post #1 of 87 Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=249488

http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=15885

The N64 Bond classic may finally be headed to the Wii in an updated form - including online mutiplayer!

The info in the linked article goes beyond simple rumor, so it sounds like Nintendo, Rare, Activision & all other parties settled their collective hash.

Hopefully some further info coming @ E3....one thing we (sorta) know from the article, Pierce Brosnan looks to have been swapped for Daniel Craig in this reboot.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 06-04-2010, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought Goldeneye would never come to Wii because of licensing agreements with Rare?... or maybe because Microsoft owns Rare?

Either way, I'll check out those links momentarily.
post #3 of 87 Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder what the legalities are of keeping the name and virtually nothing else (as the articles seems to imply). Microsoft wouldn't let this happen without also getting a version for XBLA, since Rare had essentially finished one and couldn't release it due to disagreements between Nintendo and MS. I don't think they'd be able to remake the levels verbatim and not get into copyright issues, but they could reimagine them. Why you'd put Daniel Craig in Goldeneye is beyond me, though.
post #4 of 87 Old 06-06-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
OH MY FAKKIN GAWD

here are some words in lowercase
post #5 of 87 Old 06-06-2010, 02:55 PM

Liked: 93
I interpret shaddix' giant pink letters as "HOLY CRAP, THIS HORSE HAS BEEN BEATEN TO DEATH! PLEASE, PLEASE, OH LORD PLEASE, JUST DON'T EVER BRING THIS CRAP UP AGAIN UNTIL THERE IS A GAME ON A SYSTEM!".

This topic has been rehashed so many times that, no, it is not worth discussing.
post #6 of 87 Old 06-06-2010, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

I interpret shaddix' giant pink letters as "HOLY CRAP, THIS HORSE HAS BEEN BEATEN TO DEATH! PLEASE, PLEASE, OH LORD PLEASE, JUST DON'T EVER BRING THIS CRAP UP AGAIN UNTIL THERE IS A GAME ON A SYSTEM!".

This topic has been rehashed so many times that, no, it is not worth discussing.

Before everyone decides to can this topic, I will post the following from Destructoid as to a possible "how" the MS/Nintendo/Rare situation may get handled:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructiod.com View Post

According to a leaked survey, Activision will be releasing a new version of GoldenEye for the Wii, "developed from the ground up" to take "advantage of the latest technology to deliver the same intense experience with today's graphics and physics." The title will supposedly "modernize" the classic story, placing Daniel Craig in the role of Bond. The survey suggests that many (if not all) of the originals areas from the N64 title will return, along with its weapons and four-player split-screen. The game will reportedly support 8-player online matches, as well.

Being a "ground-up built 're-imagining'" is maybe how they are able to pull this off? Who knows - but if this is legit, it'll surely get mentioned @ E3 soon.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #7 of 87 Old 06-07-2010, 12:29 AM

Gonna keep beating that horse, huh?
post #8 of 87 Old 06-07-2010, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Gonna keep beating that horse, huh?

Nope - just one last kick until E3 confirms/denies it.

What I find kinda funny is that in an article I saw today regarding this rumor, Wedbush analyst Michael Patcher is already predicting underwhelming sales.

post #9 of 87 Old 06-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Nope - just one last kick until E3 confirms/denies it.

What I find kinda funny is that in an article I saw today regarding this rumor, Wedbush analyst Michael Patcher is already predicting underwhelming sales.

I had to look up the Pachter quotes, but I sadly agree with him... It's not the same "OMG!!!1" experience as it was back in the day, GE established the FPS genre for everything we have now- but there's now much better shooters on every blinkin' console. I think a level-by-level port with updated mechanics will have no value after a single play through, and a new, reinvisioned game with little to no resemblance to the N64 version will be hailed as a second class copy, ala Rogue Agent. Sad but true...

It could still sell well just due to the franchise name, Qos did alright in spite of its shortcomings, but I don't know that a remake would be the blockbuster the original was. If it was PS360, maybe. But if Overkill, Conduit, RS2, etc have taken the slow burn road to reach even 500K, this game leaves me little faith it can be the one to break the sales ceiling.

-vdz
post #10 of 87 Old 06-07-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I can't find the article now, but I was pretty sure this was debunked again shortly after the rumor started.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #11 of 87 Old 06-07-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to Eurogamer, it has been confirmed.

But again, this is the Internet.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ac...me-in-november

This link is from June 3, where/when the initial rumor apparently began.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/03/rumo...by-activision/

post #12 of 87 Old 06-08-2010, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

The N64 Bond classic may finally be headed to the Wii in an updated form - including online mutiplayer!

The info in the linked article goes beyond simple rumor, so it sounds like Nintendo, Rare, Activision & all other parties settled their collective hash.

It's sure doesn't sound like a remake to me and none of the links made it sound like it was. It just happens to be based upon the same movie IP as the N64 game.

