Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
http://wii.ign.com/articles/961/961390p2.html

For Basher & all others wishing for a perfect golf sim - and still did not get it w/ TW09?

IGN has played TW10 on Wii - with Motion Plus (which is not required for play). Sounds like they FINALLY nailed 1:1 golfing control. And made improvements all around.

Looks like the biggies -draw/fade & putting - have been majorly improved via MotionPlus. Sounds like some Wii content was yanked this time for more "requested" ones. Could this mean no more All Play & more memory/processing power spent on making EA's Wii sport titles that much more "next gen"? I hope so.

Best new addition, IMO? TW10 will sync with your Wii Forecast Channel. Is it raining, sunny, windy, etc @ (insert relevant real course that is featured in the game), same weather conditions when you play the course. Cool.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That is exciting news. I received TW09 as a gift and have only played it a few times because the putting was so buggy. It is amazing that Wii Sports is still arguably the best golf game on Wii. TW10 should finally fix that. (Although, that's what we said about TW09 too.)
Old 03-11-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Yeah, my favorite part of the article:

Quote:

"The benefit to putting is also tremendous. It feels much more realistic. You use a single putter and your power is determined by a combination of your backswing length and your downswing tempo. Hit it soft and it won't go far. Hit it hard and off it goes. A medium tempo swing should get you where you want to go. We've even added the ability to push or pull your shots when putting. The fidelity is that precise," says Shenkman. "The best part about it is that it's consistent so you can learn how to putt without even looking at the screen."

Though, one of the secondary features that it mentions they removed is confidence, and I personally think that is more important to a golf game than they make it sound. I don't know about you, but if I'm golfing and hook it into the trees, I'm much more likely to f*** up the next shot too.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Old 03-11-2009, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr25 View Post

That is exciting news. I received TW09 as a gift and have only played it a few times because the putting was so buggy. It is amazing that Wii Sports is still arguably the best golf game on Wii. TW10 should finally fix that. (Although, that's what we said about TW09 too.)

The article did state that TW09 puting is still an option, but the new iteration is much smoother. Probably still in-game as MotionPlus may not be retail-ready before TW10 hits the streets.

Mentioned improved online play, including tournaments - but they're saving some news for later.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 03-11-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I havent read it, but jnudging by these comments, sounds awesome! Better putting alone is enough to make me happy. But the forecast sync sounds VERY cool also!

edit: cvool even wind would be accurate via forecast channel also. See this also depresses me because it reminds me what I am NOT getting since EA sprots can't make a mlb game with official names.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
Old 03-11-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

I havent read it, but jnudging by these comments, sounds awesome! Better putting alone is enough to make me happy. But the forecast sync sounds VERY cool also!

edit: cvool even wind would be accurate via forecast channel also. See this also depresses me because it reminds me what I am NOT getting since EA sprots can't make a mlb game with official names.

IGN's Matt C. summed it up when saying that after playing golf w/ MotionPlus there is no going back to "old" wiimote style or analog stick.

I may just have to get this one. The "bad" + my dislike of golf in general kept me from TW09. But this sounds pretty cool.

Madden 09 also allows for current weather conditions as an option for your stadium choice (dome stadiums, of course, negate the usefullness of this). I assume it synced to the Forecast Channel as well. Would be nice if Madden 10 Wii would have actual falling snow for such conditions this year.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I never noticed any setting dfor that on madden. Also I thought you do have TW09 also.

Got Zelda
Old 03-15-2009, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

http://wii.ign.com/articles/962/962284p1.html

Second EA sports game IGN is extremely impressed with which also used motion plus. Also I never paid attention and thought you had to buy new controllers for wii motion plus, but apparently you use a "dongle".

Got Zelda
Old 03-16-2009, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Joystiq is a little less sure about MotionPlus in Grand Slam Tennis (though they admit they didn't have much time with it): http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/13/jo...d-slam-tennis/

They do say that Tiger Woods was "the most impressive implimentation [sic] of MotionPlus we've tried yet."

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/13/jo...-woods-10-wii/

Old 03-16-2009, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

http://wii.ign.com/articles/962/962284p1.html

Second EA sports game IGN is extremely impressed with which also used motion plus. Also I never paid attention and thought you had to buy new controllers for wii motion plus, but apparently you use a "dongle".

It is an add on w/ a pass-thru for nunchuck connection. Also looks like a new Wiimote jacket is included to accomodate for the slightly longer Wiimote once M+ add-on is connected.

M+ adds additional accelerometers & a gyroscope, I believe.

One add-on will come w/ Wii Sports Resort & M+ will also be available seperately. It's also believed that Nintendo may make new Wiimotes w/ M+ built in, but I doubt we see that until the next gen of Nintendo console (I really doubt they replace the Wiimote come the new Nintendo machine).

Old 03-16-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
i am surprised we don't have a release date on M+, yet??
Old 03-16-2009, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

i am surprised we don't have a release date on M+, yet??

At least the EA games will work wth or without M+.

I wonder if Nintendo is planning another, better M+ demo @ E3.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Well since they gave them to people to test already and EA is releasing 2 games in June which use it, I am somewhat optimistic it would be out in June.

Got Zelda
Old 03-16-2009, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The recent Internet rabble about M+ geting delayed was shot down by the fact that Nintendo had never issued a firm release date for Wii Sports Resort. I too imagine that game & M+ will show up at/near the same time the EA games are released.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
can you use the balance board with TW10? How about 09?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonstiller View Post

I'd say doubtful for 2010, definitely not for 09.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonstiller View Post

Balance Board for golf? Why?

