The controllers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-08-2009, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So am thinking of getting the family some of the classic controllers. Something that will play the old SNES, gamecube, and the Sega games. Gamestop said to stick with the Nintendo controllers, but.... I like the BOSS controllers and the family likes the colors available. As I understand though, these will only work with SNES games. We do still have a N64 and some controllers with it. How will these work? I mean, I know that they can plug in and all. So any suggestions for something cool controller wise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-08-2009, 05:06 AM

The Wii will accept Gamecube controllers through the ports on the side. However, N64 controllers won't work. I know that Gamestop recommends sticking with Nintendo branded stuff, but I would say you would be alright with a reputable 3rd party. I have the Nyko Wing (wired version) and it came bundled with a Nunchuck for $19.99. I like it and it works well.

That being said, there are a few reviews of the BOSS, and most say it's a pass. Look here and here for a couple quick first impressions.

TWW resident bullet sponge
PSN: ThreeWulfMoon
post #3 of 17 Old 12-08-2009, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Frankly I'd argue that there's no such thing as a reputable third-party, but I'm finicky about controllers: nothing but first-party on any system ever feels quite right. But for more casual, non-nerd gamers it might be okay. I have heard decent reviews of the Nyko Wing.

As for the BOSS "controllers" specifically (is that officially all-caps?), keep in mind they're actually just shells for the Wiimote, so really you could only play NES games with them, despite mimicking SNES controllers visually.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-08-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Yeah - for VC games, stick w/ Wii Classic controllers or GameCube pads.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #5 of 17 Old 12-13-2009, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

I thought that the controllers for the N64 were the same as the GameCube. Is this not correct? Does that one controller called the Classic do any more than the regular Wii remote? And if it does, then putting that BOSS shell on it should be fine... no? Am/was just trying to be creative and what accessories I was gettign the wife for her new Wii. If I do go with one that will work with the NES, SNES, the virtual console, and whatever else and want it some thing non-Nintendo, then what is listed as best over the branded stuff? Thanks much.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-13-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

It can all be a little confusing, so let me try to simplify:

-Classic controller can be used for ALL VC games, but cannot be used for GameCube games. This is because it has enough buttons to cover every system on the VC.
-Similarly, GameCube controllers can be used for all VC games and (obviously) all GameCube games. It too has enough buttons for all VC systems, but typically isn't as comfortable for VC games due to the button layout and placement of the d-pad.
-N64 controllers cannot be used at all on Wii, and are totally separate from GameCube controllers.
-The Wiimote by itself (or with the BOSS shell, which adds no buttons) can only be used for NES games (and possibly some TG16 games?) on the VC, since it only has two main buttons.

Hope this helps. Someone else would have to chime in about third-party accessories, but I hear decent things about the Nyko Wing.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-13-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I haven't tried them in a while, but I believe some Genesis games work with the Wii remote alone as well (aka the Sonic games). They had the same function for every button, so you're not limited by only the two buttons using the controller "NES-style".

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #8 of 17 Old 12-13-2009, 11:02 AM

You could combine this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-RetroPort-...0730907&sr=8-3

With this:

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Nintendo...0730929&sr=1-1

I can't speak for the Wii version of that adapter but the PC version is one solid piece of hardware. Other people have spoken well of it in any case.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-13-2009, 03:34 PM

Liked: 93
The $20 Nintendo brand Classic Controller is really a nice piece of hardware, and compares very favorably to the top-notch original SNES controller. The only downside to it is that it does physically wire in to the Wiimote.

I would take Nintendo's Classic Controller over any of the other options any day of the week.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-13-2009, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

The $20 Nintendo brand Classic Controller is really a nice piece of hardware, and compares very favorably to the top-notch original SNES controller. The only downside to it is that it does physically wire in to the Wiimote.

I would take Nintendo's Classic Controller over any of the other options any day of the week.

I personally find that the Classic Controller is a little awkward for using the left analog stick myself, the same way I find it to be a little awkward on PS controllers.

That's just a personal thing though, I'm sure others have no problem with it.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #11 of 17 Old 12-13-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, I've always felt the same way about the PS controllers (and thus the Classic Controller). I've never felt totally comfortable with the analog stick placement in either case, just as I never liked using the D-Pad on the GameCube controller. The "lower and to the right" placement of a secondary control input just plain doesn't work well (perhaps just for people with smaller hands). It was an ugly, awkward-looking mother, but the N64 controller is by far my favorite controller ever as far as versatility goes.

In any case, the analog sticks on the CC don't get that much use, unless you download a lot of N64 stuff.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-13-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I've always thought that third party controllers would suck, but now that mongo says they do I've got to rethink my assumption and figure they're probably awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-14-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

I've always thought that third party controllers would suck, but now that mongo says they do I've got to rethink my assumption and figure they're probably awesome.

No, he's pretty much spot-on.

I have a 3rd party GC controller. It works fine & was cheap - and came w/ a decent sized GC memory card. But when you compare it next to an offical GC or Wavebird controller...yes, you can certainly FEEL a difference.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #14 of 17 Old 12-15-2009, 12:55 PM

Like I said earlier, I have the wired version of the Nyko wing and I like it quite a bit. It is responsive and the shape feels pretty good. It was truly a financial decision to go with Nyko over the first-party alternative. For $19.99, it came packed with a nunchuck. Of course, you seldom go wrong buying an official Nintendo product...

TWW resident bullet sponge
PSN: ThreeWulfMoon
post #15 of 17 Old 12-16-2009, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Any suggestions on someplace to get the official controllers cheaper than the $20 price? What about the others recommended such as the wingman and all? Thanks much.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-16-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmanmeg View Post

Any suggestions on someplace to get the official controllers cheaper than the $20 price? What about the others recommended such as the wingman and all? Thanks much.

NOt gonna see much, if any, budge i price on official Nintendo stuff, save for maybe a $0.03-$0.05 difference @ WalMart.

If looking for a nunchuck & a new game, Target sells the awesome Punch-Out!! w/ a packed in nunchuck for under $60.

In most places during the holidays, you can apparently get the new black Wiimote w/ a MotionPlus add-on for around $50 (Wiimote alone normally $50)

post #17 of 17 Old 12-16-2009, 07:40 AM

Liked: 11
Anyone ever try one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-IN-1-SNES-NES-...item5ad5aac2b0

Well after a little research on eBay, I found someone that had purchased this adapter and asked their opinion. Luckly they respond and much to my surprise they were experience with controller latency and homebrew. Aka they knew what they were doing. Here is their response:

"Actually, Perfectly. No lag. You can even plug all 4 controllers in at once and it still works (all as the same player though). It works perfectly for all homebrew channel apps and it even works with an atari 2600 controller when you plug it in the GEN slot. It works by making the Wii think whatever is plugged in is a gamecube controller. I've even played Naruto with an Nes and Snes controller and it plays fine! I really recommend this adapter."

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page