Best wii hunting game ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-21-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do they make any hunting-fishing type games for the wii besides the cabela's
game ? It isn't rated so well from what I have read.

In fact, what would you guy's say the best 3 to 5 games for the wii are "must buy games"?

john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-21-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm not really your guy for hunting/fishing games, but off the top of my head, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Punch-Out and Excitebots would be the three games I would buy for someone who just got a Wii. Rounding out the list, I'd probably add Wii Sports Resort and Mario Galaxy.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
mario galaxy and mario kart are must buys

i just googled wii hunting and came up with quite a few
http://www.google.com/products?q=wii...ed=0CCcQrQQwAA

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #4 of 19 Old 12-21-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Speaking of this, remember they claimed duck hunt was being made years ago!

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
post #5 of 19 Old 12-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I can give you some input- although the list below might seem to indicate otherwise, I'm not really an avid virtual hunter: I'm a sucker for anything with a light gun. I actually own Target Terror (which proves I'll try anything), plus I own a couple of the Cabela's games and have rented most of the Wii hunting games at one time or another.

My $0.02 (which is about what you should be paying, most of these get cheap FAST at Gamestop and elsewhere):

If you like real world hunting/fishing:

Big Game Hunter I have 2009, and it's pretty good. The first few missions are fairly easy, a good primer to the gameplay (which is nice since there's almost no instruction at all), and although you can spend a good deal of time just wandering around hoping to spot something, there's usually not a lot of downtime. It's about what you'd expect a hunting sim to be, some ridiculously stupid animals, but most don't just run in a pattern and wait to be killed. Plus there's a couple curve balls here and there that'll keep you entertained. There's a reasonable amount of actual weapons and upgrades as well, which keeps it somewhat realistic.

Dangerous Hunts DH plays a lot like the other Cabela's games, but definitely more action-oriented. You'll track/wait/shoot like normal, but each of the missions has a target animal that's suspiciously aggressive and hunting YOU in return. And to add a second dimension to the game, while you're tracking there's tons of other critters that are also quite pissy and ready to attack, so there's rarely a dull moment. A nice twist to the standard hunting game stereotype, if there's a non-hunter you're trying to entice into playing. Oh, and Flint Abrams is my new pr0n name. He's 007 for the hunting crowd... and my official wii-waggle hero.

Bass Pro's The Strike There's no great fishing games. Period. Yeah, the Wii comes closest to real-life fishing, but without tension on the line and the subjective nature of wiimote accelerometers, fishing sims are only gonna be reasonable at best. Having said that, The Strike is reasonably good! Pretty true controls after you figure out the motions, and the graphics aren't bad. As another plus, the upgrades you get throughout the game are very nice. You'll sit for a while from time to time, but overall the game keeps a nice pace. Plus you're in a boat, if you're bored just move!

If you like Arcade hunting/fishing:

Deer Drive. 4 player wholesale arcade deer slaughter. McAwesome. Repetitive and unrealistic, but this game will make you a 12 gauge god

Remington Great American Bird Hunt. Shockingly, this is amazingly good, and as close to a) a true bird + dog hunting sim as you'll ever get and b) that first-time-you-played-it-Cheshire-NES-Duck-Hunt-grin as you'll ever get again. Great game, and the fact that I don't own it yet is only because my buddy got it for Christmas last weekend (family xmas's start earlier every year, don't they?) and I just heard about it. This will literally make you smile from ear to ear if you loved Duck Hunt as a kid. Everyone will like this game; kids, grandma, even Basher

Fishing Master World Tour If you were hoping that SOMEDAY you could roll on E and fish while at a Japananime Rave Up, this would fulfill that wish. FM:WT has boss battles... in a fishing game. And they rock!

