Netflix on Wii?? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 201 Old 10-18-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Sweet. I know it sounds super, super lazy of me, but it's gotten to the point where I definitely feel a little annoyed whenever I actually have to get up and change the disc in my gaming consoles these days. It's a rough life, I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 201 Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Sweet. I know it sounds super, super lazy of me, but it's gotten to the point where I definitely feel a little annoyed whenever I actually have to get up and change the disc in my gaming consoles these days. It's a rough life, I know.

Due to it's use primarily by the kids in my house, our Netflix disc has taken a beating since we first got it months ago. This kills the need to perhaps request a new disc.

From the getgo, Wii users only needed the Netflix disc to get the app running. Once Netflix was loaded & connected online, you could eject the disc. Now? No disc at all - and again I assume the Search function will now be part of it. I'll find out in a few hours.

Mongo - are you doing Netflix via Wii or PS3? Sony is also adding disc-free Netflix today as well according to reports I saw today mentioning the Wii update. Guess the supposed 360 "exclusivity" for Netflix on the XBL Dashboard has expired.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #183 of 201 Old 10-18-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I do all my Netflix streaming on Wii, even though I do have a perfectly good PS3 that's now technically capable of 1080p and Dolby Digital Plus. Why? Because my internet provider sucks eggs, that's why, and the wireless signal in my living room sucks at least an entire chicken. Weirdly enough the PS3 wireless seems to suck just a little bit more than the Wii wireless--at best they're equal, so if I'm watching a grainy picture anyway, I may as well use the method that uses like a tenth the electricity of the other.
post #184 of 201 Old 10-18-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, your Wii streaming just got an updated UI, including a full Search function.

And yeah, PS3 was first as far as game consoles to get 1080i & DD5.1 from Netflix today apparently.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #185 of 201 Old 10-21-2010, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Well, your Wii streaming just got an updated UI, including a full Search function.

And yeah, PS3 was first as far as game consoles to get 1080i & DD5.1 from Netflix today apparently.

Have you downloaded this yet? I'm wondering how well the interface works, how easy it is to set up, etc.

Disc-less is the carrot I've been waiting for, but I'm curious how well this works via the new menu.

-vdz
post #186 of 201 Old 10-21-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I downloaded it, and didn't need to do any setup other than downloading the channel. I think if it's your first time streaming on the Wii in any form, you'd have to enter your Netflix username and password, but that's about it. It automatically knows your queue, or you can browse by increasingly specific genre ("Dark Witty Indie Comedies Starring a Strong Female Lead"). Search is pretty straightforward, too--just type in the title. Overall the interface isn't overly pretty, but as functional as I need.
post #187 of 201 Old 10-21-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

To echo Mongo - yeah, it's stupid easy.

If you have never registered your Wii as a device on your Netflix account, the 1st time you load up the new Channel (or the old disc before), you will be given a code onscreen to enter @ the Netflix website to register your device. It will then connect, confirm your account info & in a few moments every title in your Instant Queue will appear - as will several levels of suggested titles.

Unlike the disc based app, the "Netflix Channel" allows you full search functions & you can populate your queue from the Wii as opposed to having to do it from your PC.

If you already were using the Wii disc (like me), once you DL the Channel from WiiShop there is nothing left to do but check out your new UI & search functions. Existing queue will be there.

post #188 of 201 Old 10-21-2010, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Did the parental controls get any better with the new UI? I dont like it that my wii uses my main account settings, thus on my PC I want one setup/setting and on my wii I want another. Its easy...have they figured it out yet?
post #189 of 201 Old 10-21-2010, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What's with the grayscale on these movies?!

I watched Vacancy and Sixteen Candles, and outlines of shadows and faces in some scenes in both movies appear with a visibly green tint. If you watch Vacancy, look at the corners of the walls in the motel room, and at Luke Wilson's shadow when he discovers the trapdoor in the bathroom. (This looks so unnatural, that there is no way this is artistic intention.) Can anyone verify what I'm seeing?

Am I correct to assume that the problem has to be in the Wii, since I'm feeding my Wii through a DVDO Edge and I threw up a grayscale ramp that's built into the processor, and there's not a trace of green on the pattern. This is an ISF/THX calibrated plasma, and I haven't seen anything like this with any other input.
post #190 of 201 Old 11-29-2010, 11:33 AM

Liked: 10
Looking forward to trying this out on my soon to be connected Wii. So glad this system is able to offer this functionality - gives it a whole new dimension of use !
post #191 of 201 Old 11-29-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

While I've been eyeing the new Apple TV to take over Netflix (HD) as well as the cool connection options btwn main Mac, iPod, A/V system, etc., we've gotten A LOT of use out of the Wii Netflix option - even nicer that it's no longer saddled to that mostly useless disc & has a decent search function (and the ability to add flicks to your DVD queue via Wii, IIRC)

post #192 of 201 Old 11-29-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
While I've been eyeing the new Apple TV to take over Netflix (HD) as well as the cool connection options btwn main Mac, iPod, A/V system, etc., we've gotten A LOT of use out of the Wii Netflix option - even nicer that it's no longer saddled to that mostly useless disc & has a decent search function (and the ability to add flicks to your DVD queue via Wii, IIRC)
That's good to hear - Apple TV is not in my near or intermediate plans so its nice to hear positive things about the Wii's implementation.

