Tutorial on making a digital cable for the Gamecube? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-19-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've heard that it's possible to make a digital cable for the Gamecube so you can get digital audio, which uses the port that is meant to the Nintendo-proprietary component cable. Does anyone know of anyone who's selling an extra custom cable, or a place on the web with a tutorial on how to make such a cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

As far as I know the Gamecube has no way of outputting digital audio since it didn't exactly have a need to since it didn't have a digital output. Even if you could somehow get it to what purpose would it serve? Gamecube games were PLII at best so you're really not going to get any benefit from using digital over analog.

Always remember: The pessimist is never disappointed.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-20-2009, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

It can put out digital audio, Nintendo just never made a cable that could pull out the audio stream.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-20-2009, 06:44 AM

I've read of some folks making their own component video cable for the Gamecube, but I'm not familiar with any one making a digital audio cable. It may be possible, but as PvtChurch said, the games were only mastered with PLII encoding, so you wouldn't get true Dolby Digital from them. Are you short on analog inputs on your reciever or something?

TWW resident bullet sponge
PSN: ThreeWulfMoon
post #5 of 9 Old 01-20-2009, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wes View Post

I've read of some folks making their own component video cable for the Gamecube, but I'm not familiar with any one making a digital audio cable. It may be possible, but as PvtChurch said, the games were only mastered with PLII encoding, so you wouldn't get true Dolby Digital from them. Are you short on analog inputs on your reciever or something?

No, I just think it would be a cool project to do.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-20-2009, 04:59 PM

I too think it would be cool unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable in cable making.

The gamecube outputs both digital video and digital audio.

Nintendo's only support was a component cable, which while better than composite is still an analog signal.

sure the audio wasn't mastered in anything better than pro logic II but there is something great about having the signal in pure digital with zero degradation provided your cable is good.

the ntsc and pal gamecubes have different ports on the back, I have heard that the pal gamecube gives both the digital and analog via one port where as the ntsc gamecube has two separate ports.

more over, newer gamecubes have no digital out port so you have to have an older gamecube.

here are some resources I found.

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/.../t-708162.html

I PMed the guy who was offering to make them back then and he gave me this response.

"Tim,

I gave up on the gamecube a long time ago because there's no source for the digital/analog converter chip used in the official GC component video cable.

it's certainly possible to reverse-engineer it and build a converter to DVI/HDMI, but I doubt anyone cares enough to put in the effort given that the Wii can play GC games

-Matt"

he is a regular here and feel free to contact him but I am sure you will get the same response, he is not interested in it any more.

The thing is that while the wii does play gamecube games, it actually is inferior to the gamecube as far as playing gamecube games because it has no digital output, where as the gamecube does.

http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?...tendodigitalav

and from the same site a diagram on the audio part of the signal that comes out from that port, which is said could be converted to a digital audio out like toslink or the like.

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendogcda

people have also speculated on what kind of port that is on the gamecube anyways, some have thought that it is the japanese D-Terminal seen here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D4_video_connector

but I believe that is incorrect because I don't count the same number of pins. Anyways, any research that you guys find would be greatly appreciated.

I really think the best things we could do would try for several things

either a high quality digital DVI or HDMI cable for the video output

and a Fiber Optic Digital audio cable or HDMI cable for the audio.

keep me posted on your latest research.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You need to make more than a cable...

edit: beaten. not sure how I didn't see the post above mine...
post #8 of 9 Old 06-29-2013, 10:25 PM

With the wii u not playing gamecube games I would really like to get a gamecube digital cable (so i could get rid of the wii as the wii u plays wii games over hdmi and its a faf to get gamecube games started with wii remotes etc).

The component cable contains a digital to analog converter, so what would the raw digital output be compatible with? Hdmi? Or will it always need converting?

There is a market out there for cable experts. It's a surprise that china or Japan haven't made anything. The component cable goes for $100 to $150 on eBay.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-05-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Im surprised this hasn't been reverse engineered and cloned by now, given the demand and price the GCN component cables go for. It would be interesting to see what kind of signal the Digital Out provides without the DAC in the component cable.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page