Guitar Hero : Van Halen - Page 3 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Home Theater Gaming > Nintendo > Guitar Hero : Van Halen

Nintendo

BASHERS33's Avatar BASHERS33
08:19 AM Liked: 10
post #61 of 88
11-06-2009 | Posts: 4,179
Wow I was just calmly making my way through Jump which I wasily passed the first time on the other disc and now I somehow failed it. lol I was hitting those tapped notes 2/3 through the song pretty good, but not good enough apparently. I wonder if I used star power on them last time or if I just did better hitting them.

Anyway i disagree that this game sucks. But it just doesn't have too good of variety in charting. The songs are great songs themselves though and a few fun to play, but not too many so far.
jwebb1970's Avatar jwebb1970
09:16 AM Liked: 35
post #62 of 88
11-06-2009 | Posts: 8,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

You always talk up van halen though so even a 7.5 is low from you. And when are you going to like Boston?

Well I got my game and it works. So it was definitely the other disc. I guess when I tripped and knocked the wii down it damaged the disc itself. And now the annoying thing is I just tripped AGAIN, but luckily didn't knock it over. I am using a wired connection and so I keep tripping over the stupid cable.

My personal score has more to do w/ the game being "last year's model" than the content. If it were GH: (insert some other 70s/80s rock band....say...BOSTON!!!!), it'd be much lower a score from me.

A "7.5" game for free however, is always welcome. The fact that is has a bunch of classic VH tunes is even better. But this is my least played music game.
09:27 AM Liked: 10
post #63 of 88
11-06-2009 | Posts: 4,179
That proves you don't like van halen as much as current gnr I suppose.
01:36 PM Liked: 10
post #64 of 88
11-08-2009 | Posts: 4,179
Well I am back to 40% done with the game. So almost where I was when I broke the original disc. Except I probably played a few different songs this time.

It's funny jwebb claims to be a big VH fan and yet I am the one loving the game and he is not playing it.

Also it's very obvious the audio is better in this game than in GH5.
kinglerxt's Avatar kinglerxt
06:28 PM Liked: 10
post #65 of 88
11-08-2009 | Posts: 924
Maybe stop the dancing around and jumping up and down and acting like a rock start while playing will help ;P

Quote:

Well I got my game and it works. So it was definitely the other disc. I guess when I tripped and knocked the wii down it damaged the disc itself. And now the annoying thing is I just tripped AGAIN, but luckily didn't knock it over. I am using a wired connection and so I keep tripping over the stupid cable.

10:15 AM Liked: 10
post #66 of 88
11-09-2009 | Posts: 4,179
lol I actually broke it by simply walking across the room and tripping on a cord for a wired connection. I actually usually sit down when playing. If I do start jumping around I bet I would break my whole wii now. lol
04:45 PM Liked: 10
post #67 of 88
11-11-2009 | Posts: 4,179
So funny that I like this game more and mroe and think these are some great songs and the resident van halen fan doesn't like the game. lol So weird. I guess if a game came out with only new gnr songs jwebb would be the one playing it all the time.
08:43 AM Liked: 35
post #68 of 88
11-12-2009 | Posts: 8,352
Quote:

So funny that I like this game more and mroe and think these are some great songs and the resident van halen fan doesn't like the game. lol So weird. I guess if a game came out with only new gnr songs jwebb would be the one playing it all the time.

OK - I like the game, do not LOVE it. Glad it was free - it is NOT anywhere near a $50 title & I am guessing this one's likely gonna tank once it hits retail next month. I hope that they eventually allow export of this to GH5/BandHero - at the least, the VH tracks. Plus, that'd open up drums for me, the one instrument I can't play in this right now.