Microsoft owned Rare would never let this happen and no matter what set of events you want to believe over why the XBLA port was stillborn, they clearly still have at least partial control over the game.

If there's a Goldeneye game published by Activision on the Wii, it's only relationship with the N64 title is going to be the namesake movie the game is based upon.
post #13 of 87 Old 06-08-2010, 04:15 AM

I don't think there is even any horse left at this point. You guys just seem to be punching bloodied ground.
post #14 of 87 Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey - it's a slow Wii news week. So slow, that if you Google Goldeneye 007 Wii right now, you'd think Activision had already confirmed, published & printed up the game, just waiting for release day - what with all the news stories about it.

post #15 of 87 Old 06-10-2010, 02:48 PM

what they need to do i put Goldeneye 64 in the wii shop channel!! I WOULD BUY THAT IN 1 SECOND!

--Ace
--PSN: AceStallion
----Wavee baby!
post #16 of 87 Old 06-10-2010, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceStallion View Post

what they need to do i put Goldeneye 64 in the wii shop channel!! I WOULD BUY THAT IN 1 SECOND!

As would many - however it's the Nintendo/Rare/Activision/MS legal clusterf**k that has kept this from happening, as well as the revamped version Rare supposedly was doing that was meant for XBOX Live.

If this rumor is true - we will know for sure next week, I imagine - this "ground up" reboot may be passing thru a legal loophole. If Ninty owns the "name", Activision holds the Bond license - perhaps this reboot is different enough (not sure if swapping Brosnan for Craig is enough to be that different) to be able to happen.

E3 should clear this up once & for all - maybe.

As far as the previously mentioned Michael Patcher predictions (this dude still has a job after one incorrect prediction after another - why?) - while he has a point, if anything on Wii has proven successful, it is reboots or re-imaginings of old school Ninty chestnuts. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, PunchOut!! - all saw their various permutations and/or "Wii-boots" do relatively well to all out crazy. Goldeneye is surely a familiar title to those Ninty fans who were around during the N64 days. It stands a solid chance of also doing better than most "core" titles.

post #17 of 87 Old 06-11-2010, 12:35 AM

I can't wait for this to come out. One of the best games for the n64.
post #18 of 87 Old 06-11-2010, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, as of now it looks to still be a rumor.

post #19 of 87 Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 AM

i'm telling you..Nintendo would make BANK they put Goldeneye64 in the Wii Shop

--Ace
----Wavee baby!
post #20 of 87 Old 06-11-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceStallion View Post

i'm telling you..Nintendo would make BANK they put Goldeneye64 in the Wii Shop

Hell yes they would - but THAT game is still half tied to Rare, which is now owned by MS. And Activision got ahold of Bond game rights after the N64 edition came out. Legal red tape is keeping the N64 original off Wii Shop, as well as the redux Rare themselves developed for XBOX Live.

That is why I think that if this "Wii-make" is legit, it may resemble the original, but will possibly be it's own animal.

That, or someone with a knack for Photoshop has duped the world.

post #21 of 87 Old 06-11-2010, 10:24 AM

i honestly dont think they can make a new goldeneye...the old was is too classic to try to redo...Rare needs to stop being a bunch of B****** and just give up those rights, or get a cut and put in the the Wii shop...seriously..id pay atleast $20 if they put it in the shop

--Ace
----Wavee baby!
post #22 of 87 Old 06-11-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If this rumor is true - we will know for sure next week, I imagine - this "ground up" reboot may be passing thru a legal loophole. If Ninty owns the "name", Activision holds the Bond license - perhaps this reboot is different enough (not sure if swapping Brosnan for Craig is enough to be that different) to be able to happen.

First of all, Nintendo doesn't own the name. GoldenEye 007 is a trademark owned by Danjaq. That's why it's a licensed videogame. Nintendo didn't create the James Bond films and release them so I'm not sure why you'd think the name was theirs.

Rare owns the game. Nintendo holds some residual rights to it from their days as being publisher of it but they're not going to be able to do anything with it without Rare. Furthermore, other then supposedly being on Nintendo platforms, you keep talking like it's a Nintendo project. It's obvious if it happens that Activision will be the publisher and I believe the supposed developer has already been named in these rumors.

This isn't going to be the Nintendo 64 classic, folks. Just because it's based on the same film doesn't mean it's the N64 game. If someone were to create a new SuperMan title, would you go around telling people they're remaking a 30 year old Atari 2600 classic because there was a SuperMan game on that platform?
post #23 of 87 Old 06-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I still don't think this game was that great

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #24 of 87 Old 06-11-2010, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

First of all, Nintendo doesn't own the name. GoldenEye 007 is a trademark owned by Danjaq. That's why it's a licensed videogame. Nintendo didn't create the James Bond films and release them so I'm not sure why you'd think the name was theirs.

Rare owns the game. Nintendo holds some residual rights to it from their days as being publisher of it but they're not going to be able to anything with it without Rare. Furthermore, other then supposedly being on Nintendo platforms, you keep talking like it's a Nintendo project. It's obvious if it happens that Activision will be the publisher and I believe the supposed developer has already been named in these rumors.

