Rock band 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 1602 Old 12-17-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
http://wii.ign.com/articles/939/939202p2.html

Since we now have the sequel here (almost), I posted the link to the IGN review ( a rather glowing one)

Discuss....

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 1602 Old 12-17-2008, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah looks like they did a good job on the game. I'm glad they did. I ahven't read the review yet, but looked at the detailed ratings.

Notice though still it's a difference between an 8.8 and 9.0 with GH:WT and RB2.

edit: read it and it sounds good. Pretty much to summarize it, looks like it's apaprently better presentation, better drums than GH, worse guitar than GH, and *possibly a big deal) it will NOT have the online store ready at launch. So that's a big thing to be assumed about when rating it 9.0. Assuming they come through on their promise to release that "soon after", it will be good. But if it's not ready by Christmas, that makes one wonder when "soon after" is.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #3 of 1602 Old 12-18-2008, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,224
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 201
For the record, the quality of the guitars is subjective. I haven't used the WT Les Paul, but I've used the GH3 Les Paul, and I much prefer the Rock Band 2 Strat. The Strat is larger, has a near silent strum bar, and I prefer the feel of the fret buttons on it as well (and they're closer together so its not as far a stretch.)

Besides that, there's the autocalibration, which makes the RB2 guitar a no-brainer for me. That is, assuming the Wii RB2 has the autocalibration, the review doesn't mention it at all. I've heard that it will but I don't know for sure.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
post #4 of 1602 Old 12-18-2008, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which guitar is better is subjective, but which game is betetr is not, right?

As far as calibration, I think mine is ok at 0ms anyway, but I'm not quite sure. It's hard for me to be sure if when I miss notes it is my error or if I need to fine tune calibration.

Some guy on another site acted like it was fact that RB guitars are better. Yet I see more people say GH ones are, as did IGN in this review.

And also if guitar quality is subjective, so is drum quality. I personally wish I had bought only the GH:WT game though. If I can, I willt ry to get refunded for the faulty instruments, but I know they won't be professional enough to do that.

The smart thing, in my opinion, for people who ahve GHIII and don't need a new guitar, it would be good to buy GH:WT game only, RB2 game only, and then the RB2 drums for $90 and a mic from soemwhere for $10-$20.

So I end up paying about $260 for both games, a guitar I don't need, a mic I don't use, and faulty drums. The other way would cost about $210!!! I paid $50 more to have an extra guitar and worse drums pretty much.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #5 of 1602 Old 12-18-2008, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,224
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I posted on the Rock Band forum, and the Wii version DOES still have autocalibration.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
post #6 of 1602 Old 12-18-2008, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I sure hope it's true that the presentation is great, because hoenstly I am getting burnt out on music games. I think I play them more than 99% of people who buy them. I played GHIII for hundreds of hours and I have probably played 600-700 times on gh:wt I would assume. I think I've burnt myself out. You can only watch scrolling notes for so long before it gets kind of boring.

Edit: I am interested to know why nobody has listed the 30 songs available at releae (now) and also how they could possibly be released when there is no store at release.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #7 of 1602 Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
At this point, I may add a 2nd guitar with the WT one (so it works w/ both games). But thinking now that I will go w/ the RB2 drums. They won't work w/ GH:WT, of course, but I thinking that RB2 is gonna monopolize my music game stuff now anyway.

Of course, I'm not getting either right away. For one, we still can't get SA GH:WT guitars yet. And I need to play around w/ RB2 for a while first to confirm my assumption that GH will take a back seat to RB.

Or, I could still get the RB1 SE pack, esp if it drops further in price.

Either way, I'll know more come XMAS day.

As to the 30 tracks available when the Wii Music Store goes live (which I don't see happening any later than XMAS day or the day after), I'm sure - since they are to be a "greatest hits" situation - there will be several I will want to DL.

Also stoked to see that Pearl Jam's "TEN" will be avaialable in March. Don't know that I'd get the entire album (plus one track is on the RB2 disc), but there are a few that are likely buys. Lots of memories tied to that record for me.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #8 of 1602 Old 12-18-2008, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

I sure hope it's true that the presentation is great, because hoenstly I am getting burnt out on music games. I think I play them more than 99% of people who buy them. I played GHIII for hundreds of hours and I have probably played 600-700 times on gh:wt I would assume. I think I've burnt myself out. You can only watch scrolling notes for so long before it gets kind of boring.

