LEGO Rock Band VS Band Hero - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The fight for the family room begins...again.

Both Activision & HMX are unleashing "family friendly" editions of their popular Guitar Hero & Rock Band franchises next month.

In one corner - LEGO Rock Band. RB with a "kid-friendly" vibe. Less metal/hard rock, more pop hits, both current & classic. And all done up LEGO-style. Game has a fairly solid track list for what it is. On 360/PS3, several tracks will be exportable to RB2. Not on Wii, of course. And none of the versions have any online play whatsoever. 360/PS3 will see some DLC - Wii will not. Epic fail? There are some great tunes in the game, however.

In the other corner - Band Hero. Activision's version of kid/family approved rockin' is built on the GH5 engine. Those who have played the demo on XBLive state it's virtually indistinguishable from GH5, save for more "kiddie" colors (lots of bright pinks & purples). What differentiates Band Hero is...well...content & the use of it.

BH has it's own pop-skewed track list (gotta love having Mr Roboto, Kung Fu Fighting & Whip It!! FINALLY!) Of course, it has THREE Taylor Swift tracks (a 6 yr old in my house is excited). But BH has the same online modes as GH5, Party Play, a "karaoke" function allowing up to 4 singers w/ the lyrics appearing on screen in karaoke-machine fashion. Wii edition also brings back Mii Freestyle & expanded DS connectivity.

As to music content, it looks like BH & GH5 will be essentially cross-compatible. From an IGN report today, 65 GH5 tracks will be available for BH (same "export" function of entering the code off the instruction manual & pay the fee = essentially $6 across the board) on launch week. 61 BH tracks will be exportable to GH5 in the same manner for $5.00. All GHWT/Smash Hits tracks available in GH5 (as well as future ones) will also be playable in BH and most all regular GH DLC from WT/GH5 will be playable in BH. Future BH DLC will likely be playable in GH5, too.

And just like GH5, BH wil be SDHC compatible on Wii.

While L:RB certainly looks fun, I'm thinking "renter" or pick up used (and maybe a Wii RB3 will finally have some form of export function. It needs it!). BH, OTOH, looks to be a buy. I see the wife, kids & various family members diving into this far more than "regular" RB or GH.

And here we always thought RB was the sure bet. Granted, HMX was not that involved in L:RB (it's really a Warner Bros/TT Games project). But BH is giving near-complete cross-compatibility btwn it & GH5 on all systems. Who would have thunk it?

Discuss....

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 64
While I do appreciate that the RB spinoff once again goes out of its way to vastly differentiate itself visually and presentation-wise from the main franchise, whereas the GH equivalent once again is a glorified track pack, BH seems to win this pretty handily. Features-wise it's no contest, and for a game targeted toward younger players, any differences in charting quality seem less relevant.

I still question the need for EITHER game though, as it's not like the main RB and GH franchises aren't already pretty appropriate for all ages as is.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

While I do appreciate that the RB spinoff once again goes out of its way to vastly differentiate itself visually and presentation-wise from the main franchise, whereas the GH equivalent once again is a glorified track pack, BH seems to win this pretty handily. Features-wise it's no contest, and for a game targeted toward younger players, any differences in charting quality seem less relevant.

I still question the need for EITHER game though, as it's not like the main RB and GH franchises aren't already pretty appropriate for all ages as is.

Both games will lack the more metal/potentially offensive stuff (no Lego minifigs rocking to Cannibal Corpse, for example). In the end, it's just another attempt @ a new revenue stream. Although, some questionable (ie - overdone) lyric censoring in GH5's version of Iron Maiden's 2 Minutes To Midnight , for example, has me thinking BH could see some playable Maiden & other metal-ish stuff.

That said, Activision's looks to be readying to collect some of my revenue. The whole cross-compatibiity thing is the kicker. At launch, BH will have conceivably 300 tracks at players' disposal when you count all export. Plus, it'll allow me to add 61 more tunes to GH5.

Both games look to have "super easy" modes for kids/total noobs. But both - BH at least - will still have the full blown Expert/Expert+ options. And being built on GH5, Wii users will be able to rock w/ either GH or RB gear (incl. on Wii).

