Wii Zelda 2010 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 257 Old 06-16-2010, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think the graphics look good enough, and the wait is to be expected.

My only complaint would have to be the HUD. Whats with the GIANT on screen wiimote/nunchuck? Do they really think players want/need every command shown on screen at all times? Better be an option to turn off.

PSN: moosemeister
XBOXlive: beilzebub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 257 Old 06-16-2010, 12:48 PM

http://e3.g4tv.com/games/wii/63180/t...Sword-Preview/

This game looks amazing...like a combination of Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker..i Can't wait!

--Ace
--PSN: AceStallion
----Wavee baby!
post #183 of 257 Old 06-16-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Agreed about the big ugly HUD. I have to think that will change by the final version. Given that Nintendo games have been trending toward having most of the HUD info vanish from the screen altogether except when prompted, I have to think this was added just for the demo.
post #184 of 257 Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Joystiq has a preview up as well that was pretty informative... though probably after E3 I'll stop reading anything about the game and just wait until it comes out, like I usually do with Zelda games.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/16/pr...skyward-sword/

The one thing that really bugs me about their preview though is they're in awe of "the new radial menu" for sub-weapons. Did they even play Twilight Princess?

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #185 of 257 Old 06-16-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah i agreed about that annoying controller showing on screen. Hopefully enough people mentuion it somewhere where they read it or they get feedback from reviewers/editors or whatnot.

I guess I'll have to play TP again this year to get my fix until enxt year. I have played no zelda game (other than crossbow training) since TP's first playthrough.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
post #186 of 257 Old 06-17-2010, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I agree with some people that the graphics are a step back from TP instead of forward. People who basehed TP did it just to be annoying and they really knew it was perfect. Now that this trailer was released people are admitting how rgeat TP was.

Anyway I hope they fix the motion problems. How can it still be clunky ater 5 years of dev?

Got Zelda
post #187 of 257 Old 06-17-2010, 07:24 AM

Liked: 11
Clunky? Where did you read that is was clunky? IGN, Gamespot, and Joystiq have all said the controls are good and entertaining.

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
post #188 of 257 Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

I think I agree with some people that the graphics are a step back from TP instead of forward. People who basehed TP did it just to be annoying and they really knew it was perfect. Now that this trailer was released people are admitting how rgeat TP was.

I thought that TP looked bad the day it came out and I am sure it looks very dated now. All smudgy browns and what not. Wind Waker looks less dated...
post #189 of 257 Old 06-17-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

wind waker kind of makes me sick with its colors i think. i thought TP looked good.

overwilhelmed, in one of those preview links posted in here it said they tried it firsthand to be sure if the controls really worked well and they said they didn't work well at all such as him having his sword pointed one direction and on screen it was a different direction.

Got Zelda
post #190 of 257 Old 06-17-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwilhelmed View Post

Clunky? Where did you read that is was clunky? IGN, Gamespot, and Joystiq have all said the controls are good and entertaining.

Listen to the GIant bombcast and it is also clear from Nintendos own Demo that they could not get the controllers running properly.

The issue seemed to be resolved once the demo stations were up though.

post #191 of 257 Old 06-18-2010, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not according to one of those previews above. I read it and it said they tried it themselves and the sword wasn't moving properly.

Got Zelda
post #192 of 257 Old 06-18-2010, 07:01 AM

I saw the demo at the press conference and yes that was an epic fail. However it was due to IR interference and was evident that something was messing with the signal. If I had access to any video game website here at work I would provide multiple links that state the controls work very well. If you have access go to IGN, Gamespot, or Joystiq and view their "preview" or "hands on" of the game. You will read that the demo works very well in contrast to what was demoed at the press conference.

I didn't read Giant Bomb's hands on with the game and I will check that out later tonight. It surprises me to hear that the controls don't work while Gamespot, who is often extremely critical, said the controls work well. If you could copy and past the article and link I would greatly appreciate it. Either way, I think it is safe to say that if the control worked well for everyone except a small percentage then we will be happy with the game.

post #193 of 257 Old 06-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Kombo put some vids up- looks pretty tight to me, and it'll only get better from here knowing Ninty.

Watching a couple of these demos reminds me that the art style is as close as we'll get to playing a game painted with pastels AND (spoiler alert) at 2:57 they show a new overhead birds-eye map...

Valkyria Chronicles, anyone?

Glad to see they went this direction, let's just hope the gameplay is as innovative and uses the creative wave they've got going here...

[EDIT] Even better demo here: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...skyward/700266

Other thoughts:
  • Anyone else think the music is still quite midi sounding? Even the trailer wasn't full orchestral, it was synth-y as well. I'm sure they've got time to fix that... right?

