post #61 of 378 Old 04-23-2009, 01:17 PM
kbp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck-a-sauras View Post

eh, this is debatable. Weight shifts are too small and I doubt the balance board has that kind of precision. You really shouldn't be shifting weight or swaying during a swing. picture an imaginary stripper pole running vertically up through your body. You should be rotating around that axis, not making any weight shifts perpendicular to that axis (which is the type of motion the balance board detects I think)

There are torque points (knees,feet) for the lower body during the swing hence cleats and Tiger's constantly blown out knee, but could the balance board really sense that kind circular motion around the axis I mentioned. I don't have a balance board so I don't know how well it works, why I listed this as debatable.

at best it would destroy your real life golf swing and give you bad habits like the horrible swaying hip motions.

The BB is VERY sensitive. It has pressure sensors.....weight scales.....at the four corners. It can figure weight shifts but not torque. There is a balancing test where you standing on it and try to keep your weight "centered" on it. It is very difficult to keep it in the targeted range as the board is that sensitive.

Your’s is one philosophy for one type of swing....a more “stacked” position, but it’s far from a universal consensus. You can also easily have a weight shift without a sway. A simple turn without any sway WILL change the pressure distribution under the feet....left to right....front to back.....depending on your spine angle and second axis tilt.

Most players set their weight at address more to the left or right depending on the club and the shot. Most players shift some weight to the inside of the back foot on the backswing, some specifically to the inside back heel, and then shift it to the left heel at the start of the downswing. This is more pronounced with the longer clubs and more subtle with the shorter clubs. Some have very subtle shifts, like Aaron Baddely, and some have large shifts like Nicklaus and Miller. Most great player finish the follow through with about 90 percent of their weight on the their front foot no matter the club. All this would be very easy to measure. Even if you wanted NO weight shift, the BB could pick up if fail to stay "centered".

It’s moot anyway. The reality is that the board is too narrow and even if it wasn’t, it would be extremely complicated to implement. Plus, would anyone really want it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 378 Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

They'll probably have a wii fit plus which would be ebtter suited for any type of game, including golf.

Really it could be good for any sports game if ti were made for that. For football if you were leaning one way that would be realistic such as when a QB is leaning to avoid being sacked or something. In baseball obviously your stance and balance matter also. Think how cool sports games "could" be in the future when some of this hardware is perfected. I am already excited about TW10 and it appears the new motions are great and so the balance board is the only thing that needs to be improved for full movements of every type and then developers who WANT TO make good sports games (EA sports, NOT 2k sports as they love putting out crap) could make some great sports games.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
post #63 of 378 Old 05-04-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
http://blastmagazine.com/the-magazin...-a-week-early/

Looks like EA has bumped both of it's Motion Plus titles - TW10 & Grand Slam Tennis - up a week. Now hitting NA retail on June 8.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #64 of 378 Old 05-04-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Awesome.

Got Zelda
post #65 of 378 Old 05-05-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Some posters on IGN seem to think wii motion plus will not be a big deal and that this game will "suck". It sure didn't seem to be conveyed that way in IGN'S comments about it. I thought they sounded excited about it, but these people say they sounded underwhelmed.

Got Zelda
post #66 of 378 Old 05-05-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Oh my GAH you mean to tell me you found some random contrarian negativity on Internet? Better make some room on your mantle for that Pulitzer. Seriously, was it really worth your time to post about how some random dudes on some random other message board think something might suck?
post #67 of 378 Old 05-05-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Oh my GAH you mean to tell me you found some random contrarian negativity on Internet? Better make some room on your mantle for that Pulitzer. Seriously, was it really worth your time to post about how some random dudes on some random other message board think something might suck?

What? Someone on the Web posted about how much an as-of-yet unreleased product is going to suck?

What is happening in this world? Is the Apocalypse nigh?

Anonymous Haters make the world wide web go 'round.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #68 of 378 Old 05-05-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp View Post

It's moot anyway. The reality is that the board is too narrow and even if it wasn't, it would be extremely complicated to implement. Plus, would anyone really want it?

it would take a new redesigned board... and take a lot of well implemented software...

but yea, i'd want it... it's a long time between "real" rounds in the wintertime... a golf game that would be THAT realistic would be very cool...

after all... i suck at "real" golf... it should be the same way for "play" golf...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #69 of 378 Old 05-05-2009, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I meant comments under IGN's story about the release date being moved up. No it's not shocking seeing someone say an unreleased product will suck, but what I meant to say was it was odd that their reasoning for saying it was that IGN and others seemed underwhelmed and I don't see where they got that idea from because I think IGN acted excited.

