Laser cleaner for Wii? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-12-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
thebard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My console has been getting increasingly unreliable in reading the game discs. I have one of those "laser cleaning" CDs (the kind with the little brushes on it) for use with DVD players, etc.

Does anyone know if it's safe to use with the Wii? I'm a little concerned because the loader is so narrow. I realize it wouldn't play, but all it should need to do is spin up for the brushes to work.

Thoughts?
thebard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,402
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Not sure, though if you're out of warranty and not afraid to open up your system, you might want to adjust the potentiometer controlling the laser a bit.

If you're in warranty, I'd bet Nintendo would take care of this. Just say something like "it's not playing Super Smash Bros Brawl" or "Metroid Prime Trilogy" (both dual layer discs that have been known to cause issues for the Wii laser) and they should let you send it in.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is online now  
post #3 of 9 Old 02-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
LR6AGB001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

My console has been getting increasingly unreliable in reading the game discs. I have one of those "laser cleaning" CDs (the kind with the little brushes on it) for use with DVD players, etc.

Does anyone know if it's safe to use with the Wii? I'm a little concerned because the loader is so narrow. I realize it wouldn't play, but all it should need to do is spin up for the brushes to work.

Thoughts?

Give this a try.
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...r-70-2zw3.html
LR6AGB001 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 02-13-2010, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As far as the prime trilogy, I still haven't popped that in. Wondering how my laser works.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 02-13-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Don't use a regular DVD/"game console" lens cleaner disc, as the Wii will not recognize it as anything playable & no cleaning will really happen.

Get the official Nintendo Wii cleaning kit - runs around $10. It's not a disc at all, although it does go in the slot - actually a manual cleaner - you move the handle that protrudes out of the disc slot, which causes the cleaner brush (which you treat w/ solution) to clean the lens area.

I had the problem of MP Trilogy being unreadable at one point - being a dual layer disc (like Brawl), a dirty Wii lens has problems w/ it. Cleaned mine 1 time w/ the kit (brush came out rather dirty - was the 1st time I had attempted cleaning the lens since buying the Wii in 2008) & MP Trilogy has worked like a charm ever since.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 02-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
moothemagiccow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR6AGB001 View Post

Give this a try.
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...r-70-2zw3.html

Same thing on amazon for cheaper ($10)
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Lens-Clean.../dp/B001GZT1UI

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

moothemagiccow is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 02-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
kciaccio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pearland TX
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Don't use a regular DVD/"game console" lens cleaner disc, as the Wii will not recognize it as anything playable & no cleaning will really happen.

Get the official Nintendo Wii cleaning kit - runs around $10. It's not a disc at all, although it does go in the slot - actually a manual cleaner - you move the handle that protrudes out of the disc slot, which causes the cleaner brush (which you treat w/ solution) to clean the lens area.

I had the problem of MP Trilogy being unreadable at one point - being a dual layer disc (like Brawl), a dirty Wii lens has problems w/ it. Cleaned mine 1 time w/ the kit (brush came out rather dirty - was the 1st time I had attempted cleaning the lens since buying the Wii in 2008) & MP Trilogy has worked like a charm ever since.

What happens if you get the online app that lets the WII play dvds?
kciaccio is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 02-13-2010, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kciaccio View Post

What happens if you get the online app that lets the WII play dvds?

Not sure - but it's conceivable that the homebrew apps for DVD playback would allow for a normal lens cleaner to be used. If you have that set up & have a lens cleaner disc on hand, it's worth a shot. If not, the $10 Nintendo kit is the way to go.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 02-15-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
thebard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks, all, I will give the cleaning kit a try.
thebard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Nintendo



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off