My Wii plays GameCube games fine, but Wii games get errors often... ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Ok, maybe I got scammed. Last weekend I bought a used Wii off Craigslist. I was able to get it really cheap, but it didn't come with "ANY" games, and also didn't have the nunchuk. So, when I brought it home, I didn't have a single Wii game to try in it. I did try a bunch of GameCube games, and they all played perfectly. So, I really didn't think anything of it. Then, a couple of days later, I ended up buying Wii Sports and Wii Play from a dude on Craigslist. Got both for $18. Played both games on the Wii, and at first, they seemed to work perfectly fine. But then, I started getting these errors, where the Wii would tell me to eject the disk, turn off the Wii, and check the owners manual or something like that.

So, I would eject the disk, turn off the Wii, and try again. Sometimes the games would work, sometimes they wouldn't. Then just last nite, I got Super Mario Galaxy from some dude off Craigslist for $16. Tried that in the Wii, and couldn't get it to play at all. Same error messages.

Whenever I try a GameCube game, it works flawlessly (at least it seems to), but with Wii games, I'm getting these repeated error messages. The system is no longer in it's warranty period, and I'm not the original owner anyways, so I don't have receipt or proof of purchase or anything like that. I only payed $90 for the Wii, but I'm still pretty disappointed. Tonight, I also scored a second Wii-mote, and my first nunchuk for $35. ($25 for Wii-Mote, $10 for Nunchuk).

Wii system (all hookups, but only one wii-mote, no nunchuk, no Wii Sports) - $90
Wii Sports - $8
Wii Play - $10
Super Mario Galaxy - $18
Extra Wii-Mote - $25
first nun-chuk - $10
Wii Component cables from monoprice x 3 = $21

Grand Total = $182

So far, I've invested $182 into this thing, and I probably could track down the guy that I bought the Wii from, and get my $90 back, but then I'm back at square 1 trying to get a Wii again, and I would still have all these extra accessories and stuff.

Considering the fact that this Wii is having trouble playing all 3 Wii games, but plays GameCube games perfectly, I'm thinking that it must be some type of problem with the laser or something. Are there two seperate lasers in the Wii? One for GameCube games, and one for Wii games? I'm not sure what I should do exactly. I thought about trying a laser lens cleaner or something like that, but not sure it would work. Do Wii's play audio CD's ? I think the laser lens cleaner thing works with any audio cd player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Ever had a car stereo or a portable CD player? Remember how when they started to fail, it would be the last track of your audio CD that would start stuttering/stop before any other track? CD/DVD's are not perfectly flat. As such, when the reader is a bit out of spec, the center of the disc is easier to read than the outside of the disc due to greater wobble the further you get from the hub. Gamecube games work perfectly because they are physically smaller in diameter, whereas your Wii games are failing as the rotational wobble is too great in combination with the out of spec laser.

You got scammed. The Wii was $90 for a reason. One would think that such a cheap price would trigger some sort of "too cheap to be functional" sensor, but apparently not. You can probably send it in to Nintendo and get it swapped for a refurb for $100, but then you are at the exact same $200 that a new system would have just cost you in the first place.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
The lesson? Don't buy used game consoles from some random off of Craigslist - if "less than new" price was paramount, should have bought a used/refurb Wii from GameStop. At least with those, if they come home defective, GS will let you return it for a replacement/refund.

Education can be expensive.

That said - as to the OP's lens cleaning question - no, CD/DVD lens cleaning discs will not work - the Wii won't know what to do w/ them. Nintendo's own lens cleaning Kit for Wii runs around $10 & might help.

$182 for all you got was a good price - had everything worked. Had you gone "new", you would have likely spent:

$199 - Wii (incl. Wii Sports, 1 Wiimote, 1 nunchuk, sensor bar, basic AV cables)

$50 Wii Play (2nd Wiimote incl)

$40-50 PunchOut!! (great game + Target is still selling the game w/ a free Nunchuk packed in. Price has fluctuated btwn $40-$50)

+/- $10 - ONE set of Monoprice component cables.

Ths is one hypothetical setup. Yes, it's $118-$128 more - but it would all be new. New Wii, new game discs, new WARRANTY.

Of course, with Wiis being in short supply since XMAS - the above hypothetical setup might be hard to find these days.

I do believe that the option darklordjames mentioned - getting an RMA from NIntendo & sending it in to repair - would run around $100, including shipping. The Wii you get back will likely carry a new warranty as well (it will not be your Wii, but a refurb that comes back). May be worth a shot.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #4 of 6 Old 02-21-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Well, I was telling a friend of mine about the predicament I'm in with this Wii having a crapped out laser, and he explained that I should softmod it, and just put my games on a USB thumb stick.

I decided it would be worth a try, so I went thru the whole softmodding process, and put my 3 games onto the thumb stick. Everything works perfectly! Obviously, I could copy tons of illegal games onto the thumbstick if I wanted to, but I'm only going to copy games that I actually own. I'm not sure if playing my games like this is actually technically legal, but from a moral standpoint I feel like I'm not doing anything wrong since I own the games and have them sitting on the shelf.

This just seems like the easiest way to get around the messed up laser. Also, the side benefit is that I can have all my games on the thumbstick, and not have to swap disks everytime I want to play a different game. So it's pretty cool from that standpoint. The only issue I might run into, is that a new game is released, and I go and buy the retail copy, but then somehow I'm not able to get it onto the thumbstick and play it from there. I guess I'll just cross that bridge when I get there.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-21-2010, 02:36 PM

Liked: 10
This is the same thing our Wii did. It wound up costing $80 to have Nintendo repair the laser. It was literally 1 week out of warranty when it happened.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-21-2010, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I've been so lucky with my consoles. Well of course the NES consoles would act up often, but since then I've owned all nintendo consoles, a genesis, a saturn and the only time one stopped working was one gamecube. Actually out of ALL electronics I;ve ever bought the only things to really stop totally working were that 1 gamecube and 1 vcr.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page