Got Zelda
post #70 of 378 Old 05-05-2009, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Tiger Woods 10 and the Wii Motion Plus is what has convinced me to become a Wii owner. When I see the videos of the Wii Motion Plus in action with Tiger Woods 10, and read the glowing reports of the experienced TW gamers who attended the Tiger Woods Community Day event at Tiburon back in February, I need no further persuation.

I heard one of the Wii version producers, Randy Chase, on EA Sports Live radio talking about some of the testing and tuning they did with the Wii version. He spoke of when they had Kelly Tilghman (Golf Channel Anchor) in the studio and asked her to try out the Wii version. Kelly was having trouble watching the golfer animation while putting with the new precision putting method. They suggested that Kelly not look at the animation and just pretend that she's swinging a putter. After an approach shot she was left with a flat 10 foot putt on a medium speed green. Kelly looked down at the imaginary putter head and swung the Wii Motion Plus as if it were a putter, never looking up. She drained the putt!

I'm an XBox 360 owner and have played Tiger Woods since its inception on the Playstation 1, but I can honestly say that the Wii version seems to have the best chance of having the level of feel and immersion that I've been seeking in console golf for years. The swing interface truly does look to be 1:1, and that's where the 360 version has come up woefully lacking from 2006-2009.

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #71 of 378 Old 05-06-2009, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I am expecting it to be rgeat. the disc golf alone is enough reason for me to buy it, but just thinking of the likelihood of the putting being better is great!

On wii sports golf I putted how I would in real life as far as how hard I "swung" and it seemed quite accurate even back then. TW 09 was not very accurate as far as velocuty-sensiing. Everything I have heard is that this is much better.

Got Zelda
post #72 of 378 Old 05-06-2009, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

Yeah I am expecting it to be rgeat. the disc golf alone is enough reason for me to buy it, but just thinking of the likelihood of the putting being better is great!

The disc golf is just icing on the cake! The multiple putter range system they've used on this game on the 360 made the game feel crippled with a gamepad. I can't imagine how confining and counter intuitive it would feel with a motion controller.

It does look like they've got the 1:1 relationship between your Wii Motion controller and the golfer animation down pretty well. I'm looking forward to hitting a 90% wedge with some degree of proportional feel, as opposed to the crap shoot that partial shots were in 2006 to 2009 (if you didn't use the pause method commonly exploited in the 360 and PS3 versions).

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #73 of 378 Old 05-06-2009, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

In the wii versions it felt like a crap shoot when trying to hit below maximum power also. It's quite pathetic and I am worried it may be the same in 10, but I hope not.

Got Zelda
post #74 of 378 Old 05-06-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

I meant comments under IGN's story about the release date being moved up. No it's not shocking seeing someone say an unreleased product will suck, but what I meant to say was it was odd that their reasoning for saying it was that IGN and others seemed underwhelmed and I don't see where they got that idea from because I think IGN acted excited.

I find that, in many instances, IGN and Gamespot offer glowing 'hands-on' previews, then offer negative reviews when the games are actually released. I find that rather irritating...
post #75 of 378 Old 05-06-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I agree that does sometimes happen. They gushed over some game in the past and then it weas released and bashed in the review. I can't remember which game, but it made me mad. I am wondering if they're scared they will get sued if they say anything bad about it before a certain date, but if they could get sued for that then the legal system is getting beyond ridiculous. People have a right to people's opinions. Reviewing seems like an annoying process. I can't even get legit answers about which photos of products can be used in reviews without permission. I highly doubt many review sites go around asking for permission to show a cover of a product for thousands of products they review. I emailed a company which actually TAKES photos of products for the companies themselves and have eben ignored when I asked if they happened to know the procedure also. One person told me if you take a picture of it yourself then there is no problem because it's informational and you showing your own product rather than using someone else's. But then people from this site acted like I should receive the death penalty for showing a pic of a product when reviewing it.

Got Zelda
post #76 of 378 Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Game mags give glowing previews because otherwise the game companies will stop sending them preview builds.
post #77 of 378 Old 05-08-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Online tournament mode: http://wii.ign.com/articles/981/981244p1.html

Got Zelda
post #78 of 378 Old 05-09-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
kind of OT, but didn't want to start a new thread....
does anyone know if you use the nunchuck with Grand slam tennis or is it just like wii tennis??
post #79 of 378 Old 05-09-2009, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I believe you have the option for either with it or without.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #80 of 378 Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys, I'm not a Wii owner (yet), but I've already got Tiger Woods 10 / Wii Motion Plus plus bundle pre-ordered. I'm reading that "Wii Speak" is not supported in Tiger Woods 10, which will take some of the immersion out of live multiplayer play. Anyone know why they wouldn't implement that in TW 10? Was it in TW 09, and didn't work well perhaps?

post #81 of 378 Old 05-11-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Because everyone seems to be ignoring WiiSpeak in general. There is exactly one game it can be used for currently, and exactly one game coming out soon that will support it. Other than that, nothing. Peripherals rarely see widespread support outside of a handful of games, and I guess developers figure that, given the state of online Wii gaming, it's not worth their time to work in WiiSpeak support.
post #82 of 378 Old 05-11-2009, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply Mongo; I had no idea that the Wii was this connectivity challenged online. I'm still looking forward to the game though, it will just take some getting used to from what I've experienced with the XBox 360's oral communications support.