My Wii is going upstairs, my 360 and PS3 are downstairs. When I'm gaming, my wife can use the Wii to stay busy (and guilt me less). Of course, now I may find myself upstairs more often w/ the Wii - either way she'll have access to Netflix wherever she is.
post #193 of 201 Old 11-29-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

As well, I dig - as do the kids - the Wii's use of the Wiimote IR for perusing your Netflix queue - I would assume Kinect does or will give one Minority Report-level control of this fucntion on the 360.

post #194 of 201 Old 12-01-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

As well, I dig - as do the kids - the Wii's use of the Wiimote IR for perusing your Netflix queue - I would assume Kinect does or will give one Minority Report-level control of this fucntion on the 360.

It might in the future (and would be very welcome, I'm sure), but AFAIK right now, the Netflix app on the 360 does not support the Kinect.
post #195 of 201 Old 12-02-2010, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way, the new app (from the wii shop) is much better than the disc-based one.
post #196 of 201 Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 AM

Okay, having experienced Netflix on all 3 systems (Wii, 360, PS3) - predictably the Wii's presentation is not as good as the other two. I see more blocking and what not when using the Wii. Mind you, I'm streaming Season 1 of The Tudors so its not HD content to begin with, but the other two systems give more of a true DVD presentation than the Wii.

That being said, I found the quality acceptable for what its running on - nobody buys a Wii for HD or near HD anything. This will work out perfectly fine for my wife when I'm downstairs gaming (and thus ignoring her). My wife is not a videophile by any means, so it makes it 2x acceptable.

post #197 of 201 Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Can Wii be used with an audio video receiver to support dolby digital audio? I have a Yamaha A/V receiver, a Sony Wega tv and Wii for netflix. I get audio from the TV. I have an optical cable from the output of the TV to the A/V receiver but no dolby digital audio. I also have RCA cables on the audio as well. Still no DD. Thanks in advance, WolfpackRon.

Also, is there an app for Pandora for the Wii gaming machine?
Also, is there an app for Youtube?
post #198 of 201 Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpackron View Post
Can Wii be used with an audio video receiver to support dolby digital audio? I have a Yamaha A/V receiver, a Sony Wega tv and Wii for netflix. I get audio from the TV. I have an optical cable from the output of the TV to the A/V receiver but no dolby digital audio. I also have RCA cables on the audio as well. Still no DD. Thanks in advance, WolfpackRon.

Also, is there an app for Pandora for the Wii gaming machine?
Also, is there an app for Youtube?
While Wii can & does output Dolby Pro Logic II, not sure if Netflix stuff is sending that signal or not. Probably best to run your receiver in DPLII for the Wii input & let your ears decide. Wii, however, does NOT output digital audio.

THIS, however, maybe an option:

http://www.neoya.com/shop/?gclid=CLH...FQpvbAod6xuTFw

While it will not upconvert Wii video at all, the above linked product does give Wii an HDMI out that will carry both audio & video via a single cable. Still not actual Dolby DIGITAL audio, though - just normal Wii audio now carried via HDMI.

Pandora for Wii? No.

You Tube, OTOH, has a "game console friendly" version that, while not available to have on your Wii Channel menu, can be bookmarked (or even may be out of the gate - not sure) in Wii's downloadable Opera-based Internet Channel browser (free to download from the Wii Shop).

post #199 of 201 Old 01-22-2011, 07:56 PM

What is the best picture quality using a Wii for Netflix? Also, what is the best picture quality using something like a blu-ray DVD player? Some mentioned the Sony BDP-S370 or BDP-S570 blu-ray DVD players. Any suggestions? I would like the best picture quality and also Dolby Digital audio thru my Yamaha A/V receiver. The Dolby Digital adds so much to movies. Thanks in advance, WolfpackRon.
post #200 of 201 Old 01-24-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think NetFlix stream digital audio just yet. I think Netflix on Wii and my 50" 720p plasma looks as good as the Netflix on my LG bd570 and my 54" 1080p plasma... both are bandwidth limited on my 7mb DSL connection, so neither are streaming full HD. Wii does not have access to HD streaming.. FYI.
post #201 of 201 Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpackron View Post

What is the best picture quality using a Wii for Netflix? Also, what is the best picture quality using something like a blu-ray DVD player? Some mentioned the Sony BDP-S370 or BDP-S570 blu-ray DVD players. Any suggestions? I would like the best picture quality and also Dolby Digital audio thru my Yamaha A/V receiver. The Dolby Digital adds so much to movies. Thanks in advance, WolfpackRon.

Check out this thread.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page