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 10-19-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
mongo you must not pay attention to lyrics if you think the regular versions are kid-friendly throughout the whole set lists.

Not sure I want to spend more money on BH, but who knows. Then there is dj hero too of course. lol

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
Old 10-19-2009, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I dunno, they put Liz Phair's "Hot White Cum" as DLC last week to some hubbub but it seemed pretty clean to me. I expect next week's Anal C*** track pack will be equally family-friendly.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I actually read the article on IGN that mentioned importation and I was a little confused.

It clearly mentions that you can only import L:RB songs to RB2 on the 360 and PS3 (for good reason, RB2 Wii doesn't support importation of any kind). However, the next paragraph mentions that any family-friendly songs can be imported in the opposite direction, from RB2 to L:RB. While I'd unfortunately doubt that it will be possible, it'd be nice for some clarification on whether this will be allowed in L:RB. Theoretically, since it's a new game, it should have been possible for them to program that in.

And for once, not entirely theoretically wondering about this- my sister just picked up RB2 for her Wii, so it'd be useful for her if she could import the songs into L:RB. In all honesty, most of the songs she plays in RB2 are the family-friendly ones that would probably import anyway, at least on the other consoles. Here's hoping it's possible, though I'm doubtful.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Whats the whole point about BH and L:RB? Not to piss of customers by posting a round of songs that arent to their metallic taste (aka country pack)?

Theres a sucker for every nipple out there.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Songs my wife & kids will dig. Potentially 300 tracks to choose from at launch (factoring in all exportable stuff). Cross compatibility w/ GH5.

Guess I'm a sucker.

Also read via IGN that DS connectivity in BH includes everything from GH5 & adds the ability to use the DS to program what Party Play tracks come up in real time.

A BandHero for DS Lite will include the GBA guitar pad w/ a new skin for finger drums. And vocals support via the DS mic is included, too.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

BandHero for the DS Lite makes sense, that I may be suckered into since theres none on the DS lite..
Old 10-20-2009, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been eyeing Lego Rock Band. I just don't trust the GH engine for the Wii any more.

