Muramasa: The Demon Blade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Don't suppose anyone's picked this up? Seems like one of those quality under-the-radar releases destined for cult-hit status at best. I only recently heard about it myself, but it's a 2D "Metroidvania"-type game (exploration-based action/RPG) with really friggin' pretty hand-drawn graphics. From what I surmise, you run around killing the **** out of demons with blades. Up to 108 blades, in fact.

For those that care about that sort of thing, IGN gave it an 8.9 and Famitsu gave it a 34/40. The only complaints were that it can get pretty difficult and that traversing between areas can get more tedious than it should.

I'm attempting to trade for this game right now on GameTZ, but it seems pretty rare. Unfortunately I'm sure this is the type of game that will fall to $20-30 soon enough, at which point people will complain that it's still too expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hmmm... never heard of this one, but the art style is awesome. The only vid I looked at made it seems very arcade-scroller-actiony gamey, which is great by me, I'm a documented huge fan of almost anything arcade.

And FWIW, Metroidvania is now officially my favorite word. There's absolutely no better description for that kind of game!

-vdz
post #3 of 20 Old 09-08-2009, 06:04 PM

Liked: 10
The videos online look pretty good. The graphic styling looks very interesting and it looks like a real throwback title. I hope that the action isn't completely dependent on combos though. The first few times you pull off a 100+ hit combo complete with double jumps and mid-air spell casting will undoubtedly be awesome. However, I can see it getting a bit old after a while. I don't know if I'll buy at full retail, but I will definitely give it a rental. I'm interested.

On an unrelated side note: I wish the Wii would get some of the remastered Capcom remakes like Bionic Commando and 1943. They could even call it something like the Capcom Wii-mastered Series. *facepalm* Or not.

TWW resident bullet sponge
PSN: ThreeWulfMoon
post #4 of 20 Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I really want it. Ever since IGN started plugging this back in the day I wanted it hardcore.

Just paid off some debts, might try trading in a few now-unplayed titles like MadWorld and Deadly Creatures to pick this up.

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #5 of 20 Old 09-14-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Thinking rental first, but this does look like a cool title - and definite eye candy if nothing else.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #6 of 20 Old 09-14-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I really want to get it, but the flood is coming out. Just got Metroid Trilogy and Batman Arkham Asylum. Scribblenauts comes out tomorrow and Halo is next week. I will pick it up, though...but I'm not sure exactly when, yet.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
After beating this game backwards, forwards and every which way, I wholeheartedly recommend it. For those that own a 360, the gameplay is very similar to The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai. If you are at all a fan of old school 2D gameplay, you owe it to yourself to play this game.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-12-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Picked it up this weekend finally.

In love...but it makes my poor right wrist rather sore.

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #9 of 20 Old 10-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

Picked it up this weekend finally.

In love...but it makes my poor right wrist rather sore.

[obligatory joke withheld at risk of account termination]

-vdz
post #10 of 20 Old 10-13-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Picking this up tonight, hopefully, as part of the TRU sale.
post #11 of 20 Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I tried this for a little bit at a friend's place earlier... one thing that drives me crazy about it is that on the classic controller, most of the buttons are barely used. I mean, first of all, I hate games that make you press up to jump, rather than a button. Maybe it makes sense in this game when you're controlling in the nunchuk setup, but definitely not on the classic controller. B should be jump, and Y should be attack there.

Now that I've got that out of the way, I'll probably be buying this at some point anyway - it's too bad I've got such a backlog of great games as it is. I knew absolutely nothing about this game other than it came highly recommended both here and by my friend, but the art blew me away when I saw it for myself. I'm really loving the resurgence of hand-drawn 2D art on the Wii. I only played it for a couple minutes, but it seemed to have enough substance to be worth the money as well.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #12 of 20 Old 10-21-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Played through both Kisuke and Momohime on Shura, now working through the extra blades.

Chris Schempp

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #13 of 20 Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I tried this for a little bit at a friend's place earlier... one thing that drives me crazy about it is that on the classic controller, most of the buttons are barely used. I mean, first of all, I hate games that make you press up to jump, rather than a button. Maybe it makes sense in this game when you're controlling in the nunchuk setup, but definitely not on the classic controller. B should be jump, and Y should be attack there.

It sounds sick, but this is honestly what tossed this game off my buy-immediately list. A game like this has to control comfortably, and I've always, always hated games where you have to press up to jump. Like jhoff says, it makes even less sense when there are so many unused buttons.

I've put off A Boy and His Blob for similar reasons. After Scribblenauts, I've had less patience than ever for elementary control-related issues marring what should have been 100% awesome games.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-21-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you press up on the control pad when playing this w/ a sideways Wiimote, NES style or is it one of the 1/2 buttons?

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #15 of 20 Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

It sounds sick, but this is honestly what tossed this game off my buy-immediately list. A game like this has to control comfortably, and I've always, always hated games where you have to press up to jump. Like jhoff says, it makes even less sense when there are so many unused buttons.

I've put off A Boy and His Blob for similar reasons. After Scribblenauts, I've had less patience than ever for elementary control-related issues marring what should have been 100% awesome games.

Playing with the Nunchuk and Wiimote, this feels 110% natural. I also dislike up for jump, but it works so perfectly in this game when you don't play with the classic controller.

I imagine with the classic controller, I'd hate the game, but I love it w/ a nunchuk

Chris Schempp

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #16 of 20 Old 10-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I generally don't like up for jump, but it works perfectly in this game. In the context of the game, you push left and right to go left or right. Pushing up makes you jump and pushing down while in the air makes you fall to the ground much faster (a quick tap down to jump down from platforms). Down left or down right makes you roll if you are on the ground. It kind of makes sense to integrate jumping into the d-pad/analog stick since all of the rest of your movement in controlled there. In short order it all feels natural.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperron View Post

It kind of makes sense to integrate jumping into the d-pad/analog stick since all of the rest of your movement in controlled there. In short order it all feels natural.

Well I mean, doesn't every game like this relegate all movement to the analog stick/dpad? Except of course, jump, which is usually a button.

Not trying to molehill->mountain this, just a pet peeve of mine. There are people who DON'T turn off "tap jump" in Smash Brothers Brawl, too. Bleah!
post #18 of 20 Old 11-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Looks pretty cool guys. Cheers.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #19 of 20 Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperron View Post

I generally don't like up for jump, but it works perfectly in this game. In the context of the game, you push left and right to go left or right. Pushing up makes you jump and pushing down while in the air makes you fall to the ground much faster (a quick tap down to jump down from platforms). Down left or down right makes you roll if you are on the ground. It kind of makes sense to integrate jumping into the d-pad/analog stick since all of the rest of your movement in controlled there. In short order it all feels natural.

I was also annoyed at first that there was no jump button, but by the end of my first ending as Momohime, the control felt excellent. I was playing with the japanese Super Famicom controller, and the action felt like the good old SNES days, with nicer graphics, of course
post #20 of 20 Old 07-19-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Picked this up over the weekend as part of a GameStop "buy 2, get 1 free" (+ a gift card) used deal along w/ Boom Blox Bash Party & Sin & Punishment: Star Successor.

1 - often GORGEOUS to look at.

2- Mongo's "Metroidvania" description is perfect. Sums up what this one is all about.

3- Using Wiimote+nunchuk, the "up for jump" command feels downright natural, esp when you hold up to get slow gliding descent.

This one looks to be a nice distraction for a long time, based on the apparent wealth of content.

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page