No, the VH tunes are a total blast as are a few of the others. However, the GAME (not the music) is a giant step backwards from GH5/BandHero as well as TB:RB....even Wii RB2. None of the modern touches the current batch of GH games have are here. At best, it's GH:Metallica w/ a VH skin.
09:49 AM Liked: 10
post #69 of 88
11-12-2009 | Posts: 4,179
But you need to make your mind up. In RB2 when I complained about lack of features you insisted you only care about the music and charting. Now when a game with one of your favorite bands is in it and thus you love the music AND the charting is the same as if it were in GH5 anyway, you say oh now features are all that matters instead of the music.

To many it would be worth $50 more than GH5. GH5 ahs good features (I guess... I havent even USED any of them at all so how important could they be if I'm not tempted to use them?) and has worse songs overall. And I am only stuck on 4 songs on GH5 yet have more songs than that giving me trouble on GH:VH. So anyone wanting the more difficult game would more wisely spend their $50 on this than $60 on GH5.

Also if GH:VH tanks it would be no surprise because anyone interested in VH already got the game for FREE so who would then buy it later unless it was people living under rocks? So of course the numbers will suck. I'm sure you will compare it to the beatles sales, but if so then add in everyone who got the free disc also in your numbers.
09:58 AM Liked: 35
post #70 of 88
11-12-2009 | Posts: 8,352
I don't NEED to do anything to appease or somehow justify your bizarre, wacky opinions or posts.

My opinions are just that....MINE. Why do you care what I think about a game?
08:38 PM Liked: 10
post #71 of 88
11-12-2009 | Posts: 4,179
I don't care. Just pointing out you change your criteria apparently.

Anyway now I have passed every song through the painkiller gig EXCEPT painkiller and master exploder. I then have 10 VH songs left after that point. So I'm down to 12 songs, but that's a lot to be challenging as compared to other music games. And also that's not including the several I have passed which were challenging also such as ice cream man and some others by VH and other groups.
06:23 PM Liked: 10
post #72 of 88
11-23-2009 | Posts: 4,179
Gotta love when this happens. On White Wedding expert bass I hit 1187 of 1189. How fun to have that many notes and miss 2. lol And neither was a hard situation. I nailed any tricky part. One was because I used my star power and accidentally forgot where my finger was and hit the wrong note. And I recovered fast as it was a whole long strip and I only missed the first note of it. Then the other note I missed was in the middle of a long strip later in the song.

Sigh.
08:04 PM Liked: 10
post #73 of 88
11-25-2009 | Posts: 4,179
Ha. I just played Painkiller one xpert bass, hit 96% of notes, and only 3 starred it and it was nowhere close to 4 stars either. lol Not too often a 96% gets you a 3 star performancw. I only hit one freakin star power phrase so could never use any.

edit: I've never quite finished expert any instrument 100% on any music game, but I am down to 5 songs one xpert bass for this game. I haven't tried them yet though. And several I purposely avoided since they sound as if they would be hard, so we shall see. Still no clue how jwebb doesn't like this game, but says he likes VH. :P

edit2: I finished all 5 songs on my first tries, so I have now for the first time finished ane xpert instrument in a music game (GH:VH expert bass). I failed only one song even once, unless I am forgetting maybe a second. On expert guitar i am 76% done, I think. I have quite a few songs on this game, GH:SH, RB2, GHWT, GHIII, etc swhich I still must finish to complaete guitar and bass. Have dne barely any drums or vocals on any game.
08:17 PM Liked: 10
post #74 of 88
12-08-2009 | Posts: 4,179
I'm depressed. I was missing so many notes I knew it couldn't be simply lag and then I started upstrumming and it wouldn't miss. Then I went to a menu and noticed sometimes downstrumming would go down twice instead of once.

