Wii to receiver, please help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-13-2010, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please help me connect Wii to AV receiver.
Wii with component cables (all in one audio and video component).
Onkyo TX-SR506.

Before, I went directly to the plasma TV with composite cable only.

Now, I want better picture and audio so I purchased component cable for Wii. I really could use some help as previous connection is unplugged and kids are growing impatient.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-13-2010, 03:12 PM

I dont know if you got an answer to this but its pretty simple. The cables are color coded, and so are the inputs on the receiver. Just match the colored cables and you have it hooked to the receiver. Now you probably need another set of component cables to go from your receiver to your tv. I'm pretty sure onkyo stereos have to use the same outputs as inputs.

Hope that helps.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-13-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

I was hoping to avoid another cable from receiver to plasma.
Currently, I have HDMI cable from receiver to plasma.
Can't I just use component cable from Wii to receiver?
If so, I need help with how to assign both audio and video.

Thanks in advance!
post #4 of 10 Old 03-13-2010, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Willy Z,

If you look at the Specs @ Onkyo, it looks like the 506 does NOT do Analog to HDMI upconversion. That is the functionality you need. Models like the 707 DO support that.

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=f
post #5 of 10 Old 03-13-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry... I really don't understand exactly what that means.
Before, I used standard Wii composite cable directly from Wii to plasma.
Now, I just purchased a component cable and was wondering if I can avoid connection from Wii to plasma and connect through receiver.
Is this possible and if so, could someone please walk me through the connection?
Thank you!
post #6 of 10 Old 03-14-2010, 08:59 PM

you will not be able to do that because your receiver lacks the ability to convert the analog signal that's coming from the wii to a digital signal and send it over the HDMI cable to your plasma. you can either:

1. connect the wii directly to the plasma as you had it before
2. connect the component video cables directly to the TV and the audio cables to the receiver
3. connect the wii directly to the receiver and run another set of component cables to your TV for video. not really worth the extra cost IMHO.
4. upgrade your receiver to one that does analog to HDMI upconversion.
5. do you have a variable output on your TV? maybe you could use that to get sound to your receiver.

if i were you, i'd try #2. you may have issues reaching the receiver depending on how your system is setup, but you should be able to get a simple female to female coupler and add another set of RCA jacks on the end to reach your receiver.

XBL - bluesigma1914
PSN - bluesigma
post #7 of 10 Old 08-18-2010, 10:46 AM

Hi,

I am trying to hook up a new Wii to a Panny Plasma display (not HDTV - just display without tuner or speakers) and also run the audio through a 10 year old Yamaha AVR.

I would like to do the recommendation #2 noted above - video direct to the Panny and audio to the AVR.

I bought a cable set that will allow me to do this but here is the thing - the component cable wires (3) and audio wires (2) are all bundled together so I can't reach the video IN jack on the Panny and the audio IN jack on the Yamaha.

Is there a split cable I can buy that allows me to reach both devices?

Thanks!
Dave
post #8 of 10 Old 08-19-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSFleak View Post

Hi,

I am trying to hook up a new Wii to a Panny Plasma display (not HDTV - just display without tuner or speakers) and also run the audio through a 10 year old Yamaha AVR.

I would like to do the recommendation #2 noted above - video direct to the Panny and audio to the AVR.

I bought a cable set that will allow me to do this but here is the thing - the component cable wires (3) and audio wires (2) are all bundled together so I can't reach the video IN jack on the Panny and the audio IN jack on the Yamaha.

Is there a split cable I can buy that allows me to reach both devices?

Thanks!
Dave

Hi Dave, they make coupler (or jack to jack) for component extension. Go to monoprice.com or you should be able to find these at radio shack and any audio stores.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-01-2010, 07:16 PM

I am having some of the same connectoin issus . I too have the component all in on cable for my wii. I have the video squared away but can'y seem to get the audio right. Also my xbox 360 is the same. I'm sure my receiver upconverts so that should not be an issue like with the other guy. i have got audio but not on the same input as my video. HELP! Oh yeah i have a mits 737 and the yamaha rxa700. Thanks in advance.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-02-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock205 View Post

I am having some of the same connectoin issus . I too have the component all in on cable for my wii. I have the video squared away but can'y seem to get the audio right. Also my xbox 360 is the same. I'm sure my receiver upconverts so that should not be an issue like with the other guy. i have got audio but not on the same input as my video. HELP! Oh yeah i have a mits 737 and the yamaha rxa700. Thanks in advance.

Hi krock205, did you assign your audio to the video input? (see page 72-74)

Connect Xbox 360 component video cables and optical cable to "AV-1" terminals. Then go into Input setup screen.
- first select AV-1 for video and scroll down to "Audio In" and select Optical Audio Input "AV-1"

Connect Wii component video cables to "AV-2" and RCA audio cables (white & red) to "Audio-1" terminals. Then go into Input setup screen.
- first select AV-2 for video and scroll down to "Audio In" and select Analog Audio Input "Audio-1".
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page