House of the Dead: OVERKILL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2009, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Last night my wife brought home a copy of HotD:O for me. After the kids were abed, I played it. Here's my initial impressions:

1. Okay, I GET it. You're an 'M' rated game, and you can use the F word. A LOT. I GET IT. While I think they're overdoing it, I suppose that's par for the course for a game with 'overkill' in the title. Wish I could turn off the chat/songs stuff in the menus, though. It's a bit much. Still, it's 'over the top' approach has its moments.

2. Gameplay is solid. A few expansions on the classic House of the Dead Light-gun gameplay. There's 'golden brains' spread across each level, achievements that allow you to unlocks items and bonuses (such as 'Kill 50 mutants 'gangster-style'), 'slow mo-fo' items that 'slow the film' and health kits. You get a violence bonus if you can manage to keep a combo running. The more times you shoot without missing or getting hit, the higher the combo goes. On the level end, there's a counter for a 'goregasm', which I haven't score yet. Presumably that's a super-combo of sorts.

3. When you die, you can continue by sacrificing part of your score for the level. Cash is awarded with a 'grade' at the end of the level. New guns are unlocked at the gun shop as are upgrades to the guns, using cash awarded in the levels. So far I've used the regular magnum and the shotgun. I found grenades, but had to read the manual to figure out how to use them, so didn't get to it, yet.

4. This game is GORY. Left 4 Dead seems positively sterile by comparison. Showers of blood come from the zom...err, mutants when they're hurt and when they die. Limbs blow off with satisfying ease and heads explode in messy chunks. Models are nice, with a nice attention to detail. You'll see plenty of the same models repeatedly, but they behave differently (big fat guy is slow, can take several shots and hurts bad; nurse mutant is fast; intern mutant can throw scalpels, etc.)

5. This ain't a 360 or PS3, but this game looks GOOD. The graphics are nice and atmospheric. The game plays out like a grindhouse movie, complete with film-grain, poor editing and mismatched audio-track at points. The announcer is pretty funny and the voice-acting seems to be into the spirit. It's very aware of the mood/style it's going for and they go for it hole-hog.

6. I meant to play the game for 30 minutes, I ended up playing it for an hour and thirty minutes. Replay value on the levels is decent. You want to go back with better weapons and try and get all the items or a better score. This game feels like a guilty pleasure. You feel a little dirty playing it, but I really enjoyed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Can't say I felt dirty, but I too got this one last night.

Love it!! And this is from someone that normally doesn't care for on-rails/arcade shooters.

WizarDru covered anything I would have mentioned. The constant F bombs didn't bother me & I don't feel a need to wish for a shut off switch. Find the dialogue WAY over the top - in the best way.

Love the overall design & grindhouse vibe, the "trailers" before each mission, the music (I think some of the best in a game tunes I have come across that were not licensed existing music)....the total package is really very polished. As to graphics, also agree they are "Wii good" - the backgrounds & enviroments especially are very well done.

I did notice a few of the minor framerate issues IGN mentioned in their review, usually when the screen is very full of targets. It's far from gameplay-killing & actually feels like an intentional part of the game along with the film scratches, audio/video "problems", etc that were put into the game for that pulp-y vibe.

Played thru the 1st 3 missions so far. I think btwn replaying levels for higher scores, going back for missed pick up items, the apparently greater challenge of the unlockable Directors Cut - even the 3 minigames (it IS a Wii title - gotta have those) - that HOTD : Overkill will see a lot of repeat playtime in my house (after the kiddies go to bed, of course - this game wears it's M rating loudly & proudly).

Love the references to other flicks going on, too. In the 1st mission, the line "We're on an express elevator to hell....going down!!" was a nice nod to ALIENS. 2nd mission's boss is a straight rip of Samara from THE RING. Imagine there will be more.

One minor note - SEGA slipped a promo flyer for The Conduit in w/ the copy I purchased & a MadWorld ad on the back of the manual Here's hoping they plan on actually doing some promotion for these upcomming "hardcore" Wii games. Hey, at least they chose 2 games I am already palnning on buying

And, I grabbed this @ a local GameStop. On their counter was a fairly sizable black binder dedicated to MadWorld pre-orders & info. Interesting.....seems GameStop/EB is really pimping that one out.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 02-12-2009, 08:54 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

I did notice a few of the minor framerate issues IGN mentioned in their review, usually when the screen is very full of targets. It's far from gameplay-killing & actually feels like an intentional part of the game along with the film scratches, audio/video "problems", etc that were put into the game for that pulp-y vibe.

Yeah, I noticed in another review at worthgaming.com the speculation that the jumpy framerate issues might have been intentional, in the 'spirit' of the grindhouse film genre. I got my copy yesterday at Gamestop, along with the only one copy of the Prelude to an Overkill graphic novel the store received (good thing I got there early).