So bottom line is my les paul is obviously screwed after only 9 months and now none are being sold new anymore. And even if I get a replacement it won't be the les paul so I am going to be stuck with a bad guitar as I don't like the GHWT guitar. I guess I should have bought two of these back when they were $20 new. Now I can't ever enjoy GH games the same anymore.
SteelTownGuy's Avatar SteelTownGuy
06:41 AM Liked: 10
post #75 of 88
12-09-2009 | Posts: 647
Quote:

...So bottom line is my les paul is obviously screwed after only 9 months and now none are being sold new anymore. And even if I get a replacement it won't be the les paul so I am going to be stuck with a bad guitar as I don't like the GHWT guitar. I guess I should have bought two of these back when they were $20 new. Now I can't ever enjoy GH games the same anymore.

I'm not a big fan of the GHWT guitar, either. See if you can get your hands on the GH5 guitar. It is much better, and, IMO, the best one out there. When I play with friends, we always fight over who gets to play with the GH5 guitar.

FYI - I've played with all of the following guitars: wired Gibson SG, Kramer Striker, Les Paul, Rock Band Fender, Rock Band 2 Fender, GHWT, Rock Band Beatles and GH5.
08:31 AM Liked: 35
post #76 of 88
12-09-2009 | Posts: 8,352
Quote:

I'm depressed. I was missing so many notes I knew it couldn't be simply lag and then I started upstrumming and it wouldn't miss. Then I went to a menu and noticed sometimes downstrumming would go down twice instead of once.

So bottom line is my les paul is obviously screwed after only 9 months and now none are being sold new anymore. And even if I get a replacement it won't be the les paul so I am going to be stuck with a bad guitar as I don't like the GHWT guitar. I guess I should have bought two of these back when they were $20 new. Now I can't ever enjoy GH games the same anymore.

Check your local Target/WalMart/BestBuy, Basher....I see GHIII Wii LesPauls at all 3 of those in my neck of the woods to this day.

Another option - get the GH5 guitar pack & sell back the game - if you ask icely, GameStop may give you a better trade deal on the game. Have seen them do such a thing before, plus GH5 is a newer game w/ a higher trade value anyway.

Did see on the GH website that they are offereing official VH "Frankenstein" faceplates for WT/5 guitars.

Or, I'd trade you my used, but very much working perfectly, LP for your WT guitar. Seriously!
10:14 AM Liked: 10
post #77 of 88
12-09-2009 | Posts: 4,179
Well if I could get them to send me a replacement then I would more likely do that trade because I would have an extra GHWT one, but I noticed on their site it says 90 day warranty so now I am probably stuck and I would hate to not have 1 GHWT one despite not liking it as much.

I thought the GH5 guitar is the exact same as the GHWT one. Apparently that's not the case?

Anyway yeah maybe I will look at Best Buy. I just know online it's not even listed as an item anymore. I found an aerosmith bundle for $65 if I want to pay $65 for that les paul and the aerosmith game. I think to me the aerosmith game would be worth only like $25 so I would be paying $40 for the guitar.

Man I wish I knew a while back how much prices would drop. I see smash hits NEW for $20 now and the aerosmith one is as cheap as that some places too. I think metallica is still pricey, but all of the older ones are cheap! And I spent that $50 on the stupid "new" smash hits in the opened display case from GS a couple months ago. Coula hve waited the couple months and then ended up with it for $30 less.

edit: They asked if I can prove I bought it within 6 months. And of course it's been 8 or 9. Sigh. They said if I can't get a replacement from them to go to this repair site they linked me to and I can repair the strum bar myself. It costs like $9 to go that route and then you have to have several tools to do it.
12:45 PM Liked: 10
post #78 of 88
Quote:

...I thought the GH5 guitar is the exact same as the GHWT one. Apparently that's not the case?...

Nope. They are around the same size and they both have a slider. The GH5's slider is digital while the GHWT's slider is analog. I'm not really sure how well that translates to easier/better play with the slider (I'm sure this was the intent) because I don't use it. So what's left then? The strum bar.

Ahh, yes. Perhaps the most important piece of the puzzle if you ask me. The GHWT's strum bar was built wider than the Les Paul it replaced. The GH5's strum bar is a bit wider than the GHWT one. I also tend to believe that each newer version improves upon its predecessor in strum bar durability.

