Exercise game suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 10-05-2009, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After waiting on the sidelines for some time now, I finally bought a Wii. The wife has been wanting one of these for awhile for exercises. She's still trying to lose a few pounds post-pregnancy and we thought this might do the trick. I'd probably be better off losing about 10 pounds, myself.

The games we're considering are Wii Fit Plus, EA Sports Active and DDR Hottest Party 2. What do you guys think? Are there any other games I should put on the list?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
EA Sports Active seems to be the consensus around here for the most effective exercise game, though it's worth noting there's at least one guy on here who lost something like 50 pounds from Wii Fit.

In my experience, DDR isn't all that great for losing weight unless maybe you're REALLY into it and have no qualms about playing it over and over and over again for long sessions quite a bit. The other exercise games you mentioned have a lot more variety.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-05-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
My wife still uses Wii FIt semi religiously, although it is more a part of her overall workout regimen (most of which does not involve using a game console). Fit tends to be for her "easy" days as well as how she tracks weight loss. And the balance games often get the kids involved too.

Am picking up a copy of Fit Plus for her today. Will post her opinions/observations soon.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #4 of 21 Old 10-05-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
EA Sports Active gives you a decent work-out on the easy level and gives you good results on the harder levels.

Another Wii game that will make you sweat and gives you a good cardio-vascular work-out is Gold's Gym Cardio Workout. It's basically a boxing work-out so you're doing foot-work and throwing punches during the exercises, but it really gets the heartbeat up. There are also some exercises that use the Wii Fit Board included in the program which aren't boxing related.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-05-2009, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My wife wants to know if anyone has tried the Jillian of Biggest Loser software?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #6 of 21 Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 PM

IMO the wii should only be used a secondary or tertiary method of exercise. Instead of wasting your time with a video game, turn off the tv and do some real cardio 30min 3-4 times a week combined with resistance training and a balanced diet.

PSN: moosemeister
XBOXlive: beilzebub
post #7 of 21 Old 10-06-2009, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeiler View Post

IMO the wii should only be used a secondary or tertiary method of exercise. Instead of wasting your time with a video game, turn off the tv and do some real cardio 30min 3-4 times a week combined with resistance training and a balanced diet.

I get where you are coming from. Everyone's circumstances are different, of course. In our case, we've got a newborn to take care of and no extended family living within hundreds of miles. I don't know how single parents do it on their own without any family.

Anyway, I guess it's a lot like the dentist telling you that you really should be flossing 3 times a day. That's great if you can do it. For the rest of us, every once in awhile is certainly better than nothing.

If we do succeed in losing weight and keep it off doing nothing but Wii exercise games, that should serve as a decent product endorsement I would think. I suspect the key to this will be if the games can keep us motivated. Gym memberships in the past have not. We'll see...
post #8 of 21 Old 10-06-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

My wife wants to know if anyone has tried the Jillian of Biggest Loser software?

There is a new 2010 version that is supposed to be "improved".

There are light years of space that could take up the "improvements". The 09 Jillian Michaels title was garbage. Exercises did not track motions well at all - sometimes completely unresponsive.

That said, hold out for reviews on JM 2010, but I think you'd be better off (if you gotta have a Wii game to exercise with) to go wth Wii Fit Plus & especially EA Active.

OTOH, if you want something to use involving Jillian Michaels, the wife dropped 2 dress sizes & has...well..gotten smokin' hot using several of the "Biggest Loser" DVDs where Michaels & "Bob" put you thru the paces bigtime.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #9 of 21 Old 10-06-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Which DVDs did your wife use?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #10 of 21 Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

Which DVDs did your wife use?

DOES use.

She alternates between the following BIGGEST LOSER DVDs:

Boot Camp
Weight Loss Yoga
Power Sculpt
Cardio Max

All 4 feature "Bob" from the show, 2 also have Jillian M and another trainer from the show (muscular blond female-name escapes me). These coupled w/ Wii Fit, used 5-6 times a week have done the missus wonders.

I saw on IGN today that THQ has a BIGGEST LOSER Wii workout game that came out this week.

post #11 of 21 Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

The 09 Jillian Michaels title was garbage.

Totally agree. Don't waste your money or time finding out how bad this title is.

Does the new Wii Fit Plus use the Motion Plus controller? I might want to check it out if it does.
post #12 of 21 Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 AM

Liked: 93
Wii Fit Plus and Gold's Gym Cardio Workout. Cardio Workout is actually a funky Japanese boxing game that has been rebranded with some Gold's Gym logos slapped all over the place. Thing is, it's really good.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Totally agree. Don't waste your money or time finding out how bad this title is.

The one good thing about our brief Jillian Michaels 09 experience? Sold it to GameStop for nearly what I paid for it @ BestBuy on sale. Apparently the steady stream of suckers buying that game has not diminished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Does the new Wii Fit Plus use the Motion Plus controller? I might want to check it out if it does.

No M+ support in Fit Plus. Only section I think it may feel like it is missed is in the Driving Range game. However, that activity is focused more on your balance/center of gravity as well as proper follow-thru of a golf swing (via Balance Board) than it is about Resort/Tiger Woods-type accuracy.