This isn't going to ne the Nintendo 64 classic folks. Just because it's based on the same film doesn't mean it's the N64 game. If someone were to create a new SuperMan title, are you going to go around telling people they're remaking a 30 year old Atari 2600 classic because there was a SuperMan game on that platform?

Sorry if my "stream of consciousness with Spell Check" (when on Firefox, at least) version of forum posting does not gibe with some inner need of yours to have every I dotted/T crossed. Both here & in the COD thread (not gonna waste keyboard wear & tear over there). But in the end, if I misspeak or confuse something from article/source A with report B - well, I doubt it will cause the downfall of civilization of anything.

"Name" implied (as I saw it when typing) just what you stated - some sort of residual rights from being the publisher of the Rare-developed N64 title. It's that bit of claim that has kept the Rare reboot off the 360.

You mean it was actually Ian Flemming that invented Bond? Not Miyamoto-san? Boy, you learn something every day.

Yes, Activision MAY BE planning a new game based on the GoldenEye movie (one thing I have stated more than once is that this has still not been confirmed). And the rumor is that Eurocom (a European developer) and n-Space (A US dev) are working on this jointly. There - better?

When one thinks of GoldenEye as a game, they tend to think of the N64 title. But no - I do realize Ninty has/will have nothing to do with this outside of approving it to be released on their system.

Don't be the anti-BASHERS33 of the AVS Nintendo thread.

post #25 of 87 Old 06-12-2010, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mean it was actually Ian Flemming that invented Bond? Not Miyamoto-san? Boy, you learn something every day.

Was a bit of unnecessary sarcasm I tossed in there, sorry about that.

I didn't really think you thought that Nintendo was responsible for the James Bond franchise, but I did think you might be under the incorrect assumption that because it was the name of a Nintendo published game that perhaps they held some ownership rights to the name itself for videogame use.
post #26 of 87 Old 06-13-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Was a bit of unnecessary sarcasm I tossed in there, sorry about that.

I didn't really think you thought that Nintendo was responsible for the James Bond franchise, but I did think you might be under the incorrect assumption that because it was the name of a Nintendo published game that perhaps they held some ownership rights to the name itself.

All good.

Interestingly, this title was mentioned on a Yahoo! News report today talking up E3.

Whatever it turns out to be - and it may be a turd - it does sound more legit all the time.

post #27 of 87 Old 06-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Whatever it turns out to be - and it may be a turd - it does sound more legit all the time.

Ahhh, see, showers are golden, turds, not so much. Then again, "007: Turdeneye" Probably wouldn't sell a a lot of copies.

In any event, Eurogamer makes it sound like it's not a Wii-freshed (I love cheap puns) version of the N64 game, but a completely new game with (probably) similar-but-not-quite-1:1 level maps and Daniel Craig:

Quote:

If they really do get the local and online multiplayer right, it might be worth a weekend rental simply because there's not a lot of local co-op FPS games on Wii (maybe none?). But if the reports are true, I still think even the strongest prescription nostalgia goggles won't help when you compare this to modern FPS, Wii or no.

Now that I think about it, if the level maps somehow WERE the same, online play would be brutal since everyone will already know their way around...

And if I might add more fuel to this fire, Rare just wrote the N64 code and designed the levels. That's what MS owns now, and that's why it's a mega long shot for the original to turn up on XBLA or VC, Ninty and MS don't play nicely together. Since the levels were pretty much recreated in the Perfect Dark XLBA release, it sounds to me like Activision can use these how ever they see fit as long as they're not EXACTLY the same.

As previously stated, Nintendo as publisher still own the rights to the original, Activision owns the Bond license... so long as Nintendo and Activision create new code, AI, change up the level designs and textures a bit, they can do a complete "ground up" near-duplicate and be free and clear. And Activision might even be able to release a port on XBLA.

-vdz
post #28 of 87 Old 06-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

not sure if this is real or not, but here goes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE462T0d2Z4

looks real and it was up on ign youtube page.
hurry before it gets taken down again!!!!

conduit 2, cod: blackops, and goldeneye wii all in/around november? Yippe!

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

post #29 of 87 Old 06-14-2010, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAVAN30 View Post

not sure if this is real or not, but here goes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE462T0d2Z4

looks real and it was up on ign youtube page.
hurry before it gets taken down again!!!!

conduit 2, cod: blackops, and goldeneye wii all in/around november? Yippe!

Already pulled - in fact, it states pulled by Activision.

Perhaps this is not a rumored re-boot after all.....

edit: 1Up has confirmed this is real. So yes, some sort of GoldenEye game is coming to the Wii via Activision this year.

And apparently ONLY Wii - no DS version.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179852

post #30 of 87 Old 06-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Jwebb-one more try.....

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/41974/

or............

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=14mb8k9&s=6

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1