Old 04-08-2009, 03:17 PM
kbp

A properly integrated balance board application for golf would be incredible..... and incredibly difficult to implement. Maybe not so obvious to the non-golfer, but this could add TONS of realism, if done right. It would certainly have to be an optional feature, otherwise the wii game could get as hard as the “real” game, for a casual player.

The "key" to real golf is dynamic balance.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think the BB is big enough to accommodate the width of a proper golf stance.

Nifty idea, though. Although you are right it would be incredibly difficult to implement.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp View Post

A properly integrated balance board application for golf would be incredible..... and incredibly difficult to implement. Maybe not so obvious to the non-golfer, but this could add TONS of realism, if done right. It would certainly have to be an optional feature, otherwise the wii game could get as hard as the real game, for a casual player.

The "key" to real golf is dynamic balance.

EA did claim recently that Motion + was at times "too accurate" & had to crank down sensitivity a little bit in some areas.

"Real" may not equal "easy".

Old 04-09-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I see that Amazon has set a release date of June 16 for this game, but has Nintendo made any official announcement as to when people can buy a Wii Motion Plus Remote or the Wii Motion Plus dongle?

I'd be disappointed if I bought this game and there was no piece of equipment to make it do all the wonderful things it's supposed to do. With so many Wiis out there, will there be a shortage of Wii Motion Plus dongles?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Well you could think of it this way: Buy the game when it comes out, and then when you buy MotionPlus later on, it's like getting a whole new game.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I think Nintendo just announced that Wii Sports Resort is due out in the States in July, which almost certainly means that Motion Plus won't be available till then either. Maybe EA will push back the release date to correspond (I doubt it), but either way, yeah, you'll be playing the waiting game.

As for availability when the time comes, my best guess is that it won't be all that difficult to find MP dongles, since really it's just an incremental improvement that improves play, which isn't as likely to set off a consumer feeding frenzy as a new invention that gives you a whole different way to play (a la Wii Fit/balance board). Still, with Wii stuff you never know, so reserving one if you can never hurts.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I think Nintendo just announced that Wii Sports Resort is due out in the States in July, which almost certainly means that Motion Plus won't be available till then either. Maybe EA will push back the release date to correspond (I doubt it), but either way, yeah, you'll be playing the waiting game.

As for availability when the time comes, my best guess is that it won't be all that difficult to find MP dongles, since really it's just an incremental improvement that improves play, which isn't as likely to set off a consumer feeding frenzy as a new invention that gives you a whole different way to play (a la Wii Fit/balance board). Still, with Wii stuff you never know, so reserving one if you can never hurts.

Saw that news today as well. Resort hits US in July, Japan in June.

While doubtful, perhaps the M+ add-ons will come first? Doubt it.

I imagine those "in the know" will snap up Tiger Woods AFTER M+ hits store shelves here. can be played without, but why would you?

Old 04-09-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Games that weren't designed specifically for WM+ won't benefit from it, correct?

It'll still be tough to get, I'd wager. Especially without Resort. Hardware production is a more time consuming process than software, and they're going to pack the limited available units in the highest-margin way possible. (I'm not complaining; if I ran Nintendo I'd do it the same way.) Resort will probably be a little tough to find, but standalone WM+ units will be very hard to find.

Ironically, you might have an easier time buying Resort or a standalone WM+ right when they first come out. All those unwashed "casual" gaming fans don't track release dates very closely. Kart was easy to find for the first couple weeks, for example.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr25 View Post

Games that weren't designed specifically for WM+ won't benefit from it, correct?

Neeope. Well, maybe psychologically. Like back when I used to enter random codes into Game Genie and swear I noticed something change in-game.

You may be right about availability--like I said, it's better to err on the side of caution and reserve one if you can. But I think it'll be closer to Mario Kart/Wii Wheel-level availability than Wii Fit/Balance Board-level insanity.

Also, don't forget that MP is also supposed to be bundled with EA's upcoming tennis game, previously dated for June 16 (though now will probably be pushed back to coincide with Wii Sports Resort), giving you another way to get it if needed. Come to think of it, wasn't Tiger Woods 10 rumored to be bundled with it too? If so, maybe it indeed will be pushed back.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hope Nintendo goes into overproduction with these Motion Plus dongles so that there isn't a shortage right out of the gate. If I'm playing the new Tennis game that uses Motion Plus with a bunch of friends, we'll ALL want to have a Motion Plus dongle. If most people that currently own Wiis feel that way, then each Wii household will be buying a minimum of two dongles when they go on sale.

Guess what happens in Japan will be a good indication of what to expect here.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

MotionPlus available alone on June 8 for $20, bundled with Wii Sports Resort on July 26 for $50:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/14/wi...ollowing-on-j/

Old 04-14-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

$20? I would've preferred a slightly lower price--not for just the obvious financial reasons, but for the aim of getting MP into the hands of as many Wii owners as possible. MP controls becoming near-standard from here on out would be awesome.

The early release is a nice surprise though, even though the large gap between the release dates of MP and Wii Sports Resort seems a bit odd.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

$20? I would've preferred a slightly lower price--not for just the obvious financial reasons, but for the aim of getting MP into the hands of as many Wii owners as possible. MP controls becoming near-standard from here on out would be awesome.

The early release is a nice surprise though, even though the large gap between the release dates of MP and Wii Sports Resort seems a bit odd.

$19.99 (or $19.97 if your a WalMart shopper) is about what I imagined a M+ thingy would run on it's own. $10-15 would have been better.

I think the belief the big N has is that most M+ sales will be those bundled w/ Resort. Of course, that'll be a big "party game", so you're gonna need 1-3 more (I think Mario is firing up another money printing machine out back as we speak, just in case). I also wonder if a new Wiimote is on the horizon that has it built in. If the latter is the case, then M+ support (mostly) across the board could happen.