Everlong or Go Your Own Way - or even any tune NOT shared btwn the games - it's apparent to THIS guitar player that RB programmers really nailed the "feel" of playing the instrument. And I back these opinions up with the fact thay all the above mentioned songs are ones that I can play on a real guitar & in many cases have in cover bands or when teaching aspiring guitar gods over the last 25 yrs.

Doesn't mean I hate on GH - just means RB does a better job IMO of replicating being the guitar player in a given song. But if I wanna get my hard rock/metal on, GH is tops.

Another nod to GH:WT would be in it's character customization. Over the wknd, I assembled characters for both the wife & oldest daughter on both games (now that the missus has a guitar to play). More inute detail options on GH over RB2, which obviously saw some of it's creation stuff yanked on Wii.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #93 of 1602 Old 01-05-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Replicating playing the part being better in RB2 also makes it not as challenging or fun in some cases though. people complain that GH added in notes (which i didn't notice being the case anyway), but on RB2 for some songs there's less to the note track thus less challenge also.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #94 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just to add to something Mongo & I discussed a few weeks back - - looks llike the Wii edition of RB2 does in fact allow players to link up thier band w/ the RB website & get posters and/or figurines of their characters made as well.

Mentioned prominently in the Community section of the RB2 Wii owner's manual.

So...one next-gen feature that was not stripped for Wii.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #95 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
djearl81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Happy New Year everyone! I hope 2009 brings you and yours a lot of fun.

I received RB2 band kit and a RB1 guitar for Christmas from my wife. After comparing the RB2 guitar to the RB1 guitar, I decided the RB2 guitar was worth the $10 cost. I like the spongy feel of the RB2 guitar frets. The RB2 guitar I bought to be a second guitar wasn't as clicky as the RB1 version, but not as spongy as the original RB2 guitar. The plastic between each fret appears to be slightly higher than the orignal RB2 guitar as well. (The standalone RB2 guitar has the sunburst finish and rosewood fretboard.)

This game is a ton of fun! It doesn't come close to playing actual guitar, but in some wierd way, I get most of the same satisfaction playing RB as playing on my Alvarez. Since most of my family and friends don't play music, it's really cool to be able to play these songs with them. My wife bugs me to play the game. She's never done that with any other video game.

As far as the lag is concerned, I've played the game at my house with no noticable lag out of the box. (I calabarated both video and audio and had less than 10ms either way.) However, I took the same game and instruments to my inlaws house and the game was almost unplayable due to lag on their setup. The auto calabaration was all over the board. I can see how this would be a pain in the rear and detract from the game for some people.

I'm confused too.

djearl81 is offline  
post #96 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info.

And jwebb I feel bad for you that you would put a rollseyes smiley as if people shouldn't complain about features being stripped. It's hard to believe you're my age or older because I thought only the current young people were brainwashed into thinking the customer is not oweed anything in their purchases. I want to sell you some great property for you to vacation at and be sure and not complain if it's a paper bag since the customer isn't owed what they pay for. PATHETIC that DLC is not released yet. PATHETIC. You can let them get away with it in your mind all you want, but I'm not accepting their I.L.L.E.G.A.L. claim on the box. Why don't you tell people it's ok to murder also?

Obvious what happened. They knew they would absolutely kill their sales if it wasn't released before Christmas. Thus they released it without the DLC rather than waiting. That's fine if they had been legally smart enough to print on the box DLC coming in 2009.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #97 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

Why don't you tell people it's ok to murder also?

"Some people should die.....that's just unconscious knowledge..." - Perry Farrell, Pigs in Zen, 1987

Sorry....best rock lyric comeback I could come up with.

Sorry, again....I just hate constant complainers, esp. when the complaints are in my eyes rather frivilous in the grand scheme (I make no apologies for being a "big picture" guy & see video game gimping as abyssmally low on the totem pole of humanity's problems).

