Wode - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-11-2010, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Since this forum is supposed to be about home theater gaming and not just gaming in general, I thought it might be proper to have a thread to discuss the Wii Optical Disc Emulator (WODE).

It allows one to run games off of any storage device, not just the built-in DVD drive. This allows for great use in a home theater so that you do not have to keep media around. It works like a game jukebox. Upcoming firmware will allow one to even store games on a NAS to allow centralizing your games with your other media.

Other WODE owners, please discuss your thoughts and new advances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-11-2010, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 128
This is really a gray area for discussion in this forum, so I wouldn't be surprised if this gets deleted.

That being said, I personally find the device to be a waste of money. 99% of what it does can be done nowadays via soft-mods.

I'm currently running all of my purchased Wii games off of a USB drive (again, games that I bought and own) because I do agree that it is much more convenient.

The only thing that the WODE does that you can't do via a softmod is play GameCube games off of a USB drive.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #3 of 11 Old 04-11-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Eh why would it be deleted?

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
post #4 of 11 Old 04-11-2010, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

Eh why would it be deleted?

The copy/backup of Wii games onto an ext drive skirts the oft-forbidden homebrew/console hacking areas.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #5 of 11 Old 04-11-2010, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

This is really a gray area for discussion in this forum, so I wouldn't be surprised if this gets deleted.

That being said, I personally find the device to be a waste of money. 99% of what it does can be done nowadays via soft-mods.

I'm currently running all of my purchased Wii games off of a USB drive (again, games that I bought and own) because I do agree that it is much more convenient.

The only thing that the WODE does that you can't do via a softmod is play GameCube games off of a USB drive.

You may wish to read a little more in depth about this device
post #6 of 11 Old 04-11-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

You may wish to read a little more in depth about this device

Well let's see. From the product's home page, with my responses in bold:

Quote:

- Play Wii & GC game ISOs direct from USB Mass Storage devices @8X read speed (HDD and FLASH drive) - Softmods can play Wii from USB mass storage, not GC
- Complete Solder free install solution Obviously a softmod is only software, so it's solder free
- Easy to use GUI - LCD & Joystick - NO homebrew software required (no any update of console SO can block this device) The GUI also requires that you either need to use a GameCube- based menu. You can either run the GameCube menu, which requires you to connect a GameCube controller, or you have to physically get up and use the joystick to access games
- Region hack, Update blocker, Autoboot. All possible via Priiloader
- Passthrough with FLAT-MOD mode built-in, play your DVD-R Wii & GC backups and Imports @3X read speed Possible with cIOSCORP, though if you're using games off USB I can't understand the need for disc backups
- Powerful ARM9 MCU Entirely unnecessary with a softmod
- Totally Flexible Linux Kernel This is talking about the software the device is running on, which is unnecessary with a softmod. You can boot Linux via a softmod though.
- USB hub support for multiple USB devices connection You got me there, you'd have to buy a separate $5 hub with a softmod

- Great File System support - use existing WBFS formatted media or 'drag and drop' ISOs to existing USB devices
* NTFS
* WBFS
* EXT3FS
* HPFS

Softmods allow reading from NTFS, and read/write to FAT32 and WBFS.

- Future updates will bring more cool features:
* Disc ripping to WBFS Already possible with a softmod
* USB WiFi & SAMBA streaming

So basically, besides what I already mentioned, no GC USB loading with a softmod, the only feature not possible with a softmod at the moment is the USB/Wifi/SMB streaming of games, but that's not possible on the WODE yet either.

Also, with WODE, the whole setup is dependent on a flimsy ribbon cable from the inside of the Wii to the WODE base.

post #7 of 11 Old 04-11-2010, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

The copy/backup of Wii games onto an ext drive skirts the oft-forbidden homebrew/console hacking areas.

And? All of you keep posting about having the homebrew channel over and over and the topics never get deleted.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
post #8 of 11 Old 04-12-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

And? All of you keep posting about having the homebrew channel over and over and the topics never get deleted.

Using homebrew is considered "hacking" a console - so it is possible to see such things deleted per the forum rules. The Wode system is also a hack, although this is a modchip-variety hack.

That said, homebrew talk can be as "innocent" as discussing using various homebrew apps - most apps are mostly innocuous, but some obviously can & do skirt potential piracy issues (RawkSD for RB Wii, for one) and others which are pretty much "piracy" in Nintendo's eyes (copying games to a USB drive, region hacking, reading copied discs). While I have no doubt folks here such as jhoff are in fact copying their purchased games to simply avoid disc swapping/wear & tear, many others are far more dastardly in their use of this type of thing - be it a $100 Wode kit or the esssentially cost-free Homebrew Channel options.

