post #91 of 99 Old 01-12-2010, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Don't bother with their "sales." On the off chance you're able to order off the website, the store is unlikely to honor the deal

The Fry's link shows that this price is for store pickup orders only - none shipped @ that price. In this case, the store HAS to honor the sale price, because the deal requires an online purchase that is picked up locally (although the game was selling on the shelf for the same price @ the Sacramento location - according to my bro-in-law who just grabbed a copy there).

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
when i went(Sunday) they had 0 copies of any game that was on clearance on their ad.

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

post #93 of 99 Old 01-19-2010, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Unless the RE name is attached, usually. Curious to see if both Darkside Chronicles does well & whether Capcom bothers promoting it beyond IGN & Nintendo Channel vids.

So I read Gamasutra's interview with Hudson, and they're totally agreeing with what we're all saying in this thread (it's about the game, stupid). Then Arstechnica did a little writeup on just this subject over the weekend.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...wii-market.ars

I didn't see this one until this morning, but an interesting, quick read... And I'm a little shocked by the RE numbers they quoted:

Quote:

the NPD has confirmed to Ars that the Resident Evil series has moved approximately 1.44 million units on the Wii in total, which makes for an average of 480,000 per game... In comparison, the PS2 version of RE4 has sold over two million copies, more than all three Wii games combined

I ended up trying Darkside Chronicles over the weekend, and I can see why it's not heating up the sales charts. The game is good (shaky cam is tough to work with at first), graphics are great, but it's very similar to every other rails shooter out there, and if you've played RE:2 and Veronica, there's not much to keep you coming back. I still get out Umbrella Chronicles from time to time because I don't always want to play through a full RE game, but DC wasn't enough to make me want to invest $30-$50 in another not-really-a-new-RE game...

So then I bought DS:E yesterday and it's damn good! The feeling of dread is awesome right from the get go, the graphics are sharp and the music sets the atmosphere perfectly... Other than being on rails, I don't get why it isn't selling more copies...

Now I'm doing my best not to read the spoiler tags on this thread

-vdz
post #94 of 99 Old 01-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

The Fry's link shows that this price is for store pickup orders only - none shipped @ that price. In this case, the store HAS to honor the sale price, because the deal requires an online purchase that is picked up locally (although the game was selling on the shelf for the same price @ the Sacramento location - according to my bro-in-law who just grabbed a copy there).

I can't argue with your Sacramento experience at all and I'm glad you got the deal. I tried one of the online store pickup deals from Fry's a couple weeks back. I ordered online, and got the email confirming the next morning saying they'd set it aside. I got to the Austin store, they wandered around for half an hour, then told me it was an error and I should get lost.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #95 of 99 Old 01-19-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

I can't argue with your Sacramento experience at all and I'm glad you got the deal. I tried one of the online store pickup deals from Fry's a couple weeks back. I ordered online, and got the email confirming the next morning saying they'd set it aside. I got to the Austin store, they wandered around for half an hour, then told me it was an error and I should get lost.

Wasn't me who got that deal, but my bro-in-law (sounds like maybe he was lucky).

Me? I paid around $35 for Madworld on release day w/ a trade in credit. And oddly, I do not regret it.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #96 of 99 Old 01-20-2010, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Damn, this game gets better the more I play it, litterally "Nooooo, I can't go to bed, I've gotta play another chapter!" good. I wish I had listened to everyone back when this thread started and bought it at launch... I'm only 4 chapters in, and I'm seriously considering going back to play the original DS on the PC so I can get the full experience, I'm totally hooked on the story.

This would have been awesome with a RE:4 style control, but the 'guided' portion of this is done so well, it's made my top 5 Wii games now.

For those interested, but not fpr $50, Gamestop dropped the price to the absolutely-worth-it $29.99.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...uct%5FID=74036

-vdz
post #97 of 99 Old 01-20-2010, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

I'm only 4 chapters in, and I'm seriously considering going back to play the original DS on the PC so I can get the full experience, I'm totally hooked on the story.

I was really impressed that Extraction actually got better the further along I went. Oftentimes, games will put their best looking stuff in the first few levels to hook you in only to drop the ball the deeper you go. Here, the level of intensity and inventiveness was sustained right up until the end. Really great effort and too bad the Wii just doesn't have the audience to sustain games like this.

You should definitely check out the original Dead Space at some point as the storylines of the two games are interconnected in some interesting ways and you see common events from different perspectives. For my money the original Dead Space (I have both the 360 and PS3 versions) was one of the best survival horror titles made with a storyline that made the Resident Evil entries look positively juvenile by comparison - but that's just my taste and preference for western titles to Japanese efforts these days.
post #98 of 99 Old 02-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://kotaku.com View Post

Visceral Games' Dead Space 2 may not be the next game you play in the sci-fi franchise. Recent surveys point to an Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network port of Wii misfire Dead Space Extraction and something brand new, Planet Cracker.

One survey's description of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 port of Dead Space Extraction indicates that any planned port of the game would feature the same on-rails "guided first-person experience" gameplay, pitched as an "interactive horror experience" in "full HD." A tentative price of $15 USD was mentioned in the survey forwarded to Kotaku.

Man... $15! Anyone heard the latest NPD sales data for DS:E? I know it was doing poorly initially, but if this happens it just goes to reinforce the "Wii games should be cheaper" arguments. In HD with true 5.1 sound this would be spectaular, and should silence some of the PS360 fanboi hate once they get a change to play it.

I still love this game, absolutely in my top 5 right there with HOTD:O. Just finished DS on PC and I'm amazined how well the two mesh together, everything was spot on and so well presented. I actually like Extraction BETTER- I didn't have to hear "Issac, go fix this!" 200 times... just "Nate, use your rivet gun!" 30 times

Afterthought: Woudln't it be nice if EA would be willing to port the original back to Wii?

-vdz
post #99 of 99 Old 02-09-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I read about the XBLA/PSN port as well. Personally, I don't think the game will work nearly as well with a control pad. The levels were really designed with a Wiimote scheme in mind and a pad probably won't be as responsive or quick enough. Even with the Wiimote it was often tough to open crates and other objects in time; with a control pad it would be practically impossible. Maybe if they wait until NATAL / ARC are released it will be a better fit but until then I say leave it alone.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page