Edit: I am interested to know why nobody has listed the 30 songs available at releae (now) and also how they could possibly be released when there is no store at release.

Basher - check out IGN's video review. Posted there last night. Plenty of footage. Game looks great, lyrics text is far more legible compared to GH's, the "world tour" navigation is cool & I like the look of the setlists & menus better. This could revitalize your music gaming interest.

As IGN pointed out in the review, it does seem that this game really has the same "community" vibe that the other consoles have had. Nice!

And if you like, we could even start a "band". Lemme know.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #9 of 1602 Old 12-18-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
So, anyone getting this today? Many Best Buys appear to have both the game and full-band bundle in stock now...
ThisOneKidMongo is offline  
post #10 of 1602 Old 12-18-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

So, anyone getting this today? Many Best Buys appear to have both the game and full-band bundle in stock now...

My copy shipped from Amazon today, but the wifey will likely get the package first (80% of our XMAS shopping was done in a single Sunday afternoon on Amazon!) & I will be forbidden to even see the box for it until the 25th!

Actually, I hope that is enough time to get the Music Store up & running.

Somebody over @ the RB site foums mentioned seeign the Wii stuff passing thru UPS (where the guy works) a few days ago. Truckloads, IIRC, headed to WalMart or BestBuy.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #11 of 1602 Old 12-18-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SpeedyHTPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 3,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best Buy has the individual items out for sale such as RB2 guitar for $71 but I didnt know they can sell the RB2 SE now because of the date. Theres still tons of RB1 SE out there!

I mentioned something about the calibration. I dont know. Whether you calibrate it manually or automatically, no two shall be the same. Eh? Why is that?

Looking at the video review I dont notice anything different than RB2 on the 360, except you can't import RB1 songs. They should give some kind of coupon for those who did buy RB1 and download it for free.
SpeedyHTPC is offline  
post #12 of 1602 Old 12-19-2008, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well if they are as Godly of a company as a couple people think on here, they will surely not screw wii players out of their RB1 puirchase.

jwebb, we could have just as easily started a band on GH:WT also though. Andddd you're never on when I am. Also I'm really confused because from the time these games were both announcved, you kept saying you loved the GH setlist much better and now you say most of your time will be spent on RB2. lol

I asked for RB2 for Christmas so I better get it because if I don't and have to buy it myself I wonder if stores will be wiped clean by then!

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #13 of 1602 Old 12-19-2008, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

Well if they are as Godly of a company as a couple people think on here, they will surely not screw wii players out of their RB1 puirchase.

jwebb, we could have just as easily started a band on GH:WT also though. Andddd you're never on when I am. Also I'm really confused because from the time these games were both announcved, you kept saying you loved the GH setlist much better and now you say most of your time will be spent on RB2. lol

I asked for RB2 for Christmas so I better get it because if I don't and have to buy it myself I wonder if stores will be wiped clean by then!

For me personally, the more hard rock/metal setlist in GH is very cool. Hell, Tool & VH alone make it for me (I'd say Hendrix, too - but getting the shaft on the DLC has lessened it's importance to me). Plus, there are the handful of songs there that my daughter never tires of singing.

RB2, OTOH, is much more "party friendly", plus I believe with every fiber of my being that RB2 is gonna have much more replay factor due to it's greater list of tracks to be purchased.

Thinking now that I may go either w/ the RB2 drums - and drum in RB only, or even snag the RB1 set if the $99 pricetag drops further (it may very well do that - in some places, it has). Then again, I am also considering just RB drums & a GH:WT guitar.

At this point, I just want to play the tunes.

As to GH, I did DL the Nirvana tracks last night. Good stuff (to me, at least).

I'd put a band together w/ you on either, however the options are far more open on RB2 it seems. But yeah....it would come down to when I was on coinciding w/ when you were (differing playtime habits, time zone diferences & the fact that I have children that can interrupt my game time all play a part).

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #14 of 1602 Old 12-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Member
 
TommyboyCAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I Plan on getting RB2 but most of my time has been spent on RB ACDC lately. What a blast that is. Sure it is only 18 songs, but hey having that cranked == good times.
TommyboyCAN is offline  
post #15 of 1602 Old 12-19-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyHTPC View Post

Looking at the video review I dont notice anything different than RB2 on the 360, except you can't import RB1 songs. They should give some kind of coupon for those who did buy RB1 and download it for free.