I could see where even the warranty-voiding install of the Wode device could be seen as "easier" than going the softmod route for some (which also voids one's warranty if any hacking bricks your console), but at the same time, I would think those w/ such a desire to do such things on their Wii either already have the tech know-how to go the HBC route or at the least know where to get the info (which is itself 100% free).

I'd think the basic risk to the owner is the same regardless of which way you go. However, w/ softmodding, you could do something/install something that kills your Wii - but with early precautions taken (i.e. - installing BootMii during HBC install & doing a NAND backup immediately) you can almost 100% protect yourself from bricking the machine.

The initial risk is greater w/ Wode, since it requires you to actually crack open the Wii & have a ribbon cable dangling from the inside....and cough up $100 + s/h right off the bat. I guess it's worth it to go w/ Wode is you have a truckload of GCN discs you want to access easily/quickly. But the risks during install are absolutely greater VS HBC softmodding.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #9 of 11 Old 03-03-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Dead thread resurrection!!

Was looking into this device or other USB loading options as my Wii DVD drive recently died on me. Drive failed during Black Ops (apparently semi-common for Wii, as the game tends to make the drive work overtime, mainly due to maps streaming directly from disc instead of loading into RAM, where they would not fit). Ninty has been occasionally offering free out of warranty fixes when Black Ops nukes your drive.

Due to my not wiping ALL traces of my old Homebrew experiments like I assumed I had, I recently learned from Ninty that they will not fix my Wii - free or otherwise. The tech I eventually spoke to after hearing this even admitted to me that my past HBC stuff had ZERO to do w/ the drive failure, but rules are rules......my unrepaired Wii is on it's way home.

Anyway, found a parts delaer online that sells new Wii optical drives. Swapping said drive is rather easy & looks to be not too disimilar to swapping Super Drives out of various Mac models (have done that job a few times). New drive & busted Wii look to be arriving around the same time & the drive will be swapped ASAP by me.

So - thinking since my Wii has been blacklisted by the service dept, and would since I'd like to put less wear on the new drive, the USB loading option is back on the table. I realize jhoff has plenty of experience w/ the HBC version of this, but the WODE is looking tempting due to no actual HB being needed. And those pesky Wii updates? Update all you like, the WODE does not care.

Since the original thread posting, it looks like the WODE has become less pricey & has had some new updates. Wondering to myself now....is WODE a better option for someone like me who can handle cracking open the Wii & adding the solderless WODE chip, but is much more wary of dealing w/ the various HB hoops one must jump thru from time to time when using that software? Just lookin' for some opinions, guys....

post #10 of 11 Old 03-03-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Was looking into this device or other USB loading options as my Wii DVD drive recently died on me. Drive failed during Black Ops (apparently semi-common for Wii, as the game tends to make the drive work overtime, mainly due to maps streaming directly from disc instead of loading into RAM, where they would not fit). Ninty has been occasionally offering free out of warranty fixes when Black Ops nukes your drive.

Due to my not wiping ALL traces of my old Homebrew experiments like I assumed I had, I recently learned from Ninty that they will not fix my Wii - free or otherwise. The tech I eventually spoke to after hearing this even admitted to me that my past HBC stuff had ZERO to do w/ the drive failure, but rules are rules......my unrepaired Wii is on it's way home.

Anyway, found a parts delaer online that sells new Wii optical drives. Swapping said drive is rather easy & looks to be not too disimilar to swapping Super Drives out of various Mac models (have done that job a few times). New drive & busted Wii look to be arriving around the same time & the drive will be swapped ASAP by me.

So - thinking since my Wii has been blacklisted by the service dept, and would since I'd like to put less wear on the new drive, the USB loading option is back on the table. I realize jhoff has plenty of experience w/ the HBC version of this, but the WODE is looking tempting due to no actual HB being needed. And those pesky Wii updates? Update all you like, the WODE does not care.

Since the original thread posting, it looks like the WODE has become less pricey & has had some new updates. Wondering to myself now....is WODE a better option for someone like me who can handle cracking open the Wii & adding the solderless WODE chip, but is much more wary of dealing w/ the various HB hoops one must jump thru from time to time when using that software? Just lookin' for some opinions, guys....

FYI, it does seem that the limitation of having a horrible menu to select the games appears to be gone if you use alternative ones with the WODE now, so there's a plus for it.

Though personally, I still stick to software stuff, though different apps from before.

post #11 of 11 Old 03-24-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was one of the early adopters of the WODE and am still using it daily. To get the most out of it, a little HB helps but is not required. The only thing that does not work quite yet is the ability to access my storage by wifi instead of directly connecting it, but to me, that is a minor, nice to have item not a deal breaker. I now have over 200 games and the latest Nintendo firmware updates.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page