Why do I not care about the missing features from RB2? Because they have ABSOLUTELY ZERO to do w/ gameplay! The GAME is the same. The "community" is essentially identical, too. Same could not be said of the 1st Wii RB. It DID lack major features. I protested not by whining about Wii getting the shaft - I simply did not buy it. But a lot of folks did - RB1 Wii SE was still in the NPD Top 20 going into the holidays.

edit: And don't reply that the current lack of DLC is a "missing feature" that I must care little about. It's an upcoming feature that the game is already set up for - big difference.

If stuff like custom logos/tattoos and what not are the deal breaker for a person, then so be it. I just want to play the freakin' game & enjoy it. Which is what I've been doing w/ RB2 since XMAS.

Something all versions have that I took a swing at & liked last night? Being a "sub" in another online band! Ended up joining an existing band out there somewhere, playing bass & later guitar. Only bad thing about the experience? The band leader picked the Grateful Dead tune at one point......oh lord how I hate the Dead! Other than that, it was a great time & worked flawlessly.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #98 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Missing songs has nothing to do with gameplay, nor does a company illegally lying to get your money matter?

Besides you have complained more than me (about other games).

And by the way yes crowd singing is part of gameplay and it missing does affect gameplay. Although some have said it is heard in everlong and some other song so I am confused why in the wii thread some complained it wasn't in it and some said it is. Unless some guy posted in it about another version. Dunno.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #99 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post


Besides you have complained more than me (about other games)..

Not saying I haven't ever complained about something in my life - but list some post links to back that claim up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

And by the way yes crowd singing is part of gameplay and it missing does affect gameplay. Although some have said it is heard in everlong and some other song so I am confused why in the wii thread some complained it wasn't in it and some said it is. Unless some guy posted in it about another version. Dunno.

Has yet to affect my gameplay - so no, I do no care about that missing feature.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #100 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lol. Because you haven't played a song WITH that feature so you don't know what you're missing. You said you want it to replicate gutiar as much as possible, so why not want it to replicate crowd activity?

People on this site stress me out.

edit: btw, they BETTER give the wii Chinese Democracy if they do for the others as I think Axl was hinting. I like every song on that cd and most have something which would be fun for me on a music game.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #101 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On another note I am going to try t finish HARD today. I have like 7-9 songs left, but I have to find them in tour mode. Sigh.

So far zero fails. On GHWT I believe I said I failed 2 songs on hard originally?

I should try vocals more. I've always felt like I would be good at it because my voice is so strong I could hold notes for a long time. But I apparently suck in some way or another since on medium I failed a song. I am hoping it was just my timing rather than my pitch. Another reason I want chinese democracy songs too because at the end of "Sorry" he draws out the word "free" for a very long time which would be cool to do. lol

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #102 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Equating delayed DLC with murder? Really?

Oh Basher. You are just the living embodiment of everything wrong with Internet message boards.
ThisOneKidMongo is offline  
post #103 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No what's wrong with internet message boards is that the majority of people on them are of one thought politically and theya re run by the same side so only one viewpoint is allowed. That's really why I started my site anyway was becasue I got tired of people being forced to hyave one viewpoint or get banned. Unfortunately I have sucked at figuring out how to get anyone staying there though.

Anyway I just had to get rid of a rechargeable battery I bought for my wii the day the Wii was released. lol So now I have 3 left which I am trying to work with and hope I can get 2 to keep staying charged.

I have a question. Does tour mode have ONLY 84 songs or more? I remember some songs are apparently on the disc besdies the main 84? Or are there not? Once my listing of songs completed/unlocked has reached 84 does it mean I have unlocked all main 84 or could some be songs made by harmonix employees?

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #104 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lol Notice all of the threads come to a halt when I actually ask a question, yet they have people posting nonstop when they want to argue.

edit: Also I think since this game is apparently terrible at keeping track of whether you passed a aprticulkar song in X difficulty (can you even tell???) I may do tour challenges for all of expert to be sure I pass all of it. Finish hard up on regular tour. Then maybe if I do bass I will do it on quick play or something. Or actually I think regular tour keeps up with instruments at least,, just not difficulty so I could do vocals, drums, bass there still.

