Rock Band 3 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 118 Old 02-06-2011, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Three more questions.

1. My (Wii) pro bass controller makes a faint-but-audible sound which is localized in the area under the led status indicators. The sound is activated by using the d-pad or shaking the instrument. It is vaguely reminiscent of the physical spring sound in an old-school reverb tank. The sound occurs when the unit is powered off as well as on. Should this be a source of concern?

2. I noticed that an interrupted Road Challenge appears to resume without an opportunity to set a Pro controller back to a non-Pro setting. Am I missing something?

3. The video introduction to Pro Guitar notes that "each song with a Pro part" has its' own lesson, "accessed under training" (or something) in the menu. I did not observe this option in menus with a song active. Again, am I missing something?

I have noticed that the game has a squintillion features (a layer-capable graphics editor designed to be used via gamepads? And yet no chord charts? What?) so my guess is that yes, I am missing something.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhybark View Post

Three more questions.

1. My (Wii) pro bass controller makes a faint-but-audible sound which is localized in the area under the led status indicators. The sound is activated by using the d-pad or shaking the instrument. It is vaguely reminiscent of the physical spring sound in an old-school reverb tank. The sound occurs when the unit is powered off as well as on. Should this be a source of concern?

2. I noticed that an interrupted Road Challenge appears to resume without an opportunity to set a Pro controller back to a non-Pro setting. Am I missing something?

3. The video introduction to Pro Guitar notes that "each song with a Pro part" has its' own lesson, "accessed under training" (or something) in the menu. I did not observe this option in menus with a song active. Again, am I missing something?

I have noticed that the game has a squintillion features (a layer-capable graphics editor designed to be used via gamepads? And yet no chord charts? What?) so my guess is that yes, I am missing something.

Thanks in advance.

While I do not own a Pro guitar & have not played with this mode outside of the Best Buy demo w/ the Fender Squier, I can address some of this..

1 - the "spring" sound you are hearing is most likley the motion sensor tied to Overdirve tilt activation. Pretty much every official RB guitar/bass I have seen/played will have a slightly audible "boinging" spring sound - totally normal.

2-There is a setion of your main RB3 menu that should cover training or "learn an instrument"

You may want to cruise the forums over @ www.rockband.com/forums - lots of info there.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #93 of 118 Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also @ mwhybark - are you calibrating RB3 using the auto-calibration feature in the RB guitars? If so - STOP!!! RB3 auto calibration seems to be broken (according to those on the RB forums, this is the case on all 3 systems to a certain degree). For Wii rockers, auto-calibration via guitars have led to issues on other instruments.

In my case, doing the calibration manually using the drums nailed everything down - and also took the auto calibration's audio offset from around 8-9 ms delay to a -11ms delay. Calibrate using drums - you will be fine.

As to differences in DLC & "original" recordings - yes, HMX generally uses radio edits to avoid questionable lyrics, although what is considered questionable seems to vary wildly.

Drug references sometimes get edited (see Pixies - Gouge Away, cut the word "marijuana"), sometimes not (Grateful Dead-Casey Jones did not cut the word "cocaine") - may be a context thing, maybe just the QC person's mood that day.

Overtly sexual lyrics are generally edited - although Bowie's Ziggy Stardust left in everything from "break our balls" to "God given ass"....and for some reason, RB3 lists Duran Duran's Girls on Film as a "family friendly" track. Lady Gaga's Bad Romance has it's double entrendre intact, as does Kings of Leon's Sex on Fire (although nothing dbl entrendre in that tune!).

But any of George Carlins 7 dirty words will get cut - no exceptions. Makes for some interesting vocal parts in, for example, RHCP's Sir Psycho Sexy.

Could be worse - Guitar Hero censorship is way outta hand. Examples:

Iron Maiden-2 Minutes to Midnight. Cut several lines of lyrics that mention IMAGERY of dead children or killing unborn babies in what is obviously an anti-war song (could be misconstrued as pro-choice? Who knows) Lyrics are untouched in the RB version available in the Store.

