New Wii User - Complex HD Setup... Looking for advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-13-2009, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have recently added a Wii to the entertainment center (eventually when it arrives). I currently run a dual-5.1 system for inside and outside, which requires HDMI amplification and splitting. I am looking to connect the Wii for use inside and outside and have several questions around this:
  1. The Wii-mote. From my understanding of the sensor bar, it really doesn't do anything besides emit IR to determine the boundary points for the Wii-mote. Therefore I am assuming the Wii-mote has some type of internal Wi-Fi chip or Bluetooth technology that connects it to the Wii Console. Is that true? If so, how far away can the Wii-mote be from the console? Can it work through walls? I saw the youtube video on using the remote from outside, but I was wondering if anyone has evidence that this is actually factual.
  2. Has anyone used a Component to HDMI converter to connect their Wii? If so, have you experienced any lag issues?

The second question is geared based on my setup. Here's the setup I am running, if you have any suggestions, I would definitely be open to hearing them!

Equipment:
  • Yamaha RX-V661 (Drives Outdoor Theater)
  • Bose Lifestyle 48 (Drives Indoor Theater)
  • Mitsubishi 1500 HC Projector
  • Sony 40" LCD TV
  • Direct TV Satellite HD-20
  • Pioneer Upconverting DVD Player
  • HDMI 2-Port Splitter

In order to use the Wii for the inside theater and the outside theater, I need to split the component through a component and analog audio splitter. For connecting to the Bose system, I would connect the component and audio through the AUX channel... so no issues there.

For outdoor theater, its a bit more complicated. The outdoor theater is driven through a HDMI jack wired on the side of my house. I have an amplified 35' HDMI cable that connects from the Yamaha receiver to the outdoor jack. Now the RX-V661 does not upconvert component input to HDMI output. That leaves me in a position of having to convert the component to HDMI, since I do not have a component run to my projector. Because I have the satellite and Pioneer DVD going to the two HDMI inputs on the RX-V661, I also need to add a switch to the whole configuration. What a mess, eh?

So that means, the outdoor Wii would go through the component cable, to a component splitter, to a component to HDMI converter, to a HDMI autosensing switch to the receiver and hence to the projector. Then I would use a wireless sensor bar that I can just setup outside.

I know this sounds odd, but has anyone done anything like this? If so, what has been your experience?

Here's the parts I was looking at inquiring:
I have also attached a schematic of the setup to help give you the visual. Items highlighted in yellow represent the parts bulleted above.

Do you think this will work? Anyone know if there will be signal delay issues or other areas of concern?

Wiring Diagram.doc 41k . file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hello to you. I can't answer your component to HDMI question, but I can tell you that the Wiimote connects to the console via bluetooth. It does work through walls. (We've done crazy bowling and one rule was that you had to bowl from another room.) We were working from about 15-20' from the console and didn't have any issues.

The sensor bar is simply a a source of two IR lights. There is a camera at the front of the Wiimote which needs to be able to see the lights. Certain games need the sensor bar and others don't.

FWIW, I run the Wii to my Yamaha HTR-5650 receiver via component. Then a 50' component cable to my SP4805 projector. I don't have any lag in games. I'm not sure how a conversion from component to HDMI would affect lag times.

I'm confused too.

post #3 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a suggestion, have you investigated the possibility of upgrading your receiver to one with 3 HDMI input or component to HDMI upconverting?

Maybe the savings in components and resale value of your current receiver would make the upgrade worth while.

New Samsung LNTxx71f owner? Read the FAQ!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12429454
LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #4 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81 View Post

Hello to you. I can't answer your component to HDMI question, but I can tell you that the Wiimote connects to the console via bluetooth. It does work through walls. (We've done crazy bowling and one rule was that you had to bowl from another room.) We were working from about 15-20' from the console and didn't have any issues.

The sensor bar is simply a a source of two IR lights. There is a camera at the front of the Wiimote which needs to be able to see the lights. Certain games need the sensor bar and others don't.

