AVS Forum banner

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

17K views 131 replies 38 participants last post by  jwebb1970 
#1 ·
 http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/...ard-as-contra/

No thread for this one yet?

Well, here's recent hands on where it sounds like the game is actually "hardcore" in difficulty - and the game's much ballyhooed "self play/help" function might be good to have.

#3 ·
I still haven't gotten back around to trying to make it through the true super mario bros. 2 game.

#5 ·
#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by D96 /forum/post/17320472

looking forward to this one.

I really wish they'd revive the Donkey Kong Country franchise...

I recall liking those, but then didn't get into DK 64.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/17320704

Is this where I complain about the lack of online? Seriously, I would never stop playing this if it had online multiplayer. I'm not usually one to complain about lack of online, but this game is really begging for it.

That may have been a wise move, given that your "friends" can turn on you at any moment. I wouldn't be interested in playing with strangers if some of them were getting online for the sole purpose of wrecking my progress through the game.

That said, the ability to use friend codes would have been terrific.

#10 ·
Yeah, I NEVER want to play with strangers in any game. But I mean, my PS3 gets a lot of use because I can play online with my brother three hours away. If only my Wii were afforded the same benefit...and I know a lot more people with a Wii than a PS3. There's really no excuse not to include online in this game. "Maxes out the Wii" my arse.

Still, due to the wide appeal of the game, local co-op may be easier to get together than I think. I bet a lot of people who don't usually game would be willing to give this a shot.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/17325430

Yeah, I NEVER want to play with strangers in any game. But I mean, my PS3 gets a lot of use because I can play online with my brother three hours away. If only my Wii were afforded the same benefit...and I know a lot more people with a Wii than a PS3. There's really no excuse not to include online in this game. "Maxes out the Wii" my arse.

Still, due to the wide appeal of the game, local co-op may be easier to get together than I think. I bet a lot of people who don't usually game would be willing to give this a shot.

Exactly - this is the 1st Wii multiplayer title since Kart that I see the wife playing with me as much as I will solo. Online would have been nice, but I think we'll live w/o it here.

#12 ·
I am looking forward to this game. I fell off the Mario series after Super Mario 64 because most of the Mario games didn't feel like the traditional platformer I like about the game. It was bittersweeet when NSMB came out because it had the gameplay I wanted but only came out for the DS. That was a hard game for me to get all the coins and secret levels. So this iteration looks like it will be a treat. I just hope it's not as hard as the lost levels (I can't believe they had wind in some of those final levels).

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi /forum/post/17345562

I am looking forward to this game. I fell off the Mario series after Super Mario 64 because most of the Mario games didn't feel like the traditional platformer I like about the game. It was bittersweeet when NSMB came out because it had the gameplay I wanted but only came out for the DS. That was a hard game for me to get all the coins and secret levels. So this iteration looks like it will be a treat. I just hope it's not as hard as the lost levels (I can't believe they had wind in some of those final levels).

A hands-on - I think I linked it earlier on this thread - from MTV Multiplayer.com stated that this game can be "Contra" - hard. Hence the "play by itself" option to show you the best path in tough situations.

#14 ·
This game looks awesome! I remember playing through the Lost Levels without warping and getting the bonus stages. Regular maps with water, wind, etc. Hard, but fun. I wonder if the characters play slightly differently ala Mario 2?

This looks like it would be a good time, especially in co-op. I read an article somewhere and it sounds the levels are designed to get you pissed off at your friends, even if you're playing cooperatively. I wonder how mad the missus would be if I knocked her off a moving platform? All is fair in love, war, and NSMB Wii!

#15 ·
I think all the characters control the same. That's probably part of the reason they just went with two Toads as the third and fourth characters--throw Wario or Peach in there as the other characters and it starts getting harder to justify every character controlling the same way.

I could definitely see me and my friends not advancing past the first level for an hour because we're too busy killing each other. In fact, I hope for it.

#16 ·
Any word on the controller options for this one? I'm not a fan of the wiimote on its side thing, as it becomes painful after a while.

Wavebirds would be ideal.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer&VideoGames.com /forum/post/0

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=226725

New Super Mario Bros. Wii = 9.0/10

"New Super Mario Bros. Wii doesn't try to revolutionise 2D platforming. It doesn't mess with the formula. It just does its absolute best to tickle your nostalgia gland, and does so with such incredible (and subtle) charm that it'll put a big, fat smile on your face."

