post #181 of 1602 Old 01-08-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

No? Neither of those was mentioned. He said it would not be DLC and it would be out later this year. he did not say Rock Band wouldn't be part of the title or that it would be released right at the time that full fledged music games are released each year???

jwebb mentioned the standalone Beatles game, which was announced as separate from the RB franchise months ago. That announcement made headlines from everywhere to tiny videogame blogs to IGN to Rolling Stone to CNN to frickin' O magazine, but if you somehow missed all that, I can see why you might interpret "The Beatles are getting their own game from Harmonix" to mean a "Rock Band: The Beatles" game. My bad. Still, hardly relevatory information. And really, when did you think they were planning on releasing such an inevitably huge game?

On the subject though, I'm thinking they're gonna hafta include some non-Beatles songs in that game. I don't think any one artist could sustain a whole music game by itself. The GH Aerosmith game had other artists, as will the Metallica one. I think RB: AC/DC was just the one artist, but that was just a glorified track pack anyway so that doesn't count.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1602 Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would definitely rather it be U2, tom petty, rolling stones, gnr than any other group anyone has mentioned. I like at least 20+ u2 and tom petty songs. I also like 20+ from green day and probably rhcp, but rhcp already had many of their hits released.

Now that you mentioned those two though, I still can't think of many others who have a truck load of good songs. It's going to annoy me if it ends up being a recent group I don't care about.

I would have at least a little interest in pink floyd or led zeppelin, but not extreme interest on those two. But as far as more recent groups such as tool I wouldn't care for a whole game dedicated to any recent group like that.

Anyway, you're welcome. By the way tell me if you notice Visions anywhere as a stand alone song. I don't want to play that long set again and then get stuck on Visions and if I stop then ahve to go through the gig yet A THIRD time some other time.

I may try to play some GHWT songs on expert later (the hand full I didsn't already finish) and see if playing RB2 makes it easier or harder or no difference.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
post #183 of 1602 Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd love some White Stripes, but there's not usually separate bass and guitar parts (Jack White usually "fakes" bass by running the guitar through an effect). Hell, I'd argue there's a half dozen tracks on every White Stripes album that would be kickass in RB/GH if not for lack of a real bass part.

The Doors are another quality band that would be great except their lack of a bass guitar in most songs. For most Doors songs, Manzerek plays bass parts on the keyboard. You could put it in the game, but it would feel pretty cheesey. (I know Love Me Two Times is in GHWT, but I can't remember if that has a bass guitar part or not.)
post #184 of 1602 Old 01-08-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr25 View Post

I'd love some White Stripes, but there's not usually separate bass and guitar parts (Jack White usually "fakes" bass by running the guitar through an effect). Hell, I'd argue there's a half dozen tracks on every White Stripes album that would be kickass in RB/GH if not for lack of a real bass part.

The Doors are another quality band that would be great except their lack of a bass guitar in most songs. For most Doors songs, Manzerek plays bass parts on the keyboard. You could put it in the game, but it would feel pretty cheesey. (I know Love Me Two Times is in GHWT, but I can't remember if that has a bass guitar part or not.)

Love Me Two Times on GH:WT does have a bass part. Follows Manzerek's bass keyboard part.

I'd imagine a WS tune - at least one with some semblence of a bass part on record - would be cool. Jack White is surely down w/ it, since he's already popped up on GH:WT w/ Racountours & the James Bond theme w/ Alicia Keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81 View Post

Pink Floyd's "Time" would be my ultimate Pink Floyd song to play in RB. I've spent countless hours trying to nail down those solos. The intro always proves to be a little long though. (I guess it has to be that way because Toto needs time to to get back home and jump in the window to see Dorothy.)

Ahh...someone else who has fired up their DSOTM CD, Wizard of OZ tape/DVD.....and the bong, perhaps, simultaneously.

I'd love a disc full of Floyd GH/RB....but when you whittle it down to tracks that don't have way long keyboard/sound FX portions....well, you might not have a full disk worth there. You could certainly stop to take a leak & grab a snack in the middle of Echoes or large portions of Welcome to the Machine w/o pausing the game, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMnngo View Post

On the subject though, I'm thinking they're gonna hafta include some non-Beatles songs in that game. I don't think any one artist could sustain a whole music game by itself. The GH Aerosmith game had other artists, as will the Metallica one. I think RB: AC/DC was just the one artist, but that was just a glorified track pack anyway so that doesn't count

You may be right - the Fab Four game may also include other artists, but I got the feeling when this was discussed elsewhere a while back that the Beatles game would be one that follows the band's entire career from Cavern Club to Let It Be & veers away from the traditional RB/GH gameplay. Doubt there's a "Blue Meanie Maze" or "Whack-a-Yoko" mini-game or a Super Ringo Bros platformer level, but I got the vibe that this game is all about the Beatles & Beatles only.