Unfortunately, here in central Indiana, storms and wind last night (with the requisite power outages) kept me from playing this yet, so I'm glad to hear more positive reviews!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Let's hope your power gets back soon - both to keep you warm & so you can blast some zombies/mutants....

I do think this game really plays to the Wii's strengths - "lightgun" aiming w/ the Wiimote IR is very solid & can be calibrated much in the same manner that CoD:WaW does it on Wii. The weaknesses in Wii's graphics horsepower are kept less obvious thru the gridehouse vibe as well. Those jaggies are still there, but far less noticable when all the movement, bloodshed, film errors, etc are happening fast & furious.

Something about the humor & design of this game reminds me just a little of No More Heroes - in terms of tone & presentation. Despite being different types of games, you can see how much cooler an already cool title like NMH could have been if given the level of polish this HOTD has. May be the case w/ NMH 2.

It's a great game - if anyone wants to help support the 09 Wii Hardcore movement & actually see good 3rd party games sell well for the Wii - do yourselves & your Wii gaming brothers & sisters a favor.....get this game!!!

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Hm. I may have to pick this up. I'm generally not much of a lightgun guy (except for Time Crisis) but this looks fun and seems like an effort worth rewarding. I'm happy that the Wii's relative lack of horsepower is forcing developers to come up with stylistic ways to mask its shortcomings. If it makes less games look like Generic Xbox Shooter or Generic Japanese Fantasy RPG, then I'm all for it.

Now...would you say this game feels worth $50, or more say, $40? Are you playing with the Wiimote only, or with a gun shell?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Hm. I may have to pick this up. I'm generally not much of a lightgun guy (except for Time Crisis) but this looks fun and seems like an effort worth rewarding. I'm happy that the Wii's relative lack of horsepower is forcing developers to come up with stylistic ways to mask its shortcomings. If it makes less games look like Generic Xbox Shooter or Generic Japanese Fantasy RPG, then I'm all for it.

Now...would you say this game feels worth $50, or more say, $40? Are you playing with the Wiimote only, or with a gun shell?

I personally see a lot of replay here - esp considering how much the wife & I play Wild West Guns these days, even after "beating" it. She loves arcade shooters, I love pulp-y zombie blasting gorefests. It's a marriage made in HELL!! (sorry....B-movie vibes are present here). So I feel like I got my $$ worth so far.

And yeah - just the Wiimote. Have not tried a Zapper or other "gun" yet. This one screams for the Perfect Shot, though.

This is totally minor, but one other control thing I found cool. In the Audio settings, the music, FX & cutscene volumes are adjustable via onscreen "knobs" that go to 11 (hey - another movie reference). Took me a minute to realize that I had to twist the Wiimote to turn the knobs. Such a thing makes zero difference in the actual game itself, but its a cool little feature.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a great game - if anyone wants to help support the 09 Wii Hardcore movement & actually see good 3rd party games sell well for the Wii - do yourselves & your Wii gaming brothers & sisters a favor.....get this game!!!

Just so. Part of the reason I wanted this game was to send Sega...and the industry...a clear message. I WANT hardcore content. I enjoy family games. My kids are both playing Animal Crossing right now. I just finished and enjoyed de Blob.

But I want ALL KINDS of games, and I want games that actually had SOME EFFORT put in to them. Sega is going after this market in a big way, with THREE high profile releases. I won't buy them if they suck, but so far all signs point to them NOT sucking. In fact, HOTD:O was the game most likely to suck, and it doesn't.

And yeah, when I went to my local Gamestop, they have a giant Madworld poster up and are taking pre-orders. Which is GOOD.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And yeah - just the Wiimote. Have not tried a Zapper or other "gun" yet. This one screams for the Perfect Shot, though

I have been playing with the Zapper. I'm not sure this is good or not. Reloading is done by pressing 'A', which is a little awkward. I didn't realize Grenades were mapped to the 'C' button or that the 'Z' button swaps guns...until I had a second gun to actually swap TO. I do like the feel of holding the zapper like a gun, though, which counts for a lot.

Fighting the Screamer was a little odd, though, when you have to shake the zapper to get free. It worked, though.

And if blowing up the head of a Zombie Clown like an overripe Melon is Wrong...I don't wanna be right. =D
Old 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

I have been playing with the Zapper. I'm not sure this is good or not. Reloading is done by pressing 'A', which is a little awkward. I didn't realize Grenades were mapped to the 'C' button or that the 'Z' button swaps guns...until I had a second gun to actually swap TO. I do like the feel of holding the zapper like a gun, though, which counts for a lot.

Fighting the Screamer was a little odd, though, when you have to shake the zapper to get free. It worked, though.

And if blowing up the head of a Zombie Clown like an overripe Melon is Wrong...I don't wanna be right. =D

Amen, brother!