Like this review - mainly because it talks up the fact of how good a single player game this is. While most hype pertains to the multiplayer aspect, these folks find that feature both cool & occasionally annoying, but it's definitely secondary to the solid 2D Mario classic solo player game this is. Starts out easy but the challege will ramp up considerably. ANd multiplayer will not get you any additional stuff in the game - every coin, power up, etc is accessible to Mario all by his lonesome.

They also state that the final boss battle is EPIC. Hmmm...

Will certainly be grabbing it next week - wonder if King Reggie's prediction of this outselling MW2 will come to pass....

#19 ·
Actually, the one negative-ish review I've read so far (from Eurogamer, which tends to grade harshly) is that it's the multiplayer that feels tacked on to an otherwise solid singleplayer experience. I don't remember specifics, but I think they cited examples like tiny platforms designed for just one character not comfortably fitting several--which of course, would be missing the point entirely.

I doubt this will defeat MW2, simply because FPS is still the genre of choice and 2D platforming's heyday was a long time ago. Plus, y'know, two systems vs one. Not that any of this matters to me in the least. I'll be doing my best to find a broken street date on Friday or Saturday.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/17503486

Actually, the one negative-ish review I've read so far (from Eurogamer, which tends to grade harshly) is that it's the multiplayer that feels tacked on to an otherwise solid singleplayer experience. I don't remember specifics, but I think they cited examples like tiny platforms designed for just one character not comfortably fitting several--which of course, would be missing the point entirely.

I doubt this will defeat MW2, simply because FPS is still the genre of choice and 2D platforming's heyday was a long time ago. Plus, y'know, two systems vs one. Not that any of this matters to me in the least. I'll be doing my best to find a broken street date on Friday or Saturday.

The wife & I are packing up the kids & heading to Disneyland Friday - so the soonest I can grab my copy - and give time for the $$ hemmorrage that the Magic Kingdon always triggers to heal a bit - sometime late next week.

I think MW2 will reign supreme this month & maybe be close thru XMAS, but I have read where some analysts think NSMBW will end up with a masssive attach rate over time, much like Kart or Wii Fit or Play. They may be right.

And if we are talking over the total life of the consoles, then Mr Fils-Aime may be on to something. I think this will surely end up another 1st party game you just automatically own if you have a Wii. And there are a lot of those Wiis out there. This is one non-Wii Fit or Kart game now or seemingly until (to a lesser extent) SMG2 or the next Zelda that calls to most every Wii owner out there.

#21 ·
I have not watched much about this game, but always figured I would want it. A 2D mario game is somethign I will surely always like. I just am less interested in the 3D ones.

#22 ·
The one thing that doesn't make sense to me that I can't remember where I read it is that you shake the remote not only to throw things (which makes sense), but also to pick things up. That one seems like it'd be something that feels weird to me. Regardless, I'm getting this as soon as possible.

Not a fan of the red box though, (though I don't know for sure that we're getting that in the US). Luckily, I store all the boxes separately and not on display, but if I had all my game boxes on display it'd bother me that it stands out like that.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/17504200

The one thing that doesn't make sense to me that I can't remember where I read it is that you shake the remote not only to throw things (which makes sense), but also to pick things up. That one seems like it'd be something that feels weird to me. Regardless, I'm getting this as soon as possible.

Not a fan of the red box though, (though I don't know for sure that we're getting that in the US). Luckily, I store all the boxes separately and not on display, but if I had all my game boxes on display it'd bother me that it stands out like that.

You mean the actual box is red, not the normal Wii white? I just assumed the cover art was mostly red. A non-issue for me - got a few black GC boxes scattered in w/ the Wii ones already. But I guess it will make the game stand out in retail.

#25 ·
#26 ·
 http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1043698p1.html

IGN Australia's review.

No number score in this review, but after reading the whole article, I imagine this is a 9 or 9.5 - level review.

A review that showered heavy prasie on the multiplayer & really finds no fault in the game at all. They love it.

Yes, Aussies did get it in a red jewel case - I'm now thinking the US version will get the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.