Well, you also can't create your own character tattoos - stuck with presets. That's it - that's a DEAL BREAKER!!! I'm selling the Wii & getting a PS3

Whether or not it WILL happen, I do not know. Would be cool to see HMX offer the RB1 disc tracks either as a "discount rate" DLC option or make them available via coupon or redemption code (after providing proof of purchase, I'm sure) so that Wii users could do the RB1 import,too - and play them with the RB2 engine running things.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #16 of 1602 Old 12-19-2008, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyboyCAN View Post

I Plan on getting RB2 but most of my time has been spent on RB ACDC lately. What a blast that is. Sure it is only 18 songs, but hey having that cranked == good times.

If the AC/DC pack was not the Donnington concert & actually had the Bon Scott tunes in original form, I'd buy it. Nothing against Brian Johnson, but I much prefer the blusier & slightly more varied Scott era stuff.

Still enjoy the post Back in Black stuff, too - but Scott was my fave. Don't see the singer swap in AC/DC the way I did with Van Halen - the band ceased to exist once Diamond Dave was gone (Van Hagar? Van Suck-gar, IMO!). When they got back together to tour w/ Roth last year, I was on the Ticketmaster website 2 hrs before the seats went on sale. Well worth the ridiculous price I paid - please stay together!!!!

That said, the original recording of Let There Be Rock (w/ Bon) is a track I look forward to on the RB2 disc.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #17 of 1602 Old 12-19-2008, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Well, you also can't create your own character tattoos - stuck with presets. That's it - that's a DEAL BREAKER!!! I'm selling the Wii & getting a PS3

You joke, but then how would I create my superhero emblem tattoos on the Wii version? DEAL BREAKER!



Actually, has anyone confirmed if the Wii version of Rock Band 2 can access all the "community" features of the rockband.com site, e.g., the photo creator above, or being able to make posters, shirts and figurines of your characters/band? That could be the gimping Bashey's looking for.
ThisOneKidMongo is offline  
post #18 of 1602 Old 12-19-2008, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Good question....don't know. IGN mentioned RB2 Wii having the "community" feel that the other versions have. But that may have to do with the gameplay parts - challenges & whatnot.

Cool pic, BTW. Not enough to make me go out & get a 2nd console for just THAT, but very cool nonetheless.

Unless someone confirms/denies before, I'll check it out when I get my stinking paws on the game XMAS day.

Since some Wii games do "photo creation" stuff (Brawl, Kart), I don't see why not. But yeah, no custom tats in character creation mode.

edit: Just checked the RB site's "Merch Booth". At the moment it looks to be a 360/PS3 option only. That may change - who knows.

As long as I get to play the same tunes as "the big boys" - that's all I need.

Maybe it'll be the big deal to add these functions to RB3 Wii?

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #19 of 1602 Old 12-19-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Don't worry, I was being 100% sarcastic. I really can't imagine too many people take advantage of much of the rockband.com features. I'd be willing to bet 90% of RB2 owners aren't even aware of them. I used the photo creator a few times for fun a couple weeks after I got the game, but haven't touched it since. And I can't imagine being at a point in my life where I feel compelled to order custom-made figurines of my Rock band self.

Anyway, I was just pointing out what could be deemed a "missing feature" by the more nitpicky and conspiracy-prone among us.
ThisOneKidMongo is offline  
post #20 of 1602 Old 12-19-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Don't worry, I was being 100% sarcastic. I really can't imagine too many people take advantage of much of the rockband.com features. I'd be willing to bet 90% of RB2 owners aren't even aware of them. I used the photo creator a few times for fun a couple weeks after I got the game, but haven't touched it since. And I can't imagine being at a point in my life where I feel compelled to order custom-made figurines of my Rock band self.

Anyway, I was just pointing out what could be deemed a "missing feature" by the more nitpicky and conspiracy-prone among us.

Oh, I did not doubt the sarcasm. But that is a cool looking "rocker".

I need to see if I can come up w/ ones on RB2 like I have on GH:WT as well as among my Miis - both "The Dude" & "Walter" from THE BIG LEBOWSKI. Nothing better than Wii Sports Bowiling w/ my virtual Jeff Bridges & John Goodman in character.

