Dragon's Lair - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just downloaded Dragon's Lair for the DSi... Has anyone else tried this? I am really liking it. It feels just like the original arcade version to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-22-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Needs a WiiWare version.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #3 of 9 Old 12-25-2009, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
It looks really cool. I keep thinking of that massive arcade machine shrunk down to the DS. I wished there was a better mame for the DS.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.i4u.com/article37016.html

Drangon's Lair is now coming to the Wii as a retail disc this fall. Will also include the sequel & the sorta "three-quel" Space Ace. Will apparently retail for around $30.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #5 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

http://www.i4u.com/article37016.html

Drangon's Lair is now coming to the Wii as a retail disc this fall. Will also include the sequel & the sorta "three-quel" Space Ace. Will apparently retail for around $30.

NoooooooooooooooOOooo! And I wasted all that allowance back in... um, the way back!

I couldn't believe it when Mad Dog McCree hit the Wii, but now that Dragon's Lair is coming, I've basically only got "The Simpsons" as my favorite quarter-muncher left un-reinstated... this might be the hardest game ever, all shite memorization and luck. Good to hear I get the chance to beat it finally. For those that haven't played the Dragon's Lair game(s), you'll die on the bridge. The FIRST bridge. Ten seconds in. Ha ha ha ha ha, funny... Oh, QTE, you made a lousy mistress back in the 80's. I also heard years later that the whole game is like 15 minutes total. That makes it around cost $700,000 an hour if you add up all the quarters I burned as a kid!

I can't imagine this game being as good as the arcade, tho. Some things translate well, others.... not so much. Where's the tension of holding your sweaty palms on the joystick just praying you were ready for the next cockamamie event to load up on you completely unexpectedly and without warning?

Seriously (WARNING: incoming near-geriatric age exposition ahead), I remember standing at the arcade wasting dollar after dollar to play these games in my youth. I honestly thought it was the most amazing 'graphics' I'd ever see in a video game, only to find out years later that it was all laser disc. LOL! I saw one of the originals in the shop when I bought an arcade cabinet from a few years back, they wanted $2K for it then... wonder if this will lower the value on those games now. They're still hard to come by in reasonable shape.

-Antique Zen

BTW, Space Ace is crap. I blame a) Heavy Metal, you terrible coke-fueled waste of a cartoon and b) profit junkies.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I loved the XMEN game that was pretty much the same as the Simpsons 4 player. I've got it via MAME on homebrew, but the emulator is one player only, which defeats the purpose entirely.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #7 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

NoooooooooooooooOOooo! And I wasted all that allowance back in... um, the way back!

I couldn't believe it when Mad Dog McCree hit the Wii, but now that Dragon's Lair is coming, I've basically only got "The Simpsons" as my favorite quarter-muncher left un-reinstated... this might be the hardest game ever, all shite memorization and luck. Good to hear I get the chance to beat it finally. For those that haven't played the Dragon's Lair game(s), you'll die on the bridge. The FIRST bridge. Ten seconds in. Ha ha ha ha ha, funny... Oh, QTE, you made a lousy mistress back in the 80's. I also heard years later that the whole game is like 15 minutes total. That makes it around cost $700,000 an hour if you add up all the quarters I burned as a kid!

I can't imagine this game being as good as the arcade, tho. Some things translate well, others.... not so much. Where's the tension of holding your sweaty palms on the joystick just praying you were ready for the next cockamamie event to load up on you completely unexpectedly and without warning?

Seriously (WARNING: incoming near-geriatric age exposition ahead), I remember standing at the arcade wasting dollar after dollar to play these games in my youth. I honestly thought it was the most amazing 'graphics' I'd ever see in a video game, only to find out years later that it was all laser disc. LOL! I saw one of the originals in the shop when I bought an arcade cabinet from a few years back, they wanted $2K for it then... wonder if this will lower the value on those games now. They're still hard to come by in reasonable shape.

-Antique Zen

BTW, Space Ace is crap. I blame a) Heavy Metal, you terrible coke-fueled waste of a cartoon and b) profit junkies.

Maybe they'll give it Classic/GameCube compatibility for controls. In my case, the old TvsC fightstick will give me some old school arcade feel.

post #8 of 9 Old 08-09-2010, 09:48 AM

Liked: 21
There was a laser disc game like Dragon's Lair called Super Don Quixote. Never did see the end of that game. I'm sure I could look it up on Youtube.

Consider the unparalleled advantage, of a natural disaster that's impossible to manage.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-09-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Ol' Dirk The Daring is coming to the Wii. Too cool. I have this game on my iPhone. For .99 it's worth it for the nostalgia alone.

If I recall back in my misspent youth at the arcade, Dragon's Lair was one of the first games to up the ante to .50 a game from a quarter. Man, I kept the Don Bluth studios flush.

Growing Older But Not Up
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page