Don McLean - American Pie. Remember the line from the chorus that says "drinking whiskey & rye"? Of course you do - the chorus gets repeated about 250 times in that song....unless you are playing it in Guitar Hero/band Hero. "Whiskey" is edited every single time. Lame.

Also, HMX often tweaks w/ the masters in order to make the song more RB firendly. Masters will be mixed differently to accentuate certain parts HMX wants to feature. And many times, original fadeouts will get extended/tweaked to keep the song "playable" until the end. To me this was most noticable in some of the tunes from The Beatles RB.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #94 of 118 Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 AM

thanks jwebb.

on Rockbandaide, I found folks (rightly) complaining about the f-word getting cut from "Death or Glory," so I must just not have noticed it on playback earlier.

http://www.rockbandaide.com/10820/dl...lash/#comments

I can understand the rationale but I'm not gonna like it.

Also, thanks for digging up the info about GK-series midi compatibility, reading through that stuff it seems likely any given polyphonic midi guitar setup would work, with the given drawback that *only* the Squier is gonna have the fretboard sensors.

I'm seeing used Fender Custom Roland Ready units @$500, +/-, which would mean about $700 to get partial feature compatibility, which seems silly for a game. The Squier's base price less assorted discounts will be under $200, so I'm thinking about it.

eBay is showing some older midi guitars for $200, but who knows if they will still work after 20 to 25 years in the field; the other option is a bolt-on GK-3a which is steady at $200, again.

My interest level is definitely reflective of developing actual bruises on my fingers from sliding around on the Mustand Pro fret buttons - I figure if I'm whacking my fingers that much I should at least give myself the option of getting my calluses back.

Finally, I haven't had much luck digging through the RB3 forums - the ten-post-to-a-page limit and what seems to be in some way over-broad search implementation has made it frustrating to use.

Here's one more game mechanics question, something I think I already know: is there a way to have your profile active on two instruments at the same time, so you can sing and play at the same time? Seems like an obvious feature and one which should provide some sort of score multiplication bonus, but hey.
post #95 of 118 Old 02-07-2011, 10:03 AM

and, oh, I figured out that the auto-calibrate was NF pretty quick. the native calibration state was 0 ms out of the box and around 11ms after manual.

It still is clear to me that gem placement varies from song to song, probably by up to about 20 ms either way, and that this is reflective of authorial style. It could be that that stylistic variation is deliberate and intended to express the flavor of the original track. Ever notice how you'll nail one song and then another song that is fairly distinct by genre will trip you up for the first few bars? that's what I'm talking about.

There does not seem to be a copy of the in-box manual available for DL. Is there a detailed explanation of scoring modes and so forth anywhere? Like, "in order to set up Overdrive, 10 sequential note strikes are required," or whatever the actual number is?

I have the sense that a lot of the scoring is modeled on pinball game mechanics, which amuses me highly.
post #96 of 118 Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Keep in mind w/ "synth-ready" guitars - i.e. those with the Roland or Axxon hex pickups installed - you will still need some sort of MIDI device (most common would be the Roland guitar synths) as well as the RB3 Midi Pro adaptor in order to bypass using the Squier (which will also require said RB3 Midi Pro adaptor).

These are the current offerings from Roland, including both synths as well as their "V-Guitar" systems.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...hp?ParentId=53

I'd also suggest when crusing the RB forums to check strictly w/ the various Support threads. In many cases, mcuh of the info you seek may well be in the "stickied" threads @ the top. Agree that their Search function leaves a lot to be desired.

Being as I've been playing RB on Wii for quite a while, I can certainly try to answer your questions - although those involving Pro guitar/bass are out of my league. Guitar/Bass is the only "Pro" I dont play in RB3 (but Pro Drums is the ONLY way I play drums now).

post #97 of 118 Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As well, this weeks DLC - Bob Marley 8-pack.