Gonna give the Zapper a try tonight.

On the topic of supporting hardcore titles, I wondered last night - after seeing the signage GameStop had for Godfather II - with EA's recently announced Wii commitment in 2009....think a Wii edition of the Corelone sequel could be in the works? Hope so, 'cause I personally felt EA pretty much knocked it out of the park with the 1st one when ported to the Wii.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

On the topic of supporting hardcore titles, I wondered last night - after seeing the signage GameStop had for Godfather II - with EA's recently announced Wii commitment in 2009....think a Wii edition of the Corelone sequel could be in the works? Hope so, 'cause I personally felt EA pretty much knocked it out of the park with the 1st one when ported to the Wii.

Agreed, but unfortunately the Godfather II game is going to apparently be more of a strategy game than a GTA clone, from what I've heard, though admittedly I haven't been following closely.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Old 02-12-2009, 08:10 PM

Liked: 14
This game is awesome!

Although, I really don't get the frame-skipping issues. They are highly annoying and seem to happen every 5-10 seconds.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

you guys are really making me want to pick this game up but I still have unfinished games, untouched games and plan on blowing some MIR visa cards that are finally coming in on WiiWare... ugh...

New Samsung LNTxx71f owner? Read the FAQ!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12429454
LNTxx71f owners FW list
Old 02-13-2009, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

ok, what the hell is wrong with Canada or Nintendo Canada or whoever is setting software prices in Canada. I was just at Future Shop and this title sells for $60. Zelda sells for $60. I could have bought Zelda used for $55! WHY? Amazon.ca lists HOTD:O for $49.99 and selling at 44.99. Most other games that are MSRP $50 in the US are MSRP $50 here. I don't see why we must be gouged on select titles.

Are certain games more vulnerable to the cold and hockey players and must therefor be manufactured and shipped special?

And while I'm ranting, why can't I use a US credit card to buy Wii Points especially concidering Nintendo is selling the points in USD?

Ok, I feel better... Maybe I'll just sneak this game onto a DS order from amazon then my wife wont complain.

New Samsung LNTxx71f owner? Read the FAQ!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12429454
LNTxx71f owners FW list
Old 02-13-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onund View Post

ok, what the hell is wrong with Canada or Nintendo Canada or whoever is setting software prices in Canada. I was just at Future Shop and this title sells for $60. Zelda sells for $60. I could have bought Zelda used for $55! WHY? Amazon.ca lists HOTD:O for $49.99 and selling at 44.99. Most other games that are MSRP $50 in the US are MSRP $50 here. I don't see why we must be gouged on select titles.

Are certain games more vulnerable to the cold and hockey players and must therefor be manufactured and shipped special?

And while I'm ranting, why can't I use a US credit card to buy Wii Points especially concidering Nintendo is selling the points in USD?

Ok, I feel better... Maybe I'll just sneak this game onto a DS order from amazon then my wife wont complain.

Yes, but us Yanks get bent over & screwed with our medical bills, so I guess it all comes out even....

Old 02-13-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onund View Post

Never underestimate a wife's ability to complain [IMG]http://************************************/img/2464/i09b0128lrvx/smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-13-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I picked this game up this morning, and I'm having a blast. My Wii has pretty much sat dormant since I got it because I broke my shoulder--I haven't even played everything on WiiSports.

HOTD:O really captures the vibe that I want in a lightgun game. I was close to selling my Wii, but this game and Mad World have me holding off from doing that...

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
Old 02-14-2009, 05:14 PM

I finished the game today and I must say I just love killing zombies.. After you complete the game you can play it again as a directors cut. This game is a ton of fun!!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I played the first level today, and I agree, it really is fun. I played with the Nyko PerfectShot, so I calibrated it and played with the crosshair off, except when I got to the boss I found that it was absolutely impossible to have the pinpoint accuracy needed to hit it in the head, so I had to turn the crosshair back on to do that.

Other than that, its an awesome game, and I agree, the grindhouse theme works really well.

I wish more game developers would realize that stylizing the game is a great way to hide the fact that its less powerful and not HD, because it really works well. (As another example, Okami was beautiful on the Wii, Madworld looks great, etc.)

Anyway, I'm not sure this is enough to pry me away from Left 4 Dead and Rock Band 2 for more than a level at a time, but its really a close to perfect on-rails shooter for the Wii. (The only thing I could see being even better would be a Time Crisis-esque feature which uses the balance board instead of a pedal to go into cover.)

Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 AM

I've gotten through the first 3 levels, after switching to a Nyko Perfect Shot after the 1st level. My accuracy was so much better with the calibrated Perfect Shot. One thing I notice: it seems my pistol reloads more often than I intend it to. Not sure if it thinks I'm 'shaking' the remote when actually firing sometimes, because when it does it, I'm not out of ammo, and sometimes take a hit from a Zombie because of the reload.