FWIW, I run the Wii to my Yamaha HTR-5650 receiver via component. Then a 50' component cable to my SP4805 projector. I don't have any lag in games. I'm not sure how a conversion from component to HDMI would affect lag times.

To add....if the game utilizes actual motion based pointing, then the sensor bar is needed. Of course, it's also needed to navigate the main Wii menu.

If your "outside" play is truly outside, daytime play could maybe be an issue in relation to the IR stuff.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #5 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the input everyone...

I have explored a new receiver, but that is a bit more than I want to spend to get all the functionality I have with my current one. Most of the components I am looking at are on ebay, so hopefully I can get some good discounts.

Your absolutely right about daytime playing as an outdoor projector really doesn't work during the day. Most of this would be various parties during the summer that we could be playing outside at night.

If you are running a 50' component cable with no lag... that's pretty dang good, so this idea may work!
post #6 of 13 Old 01-15-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfahnestock View Post

If you are running a 50' component cable with no lag... that's pretty dang good, so this idea may work!

Just to give you an idea, signal flight time in copper is generally taken to be 1/2 the speed of light, so for 50' it would take ~100ns for a signal to go end to end, or 0.0000001s. Most modern TVs are introducing orders of magnitude more delay to the signal with picture processing steps. The signal delay in any length of cable you can reliably run will be insignificant.

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #7 of 13 Old 01-15-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

To add....if the game utilizes actual motion based pointing, then the sensor bar is needed. Of course, it's also needed to navigate the main Wii menu.

If your "outside" play is truly outside, daytime play could maybe be an issue in relation to the IR stuff.

Unless you happen to live on a planet with two suns that are in fixed position just above the corners of your display...

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #8 of 13 Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by onund View Post

Unless you happen to live on a planet with two suns that are in fixed position just above the corners of your display...

So if you are a resident of the planet Tatooine, you should be able to do daytime outdoor Wii play at least once a day.

Just keep an eye out for those pesky Jawas....might try & lift a Wiimote or 2 while you aren't looking....

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #9 of 13 Old 01-16-2009, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

FWIW you can move your "hand" around on the main menu with the classic controller, eliminating the need for the sensor bar, at least for the main menu. If your game still needs it, that's another story.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-23-2009, 11:25 AM

they also make wireless sensor bars now...not to mention, you could improvise with tea lights or anything else that emits infrared light.

Twitter: Gizzmonic
PSN: Gizzmonic
post #11 of 13 Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Before you invest anything in this setup, is is possible to hook the Wii up "temporarily" in such a fashion as to not require any extra $$$?

I ask this because I spent a good deal of money on interconnects/etc to wire my Wii into an equipment rack. Had I simply USED the Wii for several weeks I would have learned that it's "fun factor" for me plummeted, and now it collects dust.

I would suggest the same for ANY console you are purchasing. Make sure you'll use it enough to justify any additional expense. Just my take...
post #12 of 13 Old 02-07-2009, 11:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicSectorTech View Post

they also make wireless sensor bars now...not to mention, you could improvise with tea lights or anything else that emits infrared light.

Yep. Buy a wireless sensor bar for outside and you'll be just fine. The cable to the console only provides power to the wired one, the wiimote's IR camera does all the work.

Wiimotes connect via bluetooth and has a range of about 30 feet if I'm not mistaken, walls and doors are no object.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 PM

... though not quite as difficult as what yours appears.

I am running a Panny projector, Sony 820 and a Wii. I just bought the 820 online... before I realized the 920 would actually do the component to hdmi conversion instead of buying the converter box.

I'm kinda stuck on this as I would need to ship back the 820 and likely pay the restock fee. I'm hopeful they don't charge the restock if I buy the 920 from them.

But, yes, the Gefen is one of the converter boxes I've seen and almost ready to buy if I didn't find the 920. I will not need or be using a splitter, so not sure how this will work. Sounds like you're on the right path with the converter box tho.

Would like to hear how this works for you as I'm placing my bets on the 920 to do it all in one (fingers crossed).
Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page