Last but not least, the "feel" of the GH5's strum bar is what makes it a clear winner. That's not something you can easily describe, unfortunately. See if you can get your hands on one (a friend's, store display, etc) and give it a strum.

I'm not sure why it is so hard to find info online reviewing the differences between all of the rhythm game's guitars. I think a guide is sorely needed. Kind of like the days before they came out with a compatibility chart that tells you which instruments work with which games. That was a mess.

I was tempted to get the GH5 bundle for $69.99 (fair deal without the Van Halen offer I'd say) when it was on sale at Amazon last week. I know you already have the game itself and that's where it gets tricky. Buying guitars by themselves usually leads you to getting ripped off for some reason. I know you don't want to wait until GH6 comes out. Maybe stores will start getting used ones for sale soon after Christmas. Good luck.

P.S. Anyone know if the Band Hero guitar is the same as GH5's? I would hope so (and not a GHWT).
01:54 PM Liked: 35
post #79 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

P.S. Anyone know if the Band Hero guitar is the same as GH5's? I would hope so (and not a GHWT).

BH guitar IS the GH5 guitar - right down to the same finish. Only "new" part of BH is the drumkit (which is supposedly superior to the WT one.)

IS the strumbar still "clicky" like a GH gtr or more RB like?
02:36 PM Liked: 10
post #80 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

BH guitar IS the GH5 guitar - right down to the same finish. Only "new" part of BH is the drumkit (which is supposedly superior to the WT one.)

IS the strumbar still "clicky" like a GH gtr or more RB like?

Cool. I think I may have heard once about the new BH drum kit, but I've never seen it. I wonder what makes it better? It really is too bad game review websites focus solely on the software and neglect the hardware. When you're buying a full band kit bundle, you're paying more for the hardware...you'd think you'd be more interested in its features than people seem to be.

Yes, the GH5/BH guitar still has a clicky strum bar, but it is the quietest in the Guitar Hero series thus far. Not silent, but fairly quiet. Don't mistake the lack of noise for feeling mushy at all, though. Far from it.

They'd be foolish to move to the Rock Band style non-clicky strum bar since people remain divided on what they prefer. The Rickenbacker 325 (RB Beatles) looks great with its chrome whammy bar and all, but I just don't like the non-clicky strum bar.

Edit: I just read this in a review at Amazon for the BH Bundle, "...I actually bought this for the Wii because it comes with the updated drum set. Beware if you are getting the other platforms because, at least initially, you will get the same set that was shipped with World Tour..." ??? That makes no sense to me, so I kind of doubt that is true. Anyway, has anyone noticed that the Wii versions of the latest games are more expensive than PS3/XBox360 versions? Any reason why or is it just supply/demand? Maybe higher demand for Wii now that they started accepting 32GB SDHC? I dunno.
02:54 PM Liked: 35
post #81 of 88
Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the RB strum bar for RB games, GH for GH games. I find that I do better w/ the GH guitar in GH5/BH than I do w/ an RB Strat. And the LEsPaul in the RB games works fine, but I just feel more comfortable w/ the Strat in those games.

Something about the tracking of each game & it's controllers? Who knows -maybe it's just the weed....

BH drums supposedly do not have the missing/dropped note or sensitivity issues the WT kits had. The overal re-design, while retaining the GH drum pad layout, is more like a RB kit. Better cymbals, too, apparently - I believe a re-designed kick pedal. This is all based on info members posted on the GH website forums.
04:10 PM Liked: 10
post #82 of 88
They don't have les pauls at best buy or gamestop. And stupid gamestop made me mad. There were two people ALREADY AT THE TWO REGISTERS and yet it took FOREEVR to even get up there to ask them a question. Good lord it was torture watching them be so slow. It seriously took longer than it would take to finish up with 20 customers at most stores. Pathetic.

