AVS Forum banner

Getting a Wii Through a 15ft Conduit

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Eyeless Blond 
#1 ·
Looks like I've run into a bit of a configuration problem. I have a decent sized HDTV mounted on a wall, and a ~15 foot conduit leading through the walls to my entertainment center. So far everything has worked out well, but now I have a Wii that I want to hook up through the conduit, and that's a problem because the longest component cable I can find is ~10 feet.

What should I do here? The cheap route would naturally be to splice or otherwise connect together a longer cable; would that lead to quality issues? I'm not sure about spending $100 on a component->HDMI converter, as it doesn't seem worth it for just the Wii, and all my other electronics handle HDMI to one degree or another.

#2 ·
I advocate monoprice.com or bluejeanscables.com for all of your cabling needs. Properly sized and constructed wires over 15-25' will not effect the signal in any visual or audible way. Good Luck.

Edit: you will need something called barrel connectors for RCA plugs, use your original Wii cable -> barrel connector -> ~6' RCA cable -> Receiver

#4 ·
You can even get away with semi-shoddy cabling for 480i/p component over a 15ft run. The bandwidth required is low (comparably). Mind you I have heard of poor Wii picture quality with 3rd party component cables, so YMMV.

What else do you have running from your entertainment center to your HDTV? Composite? S-video? DVI? HDMI? Do you have a receiver that switches component? How about getting one that converts analog to HDMI, and then you'd only have to run one HDMI cable to your projector.

Of course, monoprice with barrel connectors would be your cheapest option. Very affordable to even try as an experiment...

#5 ·
My cables are mostly HDMI. I've got an Xbox 360, an upconverting DVD player, and a Verizon set top box in addition to the Wii sitting in the wall cabinet. All are on HDMI except the Wii. The TV monitor only has two HDMI inputs; at the moment I've got the DVD unplugged, but I suppose a more permanent solution would be better.

I noticed this component->HDMI scalar: -- URL FORCED TO BE REMOVED --, and this hdmi switch: -- URL FORCED TO BE REMOVED --. All told, that'll set me back over $200, and I'm a little worried about the power draw and space requirements of all that hardware, ugh, and probably I'll need to get one of those expensive universal remotes.

Seems like a lot to pay to get everything to talk to each other.

#6 ·
After reading the subject, I wasn't too confident you'd be able to fit a Wii through a 15' conduit..

I have personally used this component coupler to extend the length of a component cable, and noticed no signal degradation. The Wii should be fine, especially since it's just 480p.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Matt

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgaming42 /forum/post/16889491

You can even get away with semi-shoddy cabling for 480i/p component over a 15ft run. The bandwidth required is low (comparably). Mind you I have heard of poor Wii picture quality with 3rd party component cables, so YMMV.

What else do you have running from your entertainment center to your HDTV? Composite? S-video? DVI? HDMI? Do you have a receiver that switches component? How about getting one that converts analog to HDMI, and then you'd only have to run one HDMI cable to your projector.

Of course, monoprice with barrel connectors would be your cheapest option. Very affordable to even try as an experiment...

I can vouch for Monoprice's own Wii component set. Excellent quality - as good as the "real thing" for sure. These cables & a component coupler from them have worked very well.

edit: the Monoprice coupler oktoberrust11 linked you to below is what I have. Best $0.38 I've ever spent!
This & another 10-15 feet of quality component from them (as well as L/R audio & a coupler for it, I assume) should do you fine. And it'll be cheap.

#8 ·
Success! The component cable + extension worked great (though a little effort had to go into forcing that large Wii connector piece through the conduit).

Okay, one last question: where do you all go to buy batteries for all your remotes? My rechargeables are getting up there in years, and I'm looking for a new set of cheap AAs and AAAs. Are there any decent places to get stuff like that online, or should I just pick up a pack from Costco?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.