Quote:

But as far as more recent groups such as tool I wouldn't care for a whole game dedicated to any recent group like that.

This is where you & I differ, sir. A disk full of TOOL for GH or RB? I might sell a kidney or even my mortal soul for such a thing (as long as I could have a hand in track choices!)

Of course, I'd settle for some more Tool DLC on GH or perhaps see them appear on RB - much easier to just spend some Wii points.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #185 of 1602 Old 01-08-2009, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

That's the only thing we have ever differed on? Cool.

Yeah I haven't listened to MANY white stripes songs, but I like several I have heard. Although it would be best to have a game based off of a big name past group and throw in white stripes songs along with it as opening acts.

I like a lot of the doors songs also, but I think I would be bored playing a game based off of them.

Got Zelda
post #186 of 1602 Old 01-08-2009, 06:24 PM

Visions is a single at one of the tour stops. Check Tiajuana or maybe Tokyo. Wherever it's at, I remember you can only select Hard or Expert because Easy and Medium are disabled.

Regarding keyboard charted to bass/guitar: I noticed on one of the Boston tracks that the organ solo is charted to guitar. By the way that Boston track pack is fun, probably the best pack I've purchased. Hopefully the lying liars will give you DLC soon.

White Stripes and Tool? Bleh.

I think ZZ Top could carry their own game (like Aerosmith or Metallica). I think ZZ Top's style of music is perfect for these games.
post #187 of 1602 Old 01-08-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

But zz top is another where offhand I only remember a few hits. I know a lot of people like van halen also, but that's another groupm where only a few songs come to mind rather than a big load of memorable songs. Maybe I just missed a lot of them, I dunno.

Thanks for the info, I will try to get to visions soon I guess, although I may never pass it. Did you do good on it for hard or expert? And yes I saw another song where it made me select hard or expert also.

Got Zelda
post #188 of 1602 Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81 View Post

Does Tom Petty have any songs on GH/RB? Runnin' Down a Dream could be a pretty tricky song to keep up with.

Tom Petty has been my most wanted artist in RB or GH for quite awhile now. "Don't Come Around Here No More" would have tremendously fun guitar and drum parts. And who doesn't want to sing Tom Petty songs?
post #189 of 1602 Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr25 View Post

I don't know. The drum parts wold all be be Tier 0, which would suck. Seems like the majority of their songs would only be really fun for the singer. There are some that have interesting guitar parts, I guess. And there's the obvious lack of a bass part on all of their songs that you mentioned, since even the effects pedal for a bass sound doesn't appear on lots of the songs.
post #190 of 1602 Old 01-08-2009, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as Tom Petty, I like most songs on Wildflowers and then every song on his greatest hits cd.

Got Zelda
post #191 of 1602 Old 01-09-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've found that 2 WalMarts within 10 miles of my home have the Wii RB Spec Ed sets in stock for $99.92. Nice, esp since Amazon is sold out & other vendors thru them are selling the Wii set for ridiculously high prices.

Thinking I may go ahead & get this. For a c-note, I'll have drums & guitar that'll run w/ both RB games, plus have that 1st disc that has many songs I'd like to play.

True, the 1st disc (and if I get subsequent track pack discs) won't be running within the superior RB2, but they will still be fun to play. A 3rd guitar adds to clutter, I guess - but being that my main "real" guitar has always been a Strat, I guess I should have one when rocking out "virtually". Plus, I would get those Solo buttons & FX to dick around with.

Leaves me, too, w/ an extra mic. Guess I can sell one or give one to my bro in law who has GH:WT & 2 guitars. Thinking keep the RB mic & sell/gift that High School Musical one I have now - just 'cause the RB mic is more "manly".

If the GH drums ever do make it to market on thier own, I'm guessing they'll run around $90-ish. For about the same cost I can just bolster my RB opportunities & just let GH be my "guitar"-centric game. RB wil be the "band" game.