No matter what, AVOID these games:

Reel Fishing: Angler's Dream Looks and aplys like a crappy 90's flash game. Or worse.
Wii Hooked! Wii're bored... And the fishing rod that comes with it blocks the wiimote- nice touch. But it does have online play, if you're looking for that while you fish...
Cabela's Trophy Bucks. Bad graphics, bad AI, bad game. Tuck Frophy Bucks.
Hunting Extravaganza. I couldn't even reload, let alone hit something... something that was running in the same circle over and over. And over. This is Cooking Mama for hunting games.
Ultimate Duck Hunting You have to train your dog before you can hunt anything. BEFORE. Didn't even finish the tutorial, went back to Gamefly the same day it arrived.
Shimano Xtreme Fishing Wait, I can be a chick in spandex AND shoot fish jumping out of the water with a bow? Why did you make this PS1 era graphics and sucky gameplay!? Another 1 and out, back to Gamefly.

Hope this helps- and if you're really looking for "must buys" (after Wii sports resort, which I believe I saw in another thread that you've purchsed it already), I agree: Mario Kart for sure (family pleaser), Super Mario Bros Wii or Galaxy (depending on if you want multiplayer, Galaxy is really a 1 player game), Remington Great American Bird Hunt, and for a multiplayer party-type game try Game Party 2. Now, if you want a grown up game, get House of the Dead:Overkill

Oh, and buy the Nyko Charging Station. Your 401(k) will thank me later, when you don't have to short it to buy AA batteries.

-vdz
post #6 of 19 Old 12-22-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Wow. I didn't even know there were that many hunting games on all the systems, let alone just the Wii.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-22-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
WoW !! Thanks voodo. that was very good info. thank you very much.

I like hunting but have never played a hunting-fishing game before. thought it might be fun. my 5yr old loves to fish.

mario cart looks fun. what do you guys think about the zelda game? I have never played video games before much but I have heard of zelda. is it any good ?

thanks again

john.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

let me add another new fav: Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2010. All the same stuff I mentioned above and some really, just absolutely stupid awesome arcade style shooting. The fact that this post's time stamp (I'm on EST, FWIW) is this late is testimony to it's glorious-ness.

Seriously, if a never ending bear holocaust isn't enough to make you pee in lightgun-wielding anticipation, you need to reevaluate your man card status...

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14356...ry_103009.html

And that's only partially as cool as the big cat level...

-vdz
post #9 of 19 Old 01-12-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

let me add another new fav: Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2010. All the same stuff I mentioned above and some really, just absolutely stupid awesome arcade style shooting. The fact that this post's time stamp (I'm on EST, FWIW) is this late is testimony to it's glorious-ness.

Seriously, if a never ending bear holocaust isn't enough to make you pee in lightgun-wielding anticipation, you need to reevaluate your man card status...

And that's only partially as cool as the big cat level...

-vdz

+1

My wife got my Big Game 2010 for Christmas and its really a blast! No pun intended. The bear holocaust burns away stress in one quick 5 minute session. The rest of the game is fairly entertaining so far. Plays great with the Nyko sure shot.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 AM

Sorry for reviving a relatively old thread, but has anyone played Bass Pro The Hunt? I'd never thought about this type of game before but played for a couple minutes at the store yesterday and even the wife wanted to try. Big Game 2010 is more widely and positively reviewed though, so I thought I could get someone's comparison.

Also, is it safe to assume any of the hunting games mentioned in this thread can be played with the same 'gun' accessory (whether bundled with a specific game or purchased separately)?

Thanks!
post #11 of 19 Old 07-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Howdy, hunters. It's your old Uncle Voodoo again, back from the great outdoors with an update for your all woodland-friend massacring needs... Ok, well, um...

I skipped this one.

Not even a small opinion from me tonight. But I'm fairly certain I can help (as usual. No need to let stupid things like 'facts' get in the way of my arrogance!):

Recommendation: get BGH 2010, save yourself time and money. Seriously, you can't go wrong. Game is great, shotgun thingy that comes with the bundle is good, and it's all getting cheaper by the day. It's down to $20 WITH the gun at Cabelas, probably in an attempt to move this one out before 2011 hits.

