Please help: Wild s-video distortion - no picture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my new s-video cable for my Wii and this is all it's giving me:

I checked all of the connections and such. WTF?

Also, I plugged it into my HVR-850. It doesn't show any picture at all there.

It says on the packaging that it supports 480P/720P EDTV/HDTV video. Is this cable somehow sending out a progressive signal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-11-2009, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe531 View Post

I just got my new s-video cable for my Wii and this is all it's giving me:

I checked all of the connections and such. WTF?

Also, I plugged it into my HVR-850. It doesn't show any picture at all there.

It says on the packaging that it supports 480P/720P EDTV/HDTV video. Is this cable somehow sending out a progressive signal?

S-video is incapable of sending a progressive signal. Furthermore, the Wii can't even send out a HD signal, so I have no clue why the cable your using advertises 720P support (Not to mention already falsely stating it has 480p support).

Was your Wii working normally prior to this? Does your television's (And this HVR-850, whatever is is) s-video input work with other equipment so you can rule that out? Also, hook this up directly to your television so you can possibly rule out this HVR-850 thing as being the problem. And if you have access to someone else's Wii, I'd try to check your cable out there with their setup (Or if their Wii is hooked up via s-video, bring your console along and plug it into their setup and see that it works).

Don't worry about the Wii sending (Or trying to send) out a progressive signal, that will only happen if you enable it in the dashboard options. So no chance of that being an issue here.

The obvious thing to do is to do some trouble shooting, that's all we're going to be able to tell you. Start eliminating things as possible problems.

I also suggest returning the cable and getting something from a more reliable source. If the manufacturer can't even get basic information correct or is knowingly placing false information on it's product, I don't hold much hope for it working well or even at all. I suspect this cable is the culprit here.

Lastly, why are you trying to use s-video? Cheap component cables for the Wii that work well are cheap and widely available. If your setup will allow you to use component cables, I'd suggest getting rid of this cable and getting a component cable that will offer you a superior video output.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-11-2009, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah my Wii and TV set were working fine before this. I only bought this cable to replace my old s-vid one that wasn't of very good quality.

Oh yeah, sorry, I should have stated the HVR-850 is a little usb video capture card made by Hauppauge. And it works fine with other video connections.

I am just going to return it to Amazon here this weekend. Like you said, there's not much hope for the cable when the manufacturer can't get it's info right.

Finally, I only use s-vid because that's the max connection my TV can take. It's an old CRT (that still works as good as the day I got it).
post #4 of 9 Old 12-11-2009, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

I believe your instincts are correct. I've seen very strange pictures like this before and I'll bet your Wii is trying to output 480p. Do you remember the last time you went into the setup menus what resolution you selected? Obviously, you can't see them now.

I know this is not the case for your TV, but for others reading this: Keep in mind, some CRT's have component (RGB) inputs. That does NOT automatically mean the CRT will do 480p -- some/most still max out at 480i resolution but use the three video cables just as a way to give a cleaner signal.

A wii hooked up to a CRT and set to 480i output should give a better picture through an s-video connection than composite. I respect you hanging on to your old electronics until they die, by the way.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-11-2009, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

I'm calling this cable a failure. I just tested it on three other tv sets here and there, one Sony Trinitron CRT and an LG LCD HDTV. Neither tv even showed a picture when connected with this cable. However, on all three of the tvs I tested, the composite connection (it's an S-vid/composite cable btw) works fine. Sigh.

Steel, I actually connected the s-vid first, got the scrambled picture, then connected the composite. That gave the picture a really dotted, pink tone. I checked and it said it was on 480i mode. So I assume it's 480i with the s-vid connection.

Anywho, thanks for the help guys. And thanks, I do tend to keep a lot of old stuff around as long as it still works.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I should have been tipped off to the crappiness of this cable just by reading the back. They claim it's lined with tin and "platnium." Hehehe.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Ah well. At least you've got it nailed -- definitely a bad cable. Dotted, pink tone out of the composite video? Geez. With your Wii in 480i mode, it will stay that way until you change it so there's no reason why it shouldn't give you a picture out of the s-video connection. Sorry about your luck.

Have you tried one of these two from Monoprice?
  1. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
  2. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

#1 has composite and s-video for $3.33
#2 has s-video only for $3.06

I'll bet they work (at about $5.50 shipped). Monoprice stands behind the quality of their cables with a 21-Day Money Back Guarantee, No Restocking Fee and Life time warranty.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-11-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Actually the Monoprice cable was the one I was trying to replace. Haha. Unfortunately, it suffers from the screendoor checkerboard problem like any other cheaply made s-vid cable.

I went through this same trial and error problem with my old Gamecube. It went through three or four different s-vid cables before settling on the official Nintendo one. That thing is perfect.

The only problem is that it doesn't seem Nintendo sells their Wii s-vid cable here in the US. It's on play-asia but it's not in stock right now.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-12-2009, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
That's odd, I would've thought they were at least carried at their online store. But they're not even listed (Nor do they have the SuperNes/N64/GCN s-video cable).

Should've ordered three of those when I had the chance, but put it off for years.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-12-2009, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

I guess Nintendo must see s-video as like a niche connection. They figure if you have an old tv, then composite is good enough but if you have a new one, then component is the way to go.

Of course they also seem to be opposed to any kind of connection from this millennium, such as HDMI.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page