And I'm now 100% certain link will fly in this game.
  • No sign of Epona, need some way to traverse the overworld
  • Master Sword hilt looks suspiciously winged, more so than earlier Zeldas
  • "Zelda" logo is obviously in front of wings, some kind of bird or dragon
  • Link leaps off a cliff in the trailer, sword on his back

• And, well, it's called SKYward Sword. Hello, McFly? Hello? I totally missed that during the conference.

So I'm guessing that the sword is a girl as theorized from the first teaser art, she's the Midna/Navi of this game and when she/it is strapped to Link's back he can take flight.

I'm also pumped that MAYBE the wings on the logo (bird, dragon, phoenix, whatever) are alluding to the antagonist. A massive battle, flying in the air to defeat a dragon would rock. Hard.
post #194 of 257 Old 06-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

And I'm now 100% certain link will fly in this game.

Bwaa ha ha! I'm so far behind the internets... Nintendo's confirmed as much at the developer conference

Quote:
# Posted 6:41 PST Eiji Aonuma talking now.
# Posted 6:41 PST He is going to talk about the game's story.
# Posted 6:43 PST He said the scene this morning showing Link diving off a cliff into a bank of clouds was meant to be impactful because it was an important event in the story.
# Posted 6:44 PST In this Zelda, Link is
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
a little boy born into a land above the clouds called Skyloft.
# Posted 6:44 PST One day, he learns there is a land below the clouds ruled by evil forces.
# Posted 6:46 PST However, the revelation prompts a series of events which forces him to go to the land beneath the clouds.
# Posted 6:46 PST The reason he goes down is in the title-it's the Skyward Sword.
# Posted 6:46 PST The sword possesses intelligence, and will assume the semi-human form in the teaser poster shown last year.

# Posted 6:46 PST It's the master sword.

Still want a massive air battle
post #195 of 257 Old 06-18-2010, 12:15 PM

Hate to harp on the controls aspect but here is another quote from Infendo supporting the controls accuracy:

"When I first started the demo, I have to say I had some doubts about it since Miyamoto’s attempt to play failed so horribly on stage. However, when I got the controller in my hands I have to say that the games MotionPlus control of the sword worked fantastically."

post #196 of 257 Old 06-18-2010, 01:01 PM

i thought it was funny how the guy at E3 was having a hard time controlling it...lol it didnt follow his movements as well as he wouldve liked it too

--Ace
--PSN: AceStallion
----Wavee baby!
post #197 of 257 Old 06-18-2010, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

Not according to one of those previews above. I read it and it said they tried it themselves and the sword wasn't moving properly.

To me it sounded like their complaint wasn't that it wasn't moving properly, but that the position of the sword in Link's hands didn't always align with the position of their hands in real life.

And that's just a limitation of the Wii's control design right there. The game has to make an educated guess on where the player's hands and body are in relation to the Wii's sensor bar.

All the Wiimote has to go off of is those IR lights on the sensor bar to base the position of the player's hands and Wiimote off of. And it isn't going to be perfect 100% of the time as a result. Especially with players standing up, being at different distances to the screen, and moving around a bit as they're standing at a demo station at E3.

We're promised 1:1 motion, not perfection. If you move your hand upwards a bit or tilt it, the sword is going to react accordingly on the screen. But Link's hands and the position of the sword aren't necessarily going to align 100% of the time with where your hand and Wiimote is. It just can't.

Everything I've read indicates that the motion is just fine.
post #198 of 257 Old 06-18-2010, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TP motions were fine by me already anyway. I just don't want something that isn't responsive. i would rather have TP controls if it's going to be something with weird lag or whatnot.

Got Zelda
post #199 of 257 Old 06-20-2010, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1099184p1.html

Not really much in this itnerview other than the comment that this game will only have link as a righty and that the OoT remake won't be just a port. And that MAYBE this game will have an orchestral soundtrack to it.

How they sat there asking him all those questions and didn't even ask for a general release date idea, I don't know.

Got Zelda
post #200 of 257 Old 06-20-2010, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Because they know they've already said 2011 and they know they're not going to get a more specific answer then that. The producer has already said he doesn't want to be pinned down by a specific date.
post #201 of 257 Old 06-20-2010, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool. When they say that it means they'll say next year the date ahs eben moved to 2012. This better be out before the world ends at the end of 2012.

Got Zelda
post #202 of 257 Old 08-02-2010, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nobody mentioned this, so I didn't know until i randomly found it just now:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/110/1106230p1.html

They plan to release Skyward Sword in EARLY 2011 rather than holiday 2011.