So unless you find BP:The Hunt at a great deal (or the demo changed your life), it's OK to pass.

And yeah, gun accessories are nearly 100% universally the "Wii zapper" setup. The few that aren't work like your regular wiimote/nunchuck setup, so no changes would be needed. You're safe buying whatever gun shell makes you the happiest hunting machine in the woods...

-vdz

post #12 of 19 Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 AM

Thanks voodoo, I'll keep my eye out for deals. Following the link shows the gun for 20, game and gun combo for 40.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-21-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

And yeah, gun accessories are nearly 100% universally the "Wii zapper" setup. The few that aren't work like your regular wiimote/nunchuck setup, so no changes would be needed. You're safe buying whatever gun shell makes you the happiest hunting machine in the woods...

A lot of folks really dig the Nyko Perfect Shot pistol as a Wii gun shell. Trigger throw is kinda long, but your nunchuk connects to the butt of the handle nicely.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #14 of 19 Old 08-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown13 View Post

Thanks voodoo, I'll keep my eye out for deals. Following the link shows the gun for 20, game and gun combo for 40.

Not sure how long this price is good for, but if you're still in the market, the bundle is now $20 at Amazon (for real this time!)

http://www.amazon.com/Cabelas-Game-H...ref=lh_ni_t_t5

-vdz
post #15 of 19 Old 12-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry to drudge up an old topic but I was just curious if anybody has any insight or recommendations on current Hunting Games on the Wii. There seems to be a lot out there right now, Dangerous Hunts, Big Game Hunter 2011 and 2012. I would want a light gun bundled in and I am not a hunter, just a city slicker looking to do some living room stalking and arcade shooting. I have seen that there seem to be calibration issues with the Top Shot Elite that is bundled in with some of Cabela's games, wondering if that was an issue for any of you who bought these games.

Hat Trick: XBOX 360, PS3, Wii

XBL GT: Osiriis
PSN GT: Poseidon44
post #16 of 19 Old 12-19-2011, 04:56 PM

I don't know about hunting games, but Wii Fishing Resort is awesome. 20 bucks for the game 30 for the game with the rod peripheral
post #17 of 19 Old 12-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikzilver View Post

Sorry to drudge up an old topic but I was just curious if anybody has any insight or recommendations on current Hunting Games on the Wii. There seems to be a lot out there right now, Dangerous Hunts, Big Game Hunter 2011 and 2012. I would want a light gun bundled in and I am not a hunter, just a city slicker looking to do some living room stalking and arcade shooting. I have seen that there seem to be calibration issues with the Top Shot Elite that is bundled in with some of Cabela's games, wondering if that was an issue for any of you who bought these games.

Are you sure you're not seeing reviews of the PS360 version? Those have a totally different peripheral and sensor. Top Shot for Wii is essentially a manlier, orange Wii Zapper. Just calibrate using the in-game menu, no other interface needed.

I assembled and used one at my in-law's without any issues. It's about 10 minutes to assemble... winding cords around like spaghetti is part of the fun! No worse than my Sure shot, though.

[EDIT]Ah, dug around on Amazon- looks as though BGH 2012 is the main driver of those complaints. Sounds like the developer messed up and made the calibration menu too complicated, which to me says "save your time and money and buy 2011"
post #18 of 19 Old 01-06-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill G 1960 View Post

I don't know about hunting games, but Wii Fishing Resort is awesome. 20 bucks for the game 30 for the game with the rod peripheral

I have to second this sentiment. Best fishing game I have ever played by far. Its quite addicting, I often find myself having a a hard time quitting. I can sit down and play for hours, which doesn't happen with any game very often for me. If you haven't tried it, do it.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

I have an update:

Remington Super Slam Hunting: Africa is awesome. It is also $8 on Amazon.

That is all.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page