Did see some used GH drumkits on ebay - for ungodly high prices. No thanks.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #192 of 1602 Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Basically it comes down to whether you would rather be able to play all GHWT and RB2 songs with any instrument (and supposedly with superior drums assuming they work properly) or pay $10 more to play half as many songs on drums with worse equipment in exchange for having more RB songs which are cover artists and a gimped game. If you have unlimited money (as it seems most people here do have) then get both I guess. I personally don't want to spend another $100 for those songs and instruments I don't want though. I just wish they would have some of them for RB2, but hey Harmonix can't even back up an illegal promise that there would be SOME DLC in 2008, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to ever transfer specific songs to RB2 DLC.

edit: if you don't wait for gh drums, it means you're scared I will beat you.

Got Zelda
post #193 of 1602 Old 01-09-2009, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Basically it comes down to whether you would rather be able to play all GHWT and RB2 songs with any instrument (and supposedly with superior drums assuming they work properly) or pay $10 more to play half as many songs on drums with worse equipment in exchange for having more RB songs which are cover artists and a gimped game. If you have unlimited money (as it seems most people here do have) then get both I guess. I personally don't want to spend another $100 for those songs and instruments I don't want though. I just wish they would have some of them for RB2, but hey Harmonix can't even back up an illegal promise that there would be SOME DLC in 2008, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to ever transfer specific songs to RB2 DLC.

edit: if you don't wait for gh drums, it means you're scared I will beat you.

First off...I see my music game playing leaning far more towards RB than GH at this point & likely for the future (the DLC will come...and actually the legal fine print on the RB2 box covers HMX's ass against lawsuits regarding DLC delays).

I'm fine w/ GH being "drumless" - the handful of GH tunes that I would like for drums is outweighed by the entire RB collection, where far more "drum" songs lurk (for me).

The tunes on the RB1 disc & the track packs are ones I WOULD very much like to play. More Pumpkins, Foos, Nirvana as well as Pixies, Radiohead, several classics....and on RB1 there are only 5-6 covers in total. Everything else - and really everything I desire, song-wise -is a master recording. And the Pack discs are entirely master recordings (and can be found used locally rather cheap).

It would push me to 3 guitars. 2 that work for GH & RB2, 1 that runs withn all RB stuff. I can deal with that. A drumkit for all of RB, too. Only thing I really don't need is the mic - but I can sell/gift one of mine.

If the "boss" approves (as in Mrs jwebb1970), I might be cruising by a WalMart this afternoon.

post #194 of 1602 Old 01-09-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Give me her number. I am going to tell her to not approve and to approve GH drums. Tell her I am important and to listen to me or something.

Got Zelda
post #195 of 1602 Old 01-09-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Next week's pack was announced today as lenny kravitz. Yet again NO MENTION of wii in it. I think Harmonix forgot the Wii even exists. As a wii owner there said, theyw ent to their sipport site and the word wii is not even in the support documents at all either.Any rational person should not accept them treating wii owners as second class.

And by the way remember I said that GHWT was having that country music pack and jwebb said yeah but RB2 just released one also? Well where is it? I still don't see it in my RB2 store. In fact I see nothing there. You can't use RB2 releases as evidence on why to buy it if they're not even really released. The choice is take the pack from GH or get nothing from RB2. I choose something over nothing.

Got Zelda
post #196 of 1602 Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

eh, kkrambo there is no tiajuana or tokyo in the game. unless they are hidden somehow. So not sure if you were kidding or they are unlocked some way, but they aren't showing as even dimmed future choices.

Got Zelda
post #197 of 1602 Old 01-09-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Tijuana and Tokyo show up fairly late, after you've earned many, many stars/fans. There's a bunch of hidden cities besides that. Somewhere in Iceland too, I believe.
post #198 of 1602 Old 01-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I too have seen Tijuana and Tokyo. They showed up after winning the worldwide promoter.

I'm confused too.

post #199 of 1602 Old 01-09-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I just got new cities. Sorry. Sigh, but that's so annoying that there are all these enw cities. So even afetr I have finished all but 1 song, here I am with like 40 venues left. Not fun.

edit: the song is in rio de janero though, unless it comes up later in others too.

edit: how fun. I lost even MORE fans epr try in the standalone. Two tries, 160,000 or so fans lost. And it's seriously the most ridiculous song I have ever heard anyway. I may just flat never finish hard because of that song. It's annoying me that if I miss a note it carries over and makes me miss more.

I'm gojng back t GH for a while probably. Maybe going to get some new DLC which RB2 does NOT offer to me and I am going to attempt some songs I never passed on GH I guess.

