Laser cleaner for Wii? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-12-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My console has been getting increasingly unreliable in reading the game discs. I have one of those "laser cleaning" CDs (the kind with the little brushes on it) for use with DVD players, etc.

Does anyone know if it's safe to use with the Wii? I'm a little concerned because the loader is so narrow. I realize it wouldn't play, but all it should need to do is spin up for the brushes to work.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Not sure, though if you're out of warranty and not afraid to open up your system, you might want to adjust the potentiometer controlling the laser a bit.

If you're in warranty, I'd bet Nintendo would take care of this. Just say something like "it's not playing Super Smash Bros Brawl" or "Metroid Prime Trilogy" (both dual layer discs that have been known to cause issues for the Wii laser) and they should let you send it in.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #3 of 9 Old 02-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

My console has been getting increasingly unreliable in reading the game discs. I have one of those "laser cleaning" CDs (the kind with the little brushes on it) for use with DVD players, etc.

Does anyone know if it's safe to use with the Wii? I'm a little concerned because the loader is so narrow. I realize it wouldn't play, but all it should need to do is spin up for the brushes to work.

Thoughts?

Give this a try.
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...r-70-2zw3.html
post #4 of 9 Old 02-13-2010, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As far as the prime trilogy, I still haven't popped that in. Wondering how my laser works.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
post #5 of 9 Old 02-13-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Don't use a regular DVD/"game console" lens cleaner disc, as the Wii will not recognize it as anything playable & no cleaning will really happen.

Get the official Nintendo Wii cleaning kit - runs around $10. It's not a disc at all, although it does go in the slot - actually a manual cleaner - you move the handle that protrudes out of the disc slot, which causes the cleaner brush (which you treat w/ solution) to clean the lens area.

I had the problem of MP Trilogy being unreadable at one point - being a dual layer disc (like Brawl), a dirty Wii lens has problems w/ it. Cleaned mine 1 time w/ the kit (brush came out rather dirty - was the 1st time I had attempted cleaning the lens since buying the Wii in 2008) & MP Trilogy has worked like a charm ever since.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #6 of 9 Old 02-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR6AGB001 View Post

Give this a try.
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...r-70-2zw3.html

Same thing on amazon for cheaper ($10)
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Lens-Clean.../dp/B001GZT1UI

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #7 of 9 Old 02-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Don't use a regular DVD/"game console" lens cleaner disc, as the Wii will not recognize it as anything playable & no cleaning will really happen.

Get the official Nintendo Wii cleaning kit - runs around $10. It's not a disc at all, although it does go in the slot - actually a manual cleaner - you move the handle that protrudes out of the disc slot, which causes the cleaner brush (which you treat w/ solution) to clean the lens area.

I had the problem of MP Trilogy being unreadable at one point - being a dual layer disc (like Brawl), a dirty Wii lens has problems w/ it. Cleaned mine 1 time w/ the kit (brush came out rather dirty - was the 1st time I had attempted cleaning the lens since buying the Wii in 2008) & MP Trilogy has worked like a charm ever since.

What happens if you get the online app that lets the WII play dvds?
post #8 of 9 Old 02-13-2010, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kciaccio View Post

What happens if you get the online app that lets the WII play dvds?

Not sure - but it's conceivable that the homebrew apps for DVD playback would allow for a normal lens cleaner to be used. If you have that set up & have a lens cleaner disc on hand, it's worth a shot. If not, the $10 Nintendo kit is the way to go.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #9 of 9 Old 02-15-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks, all, I will give the cleaning kit a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo