Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Wii - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2009, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes and I think it's just as dumb that people are telling me I'm sucking at this game due to no real life golfing experience too. I highly doubt all of the people rating the game 9's have been out golfing.

I've tried all of the suggestions here and nothing is working. Just finished up another round of boring golf where controls didn't work at all. I barely move my wrist on a chip shot and it goes 100%. I do a full motion on a drive and it goes 65%. Having the wiimote parallel to the ground at the peak only makes it hook to the right for me and does not add distance. I just played 9 holes and on every shot was trying different swings and none of them would do a drive even close to 100%. Long and slow, long and fat, short and slow, short and fast, wiimote pointed straight down, wiimote held at a golf club angle, nothing is working.

My point on how i would do in real life is that I'm not bad at sports like mongo is assuming.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Since you're playing in a match, adjust your stance to the left to counter your tendency to hook shots to the right. See if that makes a difference. Then, when you're not engaged in golf match, hit the driving range and practice hitting straight shots until you can overcome your hook.

well it's still not goign close to full power either so it's not a case of me only needing to correct the hook. I ened to figure out both problems.

edit: I don't see a driving range in the game.

Got Zelda
Old 06-10-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I just picked it up and its great. I havent had any issues with the swing mechanics.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

edit: I don't see a driving range in the game.

I was speaking figuratively. Keep going through the tutorials over and over to get the results that you want. Doing it once correctly doesn't mean that you've mastered the skill.

I can't imagine that you're having so many problems with the game. Got a friend or relative close by who would come over and play a game so that you can observe each other techniques?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes soon I will play against people, but they usually aren't so great on advanced modes anwyay. My cousin may be good at it, I dunno.

I'm just not so sure it's what I'm doing vs. somethign wrong with the accessory. But it's obvious it recognizes the accessory so it must be me. Maybe it's because of me physically though such as arm length or something because this sin't real life so who knows what can throw things off.

Got Zelda
Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
http://g4tv.com/games/wii/57207/tige...our-10/review/

G4TV gave this 5/5.

NOt due to their review, but I am beginning to feel the need to buy this one.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 06-10-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

People people people...if we are going to continue having civil discourse about this game, we have to get something straight: A ball that moves left to right while airborne is a slice; a ball that moves right to left is a hook. Less extreme versions are called fades (slight left to right) and draws (slight right to left).

This is the correct terminology if you are a right handed. It is reversed if you are a lefty (or if you play a lefty on TV, like Phil). If you are a righty, saying you "hooked it right" makes as much sense as saying you "popped it down" or "topped it straight up."

Since I don't have the game yet, all I have is my pedantry.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr25 View Post

People people people...if we are going to continue having civil discourse about this game, we have to get something straight: A ball that moves left to right while airborne is a slice; a ball that moves right to left is a hook. Less extreme versions are called fades (slight left to right) and draws (slight right to left).

This is the correct terminology if you are a right handed. It is reversed if you are a lefty (or if you play a lefty on TV, like Phil). If you are a righty, saying you "hooked it right" makes as much sense as saying you "popped it down" or "topped it straight up."

Since I don't have the game yet, all I have is my pedantry.

In real life my game consists of many slices and a few straight lines. I wish my game knew what a fade was from time to time.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
Old 06-10-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't care about the terminology. If I say it gos to the right it doesn't take a genius to know it went more to the right than I wanted. I always mix up the terms so rather than accidentally reverse them I said hook.

Got Zelda
Old 06-10-2009, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I gave the vocabulary lesson with tongue-in-cheek, but really it does help to use the correct term. If you say "I always hook it right", maybe it doesn't matter. But if you get lazy and shorten that to "I always hook it" when you mean "I always slice it", people will give you backwards advice that will only exacerbate the problem. And then you will complain that it is all the game's fault since you've tried everything that everyone has suggested and it still "hooks".
Old 06-10-2009, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Do the terms reverse for left handed people? Just curious, I'm right handed.

Got Zelda
Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't even bother trying this again. Sigh. Not too fun when nothing seems to work right for me. Really even disc golf is harder to judge than in real life for me personally. In real life I know more how hard to release than by looking on a screen.

