Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-22-2010, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/...s-of-pure-joy/

No mention of this so far in the Nintendo forum - but many may know that EA is reviving the classic NBA Jam arcade game for the Wii this year.

The link above shows actual game footage - however, it's from a camcorder, not a direct feed. Looks like fun.

Even still, this looks to be very true to the original game. Perhaps this is the proper track for EA to take when it comes to sports games & those pesky Wii "casuals".

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-22-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I didn't see any wiimotes moving so I assume it uses classic controls which means I may be a little interested, but I doubt I would say it's worth $50 if it doesn't use motion controls.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
post #3 of 17 Old 04-23-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

I didn't see any wiimotes moving so I assume it uses classic controls which means I may be a little interested, but I doubt I would say it's worth $50 if it doesn't use motion controls.

Yeah, it does use motion controls. See http://wii.ign.com/articles/108/1080843p1.html
post #4 of 17 Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goheat View Post

Yeah, it does use motion controls. See http://wii.ign.com/articles/108/1080843p1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN.com View Post

In my hands-on I was only allowed to play using the Wii remote and nunchuk combination, but when the game's finished, you'll be able to use the standard Wii remote on its side, as well as the Classic Controller. For motion control, the designers stick with one command: shoot. Simply flick the Wii remote upwards for the jumpshot, and then flick it again to let the ball fly. You can modify the shot by holding a button down to fake out the other player by keeping your feet planted.

Looks like all Wii options -save for GC controllers - will be available.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #5 of 17 Old 04-23-2010, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm. With wii motion plus I wonder if the precision is good enough that they could have used that where you could pas with motion also. In other words if you don't raise the wiimote too high then it would know you're passing instead of jumping. I'm sure that wii motion plus is good enough to handle that. Hopefully some bball game does it that way in the future. Heck maybe even have a motion for dribbling too where you can accidentally travel or double dribble. Think about it... in current bball games you can't even freakin travel! So they're obviously far from true similations.

For an NBA Jam game none of that is necessary really, but think how cool an NBA sim would be if you could truly control all motions where you can actually make mistakes due to HUMAN error. As it is now most of your turnovers are due to randomness or the defense covering well, but if wii motion plus was utilized well it could even measure accuracy of your motion where you throw in a motion and the ball goes exactly at that trajectory whether your man is there or not. Football games would be great too. Don't simply push a button but have the motion all detected and it throw to a location whether your man is there or not.

Got Zelda
post #6 of 17 Old 04-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I dunno man, at the point you may as well go outside.

I guess in that aspect team sports games haven't changed radically since the NES. I mean you can't really drop the ball in football or baseball. And then again you're supposed to be simulating professional players - I haven't watched basketball since I was 10 but I don't recall someone calling traveling on a pro.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #7 of 17 Old 04-25-2010, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't watch the pros much, but eyah they have a reputation for not calling traveling often. In college it's called pretty often.

As far as video games though in baseball you can drop the ball... butof course that's pretty much by chance or stats rather than you actually making a mistake to warrant it happening.

Trus going outside and playing the sports would be good, but no matter what a game has you doing it's still always easier than playing in real life. So it could be realistic yet still set up where average players could do good.

Got Zelda
post #8 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://wii.ign.com/articles/112/1125483p1.html

Game comes out today for Wii. PS360-ers will also be getting NBA Jam. Initially, it was going to be offered as a downloadable bonus packed w/ NBA Elite 11. That game has been delayed a bit and now it's said NBA Jam will be available soon for the HD consoles as a regular retail release. Will have all Wii features + online play (Wii version is local multiplayer only-being an EA title & the fact that EA is one 3rd party that has managed to include solid online play w/ it's other Wii sport titles...well, not sure why Jam got the online shaft here)

Anyway, the linked article shows some funny unlockables. Today, EA via IGN showed that you can play as Dems VS Repubs, with Pres Obama, VP Biden, Bill & Hillary Clinton & Al Gore up against a team including Pres G.W. Bush, VP Cheney, John MCain & Sarah Palin.

If you are less a fan of politics than you are music & movie celebs, all 3 Beastie Boys are also said to be unlockable players, as is apparently the "Fresh Prince" himself, Will Smith.

Not a huge hoops fan - real or gaming. But this looks to be a fun arcade-y title. Waiting to see some reviews first.

post #9 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
8.5'd

http://wii.ign.com/articles/112/1125570p1.html

It looks like a blast, though I am going to wait for the HD version.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #10 of 17 Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 PM

I really want to pick this up. I have been a huge NBA Jam fan since the arcade days. My friends and I would have epic SNES NBA Jam tournaments. The Charlotte Hornets were the shizzle with LJ and Zo. Has anybody heard if this duo made the cut as one of the boss battles?

TWW resident bullet sponge
PSN: ThreeWulfMoon
post #11 of 17 Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 AM

Does anybody have this yet? If so, how are the controls?
post #12 of 17 Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Meddler View Post

Does anybody have this yet? If so, how are the controls?

Don't have it - but all reviews have said that "waggle" is @ a minimum & the Wiimote/'chuk controls are easy to get used to.

For traditionalists, though, this is also Classic Controller compatible as well.

post #13 of 17 Old 10-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Nice! I've got one more game to get now. I grew up on this throughout grade 6. My favorite duo to use was Grant & Pippen from the Bulls.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-08-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Don't have it - but all reviews have said that "waggle" is @ a minimum & the Wiimote/'chuk controls are easy to get used to.

For traditionalists, though, this is also Classic Controller compatible as well.

Good to hear. Simple, easy control is important with this game. I don't know, it is either this or Goldeneye for my next Wii purchase!
post #15 of 17 Old 10-08-2010, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Basically, it's everything you remember from the NBA Jam name.

I highly recommend playing with the classic controller, though it supports remote+nunchuk, and remote alone.

Anything that requires jumping is done with a flick upwards, so it gets old fast.

Remix modes are okay, but the classic mode is best.

There's some moves that I don't think were in the original Jam, but I believe they were added a while into the series, like alley-oops/double alley-oops, spins and crossovers. Still, the game feels right.

I did already unlock Larry Johnson, not sure if Alonzo Mourning is in the game.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #16 of 17 Old 10-08-2010, 07:47 PM

I am going to pick this up soon. I was an NBA Jam fanatic back in high school. Johnson was a beast and could even hit long range jumpers. I don't think Zo is in the game, though. But they are paying a lot of fan service to the old school gamers. The Beasties, the political teams, and all of the classic players.

TWW resident bullet sponge
PSN: ThreeWulfMoon
post #17 of 17 Old 10-11-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rented a copy @ a local Blockbuster today & got in one game during lunch.

Certainly a blast - and wears it's arcade-iness like a badge of honor.

Have yet to try the Wiimote controls, just Classic for my one game so far. Thinking I may also try my Tatsunoko Vs Capcom fight stick & see if it gives even more of an arcade flavor.

While the lack of online does kinda suck - esp since EA has been able to tack on some of the better Wii online options to date in other titles - even a single player round is fun.

I have it until Saturday, so I may decide to continue w/ the Jam this week.

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page