Bend Down Low
Burnin' and Lootin'
Coming in from the Cold
Kaya
Lively Up Yourself
No More Trouble
Small Axe
Them Belly Full (But We Hungry) X

x = Pro Guitar/Bass upgrade available.

Pack will run 1350 Wii Points - not quite the bargain that the London Calling album pack was last week.

post #98 of 118 Old 02-07-2011, 10:48 AM

I am aware of that, but it's always good to get that info into these discussions.

Thus a Midi-RB3 Squier setup requires the Squier + the Madcats midi adapter for the gaming platform, whereas a non-RB3 midi guitar setup would require guitar (or basss or whatever) + hex pickup, built-in or bolt-on + midi synth interface + Madcats midi adapter.

That's a hard sell unless the gear is already lying around, I'd say, or you get an outlandish deal.
post #99 of 118 Old 02-07-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhybark View Post
That's a hard sell unless the gear is already lying around, I'd say, or you get an outlandish deal.
Very true - although if uses/enjoyment beyond just a pricey way to play a music game are a factor, Roland's new V-Guitar/synth/FX processor/loop machine combo, the GR-55, makes the "sell" a little less hard.

Sick little toy - I think I want one (not for RB, but that'd be nice gravy on the side)

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...48&ParentId=53

post #100 of 118 Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Apparently, another gaming website got ahold of next weeks' RB DLC earlier this week, so HMX has now announced the upcoming "February Heartache Duets Pack", a collection of singles geared towards male/female vocal duets (and VOX charts will be true duets, as long as you have 2 mics connected).

As well, this pack will be issued on Friday 2/11/11 and will be taking the place of what would have been the regular 2/15/11 release date.

As always, single DLs are 200 Points a pop, the whole pack will run 1100 Points

Animotion – "Obsession"
B.o.B. (featuring Hayley Williams) – "Airplanes"
Bonnie Tyler – "Total Eclipse of the Heart
The Human League – "Don't You Want Me"
Lady Antebellum – "Need You Now"
Meat Loaf – "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"
Stevie Nicks/Tom Petty – "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" X

x = Pro Guitar/Bass upgrade available

Have to say that the inclusion of the Animotion, Meat Loaf, Stevie Nicks & Bonnie Tyler tracks has my wife about as stoked for new RB content as I have ever seen her be - certainly no complaints from her this week with my getting more RB content. These tracks will be getting a serious weekend workout in my house

post #101 of 118 Old 02-09-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://wii.ign.com/articles/114/1148706p1.html

Has zero to do directly w/ RB or Harmonix.....but Activision announced today they are shuttering their Guitar Hero division. The GH game planned for 2011 has been cancelled & no word on whether the brand will ever resurface under the Activision banner.

Acti blames "waning interest" as the reason. Of course, a contributer to waning interest could have been the business plan of cranking out new GH games every 75 seconds. Again, gamers can point a finger @ Acti for running yet another franchise/genre into the ground.

They also cancelled the upcoming True Crime game planned for 2011, too. At the same time, Acti also announced a new dev studio under their wing dedicated to future Call of Duty games. Are military FPS games on the way out now, too?

Folks on the RB forum are hopeful this means those "exclusive" GH artists - Metallica, Van Halen, Soundgarden and The Eagles among them - will start popping up in RB.

As well, Activision has stated that the GH DLC for February will be the last. Online play & availability of current DLC will continue for now - no word if/when this support will end.

Somewhere far away from the AVS Forum, BASHERS33 is shedding a tear.....

post #102 of 118 Old 02-12-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw the GH news. Yes, too many versions. Glad I switched after GH:A.

Now if they'd only get Journey out before RB is effected!
post #103 of 118 Old 02-18-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RB DLC for 2/22/11 - Pat Benatar 6 pack

Fire and Ice
Love is a Battlefield
Shadows of the Night
We Belong X
Invincible
Promises in the Dark

X=Pro guitar/bass upgrade

Pack will run 1000 Points for Wii rockers.