I'm betting those that do get shirts & figurines are among the official RB.com forum faithfuls, which I also assume are NOT 90% of those who play the game.

And I too predict the missing community stuff will equate yet another corporate lie. Class action suit, Wii Rockers?

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #21 of 1602 Old 12-19-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SpeedyHTPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 3,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Whether or not it WILL happen, I do not know. Would be cool to see HMX offer the RB1 disc tracks either as a "discount rate" DLC option or make them available via coupon or redemption code (after providing proof of purchase, I'm sure) so that Wii users could do the RB1 import,too - and play them with the RB2 engine running things.

nintendo needs to make that SD capacity change to modern times.

I think RB2 is GOTY on the Wii.
SpeedyHTPC is offline  
post #22 of 1602 Old 12-19-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyHTPC View Post

nintendo needs to make that SD capacity change to modern times.

I think RB2 is GOTY on the Wii.

Even though I have yet to play it myself, I thnk you are correct, Speedy. Certainly the best 3rd party/multiplatformer of 2008 if nothing else.

IGN did their "Best of Wii '08" list recently & gave Best Music Game to GH:WT. Granted, I would imagine they complied the list prior to really digging into RB2. From all the info I have seen, WT looks to pale a bit on comparison (not a bad game at all, mind you - and certainly an overall improvement over GHIII -but RB2 is obviously leaps & bounds better than RB1 on this system for sure)

They gave their GOTY nod to World of Goo.

And as to the SD thing - yeah, bring on that update already, Nintendo - and allow bigger SDs w/o having to do the cheapassgamer.com workaround to fool your Wii into thinking a card >2GBs is not as it seems.

Nice trick, but allowing at least a 8GB on it's own would be even better.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #23 of 1602 Old 12-19-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't want it gimped, mongo, becuase I plan on owning it. Otherwise I maybe would. lol

Looks like we will both hopefully egt it around the same time, jwebb. Assuming people LISTENED and preordered it for me. If not, then I will have to find it the day after Christmas I guess.

Oh by the way RB2 supposedly allows 4 wiis to connect and GH:WT allows only 2. Although it's still not ideal, as it would be better if it allowed 8 where two bands could play on all separate machines.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #24 of 1602 Old 12-20-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SpeedyHTPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 3,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can buy the entire setup in pieces right now. I dont see the bundle for some reason. Maybe the bundle is after christmas?

World of Goo is a good game but I just have the "been there done that" feeling with it. RB2 is one of those must have titles on the Wii and makes any other party game pale by comparison.
SpeedyHTPC is offline  
post #25 of 1602 Old 12-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Member
 
greenandgold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Friggin awesome! Excited about the great review, the online content (coming soon) and the compatability with the GH instruments!

Wins all around.

Although, since I am only 65% of the way through GHWT, I'm really not in a huge hurry to purchase. Hope it's under the tree for me and it is a must buy at some point, but I play not all that often so I can be a little patient to get it as well as getting online content.
greenandgold is offline  
post #26 of 1602 Old 12-20-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Apparently the word is out.

Was doing some last minute shopping today - any place that would have had it did not. Best Buy & GameStop did have them, but every Wii version they had was now sold out. (I asked)

Target had not received them - and were heavily pushing their overly stocked GH:WT & Aerosmith bundles.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #27 of 1602 Old 12-20-2008, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I told you that would possibly happen.

I hope my parents listened and bought it for me. Otherwise I am going to have to find it somewhere myself. Sigh.

Although I bet you and thejokell really think GH:WT is better.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #28 of 1602 Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mdr25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Greater Boston
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked this up on Saturday morning at a Best Buy in the Boston area. They had maybe 8 full Wii bundles on display at 10:30 AM. I'm not sure if the snowstorm helped my cause or not. I also noticed BB online had them in stock at the time, although I couldn't purchase online for in-store pickup.

Having not played GH:WT, I can't compare the two, although I do have GHIII and I can say I'm not a fan of the RB2 guitar. Maybe I'm just used to the GH clicky goodness, but the RB guitar feels...dead. I haven't played with it much (I've been doing drums mostly, which are awesome), so maybe my opinion will eventually change. The RB guitar looks good, though. It was next to my real acoustic guitar and my wife asked when I picked up a strat, LOL.