It looks like the Wii version will more than make up for its lack of WiiSpeak support with the 1:1 swing interface. This is going to allow simulation minded golfers a chance to execute partial shots/knockdown shots with a degree of acuity not possible on the 360 and PS3. Not to mention the fact that with 11additional PGA Tour courses, the Play-the-Pros feature will have a lot more correlation to the real PGA Tour.

I'm ecstatic over the additions to online play options and competition types this year, but I've got to believe that Wii owners will be particularly blown away by what's in store with Tiger Woods 10 in this department!

post #83 of 378 Old 05-11-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay View Post

Thanks for the reply Mongo; I had no idea that the Wii was this connectivity challenged online. I'm still looking forward to the game though, it will just take some getting used to from what I've experienced with the XBox 360's oral communications support.

It looks like the Wii version will more than make up for its lack of WiiSpeak support with the 1:1 swing interface. This is going to allow simulation minded golfers a chance to execute partial shots/knockdown shots with a degree of acuity not possible on the 360 and PS3. Not to mention the fact that with 11additional PGA Tour courses, the Play-the-Pros feature will have a lot more correlation to the real PGA Tour.

I'm ecstatic over the additions to online play options and competition types this year, but I've got to believe that Wii owners will be particularly blown away by what's in store with Tiger Woods 10 in this department!

WiiSpeak's rollout title - Animal Crossing - has been relatively successful, but did not light the Wii world on fire w/ it's voice chat features. The Conduit is next to support it and is to bring online FPS multiplayer smack talk to the Nintendo machine, but we'll see how it goes.

That said, the new online features look to make this - along w/ the M+ business - the version to own. Another major plus for EA Sports Wii titles w/ online play is the anihilation of the Friend Code. Your online EA handle will suffice & others can be searched, connected to, invited & messaged by name while logged on.

post #84 of 378 Old 05-11-2009, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Sold TW09, de Blob (fun but not a lot of replay value) and Deadly Creatures (tedious - I got 2/3 of the way through the game and gave up because I found it boring) to raise the capital to pre-order TW10/WM+ bundle from Amazon for $59.99. The videos released by EA were the deciding factor. My expectations are dangerously high for this game.

Anyone have a full course list? I found a few partial lists mentioning Oakmont, Torry Pines, Bethpage Black and a couple others, but nothing complete.
post #85 of 378 Old 05-11-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, this is sounding like a golf game I may actually purchase.

post #86 of 378 Old 05-11-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

mdr what did you get for TW09? I should probably sell TW09, TW07, and Madden07 even if I dont get hardly anything for them because why own the old versions when I will have madden 09 and tw10 anywya.

Got Zelda
post #87 of 378 Old 05-12-2009, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Surprisingly I got about $32 including shipping. I was thinking I'd be lucky to get $20 with the new game just around the corner.

I found TW09 to be pretty much unplayable because of the putting...I almost feel bad getting that much for it
post #88 of 378 Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

lol yeah the putting was quite annoying.

Well I should try to sell mine. I always wait too late.

Got Zelda
post #89 of 378 Old 05-12-2009, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

http://wii.ign.com/articles/980/980933p1.html

Time needs to hurry and pass. I am salivating for this game. As I said many times, the disc golf is the absolute main thing that I want and here is IGN saying flat out how addictive it is and how well it eprforms, just as it seemed to me it would from the first video.

I've played disc golg in real life with the various disc types and I think this feature is going to flat out make the wii the ebst version of this game hands down, not to mention the great controls promised for traditional golf in this version. I want it now!

The only thing I am annoyed with is I don't wanna pay $20 to get a second wii motion plus piece for people who would visit me to play this game. I get tired of spending money for others' controllers. ahhhhh. I wish they had a bundle with 2 wii motion plus devices and the game for $70. At least would save me $10 more that way.

The link to this article was titled in a way where I thought they meant disc golf had an online mode too. I guess it doesn't, but that would have been awesome too.

Got Zelda
post #90 of 378 Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Since golf is asynchronous multiplayer, most games have a pass-the-controller option that allows everyone to use the same controller. It will be boneheaded if TW10 doesn't have this as an option.

(Just make sure you force your guests to use the wiimote strap. I could definitely see an overzelous release of the B button in the Frisbee game resulting in a smashed TV.)

Real-life Disc Golf is a blast. Sadly there's not many courses here in eastern Mass.
Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page