Got Zelda
Old 06-11-2009, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I didn't even bother trying this again. Sigh. Not too fun when nothing seems to work right for me.

"I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball." --World Famous Golfer, Ty Webb
Old 06-11-2009, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Is he related to jwebb?

Got Zelda
Old 06-11-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do the terms reverse for left handed people? Just curious, I'm right handed.

Did you read my full post? Just curious, I answered that question before you asked it.

I know you love to give up-to-the-second information on your current feelings about the game, but maybe you can just summarize them once each day so this thread doesn't just become Basher's Blog of TW10 Misery? If you insist on taking over the thread, at least read the posts of people trying to set the record straight for you.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:

"I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball." --World Famous Golfer, Ty Webb

nananananananananannaananana
Old 06-11-2009, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmoze View Post

Just got TW10 yesterday. It's *that* good. And I haven't even played golf yet--just disc golf. Control is amazing--just pretend that you're actually playing disc golf (soften your throw a bit for shorter shots) and it works, just like the real sport.

The acid test for me was trying this special throw I have--holding the disc like a regular backhand, but tilting your arm over your right shoulder (around a 45-degree angle outward) and throwing the disc upside-down. it rides in a high arc and drops faster (being upside-down) than a regular shot that sails. And guess what: this odd shot style works in TW10 just like in real life! AMAZING! That proves to me that the physics and control are really spot on.

Gonna try the "ball golf" soon....

Can you try a hammer throw, where you throw the disc like you are hammering? The disc is perpendicular to the ground. We used to do this to huck the disc over a tree. It does a a parabolic flight over the tree, then flattens out on the way down and glides to the inside of your throw.

Disc golf is a wonderful lifestyle.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
This game is fantastic. Controls are great. Wii Motion Plus is great. For a Wii Golf game this has to be the best one available.

Go get it!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:

I didn't even bother trying this again. Sigh. Not too fun when nothing seems to work right for me. Really even disc golf is harder to judge than in real life for me personally. In real life I know more how hard to release than by looking on a screen.

Man - after reading all your issues I'd HAVE to say that you probably have some sort of hardware defect. Whether it exists in the WiiMotion+ or in your sensor bar or what - who knows.

But the simple fact that you're getting odd power percentages leads me to believe that something isn't registering properly. I'm assuming that there's nothing blocking your WiiMote from being picked up by the sensor bar and that you've ruled out all the obvious issues.

When you say that you barely swing on a chip shot and get 100% power it reminds me of last year's game. It's almost as if your WiiMotion+ isn't working properly.

If you lived near me I'd say just come on over one night and we'd use both my hardware and your hardware to see if it's you or the equipment. I'm guessing you've got an equipment issue though b/c even if I swing horribly (with lots of draw or slice) I'm still getting accurate power percentages and you're not. The power simply comes from how far back you take the controller coupled with the rhythm and speed of your downswing.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby View Post

Man - after reading all your issues I'd HAVE to say that you probably have some sort of hardware defect. Whether it exists in the WiiMotion+ or in your sensor bar or what - who knows.

But the simple fact that you're getting odd power percentages leads me to believe that something isn't registering properly. I'm assuming that there's nothing blocking your WiiMote from being picked up by the sensor bar and that you've ruled out all the obvious issues.

When you say that you barely swing on a chip shot and get 100% power it reminds me of last year's game. It's almost as if your WiiMotion+ isn't working properly.

If you lived near me I'd say just come on over one night and we'd use both my hardware and your hardware to see if it's you or the equipment. I'm guessing you've got an equipment issue though b/c even if I swing horribly (with lots of draw or slice) I'm still getting accurate power percentages and you're not. The power simply comes from how far back you take the controller coupled with the rhythm and speed of your downswing.

The sensor bar has nothing to with swinging the club. The sensor bar is only used for actions that involve pointing at the screen and moving a "cursor".
Old 06-11-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbill View Post

The sensor bar has nothing to with swinging the club. The sensor bar is only used for actions that involve pointing at the screen and moving a "cursor".