Got Zelda
post #203 of 257 Old 08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Honestly, it's too late, the Wii is done in my eyes. 2011 or 2015, i just don't care. There have been far too few games worth buying on it, the graphics looked dated when new, and now they are just silly at this point. Other systems are coming out with motion controllers, and they have 5.1 and HDTV. We are getting to the point now where even the 360 is starting to look and feel dated for some time now. I realize there are more important things then eye candy, but after watching e3, this game just looked tedious to play, old to look at, and bottom line is that it should have been out 2 years ago along with a bunch of other big N titles we wanted and expected but never came.

Appreciate the effort, but too little too late. As soon as the woman forgets about wii bowling, this sorry excuse for a console is sold. In my 30+ yrs of gaming this is one of the biggest waste of money I ever had.
post #204 of 257 Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
do we have to get one of these posts every couple weeks?

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #205 of 257 Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

Honestly, it's too late, the Wii is done in my eyes. 2011 or 2015, i just don't care.

newfmp3

I honestly don't know why you are even posting in the wii forums. We get it, you dont like it, you are stuck on good graphics only (my opinion). Everyone that has a wii understands that the graphics are not going to come close to a ps3, but that doesnt mean there are no games to play. There are some really fun, different, fantastic games. Do you not find it odd that these unbelievably better consoles are trying to copy wii motion controls? Once again we get it, you don't like wii, so don't bother telling us how bad it is.

Later
tank3467
post #206 of 257 Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Other than this game I can't think of much I was expecting in the way of big N titles whichw eren't released, so not sure what you mean there. Yes this game should have beeen out 1-2 years ago in my opinion, but otherwise they've released games quick. For some reason they released a second Galaxy game before this. That's 2 Galaxy games they made AFTER the first zelda one and still a year after the second one before we get the enxt zelda. I just hope it means it is one great game to have taken this long.

Got Zelda
post #207 of 257 Old 08-05-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

For some reason they released a second Galaxy game before this. That's 2 Galaxy games they made AFTER the first zelda one and still a year after the second one before we get the enxt zelda.

I don't think Nintendo works on an alternating schedule or anything. We got a bunch of Zelda games between Mario 64 and Sunshine, for example.
post #208 of 257 Old 08-05-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wish they would stop making mario games and work twice as hard on zelda. I haven't liked a mario game since super mario world. I stillhaven't played my copy of new super mario bros. or the wii paper mario game though.

Got Zelda
post #209 of 257 Old 08-05-2010, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a good half of the Mario platformers on the Wii (If you decide to include Super Paper Mario as one due to it's platforming elements). How do you know you don't like them if you haven't even played them?

Have you even played Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2?

Edit

Quote:

Well on SMG what's so good about it? All i did was play at the beginning and it wasn't interesting to me. Same with mario 64. i played barely any of that game.

Quote:

Well with galaxy something just felt weird. But I only played like an hour before feeling uninterested.

Quote:

I still don't understand that. I can't even play 1 level of it because I got bored. I still own it and haven't eben able to play it. (the original)

Quote:

No. I still haven't got through a level on the first galaxy game.

Quote:

I see IGN gave this a 10. I don't need to play to know it was overrated because I could only play the original mario galaxy for 30 minutes and then never played it again

Quote:

Yes I meant I didn't like the first one, but all I did was play a few minutes on it. It would help if I had a better idea of what type of game it ends up being.

Quote:

But personally I've disliked all 3D mario games and think they should stick with 2D for mario and 3D for zelda.

I really don't see how you can dislike 3d Mario titles (And NSMB Wii and Super Paper Mario) when you've apparantly spent more time typing how you dislike them at AVS then ever playing them.

Quote:

This is still one of my "haven't played it yet" games just sitting on the shelf here. In fact I never even played my paper mario games! I really need to feel better and play some of these games.

Hope you feel better soon! I think it took me about 30-40 stars when I finally played Super Mario 64 in 2002 or so to get hooked and then I fell in love (Waited for years for a price drop from $40 and it never came). I wouldn't be surprised to find you really enjoy modern Mario platformers someday. They certainly haven't rivaled Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros. 3 in my opinion, but they've still been some amazing games.
post #210 of 257 Old 08-05-2010, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm sure I will like the platformer oens when I play them, but not so sure I would like the 3d mario games. And it sucks I'm not into them because I LOVED SMB, SMB2, SMB3, and SMW. I remember playing SMB3 in a mall arcade before it was released for the NES and I watched that wizard movie and was so into all the nintendo stuff and mairo back then.

Got Zelda
Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page