Got Zelda
post #200 of 1602 Old 01-09-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

edit: how fun. I lost even MORE fans epr try in the standalone. Two tries, 160,000 or so fans lost. And it's seriously the most ridiculous song I have ever heard anyway. I may just flat never finish hard because of that song. It's annoying me that if I miss a note it carries over and makes me miss more.

It doesn't.
post #201 of 1602 Old 01-09-2009, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

it doesn't what? Yes it does carry over. As I mentioned before I have flat out looked very closely at the screen while hitting some of the notes and it feels like it's locked up and won't register.

Besides after I have seen for myself that jhof was wrong abut presentation being better in RB2 than GHWT, anything that is subjective I am not assuming is true anymore. So maybe to you it seems like it doesn't carry over, to me it feels locked up. And as far as presentation, when I went back to GH today it is extremely obvious how much better the GH presentation is. Nice big fonts in some areas. Artist names right there with the song titles unlike most places in RB2. Better graphics and venues for GH. MUCH better stat tracking in GH. SEPARATE careers for the instruments in GH and easy to tell what your best scores for a difficulty are. In RB I have barely any desire to play bass when it's not even separated out as a separate tour. I mean how stupid is that? You get a career total and yet there is no distinction between guitar and bass so for some songs you may have your high score via guitar and some via bass and those all count towards your career score which is weird.

Also people kept insisting that the window was tighter on RB. I've actually had notes register on RB where I am almost positive I mis-timed it, meanwhile on GH I came much closer to hitting them properly and they registered as misses. So really everything people have told me has been different than they said. They also said hey get RB2, it has a bigger catalog. Umm... nope? It has zero DLC. I'm trying to think what HAS been accurate as far as what people here said about RB2 vs GHWT. More fun = sunjective. Better charting... I don't know yet. But I haven't really noticed it.

Got Zelda
post #202 of 1602 Old 01-10-2009, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

If I read right RB2 has wireless drums without needing an additional Wiimote. That helps with the PIA factor in terms of always needing to plug in a wiimote (or buy an additional on if I want to play the full band). Are the guitars the same way, i.e. no wiimote needed to play wirelessly on the Wii?
post #203 of 1602 Old 01-10-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I personally thought that the RB instruents didn't need the wiimote plugged into them, but that the RB2 ones did. But we'll see what people say. I do know for a fact you must have a wiimote plugged in to use the microphone. (well I mean you must have a wiimote turned on and devoted to it, not plugged into anything).

Got Zelda
post #204 of 1602 Old 01-10-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I personally thought that the RB instruents didn't need the wiimote plugged into them, but that the RB2 ones did. But we'll see what people say. I do know for a fact you must have a wiimote plugged in to use the microphone. (well I mean you must have a wiimote turned on and devoted to it, not plugged into anything).

Don't know about the RB1 instruments, but the RB2 drums and guitar have built-in wireless and do NOT need the wiimote. The instruments have a built-in dpad and enough buttons to navigate the interface without a wiimote.

The mic is bare bones wired USB mic. You are correct: you need to have a dedicated "naked" wiimote to select songs/difficulty/etc. when using the mic.
post #205 of 1602 Old 01-10-2009, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RB1 is the same.

Instead of going w/ the $99 RB1 set to expand my RB play, I went ahead & grabbed the RB1 drumkit today @ GameStop. $30 new.

Guess I assumed RB1 used a wireless kit + dongle. Actually, it's a wired kit - has what appears to be about an 6-8 ft USB cable.

Only messed w/ it a bit so far, but I do dig it. Also found that I can adjust the legs to thier highest level & I can play them standing up - I feel like the old drummer from Prince & the Revolution! Got some Purple Rain flashbacks this afternoon.

Interestingly, 2 GameStop employees discouraged me from going w/ the GH drums today. This particular store apparently has had close to a dozen sets brought back since XMAS (all versions, too)due to breaking/not working. Seriously thinking GH will be a guitar/bass/vocals game only for me.

At some point, I will likely run across a used RB gtr as well as the RB1 discs to complete my Wii RB collection on the relative cheap.

post #206 of 1602 Old 01-10-2009, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I told people the drum issues were widespread, but then a couple people posted implying theirs were fine so I was imagining it or something.

I still figure my replacement will be good. I hope.