And I will do make my own sets and random ones LATER in place of quick play. Pretty annoying though that I must have this giant plan to even be able to know if I complete everything.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #105 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

lol. Because you haven't played a song WITH that feature so you don't know what you're missing. You said you want it to replicate gutiar as much as possible, so why not want it to replicate crowd activity?

People on this site stress me out.

edit: btw, they BETTER give the wii Chinese Democracy if they do for the others as I think Axl was hinting. I like every song on that cd and most have something which would be fun for me on a music game.

While admittedly not as long as I have on Wii, I have played RB2 (& GH:WT) on 360 a few times now (generally @ the local Best Buy & GameStop while on a few XMAS shopping excursions, and again on my nephew's 360). Have played w/ the sing along crowd. Neat feature, but it's affected neither my scores or nor enjoyment of RB2 on the non-crowd participating Wii version at all.

If RB2 gets DEMOCRACY, all consoles will get it. The only Wii drawback will likey be cost. Since no "album" can be DL-ed as a whole (or so it's assumed based on GH:WT's Wii limitation), it'll be offered via single tracks - just as every RB pack/album has been. W/ Wii, there will simply be no album price/points break. Going by the cost we see over on GH, a 10-track RB album will run 200 points/track = 2000 Wii points = $20. A "discount" rate may be doable for albums on RB2 Wii, but I imagine it's unlikely.

I can think of a few albums currently on RB that I might consider buying once they become available to us, but am much more likey to just cherry pick my fave tracks instead. Plus, there is surely going to be periodic tracsk on GH I'll want, too - Wii Points don't grow on trees.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #106 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ferrisg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Suburbs of Minneapolis
Posts: 2,522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

lol Notice all of the threads come to a halt when I actually ask a question, yet they have people posting nonstop when they want to argue.

Yes, because all questions should be answered on the internet in 18 minutes or it's free.

As for your question, there are 84 songs on the disc. There are 20 more free to download, so I guess you'll have to wait until the Wii DLC situation is resolved to get those. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is the culprit here, given Harmonix's ability to release tracks over the holiday on the 360 and not the PS3 because of the way the two companies work. Also that I can't imagine Harmonix would shoot themselves in the foot by having the underlying file formats and technology not be identical between versions. But you never know.

Quote:


edit: Also I think since this game is apparently terrible at keeping track of whether you passed a aprticulkar song in X difficulty (can you even tell???) I may do tour challenges for all of expert to be sure I pass all of it. Finish hard up on regular tour. Then maybe if I do bass I will do it on quick play or something. Or actually I think regular tour keeps up with instruments at least,, just not difficulty so I could do vocals, drums, bass there still.

In the tour mode, you will see a little E, M, H, or X on the left side of the track title denoting the highest difficulty you beat the song on. Sadly it doesn't reflect your most recent playthrough or with what instrument you did it. Otherwise, nothing. You have the tour challenges, I guess. Your highest score achieved for a song is always shown in quickplay, but not the difficulty or number of stars. Luckily it does differentiate between instruments there.

Quote:


And I will do make my own sets and random ones LATER in place of quick play. Pretty annoying though that I must have this giant plan to even be able to know if I complete everything.

Quick play allows you to make set lists. I haven't hit the limit yet in how large a set list can be, but I'm sure there is one. I'm not a big fan of the tour mode if it isn't obvious from my posts.
ferrisg is offline  
post #107 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks.

And jwebb interesting you know all albums released for the other systems will be released for WIi also. I think that's a pretty bold statement considering they've alreasdy proven they will lie even at the cost of doing illegal activity.

As far as Nintendo being the culprit, nah. GHWT has the DLC running just fine. It's Harmonix.