Where are the set lists for these two?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's Lego Rock Band:
All American Rejects, “Swing, Swing”
The Automatic, “Monster”
Blink-182, “Aliens Exist”
Blur, “Song 2”
Bon Jovi, “You Give Love a Bad Name”
Boys like Girls, “Thunder”
Bryan Adams, “Summer of 69”
Carl Douglas, “Kung Fu Fighting”
The Coral - "Dreaming of You"
Counting Crows, “Accidentally in Love”
David Bowie, “Let’s Dance”
Elton John, “Crocodile Rock”
Europe, “The Final Countdown”
Everlife, “Real Wild Child”
Foo Fighters, “Breakout”
Good Charlotte, “Girls & Boys”
The Hives, “Tick Tick Boom!”
Iggy Pop, “The Passenger”
Incubus, “Dig”
Jackson 5, “I Want You Back”
Jimi Hendrix, “Fire”
Kaiser Chiefs, “Ruby”
Katrina & The Waves, “Walking on Sunshine”
The Kooks, “Naïve”
KoRn, “Word Up!”
KT Tunstall, “Suddenly I See”
Lostprophets, “Rooftops”
P!NK, “So What”
The Police, “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic”
The Primitives, “Crash”
Queen, “We Are The Champions”
Queen, “We Will Rock You”
Rascal Flatts, “Life is a Highway”
Ray Parker Jr., “Ghostbusters”
Razorlight, “Stumble and Fall”
Spin Doctors, “Two Princes”
Spinal Tap, “Short & Sweet”
Steve Harly, “Make Me Smile”
Sum 41, “In Too Deep”
Supergrass, “Grace”
Tom Petty, “Free Fallin”
T-Rex, “Ride a White Swan”
Vampire Weekend, “A-Punk”
We the Kings, “Check Yes Juliet”
The Zutons, “Valerie”
Old 10-20-2009, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way, with no DLC and no import, L:RB is looking a lot like Rock Band 1, i.e. crippled.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Band Hero (including the Amazon error)
Officially Announced Tracks:
The Airborne Toxic Effect - "Gasoline"
The All-American Rejects - "Dirty Little Secrets"
Alphabeat - "Fascination"
Ally & AJ - "Like Whoa"
Big Country - "In a Big Country"
The Bravery - "Believe"
Carl Douglas - "Kung Fu Fighting"
Cheap Trick - "I Want You to Want Me (Live)"
Cold War Kids - "Hang Me Up to Dry"
Counting Crows - "Angels of the Silences"
Dashboard Confessional - "Hands Down"
David Bowie - "Let's Dance"
Devo - "Whip It"
Don McLean - "American Pie"
Duran Duran - "Rio"
Evanescence "Bring Me to Life"
Fall Out Boy - "Sugar, We're Goin' Down"
The Go-Go's - "Our Lips are Sealed"
Hilary Duff - "So Yesterday"
Jackson 5 - "ABC"
Janet Jackson - "Black Cat"
Jesse McCartney - "Beautiful Soul"
Katrina and the Waves - "Walking on Sunshine"
KT Tunstall - "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree"
The Kooks - "Naive"
Lily Allen - "Take What You Take"
Maroon 5 - "She Will Be Loved"
Marvin Gaye - "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - "The Impression That I Get"
No Doubt - "Just a Girl"
Nelly Furtado - "Turn Off the Light"
OK Go - "A Million Ways"
Pat Benetar - "Love is a Battlefield"
Poison - "Every Rose Has It's Thorn"
Robin Williams & Kylie Minogue - "Kids"
Roy Orbison - "Oh, Pretty Woman"
Taylor Swift - "Love Story"
Taylor Swift - "Picture to Burn"
Taylor Swift - "You Belong to Me"
Tonic - "If You Could Only See"
Snow Patrol - "Take Back the City"
Styx - "Mr. Roboto"
The Village People - "Y.M.C.A."
Yellowcard - "Ocean Avenue"
Keep in mind all the tracks below have not been officially announced, but are a part of a very reliable leak that happened on Amazon.de months back. So far, the tracks have been 100% correct since the leak occurred. Read the next list of songs with caution knowing that.
Unannounced Tracks:
Angels & Airwaves - "The Adventure"
Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals - "Steal My Kisses"
Corinne Bailey Rae - "Put Your Records On"
Culture Club - "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?"
Duffy - "Warwick Avenue"
Everclear - "Santa Monica (Watch the World Die)"
Filter - "Take a Picture"
Finger Eleven - "Paralyzer"
Hinder - "Lips of an Angel"
Joan Jett - "Bad Reputation"
Joss Stone - "You Had Me"
N.E.R.D. - "Rockstar"
No Doubt - "Don't Speak"
Papa Roach - "Lifeline"
Parachute - "Back Again"
Rolling Stones - "Honky Tonk Woman"
Santigold - "Les Artistes"
Spice Girls - "Wannabe"
The Last Goodnight - "Pictures of You"
The Turtles - "So Happy Together"
Old 10-20-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I see 15 on the RB one and 19 on the BH one that I would be interested in. The problem, however, is in both cases I am counting songs which I already own in another music game. Especially with the BH one. So they probably will each have like 12-14 I like and then a ton I haven't heard before.

I wish the RB one was not crippled as I really want to ploay crocodile rock.

Got Zelda
Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tweak...that tracklist for BandHero is 100% correct, based on yesterday's official word. This list was confirmed along w/ the info regarding GH5 cross-compatibility, GH/BH exportation, DS options on Wii, etc.

Just curious, what is the problem you have w/ the current GH engine for Wii?

Agree that L:RB for Wii seems a lot like RB1. And even the 360/PS3 versions will feature no online play whatsoever.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

jwebb, what do you like better about the GH5 engine? Just curious because I do feel it's better, but in my case it's more of subtle things I can't put my finger on. I'm not talking about new features or whatnot, but as far as playing a song.

Got Zelda
Old 10-20-2009, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I like the charting of the new tracks in GH5 better than some past GH tracks. I also like that it works w/ RB gear. Overall, it seems like a solid game engine to me.