Anyway, having not ever played RB1 or GH:WT on any system, I didn't really know what to expect from this game, but I can say I'm having a blast with it so far. As someone who is kinda cheap and is very selective about video game purchases (only other games I bought this year were Kart, SSB, No More Heroes, and deBlob), I'm definitely happy with the purchase and expect this to get a ton of play at some upcoming holiday parties.

Anyone know when the DLC will be available for Wii?

Having RB2 vs. World of Goo for GOTY is a crazy discussion since the two games are so different in style/gameplay/price/everything.
mdr25 is offline  
post #29 of 1602 Old 12-22-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr25 View Post

I picked this up on Saturday morning at a Best Buy in the Boston area. They had maybe 8 full Wii bundles on display at 10:30 AM. I'm not sure if the snowstorm helped my cause or not. I also noticed BB online had them in stock at the time, although I couldn't purchase online for in-store pickup.

Having not played GH:WT, I can't compare the two, although I do have GHIII and I can say I'm not a fan of the RB2 guitar. Maybe I'm just used to the GH clicky goodness, but the RB guitar feels...dead. I haven't played with it much (I've been doing drums mostly, which are awesome), so maybe my opinion will eventually change. The RB guitar looks good, though. It was next to my real acoustic guitar and my wife asked when I picked up a strat, LOL.

Anyway, having not ever played RB1 or GH:WT on any system, I didn't really know what to expect from this game, but I can say I'm having a blast with it so far. As someone who is kinda cheap and is very selective about video game purchases (only other games I bought this year were Kart, SSB, No More Heroes, and deBlob), I'm definitely happy with the purchase and expect this to get a ton of play at some upcoming holiday parties.

Anyone know when the DLC will be available for Wii?

Having RB2 vs. World of Goo for GOTY is a crazy discussion since the two games are so different in style/gameplay/price/everything.

Good to hear you're digging it!

My disc shipped from Amazon already - but won't get my paws on it 'til XMAS day.

HMX stated that the Music Store will see activity "shortly affter release". My guess is either on or just after the 25th (when most copies may get popped into Wiis for the 1st time).

I played RB2 on 360 w/ the RB2 Strat not long ago @ BestBuy. The fret buttons & strum bar feel more "spongy" - not the reassuring "click". For some this is better, for others worse. For the time being, I'll be using the GHIII Les Paul. In fact, a 2nd guitar will likely be a GH:WT model (once they are available on thier own) and likely the WT drumkit - mainly to have 1 set of instruments for two games. Bought a used USB mic shortly after I got the WT disc, so vocals are covered on both already.

I do like how the RB guitars use the entire "fretboard" area for buttons - feels a bit more "real". But at least with RB2 Wii you can use the GH stuff as well (but not the reverse-RB stuff wonlt run w/ GH Wii titles).

There are quite a few DLC tracks already out for 360/PS3 that Wii will get during 2009. The Cars, Pixies, Foo Fighters & Rush tracks are gonna be for sure buys for me. Also stoked that the entire Pearl Jam "TEN" album (sans Alive, which is on disc) is due in March. I do hope the tracks that made thier way onto Wii Track Pack discs show up in the Store, mainly so I can play them within the superior RB2 engine (as well as work w/ GH gear, which any RB1 based Wii stuff will not).

Anyway.....keep rockin' Maybe we will meet up online for a little shredfest, eh?

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #30 of 1602 Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mdr25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Greater Boston
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

I played RB2 on 360 w/ the RB2 Strat not long ago @ BestBuy. The fret buttons & strum bar feel more "spongy" - not the reassuring "click".

...

Anyway.....keep rockin' Maybe we will meet up online for a little shredfest, eh?

"Spongy" is definitely an appropriate term. I'll use my GHIII Les Paul and leave the strat to whoever is on bass, thankyouverymuch.

I didn't mention it before but it is probably worth saying that the RB2 mic is really sweet. By weight, looks, and feel, there's nothing toy-ish about it.

As for meeting up online, I'm sure I'd drag you down. I'm rockin' the EASY drums and fighting way too hard to make 4 stars. I aspire to Medium eventually but no further. I logged a fair number of hours with GHIII and I'll still only play guitar on Medium guitar difficulty, having never mastered that elusive 5th button.

I am forever in awe of the Youtube videos of people rocking out to 100% on Expert. My video game skills peaked in college, when I essentially earned a minor in Mario Kart 64. It has been downhill from there.
mdr25 is offline  
Reply Nintendo

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off