Goldeneye 007 for Wii? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 87 Old 11-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Member
 
stewdog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've played the first several levels and am loving it. I don't have time to plow through it, so I'm liking taking my time with it. I like how it takes me back to my college days of playing the original, but is still new and refreshing.

I haven't tried multi-player yet, but am looking forward to it. Definitely one of the best games on the Wii.
stewdog1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 87 Old 11-23-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post

I've played the first several levels and am loving it. I don't have time to plow through it, so I'm liking taking my time with it. I like how it takes me back to my college days of playing the original, but is still new and refreshing.

I haven't tried multi-player yet, but am looking forward to it. Definitely one of the best games on the Wii.

Stew, same here. Freshman year my roommate and I rocked this game like crazy.

I've taken the same approach to single player. I'm whittling away at it a little bit at a time. The multiplayer is fantastic though. It's got a taste of the past mixed with the new.

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #63 of 87 Old 11-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Newbie
 
spencers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post

I've played the first several levels and am loving it. I don't have time to plow through it, so I'm liking taking my time with it. I like how it takes me back to my college days of playing the original, but is still new and refreshing.

I haven't tried multi-player yet, but am looking forward to it. Definitely one of the best games on the Wii.

I picked up the game on Sunday. My thoughts are similar.

It's so damned hard to hold the Wiimote and nunchuk and have any semblance of accuracy. I ordered some classic pro controllers. Hopefully that will be the solution.
spencers is offline  
post #64 of 87 Old 11-23-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post

It's so damned hard to hold the Wiimote and nunchuk and have any semblance of accuracy. I ordered some classic pro controllers. Hopefully that will be the solution.

My thoughts exactly....the 1st time I played Metroid Prime 3 a couple years back, that is.

After a while, you find a "comfortable" method for doing the Wiimote/nunchuk thing for an FPS. At this point, dual analog for such things actually feels archaic to me. Having gone back & played the 2 Metriod Prime GC-era games (on the Wii Prime Triogy disc) with the Wiimote/chuk combo, it's apparent how much for freedom of movement & aiming one has w/ this system. Controlling Samus in MP1 & 2 w/ a GC controller was like driving a tank.

But to each their own....and smart move on Acti's part to give Classic support to this & the new Call of Duty. Plus, I always preferred FP-type games on PC using a mouse, so the Wiimore IR is pretty close to that, in terms of movement, that is.

You may also want to give the "pointer-less" nunchuk/Wiimote option in Goldeneye a shot. I have yet to try it, but supposedly it makes the default control scheme feel similar to the original game's N64 controls.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #65 of 87 Old 11-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Member
 
stewdog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post

I picked up the game on Sunday. My thoughts are similar.

It's so damned hard to hold the Wiimote and nunchuk and have any semblance of accuracy. I ordered some classic pro controllers. Hopefully that will be the solution.

I had to tweak the remote settings a bit to get it to feel right. Not much tweaking, but just enough to find a sweet spot.
stewdog1 is offline  
post #66 of 87 Old 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
While I have the classic controller, I've stuck with the nunchuck/wiimote combo. I really like the way it works. Perhaps that adds to limiting my play time though. Not that that is a bad thing.

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #67 of 87 Old 11-24-2010, 09:31 PM
 
BobL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Is the multiplayer online only? Or can you play multiple people split screen like COD or Halo?
BobL is offline  
post #68 of 87 Old 11-24-2010, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

Is the multiplayer online only? Or can you play multiple people split screen like COD or Halo?

You can do both.

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #69 of 87 Old 11-25-2010, 07:14 AM
 
BobL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Thanks!
BobL is offline  
post #70 of 87 Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Played a bunch of this over the holiday. Much much better than I expected; naturally I cleaned up in multiplayer using pointer controls, over my brothers who insisted Classic/GC control was better. Still, the graphics are total ASS in split-screen, and it's disappointing that you're restricted to your initial weapons loadout in multiplayer as there are no additional weapons lying around the maps.
ThisOneKidMongo is offline  
post #71 of 87 Old 11-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Jopopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gameinformer wasn't very kind to it - its interesting that some of the vets on this board think otherwise.
Jopopsy is offline  
post #72 of 87 Old 11-29-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post

Gameinformer wasn't very kind to it - its interesting that some of the vets on this board think otherwise.