That said, there are some GH tracks where I feel using a GH guitar is better. Usualy tunes with a lot of fast alt strumming - while the quiet/squishy RB strum bar makes such passages easier in RB games, the same type of passages seem to play better in GH games w/ that noisy/clicky strumbar. Having grabbed a used GHIII guitar last week to play GH:VH, it's nice to have both worlds represented (and 3 guitars in the living room is not so bad).

While I think RB charts drums a bit better, RB drums in GH5 work just fine.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way I played smash hits eysterday and noticed a tip saying you can move your hand on the touch strip on long sustained notes for a cool sound. I never noticed that tip before. So I used my GHWT guitar even though I don't like using that one and it's pretty cool indeed. I still will usually use the les paul though.

Got Zelda
Old 10-20-2009, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

By the way I played smash hits eysterday and noticed a tip saying you can move your hand on the touch strip on long sustained notes for a cool sound. I never noticed that tip before. So I used my GHWT guitar even though I don't like using that one and it's pretty cool indeed. I still will usually use the les paul though.

WT & GH5 guitars w/ the strip will tweak FX when you slide on it during long notes. This feature debuted in WT & has been part of GH ever since. You can do it in GH5, too.

Actually have been looking for a WT guitar used, but no luck so far. GS no longer takes used guitars (or at least used GHIII guitars) - tried to trade it in toward the GHWT w/ guitar package ($10 less than buying a WT guitar by itself). The touch stip I really only want for some VH tunes - 2 handed stuff seems like it'd be easier w/ that strip.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I figured it was still in GH5. Wasn't sure if it could be done in WT.

On the GH and RB songs any of those effetcs are way way way less cool than they COULD be. You just really barely hear much. They should have them be exaggerated louder effects.

Anyway I am tempted to get band hero. Hmm. I could use one of those $5 coupons I got with GH5 unless I forgot and threw it away. lol

Got Zelda
Old 10-20-2009, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I figured it was still in GH5. Wasn't sure if it could be done in WT.

On the GH and RB songs any of those effetcs are way way way less cool than they COULD be. You just really barely hear much. They should have them be exaggerated louder effects.

Anyway I am tempted to get band hero. Hmm. I could use one of those $5 coupons I got with GH5 unless I forgot and threw it away. lol

In RB 1&2, the FX you can trigger w/ a RB Strat (the "pickup selector") actually tend to be louder when on. SOme people I think actually find 'em annoying. I do cop to liking slapback echo, though. On Wii, the options are flanger, slapback echo, longer echo & chorus. I think 360 and/or PS3 has a wah option. FX are on whenever in Overdrive or during solos.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Tweak...that tracklist for BandHero is 100% correct, based on yesterday's official word. This list was confirmed along w/ the info regarding GH5 cross-compatibility, GH/BH exportation, DS options on Wii, etc.

Just curious, what is the problem you have w/ the current GH engine for Wii?

Agree that L:RB for Wii seems a lot like RB1. And even the 360/PS3 versions will feature no online play whatsoever.

I documented my experience in the GH:5 thread, but basically, the Wii engine seems to have inconsistent lag/calibration for me. I started noticing it with GH:A and got rid of that one. That caused me to skip GH:WT. I rented GH:5 and found I had the same issues.

I am ready for a RB:3 that adds a lot of the cool things that the GH franchise has. I just can't risk that lag issue and the potential frustration it brings.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

I documented my experience in the GH:5 thread, but basically, the Wii engine seems to have inconsistent lag/calibration for me. I started noticing it with GH:A and got rid of that one. That caused me to skip GH:WT. I rented GH:5 and found I had the same issues.

I am ready for a RB:3 that adds a lot of the cool things that the GH franchise has. I just can't risk that lag issue and the potential frustration it brings.

I noticed lag/dropout issues when using RB instrumnets at first. Once I figured out that the issues occurred whenever I daisy-chained RB USB stuff together (running RB drusm/mic USBs of the RB2 gtr dongle's open ports) & made sure to either have all RB stuff occupy it's own USB port (on a USB hub) or use a GHII guitar, all was good.

