Thinking about a Wii Purchase: Couple of questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi All: I own am XBOX 360 & I'm pretty happy with it. I'm really a strategy PC gamer @ heart. Anyway...I was over @ a friends house & he purchased a Wii for is kid. I had a blast playing bowling that came with the Wii. I'm thinking about buying one. I'm really interested in Wii's "Virtual Consloe Games" I owned a NES & SNES back in the day. I'm a tad disappointed @ there isn't as many games as I thought. I was expecting like 200+ titles for the SNES alone.

I understand now that Wii can accept a larger SanDisk card over 2GB now with sometype of update (4.0???) If I'm really just downloading the Virtual Games from Nintendo, do I need anything bigger then 2GB? I mean...I can buy a 8GB SanDisk from my work @ cost (I work for an office supply company) for next to nothing. Should I hold out until the Wii II comes along in another year or so? The thing is, I have $60.00 in Best Buy rewards points & I thought I would just put that towards the Wii purchase price.

I think I stick with my XBOX 360 for FPS shooter games. Also...Will Nintendo expand the Virtual Console Games in the future?

Thanks all for any & all insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
"Should I hold out until the Wii II comes along in another year or so?"

The Wii has had a single, solitary price drop in the more than 3 years it has been available. Classically, there is still the $179, $149, and $129 price points to hit before the next version comes out. We are still several years away from the next Wii.

As to the 4.0+ update? It's free, and is easily acquired as soon as you hook your Wii up to the internet.

As for 2GB? If you are only going to get older console games, then the 256MB of user accessible internal storage will be just fine. NES games maxes out at 512KB in size, with SNES games peaking at 2MB, and N64 games mostly being 16MB with a very few that were 32-64MB. Once you start buying WiiWare (like the 360's Xbox Live Arcade), then more storage becomes quite necessary. In short, don't bother with a card until you need one, then just by an 8GB one and call it good.

New Virtual Console and WiiWare games are released on a weekly basis. It makes it so that there is always something new and exciting coming out, making you revisit the Wii.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Agree w/ darklordjames completely - except that Wii internal memory is 512MB, not 256.

But yeah - at the most, maybe a 2GB card (they are cheap). I use a 16GB SDHC card in mine, but that is due to all the Guitar Hero & Beatles DLC I have in addition to the WiiWare/VC stuff & I have a separate 4GB reserved strictly for Rock Band 2 tracks. BUt you can very likely cram a lot of NES/SNES stuff onto the Wii itself w/o a card.

And you may now this already, but for most any Virtual Console title of games SNES & beyond, you will need to use either the Classic or a GameCube controller. NES & Genesis games work w/ the sideways-held Wiimote.

And it's not a VC game, but a $50 disc - but if you dig old school Nintendo, I suggest grabbing New Super Mario Bros Wii along w/ the console itself. A must own for fans of that era of gaming.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #4 of 13 Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Darklord & JWebb: Thanks for your replies! I really appreciate it! I'm aware of the Nintendo "classic" remote ($19.99) Looks like I'll head to Best Buy tomorrow & pick-up the console & classic remote. As for the SD card, my cost from work is $9.92 for the 8GB model, so I might as well pull the trigger on that, even though it's overkill.

I'll try the NES Mario from the Virtual Console 1st. $50.00 for the latest is a fairly big hit. I bought some Monoprice component cable for a whopping $3.68 to get 480P. Kind of bummed that there is no optical cable Dolby Digital sound. When you add the Wii up after a few upgrades, it's really not a great deal vs. XBOX 360 or better yet, the PS3. Still...It has it's appeal with the remote etc. For me...It's playing the old games!

Another thing...2000 Wii points cost $19.99 & a typical SNS VC game uses 800 points, so you're paying appx. $8.00 per game. Again...Pretty expensive. I'm going to dive in. I'm chime back & let you know how it's going for me & the Wii.

Thanks Again!

Alex
post #5 of 13 Old 01-07-2010, 02:07 PM

"except that Wii internal memory is 512MB, not 256."