Not surprising.

Game Informer (i.e. GameStop's publication) is rarely kind to 3rd party Wii titles, be they exclusive or multiplatform. Did not even bother to include Wii in their RB3 review, for example.

They tend to mostly love 1st party Wii stuff, but something like Goldeneye - which has gotten primarily very strong marks - still sucks in their view.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #73 of 87 Old 11-29-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Played a bunch of this over the holiday. Much much better than I expected; naturally I cleaned up in multiplayer using pointer controls, over my brothers who insisted Classic/GC control was better. Still, the graphics are total ASS in split-screen, and it's disappointing that you're restricted to your initial weapons loadout in multiplayer as there are no additional weapons lying around the maps.

Splitscreen does take a visual hit, even w/ just 2 players.

Online, OTOH, looks A LOT better. Of course, no split screen there...

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #74 of 87 Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 AM
Member
 
ToneCmdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked this game up on Black Friday and I've been playing just the SP so far. This game is great! The Wiimote/nunchuk control schemes work great. Lots of options for tweaking to your liking too. I just discovered that while aiming down the sights, you can lean left or right by tilting the nun chuk. I had been missing the ability to lean out of cover from the original Goldeneye and then I accidentally found it. Very cool!

I can't help but compare this reimagining to the original though. I really miss the Bond music. I can remember the music for each level of the original Goldeneye. So far, I find the music in the new game kind of dull. I know they got away from the classic Bond music in the movies too. A huge mistake in my book.

All in all, I think this is one of the best shooters on the Wii.
ToneCmdr is offline  
post #75 of 87 Old 12-02-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dashboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montréal, Québec
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I just picked a Wii last week as a christmas gift for me and my girlfriend. We only have Super Mario so far but I'm picking this game up. Probably this week-end because there is a Buy 1 get 1 half price I'll pick this game and Zelda to keep me busy.

I played the hell out of Goldeneye N64 when I was younger. I'm new to the Wii aiming system with the wiimote and only tried it once at a friend's place in MoH and wasn't liking it alot... I think I've read that you can play this game with a classic controller and use dual joystick to aim? Am I right?
Dashboard is offline  
post #76 of 87 Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThisOneKidMongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Yeah, that's correct. The Classic Controller will let you use a dual-analog setup to play, just like all the FPS games on the HD systems. However, the Wiimote point-to-aim setup really is a superior control scheme, as it allows you a lot more precision and speed. It does take some getting used to, I admit, but I think if you try it for a while you'll find it difficult to go back to a dual-analog setup.
ThisOneKidMongo is offline  
post #77 of 87 Old 12-02-2010, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Yeah, that's correct. The Classic Controller will let you use a dual-analog setup to play, just like all the FPS games on the HD systems. However, the Wiimote point-to-aim setup really is a superior control scheme, as it allows you a lot more precision and speed. It does take some getting used to, I admit, but I think if you try it for a while you'll find it difficult to go back to a dual-analog setup.

Agreed - my own intro to Wii's method of doing FPS style stuff was w/ Metroid Prime 3. In the past, my FPS playing was on PC using mouse/keyboard mostly. While I dug playing the 1st Metroid Prime on my nephew's GameCube back in the day, the dual analog method made controlling Samus more like a tank.

Once I go the hang of doing FPS stuff w/ a Wiimote/'chuk, it was much closer to the mouse as far as aiming was concerned - but with movement handled by a single analog stick (a la N64). Playing the 1st Prime again on the Wii Prime Trilogy was a revelation. Truly independant aim & move? Sweet!

I say give it a shot - and remember that Goldeneye features a fairly OCD-level of control customization when using the Wiimote/'chuk (or Wii Zapper or other gun shell) so you can dial in every little nuance you wish to make controls "perfect" for you.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #78 of 87 Old 12-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
voodoozen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

I just picked a Wii last week as a christmas gift for me and my girlfriend. We only have Super Mario so far but I'm picking this game up. Probably this week-end because there is a Buy 1 get 1 half price I'll pick this game and Zelda to keep me busy.