RB drums work fine for me. I do find a GH guitar tends to work better overall than RB ones in GH5 (and eventually BandHero), esp in fast strum parts. RB guitar as bass in GH5, however, has been relatively flawless.

Obviously not the issue YOU were having since it stemmed back to earlier titles. Were you on Wii for GH before? THere is a definite difference in the "timing window" btwn RB & GH, it seems. GH5 to me seems less forgiving at times than RB.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

As far as waiting on RB3, they didn't add anything (and even took out features) between RB and RB2 so I wouldn't be surprised if they just throw out another RB2 with different graphics and set list.

Got Zelda
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as waiting on RB3, they didn't add anything (and even took out features) between RB and RB2 so I wouldn't be surprised if they just throw out another RB2 with different graphics and set list.

I would think a few advancements made in The Beatles - mainly multiple vocalists - will be part of the next major RB game.

Also expect - or maybe just HOPE - that HMX steps up the Wii edition next time out. They kinda needs to, as GH keeps coming out with Wii music games that do all those cool "current-gen" things 360/PS3-ers take for granted & Wii was supposedly to weak to handle.

Btwn BandHero & LEGO RB, BH wins by a light year in terms of a complete feature set. Right now, the only thing making me consider getting L:RB for Wii is the inclusion of Queen as LEGO minifigs in game. Awesome!

But L:RB is either an extended rental or grab it used. BH looks to be a for sure buy that will greatly expand the GH library (and GH will expand BH's library, too).

BTW - of the 65 disc tracks in BH, the following 4 are the only ones that WILL NOT be exportable to GH5:

So Yesterday" Hilary Duff
"Mr. Roboto" Styx
"Like Whoa" Aly & AJ
"Beautiful Soul" Jesse McCartney

Roboto is slightly disappointing, other 3 just do not jibe w/ GH IMO, anyway.

No official word yet as to what disc tracks make up the 69 of 85 exportable into BH from GH5.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, losing out on a Hilary Duff song is not exactly a minus. Her music isn't just bad in the usual "manufactured music aimed at teenage girls SUCKS" kinda way. It's a whole new level. Every song of hers I've had the misfortune of hearing sounds like background music for a Barbie commercial. I'd even put Lindsay Lohan's or Paris Hilton's attempts at music far above Duff's. It is that bad.

Pretty hot since she lost those 40 pounds, though.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I should date Hilary.

edit: btw, Miley is here tonight, but I'm not going. lol

Got Zelda
Old 10-30-2009, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to a couple of online reports, the newly designed GH drumkit rolling out w/ Band Hero will at launch be a Wii exclusive item only. At launch, 360/PS3 users will see their BH full kit include the GHWT drums. BH drumkit will come later to those systems.

How weird is it to see the lowly Wii version get the new toy first!! OF course, this is not a HMX product, or else some new toy would surely go to 360 folks first.

But since BandHero is Activision's "family/pop friendly" music title, it sorta makes sense that the console most families are likely to own & use together would get some extra love. Couple this w/ the expanded DS connectivity & you have what may be another of those gaming rarities - the Wii version is actually the one to get.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

The key thing for me is the absolutely need to make the Wii drums wireless WITHOUT requiring you to plug in your Wiimote. If they'd do that (along with the guitars) I might try this again.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

The key thing for me is the absolutely need to make the Wii drums wireless WITHOUT requiring you to plug in your Wiimote. If they'd do that (along with the guitars) I might try this again.

Doubt they do - making the GH gear essentially glorified Classic Controllers (button maps for gtr/drum are basic Classic Controller button registers, I have read) makes it wasy for them to make Wii gear apparently.

That said, both GH5 & BH are also compatible with RB gear on the Wii (finally). While I find that GH guitars work better in GH5 than RB Strats do - particularly when a lot of rapid notes are happening - the RB drums works as well (IMO) in GH5 as they do in any RB game. And you don't have to readjust your playing - GH5 & BH sense RB drums & change the note highway to a RB style 4 pads/kick. Only thing I notice is that GH5 drum charts can sometimes be a little weird in their note charts - RB charts just fell "better" to me - but overall not a lot of difference btwn the 2 in terms of drums.