You can play your Wii w/o a sensor bar, if you replace it with something that emits enough IR light in the right way.

2 burning candles in the correct position will act as a sensor bar in a dimly lit room.

And no Basher - Ty Webb is no relation to me. In fact, he's a fictional character (Chevy Chase's role in CADDYSHACK, in case you were not familiar).

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 06-11-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbill View Post

Really? So if I play the Wii bowling game and I have a couch between me and the TV, then you're telling me that the Wii will still pick up the motions even when my hand dips below the top of the couch where the motion sensor cannot pick it up?

Interesting. But I've been in this exact situation and found the response to be poor but I guess I was just imagining it??
Old 06-11-2009, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Thank you very little"

Ah to go back to the days when Chevy Chase was relevant.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby View Post

Really? So if I play the Wii bowling game and I have a couch between me and the TV, then you're telling me that the Wii will still pick up the motions even when my hand dips below the top of the couch where the motion sensor cannot pick it up?

Redbill speaks the truth. I've played Wii Bowling facing perpendicular to the TV, facing completely away from the TV, and across the room behind a wall, and it still works the exact same. That kind of motion detection is handled completely within the Wiimote itself. Like Redbill said, the sensor bar is only used when there's a cursor/pointer/crosshairs/whatever on screen.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I see some comments on barely swinging on a chip and getting 100%. Isn't that how chips are? You barely swing back to chip. You want it to go farther you chip with a different club or chip it lower so it rolls farther. If you take a 50% chip shot (slow down your swing), the ball would move 1 inch.

I think the chipping is great in this game. Still need to work on my slight hook that I seem to have....

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

Old 06-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

Can you try a hammer throw, where you throw the disc like you are hammering? The disc is perpendicular to the ground. We used to do this to huck the disc over a tree. It does a a parabolic flight over the tree, then flattens out on the way down and glides to the inside of your throw.

Disc golf is a wonderful lifestyle.

Yep, you can do a hammer/tomahawk throw.

Xbox Live GT: QuasiCorn
Old 06-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

I see some comments on barely swinging on a chip and getting 100%. Isn't that how chips are? You barely swing back to chip. You want it to go farther you chip with a different club or chip it lower so it rolls farther. If you take a 50% chip shot (slow down your swing), the ball would move 1 inch.

I think the chipping is great in this game. Still need to work on my slight hook that I seem to have....

Hoosier, what up! We need to play this game sometime.

Xbox Live GT: QuasiCorn
Old 06-11-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dburchfield View Post

Hoosier, what up! We need to play this game sometime.

Yeah, Quasi, picked it up last night and played 9 at Torrey Pines. Shot 48. Didn't know anyone in our COD4 crew had the wii too. I will sign up for an EA account tonight. How will I find you?

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Redbill speaks the truth. I've played Wii Bowling facing perpendicular to the TV, facing completely away from the TV, and across the room behind a wall, and it still works the exact same. That kind of motion detection is handled completely within the Wiimote itself. Like Redbill said, the sensor bar is only used when there's a cursor/pointer/crosshairs/whatever on screen.

Sweet! Thanks for the confirmation! That's good to know.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

Yeah, Quasi, picked it up last night and played 9 at Torrey Pines. Shot 48. Didn't know anyone in our COD4 crew had the wii too. I will sign up for an EA account tonight. How will I find you?

He needs to give you his EA screen name. THAT is your Friend Code for all EA Sports Wii titles. EA uses their own servers, not the Nintendo WFC, for online play. You can search others simply by name. Also becasue of skipping Ninty's own service, EA Sports games are the only Wii online games that allow save data to be sent/stored to SD card & installed onto a different Wii. Nice - your TW10 saves can be taken to a buddy's house to use on his/her Wii.

What is also cool about EA's online Wii stuff is that if you set up an account with, say, a Madden game - and that same account can be used & accessed by all EA Sports Wii titles.

Should I go with TW or GS Tennis, I will already have an online account from Madden 09 to use (and will also use for Madden 10).