Connecting a Wii using an HDMI jack on my TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-19-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a new LED Samsung...love the picture and all it does, but I am stuck without an easy solution to connecting my Wii. I need to use the TV's component jacks for my surround sound system, so unjacking that is not an option. I do, however have 3 spare HDMI jacks. How can I get the Wii to work through one of those? I have limited technical understanding of this sort of thing, but want to get back to having fun on the Wii.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-20-2009, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

I take it your problem is your cables can't reach your AVR&TV. You can extend the video part of the component cables using this.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 AM

Let me start my answer with a question. What type of surround sound system do you have? Is it a dedicated receiver or is it a home theater in a box with a built in DVD or Blu-ray player? If it's a home theater in a box-type system, it may--but probably doesn't--have a component video input that will pass your video to the TV.

If you have a dedicated receiver and an open component input, you should be able to use the video switching in your receiver.

[Edit--it appears that it does not accept component over VGA--so this option is apparently out]
If neither of those pan out, some TVs accept Component video through the VGA port. Could you check if your TV does that or post the model # so someone here could check it out for you. If it does, then a cable like this and one of the connectors that CRT Dude mentions will put you in business.

TWW resident bullet sponge
PSN: ThreeWulfMoon
post #4 of 8 Old 10-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Just buy a component video to hdmi converter. Something like this http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...ingid=23037266 should do.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-20-2009, 01:59 PM

Kevy,

I was going to suggest that route too. The one you linked to has a digital coaxial input for the sound, which won't work on the Wii. There are some out there that have regular two-channel inputs for audio, but they seem to be a little harder to find and more expensive. My only apprehension about this type of solution is that these devices might not be reliable. I've also heard some folks mention that their TVs have trouble taking 480i/p over HDMI. Might not be the case with the newer Samsungs, but it still introduces another variable into the equation. Why in the heck would a TV only have one component input?

post #6 of 8 Old 10-20-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the responses. Here's more detail on my "situation"

I have a Bose lifestyle system that I will look at tonight to see if I have the jacks that would accomodate the Wii wires. The Lifestyle system I have plays DVD's and that is the system that has consumed the component jacks on my TV because it doesn't connect with HDMI. This may prove problematic if I ever get a BluRay because I suspect it will need to jack into the Bose unit as well if I want to watch BluRays.

I don't know the model number of my TV offhand. It's a 7000-series Samsung LED is all I can tell you without the manual. My goal is to be able to leave the Wii hooked-up without having to swap connections every time I want to do something different. Since I'm not an over-the-top gamer/videophile, I don't think my goal is too ambitious for the equipment I have, but then again, my knowledge on this stuff runs a mile-wide and an inch-deep.

Thanks for your help everyone!
post #7 of 8 Old 10-20-2009, 04:39 PM

Wcoff,

No problem. I've learned a ton from the other members here. There's always a ton of people willing to help each other out. If your Bose has a red, green, and blue component hookups for an input, you're probably all set for your Wii. If not, then a cheap component switcher is in order.

You'll need one of these and an extra set of component and audio cables. You'll hook your Bose and your Wii to the switcher, and then the switcher to your TV. You'll then select which source you want to use with a push of the button (and it has a remote!). It's not 100% seemless, but it's much better than swapping cables. Plus, it'll give you a couple extra set of inputs for any future devices that use component.

I've not used this particular switcher, but everything I've ever bought from Monoprice has worked flawlessly. Pretty much everyone here at AVS uses them.

post #8 of 8 Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wes View Post

Kevy,

I was going to suggest that route too. The one you linked to has a digital coaxial input for the sound, which won't work on the Wii. There are some out there that have regular two-channel inputs for audio, but they seem to be a little harder to find and more expensive. My only apprehension about this type of solution is that these devices might not be reliable. I've also heard some folks mention that their TVs have trouble taking 480i/p over HDMI. Might not be the case with the newer Samsungs, but it still introduces another variable into the equation. Why in the heck would a TV only have one component input?

Since he said he had a surround system I assumed he would have plenty of rca audio inputs on the receiver. So he could connect the rca audio inputs directly to it.

If that's not the case there are more expensive converters that accept analog input too.

A component video selector might be a better purchase. I personally have the 40" Samsung LED model from the 6000 series and use a Pelican System Selector Pro 2.0. Using it to swtich a PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page