Also my opinion of the gameplay just got downgraded big time after attempting Visions many times. After failing many times, I flat out watched a particular note scroll by and KNOW I was hitting the button at the right time and yet it would make me miss. If you miss a single note it seems to count hit notes as misses therafter. I was hitting like 1 out of 10 notes which is ridiculous. On a game counting hits properly even a chimp would hit more than 1 out of 10 notes. I sped up and slowed down my strumming and that didn't change much either. It feels like you have to hit every note or it's going to force subsequent notes to be misses. Just looking at that chart it should NOT be that hard. This doesn't feel like a case of a chart being difficult, it feels like the game mechanics forced it to be more difficult than it should. On GH if I saw a chart lined up like that I guarantee I would nail most of it and I would hit them right on time so it wouldn't be a window expansion helping.

Not to mention that the gig the song was in was a NINE SONG gig and now I had to abandon the entire gig and lost progress where I have to REPEAT 8 songs later toget back to it AND it didn't unlock the song anywhere else. AND it's the stupidest excuse for a "song" I've ever heard, perhaps. Like I want to hear that crap over and over while trying to pass it.

Oh and another point: I hope people who were told all these reasons to get RB2 have learned their lesson not to trust message board posting when deciding to get a game when it's based off of comments of what a game "will" have when the game hasn't been released. The DLC was the main thing jwebb kept pointing to when telling people to buy this game and the DLC is not even on the game. And thejokell kept saying to "trust him" that it would be identical to the other versions. Umm... no? It's not. It has no DLC.

I'm about ready to go back to GHWT I think. I was liking this game, but the gameplay is just better in GHWT. In fact, despite jwebb saying that the charting is better in this game, I just played a song where I flat out heard notes which weren't charted (like I mentioned about another song). On GHWT it charted all of the notes perfectly on hard.

Playing drums using 1 less note and bass using 1 less note aren't exactly appealing either, so it's more fun for bass easily on GHWT. Drums I havent played eough of on either game yet due to my messed up drums.

I guess jwebb and some others don't care about scores, so yes for casual players maybe RB2 is better. But to people who want to know what they scored on hard, expert, etc... it's very unacceptable how lacking the stat tracking is in this game. It has so many flaws for a game rated over a 9 it's kind of shocking.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #108 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

In fact, despite jwebb saying that the charting is better in this game, I just played a song where I flat out heard notes which weren't charted (like I mentioned about another song). On GHWT it charted all of the notes perfectly on hard.

Playing drums using 1 less note and bass using 1 less note aren't exactly appealing either, so it's more fun for bass easily on GHWT. Drums I havent played eough of on either game yet due to my messed up drums.

Wow, I decide to unignore to see what all the commotion is, and I'm 'rewarded' with great comments like this one. No s**t that you're not going to play every note of the song on hard. Otherwise, when you play on expert, they'd have to just start adding notes for no reason, like Guitar Hero has a reputation for (and you seem to confirm yourself here.)

As for bass being less fun with one less note, try playing it the right way and you'll be shocked at how difficult it can be (the right way being only upstrumming for the entire song). It doesn't affect your score but instead of the little 'reward' at the bottom saying "awesome solo", or whatever else it might say, it'll show "authentic strummer".

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
post #109 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Do replies to forum posts fall under the 18 min. rule?

While I doubt Nintendo is blameless, I wonder if the DLC delay is also a tech-related issue on HMX's end? The Wii news from HMX on 12/24 stated that the Music Store was in it's final testing stages. Perhaps just making sure they get it right for a console that cannot really have bugs patched after the fact?

Maybe (and I feel this is quite likely) HMX had needed time to process what the competition is doing for the same console in terms of it's DLC? What Activision has done right AND wrong since GH:WT rolled out. If I were HMX, I would certainly go back & address the 200 blcok limit on tracks. This is not a tech limitation of the Wii itself - many of the VC/WiiWare offerings exceed 200 blocks, as do most if not all DL-able Channels. I wonder if it's just an arbitrary number VV pulled out of a hat. Bumping such a block limit to..say, 300 - that'd open up many more possibilities for longer tunes, potential "packs", etc.