****EDIT****
I read on another forum that the reload issue I'm having could be if I point offscreen, which is possible as the zombies get close and are partly off to the left/right. I'll have to pay attention when I play it next and see...
Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I went to look for this at Target this weekend, but it was nowhere to be found. Does Target not sell M-rated games or something?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:

I went to look for this at Target this weekend, but it was nowhere to be found. Does Target not sell M-rated games or something?

Odd, they have it available on Target.com at http://www.target.com/House-Dead-Ove...%20dead&page=1

They don't offer it in store, per that page; however, they sell COD:WAW in stores, and it is M-rated with profanity and blood as well, although in a lesser degree...
Old 02-17-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, says "available online, but not available in stores." Well, that explains that. Ugh, I want to use a gift card but I refuse to pay shipping.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, says "available online, but not available in stores." Well, that explains that. Ugh, I want to use a gift card but I refuse to pay shipping.

Was in a local WalMart this wknd - the even more "family friendly" big box megastore had numerous copies of HOTD: Overkill in stock for $49.98.

If any big chain was not gonna stock such a subversive, M-rated Wii title, I'd think it would be WM - not Target.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Was in a local WalMart this wknd - the even more "family friendly" big box megastore had numerous copies of HOTD: Overkill in stock for $49.98.

If any big chain was not gonna stock such a subversive, M-rated Wii title, I'd think it would be WM - not Target.

Our local Target had it, but they got it two days after Gamestop, so no sale for them.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

Our local Target had it, but they got it two days after Gamestop, so no sale for them.

Come to think of it, Target.com was a place I checked on release day for this, just to confirm if a local store had them in. Seem to recall a different, later release date listed on their site.

Might want to check back, Mongo - HOTD may have materialized on the shelf there since your last visit.

Totally unrelated - but the wife really digs this game. I knew she loved arcade shooters (she holds top scores over everyone in the house on Wild West Guns & can do the Wii Play "duck hunt" pretty much blindfolded), but wasn't sure if the uber-gore stylings of this were up her alley. On the contrary, she really liked it & wants to play more (when RB2 or MK are not calling her, that is). We even spent a romantic Valentine's evening splattering zombies..err..mutants..after the kids were put to bed. You take your fun where you can once kids enter your life....

Old 02-17-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

And just to add....any Wii exclusive title where the 1st line of in-game/cutscene dialogue is "What's up, motherf***er" has got to get at least some praise, right?

Old 02-18-2009, 04:50 PM

As a followup to my earlier post:

Out of curiosity, have any of you played HOD: Overkill with the Nyko Perfect Shot, and, if so, experienced any issues with your Perfect Shot where it will reload unintentionally at inopportune times? I'm still trying to resolve that one frustrating issue with this game and my Perfect Shot.

I'm not shaking the Wii Remote in the Perfect Shot. It does this reloading even when I'm holding it steady and shooting. I tried playing without the Perfect Shot, and I don't have the issue. I don't have a 'stuck' A button, as was suggested as a possibility in another forum, since it does the same thing if I put my 2nd remote in the Perfect Shot. That's why I am wondering if others have the same problems with using the Perfect Shot in this game, which would imply that there is some inherent glitch when using a Perfect Shot in HOD: Overkill...
Old 02-18-2009, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goheat View Post

As a followup to my earlier post:

Out of curiosity, have any of you played HOD: Overkill with the Nyko Perfect Shot, and, if so, experienced any issues with your Perfect Shot where it will reload unintentionally at inopportune times? I'm still trying to resolve that one frustrating issue with this game and my Perfect Shot.

I'm not shaking the Wii Remote in the Perfect Shot. It does this reloading even when I'm holding it steady and shooting. I tried playing without the Perfect Shot, and I don't have the issue. I don't have a 'stuck' A button, as was suggested as a possibility in another forum, since it does the same thing if I put my 2nd remote in the Perfect Shot. That's why I am wondering if others have the same problems with using the Perfect Shot in this game, which would imply that there is some inherent glitch when using a Perfect Shot in HOD: Overkill...

I've used the Perfect Shot with it and haven't had any issues like that with reloading.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I've used the Perfect Shot with it and haven't had any issues like that with reloading.

Strange, last night I played and didn't have the issue, even though it's happened many times at different days for me. I did make a more conscious effort to hold the gun very still when shooting, so it just may be the (over) sensitivity of the game to any sharp motion of the Wii Remote as a signal to reload. That, or maybe I'm just crazy!
Old 02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I just got this used at GS ($40 with the Edge card) and a Perfect Shot... guess what I'm doing tonight?!

Btw, the disc looks brand new. I bet some mother bought this for a kid and then heard the "stylistic" language coming from the speakers and took it back.

chili
somebody set up us the bomb