I said "256MB of user accessible internal storage". Half of the internal storage is reserved for system use. Only 256MB of it is available to the consumer. If you want to correct me, then you damn well better know what you're talking about.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

I said "256MB of user accessible internal storage". Half of the internal storage is reserved for system use. Only 256MB of it is available to the consumer. If you want to correct me, then you damn well better know what you're talking about.

james chill man. i have known you and had you on my xbl friends list for awhile. i also know jwebb and he meant nothing by it.
he just loves the wii as much as you do.....

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

post #7 of 13 Old 01-07-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

While I'm aware a portion of that half gig of internal memory is reserved and isn't available for content storage purposes, I've never seen the size of it actually being mentioned before.

May I ask what your source is for that statement? I'm not doubting that it's true, but I am curious.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM

My source? My brain and mathematics. Look at my report on this forum from launch day, where I copy VC title to an SD card to math out how big a block is and therefore how much user space there is.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i assumed it was more a case of a typo or brain fart on your end - wasn't trying to snidely correct you.

Jesus...

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #10 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Guys....I picked up the Wii last night & drove to New Hampshire (20 miles away & tax free!) Purchased 2 "Motion Plus" remotes, Classic Contoller, 8GB Sandisk Memory Card, & 2 2000 Wii Points. My Monoprice component cables & remote charger came in today! I'll set it up tomorrow (Bengels/Jets on @ 4:00PM today) The NFL always comes before gaming!

BTW...If any of you are Best Buy rewards members, they are having a 10% off Wii games & accessories from Jan. 8th-11th. Saved myself like another $20.00. Also...Broke down & purchased New Super Mario Bros. (Thanks JWebb!) but again got 10% off (yeah...I'm a cheap-skate) Like an idiot I forgot to purchased the Nunchuk controller (oh well....I'll pick it up next time)

The Wii gets a tad pricey after all the accessories! I'm really pump to playing Bowling & some of the old classic Virtual Games! Thanks for everyone's help!
post #11 of 13 Old 01-11-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSTON-HD View Post

Guys....I picked up the Wii last night & drove to New Hampshire (20 miles away & tax free!) Purchased 2 "Motion Plus" remotes, Classic Contoller, 8GB Sandisk Memory Card, & 2 2000 Wii Points. My Monoprice component cables & remote charger came in today! I'll set it up tomorrow (Bengels/Jets on @ 4:00PM today) The NFL always comes before gaming!

BTW...If any of you are Best Buy rewards members, they are having a 10% off Wii games & accessories from Jan. 8th-11th. Saved myself like another $20.00. Also...Broke down & purchased New Super Mario Bros. (Thanks JWebb!) but again got 10% off (yeah...I'm a cheap-skate) Like an idiot I forgot to purchased the Nunchuk controller (oh well....I'll pick it up next time)

The Wii gets a tad pricey after all the accessories! I'm really pump to playing Bowling & some of the old classic Virtual Games! Thanks for everyone's help!

I noticed over the weekend @ a local Target that they still had several copies of PunchOut! in stock w/ packed in nunchuks. IIRC, this was a Target exclusive - and is a killer game for those w/ a special place in their hearts for Little Mac from back in the NES/Mike Tyson's PunchOut! days.

Not a bad way to grab another 'chuk - and a way better game that Wii Play & it's packed in Wiimote.

post #12 of 13 Old 01-12-2010, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Jwebb: Thanks for the heads-up. Stopped-in @ my local Target & picked up PunchOut with the Nunchuk contoller for $39.99! Many thanks!!!! They had a few left over (like 4) in Danvers, MA. location.

I'm digging the Wii. Have played a TON of bowling that came with the Wii. Does anyone know if there is a better "bowling" Wii game out there?
post #13 of 13 Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSTON-HD View Post

Jwebb: Thanks for the heads-up. Stopped-in @ my local Target & picked up PunchOut with the Nunchuk contoller for $39.99! Many thanks!!!! They had a few left over (like 4) in Danvers, MA. location.

I'm digging the Wii. Have played a TON of bowling that came with the Wii. Does anyone know if there is a better "bowling" Wii game out there?

Only one I've encountered is the expanded bowling in Wii Sports Resort.

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page