HMX has a lot at stake here. Music games are big business on Wii. We all know how well GHIII did on Wii. WT remained higher in the NPD charts over the holidays than the 360/PS3 versions & was being kept company by the "gimped" RB1 Wii set, which did great numbers before XMAS. I would imagine that HMX's #1 Wii priority - and I do think they are a 3rd party who sees Wii as a priority - is to get it right. Delaying the entire game beyond XMAS could have been commercial suicide. Better to nail down what's on the disc & available for online play out of the gate & put the brakes on the DLC business until it can be properly ironed out.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #110 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Wow, I decide to unignore to see what all the commotion is, and I'm 'rewarded' with great comments like this one. No s**t that you're not going to play every note of the song on hard. Otherwise, when you play on expert, they'd have to just start adding notes for no reason, like Guitar Hero has a reputation for (and you seem to confirm yourself here.)

As for bass being less fun with one less note, try playing it the right way and you'll be shocked at how difficult it can be (the right way being only upstrumming for the entire song). It doesn't affect your score but instead of the little 'reward' at the bottom saying "awesome solo", or whatever else it might say, it'll show "authentic strummer".

You know, I was playing bass on RB2 that way - upstrokes as I would on a bass gtr string & got the "Authentic Strummer" note (I got 100% on "We Got The Beat" on Hard).

Yeah - I have now become Basher's #1 forum nemesis. My only recourse is to IGNORE.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #111 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I had no idea about that "Authentic Strummer" thing. That's awesome. Good news to me, as I usually relegate myself to bass when playing RB with a crowd, since I'm the one that owns it and thus I give myself the "least fun" part so friends can maximize their rock stardom.
ThisOneKidMongo is offline  
post #112 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Highly doubt many people play it by upstrumming. And it's quite interesting jhof thinks that makes it better than GH's. He just wants to say RB is better in everything so he comes up with new reasons and pretends GH sucks. lol

We've already been over the "they have no ntoes they could add in expert if they put them all in hard" bs. They can simply make the positioning harder and use three note chords. Also jwebb is the one who said they made great charting in hard. So I guess great charting = missing notes.

I have now completed 81 songs on hard. And I have nowhere to go to get to the other 2 besides Visions. NOT A SINGLE GIG was unlocked by all of my gigs I did today. So now I am forced to do some gigs with ZERO new songs just to unlock other gigs and find those missing 2. I remember seeing carry on my wayward son was in this game so I assume that is one of my missing 2. That, visions, and some other song I'm not sure about are all missing.

In the visions set it said I could add a tenth song. Dunno if that is one of the missing 2 or if it is random or what.

edit: looked at the list on wikipedia. Only songs I have left are visions, carry on wayward son, and master exploder.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #113 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

Highly doubt many people play it by upstrumming. And it's quite interesting jhof thinks that makes it better than GH's. He just wants to say RB is better in everything so he comes up with new reasons and pretends GH sucks. lol

We've already been over the "they have no ntoes they could add in expert if they put them all in hard" bs. They can simply make the positioning harder and use three note chords. Also jwebb is the one who said they made great charting in hard. So I guess great charting = missing notes.

I have now completed 81 songs on hard. And I have nowhere to go to get to the other 2 besides Visions. NOT A SINGLE GIG was unlocked by all of my gigs I did today. So now I am forced to do some gigs with ZERO new songs just to unlock other gigs and find those missing 2. I remember seeing carry on my wayward son was in this game so I assume that is one of my missing 2. That, visions, and some other song I'm not sure about are all missing.

In the visions set it said I could add a tenth song. Dunno if that is one of the missing 2 or if it is random or what.

edit: looked at the list on wikipedia. Only songs I have left are visions, carry on wayward son, and master exploder.

