Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1041407p1.html

Don't get too excitied yet - still just talk. Here's the pertinent info from IGN's report posted today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN.com, 11/3/09 View Post

November 3, 2009 - WiiWare is slowly becoming packed with content, especially in Japan where the service often sees four titles released in a single week. Wouldn't it be great to be able to try out some of those games before handing over your precious WiiPoints? Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata appears to think so!

During the Q&A session at a recent earnings briefing, Iwata told investors that Nintendo would begin a test program for WiiWare demos some time this month. The test will cover just a few titles.

According to Iwata, Nintendo is undertaking this test to see if it can get more players shopping on the Wii Shopping Channel. He admitted that the market for WiiWare and DSi Ware is currently small, with the Wii Shopping Channel and DSi Shop browsed only by people who already know the game they want to get.

Iwata also said that he doesn't feel demos are necessarily the solution to the problem. He may or may not be right, but we're sure some players would appreciate being able to try out certain WiiWare games in advance.

Nintendo hasn't officially announced this WiiWare demo program just yet, so we don't have specifics on titles or a start time frame. It's also unclear if the test will be limited to Japan, or if Nintendo will let the entire world take part.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
About time!

But watch this be only implemented for WiiHD...

-vdz
post #3 of 18 Old 11-03-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
To be honest, demos (on the PS3 at least) more often than not convince me NOT to buy a certain game. There has been exactly one time that a demo has resulted in me buying the full game: Arkham Asylum. Everything else has ranged from "meh, no need to pay for this" to "boy were my expectations wrong about this one."

That said, about freakin' time. Still, I expect this to remain a Japan-only "experiment" for the foreseeable future.
post #4 of 18 Old 11-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I love demos. I wish they had them for the Wii.

I'd say they're about half and half. A lot of the time there will be a lot of hype about a game, and I'll play it and think it's crap. Or reviews will say it's average, when in fact it's a lot of fun. It's free; what's there to lose? I've played the Devil May Cry demo at least 5 times already. The Little Big Planet demo answered the question: "what the heck is Little Big Planet?"

I will stand around and wait to play whatever they have on demo at Gamestop. Hell, the gamestop demo of mario kart wii is the whole reason I got back into video games. The gamestop demo also kept me from buying Wii Music, though the idea did seem pretty lame to begin with.

All in all: if the game sucks, your demo will suck too. I say there's nothing to lose if the developers made a quality product.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #5 of 18 Old 11-16-2009, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The talk of WiiWare demos is over - it is now reality, apparently....and this includes more than just Japanese Wii users. Us Yanks have access, too.

edit - can someone confirm? This is from a UK site, but if they have it on that side of the pond, I imagine we do, too.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=227323

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerandvideogames.com, 11/16/09 View Post

Nintendo's launched a new demo download service on WiiWare for a select number of titles.

From today until 16 January 2010 Wii owners will be able to download and play Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord, Bit.Trip Beat, and NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits.

The Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles demo allows you to download six levels of the strategy game, while the NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits and Bit.Trip Beat trials both feature the opening level.

Here's how to download a demo, via Official Nintendo Magazine:

At the start of this service, all demos are directly available from the main entry point of the Wii Shop Channel, the recommendation page.
Alternatively you simply need to visit the WiiWare section of the Wii Shop Channel and select "Search by Genre".

Next you choose the "Demo" genre to get a list of all demos currently available. Every demo can be downloaded to your Wii console or to an SD Card free of charge, so feel free to try as many as you like!

Just pick the title of your choice, select "Download" and you will be playing before you know it!

Welcome to 2009, Wii Shop!!!

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #6 of 18 Old 11-16-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Joystiq also reported the demos being available. Wow, that was unexpectedly fast. Way to go Nintendo.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-16-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to IGN's news on this, World of Goo is also available as a demo.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1045418p1.html

post #8 of 18 Old 11-16-2009, 02:14 PM

Liked: 93
"Welcome to 2009, Wii Shop!!!"