I played the hell out of Goldeneye N64 when I was younger. I'm new to the Wii aiming system with the wiimote and only tried it once at a friend's place in MoH and wasn't liking it alot... I think I've read that you can play this game with a classic controller and use dual joystick to aim? Am I right?

Good timing- Amazon has it for $35 shipped or $50 with a golden classic controller bundled in:

http://www.amazon.com/James-Bond-007...AP20YJQZ45Q28H
voodoozen is offline  
post #79 of 87 Old 12-02-2010, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCmdr View Post

All in all, I think this is one of the best shooters on the Wii.

IMO, this & Black Ops are the best games of their kind on the system. Some elements of Black Ops are "better" than Godeneye & vice versa. Black Ops does have voice chat, will reportedly have DLC down the road (new maps & whatnot apparently) and has seen 2 online patches since launch to fix some issues - Acti/Treyarch are taking COD on Wii pretty seriously these days.

Btwn the 2, Wii users can get their FPS grinding/fragging ya-yas out nicely.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #80 of 87 Old 12-11-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Just finished the game. I really enjoyed it. It was so much fun. I loved that you could approach situations guns blazing or stealthily.

It's a shame to see a great game like this get shafted while black ops gets rave reviews? It leaves me totally dumbfounded.

I'll be following eurocom closely in the future. They seriously rock!

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #81 of 87 Old 12-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Jopopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Just finished the game. I really enjoyed it. It was so much fun. I loved that you could approach situations guns blazing or stealthily.

It's a shame to see a great game like this get shafted while black ops gets rave reviews? It leaves me totally dumbfounded.

I'll be following eurocom closely in the future. They seriously rock!

How long did it take you?
Jopopsy is offline  
post #82 of 87 Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post


How long did it take you?

Maybe 10 hours?? I took my time. I've played only about 2 hours of multiplayer...lots of fun.

I'd also like to say that I like using the nunchuck and wiimote combo. I had no issues running through the game with it. I've also dominated the multi matches I've played.

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #83 of 87 Old 03-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
CHAVAN30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, Tx.
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone still playing this? i ended up getting another wii and giving my repaired one to a friend, and just picked up this game. the online is really, really smooth.

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

CHAVAN30 is offline  
post #84 of 87 Old 03-14-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAVAN30 View Post

anyone still playing this? i ended up getting another wii and giving my repaired one to a friend, and just picked up this game. the online is really, really smooth.

To be honest, I faded fast from online here after getting further hooked on the Wii version of Black Ops. No matter what I do, right down to trying to emulate my COD Wiimote/'chuk controller settings in Goldeneye as closely as possible, it still feels comparitively unwieldy compared to BlOps. Plus, I'm useless @ FPS games with traditional dual analogs @ this point, but maybe I should give Bond online another go w/ the Classic controller. Gives me something to do tonight.....

As well, BlOps Wii on a slow night still has at least 8000+/- players online, way more on weekends. Those are not XBL numbers, but pretty impressive for such a game on this console/with this "casual" audience. Finding randoms is easy & making allies requires zero friend code swapping. Agree though that 007's online is pretty solid, among the best the system has seen.

BlOps Wii, OTOH, is at least equally so, but with a much less Wii-like online annoyances & something more akin to XBOX Live when it comes to matchmaking/allies/voice chat/etc. Haven't advanced much in GE007 online, but am grinding away to approaching @ my 2nd BlOps prestige at the moment.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #85 of 87 Old 03-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
CHAVAN30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, Tx.
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
cool. i guess i'll pick up blops on the wii. i have it on on my 360, but i like shooters that make good use of the motion control.

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

CHAVAN30 is offline  
post #86 of 87 Old 03-16-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAVAN30 View Post

cool. i guess i'll pick up blops on the wii. i have it on on my 360, but i like shooters that make good use of the motion control.

Not as pretty to look at, but a solid experience. As well, be prepared for a shock when you first log online as the game prompts you to DL its current patch....yes, they figured out how to actually do downloadable executable patches on a Wii game.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #87 of 87 Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Member
 
erikstormtrooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone else noticed that the surround sound on this game (in single player) is virtually non-existent? Is it really subdued, or do I have some kind of fluke?
erikstormtrooper is offline  
Reply Nintendo

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off