Great charting, my friend, means the notes MAKE SENSE in relation to what you are supposed to be playing. Has nothing to do with the NUMBER of notes. On RB2, look at Spirit in the Sky. Not a lot of notes - but damn if it isn't pretty accurate to an actual guitar part. I have yet to fid a RB2 chart - at least on Hard - that hasn't made sense to my guitar playing mind. There are many on GH that also make sense - but others that as a guitar player I think "WTF were they thinking"?

As to the Accurate Strumming on Bass - bass players that eschew using a pick tend to upstroke the strings the majority of the time. By giving bonus points or praise in RB for playing a bass part in that fashion just makes the bass element of the game more "realistic". I can say that I enjoy RB2's bass over GH's. But only WT has the Tool songs whose bass parts are more akin to guitar (and fun to rock outon).

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #114 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why is RB bass more fun? You can upstrum in GH also if that's what you want to do. It'skind of annoying people are trying to paint it as "not authentic" to play it with downstrum anyway. This is not a bass guitar, it's a toy guitar which people are accustomed to downstrumming on. I would imagine it's much weirder upstrumming this plastic strum bar than upstrumming in real life.

I enjoy bass in GH VERY VERY much. The added open note is a HUGE addition. It added extra "gameplay" (which you say is the most important factor) because it definitely added challenge.

As far as great charting meaning notes make sense... how does it make sense to have missing notes? If you play bass in real life, it makes sense for noise to come out when you're not playing it? Maybe a ghost plays bass along with you when you play?

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #115 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
 
kkrambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I had no idea about that "Authentic Strummer" thing. That's awesome. Good news to me, as I usually relegate myself to bass when playing RB with a crowd, since I'm the one that owns it and thus I give myself the "least fun" part so friends can maximize their rock stardom.

*whispers to Mongo* Our un-gimped PS3 version has a Trophy for 100% upstrum on expert bass. But don't tell Bashers that the Wii version doesn't support trophies or he might accuse somebody of murder.
kkrambo is offline  
post #116 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
jwebb said it does have trophies.

People here suck on RB so much, it's getting annoying so I am not bothering "discussing" it.

I'm sick of all music games now anyway really. It's getting boring again because 1. no new DLC so the songs are getting boring and 2. there just doesn't seem to be much payoff to doing anything on them anymore. Online matches could make it a tad more interesting but I always either destroy or get destroyed on them so it's not a challenge one way or another.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #117 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrambo View Post

*whispers to Mongo* Our un-gimped PS3 version has a Trophy for 100% upstrum on expert bass. But don't tell Bashers that the Wii version doesn't support trophies or he might accuse somebody of murder.

*whispers to both - I got 100% on bass for We Got The Beat. Got "Authentic Strummer" for all upstrokes.

I see a gold trophy emblem on screen. On my Wii version.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #118 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
maybe jwebb is dreaming that he even owns this game. That would explain why he sees no flaws in it.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #119 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

*whispers to both - I got 100% on bass for We Got The Beat. Got "Authentic Strummer" for all upstrokes.

I see a gold trophy emblem on screen. On my Wii version.

Trophies are a system-wide PS3 feature akin to Achievements on the 360. Totally meaningless but add to some sort of gamerscore for their online service.

Edit: Oh, and as an example of the quality of the RB2 charting, here's someone playing real drums using the RB2 chart of a song on expert. Sounds pretty accurate as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf8LTcjWxpk

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
post #120 of 1602 Old 01-06-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Trophies are a system-wide PS3 feature akin to Achievements on the 360. Totally meaningless but add to some sort of gamerscore for their online service.

Edit: Oh, and as an example of the quality of the RB2 charting, here's someone playing real drums using the RB2 chart of a song on expert. Sounds pretty accurate as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf8LTcjWxpk

oh...it was probably just the weed....

I did see some sort of gold symbol (not a star) during an online band thing (after playing We Got The Beat), but I know of the PS3 trophies you mention.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off