Wii & Infrared Repeater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-08-2009, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I'm about to get a Wii and I have a few questions regarding the potential setup.

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma HDTV. My components(cable box, av receiver, dvd player, etc) is all stored in a closet across the room. I control the components via an infrared repeater(IR) that is installed above the TV. On each component, I have a small sensor that attaches to each component's IR signal. This allows me to control each component with the closet door closed, across the room.

My question is regarding the Wii sensor bar. Can I place the Wii with the rest of my components, and use my existing IR set up to control the Wii sensor bar? Will there be a lag time in response?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-09-2009, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The Wii sensor bar is actually just a couple of IR LEDs glowing as reference points for the Bluetooth Wii Remote to track. The Wii Remote does all of the talking to the console. You just need to get a "Wireless Sensor Bar", which is code for "A pair of IR LEDs attached to a battery".

They are like $20 in retail.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-09-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

The Wii sensor bar is actually just a couple of IR LEDs glowing as reference points for the Bluetooth Wii Remote to track. The Wii Remote does all of the talking to the console. You just need to get a "Wireless Sensor Bar", which is code for "A pair of IR LEDs attached to a battery".

They are like $20 in retail.

I use the Nyko wireless bar myself. Bought it mainly due to our taking the Wii w/ us last summer during a week @ the grandparent's cabin in the Sierras. Since then, I have ditched the stock sensor bar completely.

I use rechargable batteries w/ mine - a charged set of 4 AAs will last a week or more, depending on use. Although during a particularly long session of Metroid Prime, the power on it started to fade sooner (just add fresh AAs). And for games that do not use IR pointing, I just turn it off.

Do suggest either using rechargables w/ a wireless bar or find one that has an AC adaptor option (Nyko does not). The connection for the stock sensor bar is simply supplying power to it, not sending/receiving any data at all. As darklordjames mentioned, all the "thinking" occurs btwn the Wiimote & the console.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Reply Nintendo