I just played 19 songs on Challenge for expert guitar on RB2. Out of the 19 I think I had 1 3star, 6 4 star, and 12 5 star so far. One song I almost failed yet ended up 5 starring.

I think its fun and challenging enough on expert so far considering it's the early songs.

However THEY.HAVE.DUPLICATES.IN.CHALLENGE.MODE.TOO. Already on the second section of challenges I noticed spirit in the sky for the marathon AND the guitar set list which was separate.

Anyway expert is challenging in parts, but I still get over 90% on all, gold 5 starred one, and honestly I feel like a LOT of the difficulty is unnecessary and due to the notes being rectangular. I know it seems weird, but the shape of the notes are screwing me up when a lot are in a row. On GH I did GREAT at those notes. On RB2 it feels too ODD going from rectangle to rectangle. They are BIGGER than GH notes, so also it "feels" like not as much time between them either. It's just odd trying to hit them in long strings somtimes. And also considering the notes are larger, I doubt there's much to the claim that the window is tighter.

I went to music store. SHocker, still no songs for me. But anyway bottom line is the songs are FUN on expert so far.

Got Zelda
post #207 of 1602 Old 01-11-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Basher, of course there are duplicates in the Challenges. There's like 50 challenges and 84 songs in the game...do the math. If you don't want to see any duplicates, just do the guitar challenges. When you finish the Warm Up guitar challenge, you'll unlock the Apprentice guitar challenge, and then the next one and so on. You'll never play the same song twice.

I said it a week ago, but if you are going to attempt to clear 100% of any game, be prepared to play the same parts over and over again. Do you complain about backtracking in Metroid and Zelda when you are trying to find that last missile capacity upgrade or skulltulla thing? They are optional and only there for completionist nuts. If you don't want to repeat songs, just don't play those challenges and quit complaining about it. Nobody is forcing you to play them over and over again.
post #208 of 1602 Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't complain that 100% takes playing duplicates. I complained because you said that "if I didn't want duplicates, play challenges". You did not say do only certain challenges. So how am I supposed to know that doing only the guitar ones will get me every song? You simply said to play challenges and it didn't have duplicates thatw ay. So you can't then blame me for being surprised there are duplicates when you said there weren't any.........

Got Zelda
post #209 of 1602 Old 01-11-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Fine, let me say once and for all then: If you don't want dupes, don't play any part of the game that requires you to play the same song twice.

Seriously, though, just consider the guitar challenges* like the GHIII progression (albeit with much poorer stat tracking, as you know) and I think you'll have the experience you are looking for.

The challenge is set up like a setlist, so you have to play them in order and you have to pass all songs on the tier to open the next one. Fortunately, if you quit partially way through the challenge (or fail) your progress will be saved up to that point and you can continue it during a different session without having to replay the songs you've already passed. You can even change difficulty settings so if there is one b*tch of a song you can bump down a level and not get hung up for all time.

(*If you want to play every song in the game exactly once, I think you'll need to work your way through the marathon challenges rather than the guitar challenges. You might need to beat one warmup challenge before the marathon challenge progression is available, so repeating a small number of songs may, in actuality, be unavoidable. But it would only be a few. I won't argue whether or not this is good or bad...it doesn't bother me, maybe you feel differently.)
post #210 of 1602 Old 01-11-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Wellthe only reason I care is because I want to pass as many songs as possible and it's very hard to tell which songs I have already passed on a particular difficulty.

In tour mode the only way I could figure it out was to act as if I was creating my own set list and then count the songs on my choice list until it got to 84 and all had scores by them!

Now on expert I have no way to be sure in tour mode which ones I comleted on expert. So now I have to do challenges. And I will probably be confused whether I passed every song in challenge mode too.

It's just pretty ridiculous to not be able to figure out which songs I have passed on each difficulty. Someone could be like "did you finish this one song on expert??? it was very hard!!!". I would have to say umm I dunno there is no way to even check! So I would not even be able to compare with other people and see who did better.

With all the praise RB2 got and some columnists calling it the best game of the year for any type of game... you would think they would have actually improved stat keeping. When you look what was addded between RB1 and RB2 it's nothing compared with GHIII to GHWT. GH made a new experience from their last one. All RB did was add a new set list and a few features. You would think that with them being lazy they would have at least taken time to make stat keeping be better and also you would think they wouldn't be rewarded with good scores for not changing anything while GH got knocked down for "being too similar to last year's". It's like they reversed what the reviews should have said.

Got Zelda
Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page