Even without M+, if you used & enjoyed Wii Fit, Fit Plus gives you all the same content plus more, along with the ability to use preset or your own custom workout routines. You also get a handy on-screen calorie burn counter.

As well as pet weigh-ins, of course!

And it's only $20 (or a couple $$ less right now if you get it @ Costco).

post #14 of 21 Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just saw the EA Sports Active expansion is due out on November 17th. Has anyone heard any details about it yet? I wonder how many new exercises it will include. Preorder price on amazon is $37 (vs. $50 for the original title), so I'd assume it'll have less activities.

The Biggest Loser (also $37) is getting good early reviews (i.e. "very responsive" "great feedback" etc.). The balance board can be used in 66 out of 88 exercises including squats, lunges and knee lifts. I'm not really a fan of the show (I have seen it a few times), but who cares if the workout is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

...Fit Plus gives you all the same content plus more, along with the ability to use preset or your own custom workout routines. You also get a handy on-screen calorie burn counter.

As well as pet weigh-ins, of course!

Pet weigh-ins? Is that a joke? I've actually been wanting a more accurate scale than the one in my bathroom. Picking up my pet and subtracting my own weight doesn't work too well. Same thing when I try to get a weight estimate for my baby on the months when she does not have a check-up. So many kids toys, as well as car seats and diaper sizes, go by weight, so it would be great to know (for sure).
post #15 of 21 Old 10-08-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Nope, that pet weigh-in thing is not a joke. There'll be graphics of your Mii holding a dog/cat and everything.
post #16 of 21 Old 10-08-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Nope, that pet weigh-in thing is not a joke. There'll be graphics of your Mii holding a dog/cat and everything.

Haven't tried, but I think your "other" pets (ie - offspring) can also be done with this method.

post #17 of 21 Old 10-08-2009, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow. What's next? They have you input your breed of dog/cat and it tells you whether the pet is overweight? One of my cats would probably receive a prompt, "Are you sure this isn't a dog?"

Guess I'll have to decide whether my baby should be represented by an onscreen dog or cat...hmm...
post #18 of 21 Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

...In my experience, DDR isn't all that great for losing weight unless maybe you're REALLY into it and have no qualms about playing it over and over and over again for long sessions quite a bit. The other exercise games you mentioned have a lot more variety.

Okay, maybe DDR will be more for fun than to lose weight. I just noticed this as part of the product description (the reason I thought I'd throw it into the discussion):
  • Cool new modes and features including the popular workout mode
By the way...I noticed the latest DDR games seem to only come bundled with a dance mat while older ones get released as software-only. Going software-only and buying the mat separately saves about $12 over the bundle, but, of course, you have to wait until the title is older.

Is this typically how DDR games usually get sold? I'm new to that genre. I just know that Guitar Hero / Rock Band games always have software-only available immediately and these games don't seem to follow that pattern (from what I can tell).
post #19 of 21 Old 10-09-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure "workout mode" is just regular DDR with a running calorie counter.

Not sure how DDR games are usually sold, sorry. I've only ever bought one myself and that came as a bundle. You could try ebay or Konami's site directly to see if you can score a bundle-less copy of the game.

Btw, perhaps I was too quick to bag on DDR's usefulness as exercise. I forgot that my mom used it for a while, before an unrelated knee injury, and claims to have dropped a few pounds on it. I guess you can file it under "better than nothing." It just doesn't burn calories fast enough for my tastes (though I can't handle the hardest, most calorie-burning difficulty), although obviously, it's more interesting than a treadmill.
post #20 of 21 Old 10-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In my experience, DDR isn't all that great for losing weight unless maybe you're REALLY into it and have no qualms about playing it over and over and over again for long sessions quite a bit. The other exercise games you mentioned have a lot more variety.

The weight loss potential for DDR isn't all that great unless you play song after song on a regular basis which can get boring with the limited track lists in both of the Wii versions. However what it really will do is increase your actual fitness level (assuming you play enough that you can regularly do songs in the 5-7 foot difficulty range).

Having said that, I wouldn't really recommend either of the Wii versions of DDR as the songs lists for the games are pretty crappy (I own both of them). If you have the PS2, I'd highly recommend getting Extreme 2 if you intend to purchase a DDR game.
post #21 of 21 Old 10-09-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperron View Post

...Having said that, I wouldn't really recommend either of the Wii versions of DDR as the songs lists for the games are pretty crappy (I own both of them). If you have the PS2, I'd highly recommend getting Extreme 2 if you intend to purchase a DDR game.

Thanks for the tip! I do have a PS2. Being that Extreme 2 is a 4 year old game, it might be a little harder to locate a good used copy...I can certainly check the bargain racks locally, too.

One thing I was hoping would be a good addition to the game was the use of the Wii mote for Hand Gestures in the Hottest Party versions. I read one review saying they didn't like them with someone else responding that they really do help in terms of a better cardio exercise.

I guess the other thing I'm a little overwhelmed by is which mat(s) to buy. With Hottest Party 2, you really don't have a choice (only the Konami original is compatible according to reviewers). I guess that could easily be viewed as a negative, but with the PS2 games, I have a ton of options and not much of a clue where to start for a decent beginner's choice.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page