I think you mean "Welcome to 2005, Wii Shop!!!"

Xbox Live has had demos of every Live Arcade game since day one. This practice has also lead me to purchase far, far more Live Arcade titles than I have bought of WiiWare/Virtual Console. This is a good move, but terribly late to the game.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-16-2009, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Xbox Live has had demos of every Live Arcade game since day one. This practice has also lead me to purchase far, far more Live Arcade titles than I have bought of WiiWare/Virtual Console. This is a good move, but terribly late to the game.

Honestly, for me personally, trials have caused me to not purchase a Live Arcade game way more often than they've made me buy one. A lot of simpler games, I feel like the trial is enough of the gameplay that I don't care that it's enough of the full game.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #10 of 18 Old 11-17-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I downloaded all three demos yesterday. Pretty cool. It's sort of annoying in that it takes you directly to the full-game purchase page on the Wii Shop Channel as soon as you reach the end of the demo, but that's easily circumvented by going to the Home menu or just powering off.

On a side note, do NOT download WiiWare stuff directly to SD card unless you have a fast one. My $8 2GB Kingston card probably took almost twice as long to download, but the real annoying part is that for some reason Mario will keep hitting that last coin block on the downloading screen for at least a couple full minutes (instead of just a few seconds). I thought something was broken.
post #11 of 18 Old 11-17-2009, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally got around to checking out World of Goo, thanks to the demo.

Addictive! And I DL-ed it direct to the Wii, not an SD card - only took a couple of minutes total.

post #12 of 18 Old 11-17-2009, 11:11 AM

Liked: 93
"I thought something was broken."

It probably downloaded to internal memory, but then transferred it over to the SD card at the end.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Oh cool. Would love to check out world of goo

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #14 of 18 Old 11-17-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Oh cool. Would love to check out world of goo

It's very cool. Not being able to save progrss sucks (Goo looks to have 4 "levels" available inthe demo & I assume it's online capabilities are lost in the demo as well). After a couple more plays of this, I can see shelling out the Points to get the full version.

See, Nintendo? These demos might work out great for you!

post #15 of 18 Old 11-02-2010, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=273264

One year later, Iwata @ Co decide that WiiWare/DSiWare demos are in fact a good idea.

Looks like Nintendo will bring back Wii/DSiWare free demos this week, and this time will keep them coming, with demo titles refreshing on a regular basis.

I still have 3 of last year's WiiWare demos on an SD card.

post #16 of 18 Old 11-18-2010, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=273264

One year later, Iwata @ Co decide that WiiWare/DSiWare demos are in fact a good idea.

Looks like Nintendo will bring back Wii/DSiWare free demos this week, and this time will keep them coming, with demo titles refreshing on a regular basis.

I still have 3 of last year's WiiWare demos on an SD card.

Turns out the above story was for WiiWare demos in Europe.

BUt, IGN posted news today that NOA has announced US WiiWare demos go live in NA on Nov 22. Bit.Trip Fate, And Yet It Moves, ThruSpace and Jett Rocket will be the 1st ones offered, with others following as often as weekly.

post #17 of 18 Old 11-18-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

FINALLY. I'll definitely be downloading at least the first two demos you mentioned. Although it's worth mentioning that often playing a demo (on the PS3) has the effect of affirming that I do NOT need to play the full game. Only three out of dozens of demos have prompted me to buy the full game: Batman Arkham Asylum, Valkyria Chronicles, and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. I wonder if my WiiWare Demo try/buy rate will be any better.
post #18 of 18 Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
YEEES! I'd love anything bit.trip, this is awesome news!

Now let's hope they really DO keep them coming... I have a bad feeling it's another tease, unless maybe it's somehow going to tie into the new 3DS ware system in the future. C'mon common Nintendo account, and adios friend codes.

-vdz
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page