post #1 of 5 Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Using this:
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Charge-Sta.../dp/B000LFJNF2

Seems one of my batteries no longer charges / holds a charge. it's about 2 years old, this charger station/batteries. Do they die out after a while? If so, any recommendations for good charging unit / recharger for wii?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-21-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have the nyko charging unit and one of the batteries died within a couple months, and the other one does not hold a charge like it use to, to me it was not worth it I regret purchasing it since I already own plenty of rechargeable ones. So, I suggest buying rechargeable AA's, they will last you longer than the nyko ones, and you can replace on the fly as you need them and not have to charge the whole controller like the nyko system.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #3 of 5 Old 03-21-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Yeah, rechargeable batteries just die out after (hopefully) a while.

My first Wii recharger's batteries were dying out, so when I saw a good deal on the MadCatz one I have now, I got it. Unfortunately, retail price is something like $40, at the time though I got it for $15.

It's not the greatest, as it uses NiMH batteries, as opposed to the better Li-Ion ones, but what I like about it is that it's inductive, so it'll work with the sleeves on for the times I'm with family with young kids, and it also works with or without the MotionPlus.

I can see the argument for rechargeable AAs. They'll probably last longer, and they're cheaper, especially if you already have a good charger for them.

However, I just find it more convenient to have a dedicated charger. I've got rechargeable AAs that I use in a number of things, but it's a pain if I have to take out the batteries from inside the remotes and charge them, when I really already wanted to be playing. And then if you have the sleeves on, you have to take them off to take out the batteries and put them back in, and I just find having a cheap set of Wii-specific batteries easier.

And since it's just a cheap set, I don't worry about doing a full discharge-charge cycle like you're supposed to do with NiMH batteries, and put them on the charger whenever I'm done. With my good Eneloop AAs, I'd rather not do that.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #4 of 5 Old 03-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Most all rechargeable batteries on the market today have a "memory" it is best to not allow them to become fully discharges and to recharge at different levels of discharge.... rotate / change the amount of play time between recharge ....and the batteries will last longer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect
post #5 of 5 Old 03-22-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEC View Post

Most all rechargeable batteries on the market today have a "memory" it is best to not allow them to become fully discharges and to recharge at different levels of discharge.... rotate / change the amount of play time between recharge ....and the batteries will last longer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect

To clarify, that's only with NiMH (nickel-metal hydride) batteries as I was implying, and not the better Li-Ion (lithium ion) battieries.

Lithium ion batteries on the other hand work better if frequently topped off.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page