Why Didn't this work for my new Wii? Component to VGA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an old Xbox (not 360) connected to my Projector by going from xbox to component cables and then to a component-vga cable. This goes through a 4 port VGA selector (monoprice) and works perfectly.

So, I assumed I could do the same thing with my Wii, bought the "HD" cable from monoprice, and NADA...no signal whatsoever when going through the same setup. I know it was sending some signal as I could hook up the RCA input on the PJ to the green component.

I sent the cable back, but still don't know what's wrong. The PJ is a Sharp X10. Is the Wii just not sending a strong enough signal or is it the RGB vs. the other color mapping issue?

I did set the wii to 480p.

Kevin Davis
<>< <>< <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM

I bought the Wii component cables form Monoprice and they work like a charm on my LG LCD TV.

From my knowledge what you're trying to do just won't work, at least not with your current set up. The cable you describe does not convert the Wii Component Video to VGA. The cable you have simply maps the Component signals to the appropriate VGA pins which in this case won't work due to video language reasons. It's the same reason why you'll never see a Componet to HDMI cable.

The video that is sent via the Wii Component output is "Pb Y Pr" and the VGA projector is "R G B" . . . different video formats and require a translation. Now it may be that your original Xbox spoke RGB to begin with and that's why it worked with your RGB based projector and the Wii doesn't. While RGB and PbYPr are both Component video types, they are not interchangeable. In essence, PbYPr is a newer version of RGB so some older sources (Xbox) may output in RGB and work with no conversion needed. The Wii doesn’t speak VGA and never will. You need a Component Video to VGA converter and that'll set you back about $35. Hope that helps!
post #3 of 6 Old 01-07-2009, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. That's what I figured. I just ordered a vga converter, so we'll see what happens and we'll see if I can get it to work. We have RockBand2, and the lyrics are a little fuzzy on the 100" screen, so hopefully this will clear that up.

KD

Kevin Davis
<>< <>< <><
post #4 of 6 Old 01-07-2009, 01:20 PM

Yeah I had the same issue with Guitar Hero World Tour. After I added the Component cables I could actually read the words! That's good too because I'm not good at freestyling!
post #5 of 6 Old 09-06-2010, 03:07 PM

what jirkstore said was correct about color. But your device (monitor/projector) must also be HDCP compliant to work with a wii. that seems more likely why you arent getting a picture at all. if it was a color translation issue the image would likely appear with the colors all wrong. (green). I think HDCP is a method of video signal encryption to prevent screen capture. but dont quote me on that. the point is that your projector must be HDCP compliant to work with the Wii. (it works on my pc monitor -Dell s2209w- at least)
peace
post #6 of 6 Old 09-07-2010, 04:48 AM

Liked: 93
Dooley - No. HDCP has nothing to do with the component or VGA video standards. That is exclusively the domain of DVI/HDMI.

In case it is not clear to the rest of you, it is best to ignore the entire contents of Dooley's post.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page