I'm apparently just stuck never to enjoy these games again. I don't like the longer strum bars and would rather it be the les paul ones and I like the small els paul build so everything is going to suck now.

Thanks for all the detailed descriptions though.
04:48 PM Liked: 35
post #83 of 88
Quote:

They don't have les pauls at best buy or gamestop. And stupid gamestop made me mad. There were two people ALREADY AT THE TWO REGISTERS and yet it took FOREEVR to even get up there to ask them a question. Good lord it was torture watching them be so slow. It seriously took longer than it would take to finish up with 20 customers at most stores. Pathetic.

I'm apparently just stuck never to enjoy these games again. I don't like the longer strum bars and would rather it be the les paul ones and I like the small els paul build so everything is going to suck now.

Thanks for all the detailed descriptions though.

Do a Google search for "fixing broken GH guitars" - I believe there are several sites that show how to fix and/or sell replacement parts (or direct you to some available via Radio Shack) to fix busted strum bars.
05:47 PM Liked: 10
post #84 of 88
Yeah but you need certain tools I don't have.

I just found an auction on ebay with buy it now for only $22 for GH:aerosmith AND the guitar supposedly brand new, but nobody is buying them and are paying more in other auctions so I'm confused.
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar ThisOneKidMongo
05:47 PM Liked: 62
post #85 of 88
12-09-2009 | Posts: 2,646
Hey Basher, sell you my GHIII Les Paul for $40! Fine, $20, since we're such good pals. Whammy bar's loose though...
07:58 PM Liked: 10
post #86 of 88
Well now I supposedly bought 2 GH: Aerosmith bundles with shipping and everything for a combined $60. So 2 games and 2 guitars for $60. It says they're new, so assuming it's not a trick then it's a great deal as on Amazon you have to pay $60 for only 1. I would buy a lot of them if I knew for a fact it's new as it says it is.

edit: I see another I could have got for $28.50 which is the actual white one, but I didn't notice it at the time. But I guess the aerosmith one is more guaranteed to be the newest les paul model. Even if this is legit, it kind of sucks that this is now over $80 paid in extra guitars solely due to them faltering.

But see what sense does this make if it's legit? It seems they're not being bought, yet a bid of $46 is made on just one of the bundles. Justs eems odd someone would bid $46, yet someone else is selling them for much less. I did have to use verified paypal to buy it, but still I assume plenty people have that...
07:06 PM Liked: 10
post #87 of 88
12-12-2009 | Posts: 4,179
I can't find the GH3 thread, but seriously it was unbelievable how "on" I was today with my so-called broken guitar.

Remember I was always stuck for years now on "One" and "Raining Blood" on hard? I passed One my first try and Raining Blood my second try.

Next I went into expert where I was stuck on a song in tier 6. Now I've already forgotten which one. Anyway i passed it my FIRST try today also then I passed pride and joy on my FIRST try, then I passed 2 songs in tier 7 on my FIRST tries (including knights of cydonia and 4's and 7's) and another of them on my second or third try.

So now I am stuck on "before I forget". There is one song from multiplayer I haven't pased and a few "bonus songs" and then this song and the final tier.

It's amazing how suddenly I can nail everything on that game when I went a LONG time failing them all. Maybe these other games prepared me, but that kind of makes no sense since GH3 is considered the hardest of the guitar games.

On Before I Forget I got to 78%. I thought I came up with a great plan to get through that section, but it's just flat too fast for me to hit enough to get past it. I think I almost made it twice though...
11:01 PM Liked: 10
post #88 of 88
12-13-2009 | Posts: 4,179
I had magic fingers again tonight, so I passed ALL non-VH songs on this game (the only two left had been painkiller and master exploder and I took care of those) and I passed more difficult VH songs. All I have left now are 3 true "songs" and 2 solos. I got to 69% on spanish fly before failing.

Reply Nintendo

Subscribe to this Thread