The missus is stoked in my house....

post #104 of 118 Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

3/1 RB3 DLC

Nine Inch Nails' "Pretty Hate Machine" 4 pack - ties in w/ the recent release of NiN's remastered debut album.

• “Terrible Lie”
• “Head Like a Hole” X
• “Sanctified”
• “The Only Time”

X=Pro guitar/bass upgrade

Pack price for Wii is 700 POints.

As well, next week is when RB3's Squier Pro Stratocaster is released. So, HMX is also making available on 3/1 a number of new Pro upgrades to existing RB Store tracks. Upgrades will run 100 Points each.

* Blink 182 – “Dammit”
* Boston – “More Than A Feeling”
* Creedence Clearwater Revival – “Bad Moon Rising”
* Creedence Clearwater Revival – “Fortunate Son (Original Version)”
* Eve 6 – “Inside Out”
* The James Gang – “Funk #49″
* The Knack – “My Sharona (Cover Version)”
* Lynyrd Skynyrd – “Simple Man”
* Metallica – “…And Justice for All”
* The Offspring – “Self Esteem”
* Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble – “Pride and Joy”

post #105 of 118 Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now here is an interesting DLC offering...

Week of 3/8 RB3 DLC

Depeche Mode Pack #1 - the 1st RB appearence of the Brit synth-rock legends (and another set of tunes to rock the keys like last week's NIN pack):

• Depeche Mode – “Never Let Me Down Again”
• Depeche Mode – “Personal Jesus” X
• Depeche Mode – “Policy of Truth”

• Death Cab For Cutie – “I Will Possess Your Heart”

The DM pack will run 550 Wii Points & comparable prices for PS360. Personal Jesus will have a Pro guitar/bass option for an extra buck.

The Death Cab single is 200 Points as usual.

post #106 of 118 Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

3/22 DLC - Billy Joel Piano Challenge

I Go to Extremes
Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)
My Life
Prelude/Angry Young Man X
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
She's Always a Woman

6 more tracks from Billy Joel - these mostly leaning towards more pro keys-centered charts (moreso than the initial Joel hits pack, anyway - although all of those had keys parts of varying difficulty)

6 pack runs 1000 points. Not too sure I'm jumping on this one soon - although most of the tracks are tunes I dig.

post #107 of 118 Old 03-30-2011, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So, anybody here get their hands on the Fender guitar yet? I've seen some videos online, and looks very promising.

I started with Guitar Hero 3, which I think had the best song list of the Guitar Heroes I bought (Aerosmith, 4, 5) I wish 4 players could play on GH3... but I digress. GH is now dead, and I think that may be in large part to Rock Band's inclusion of the ability to play a real guitar.

So back on point, this is definitely of great interest to me. The only reason I got into Guitar Hero was a friend brought it over one night, and we played it a lot ever since. But from the first time I saw the game, I thought it was kinda silly if it didn't teach you real guitar.

Well, now Rock Band does!

One concern I do have is that I have a colletion of 4 plastic guitars for the Wii. I'm thinking that if I want to start learning real guitar via Rock Band, I may want to get RB3 for the PS3 so that the fret numbers show up more clearly. Do the numbers show up clear enough in the Wii version? I know that for Rock Band 2, lyrics on the Wii were at times hard to read.

Ultimately jumping to the PS3 version would be a no-brainer if I didn't already have a collection of Wii guitars which would work just fine for Rock Band 3 Wii... Perhaps I could help finance the PS3 setup by selling off all the Wii stuff and buying RB3, the Midi adapter, a Fender, and two PS3 "standard" Rock Band guitars...
post #108 of 118 Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post

So, anybody here get their hands on the Fender guitar yet? I've seen some videos online, and looks very promising.

I started with Guitar Hero 3, which I think had the best song list of the Guitar Heroes I bought (Aerosmith, 4, 5) I wish 4 players could play on GH3... but I digress. GH is now dead, and I think that may be in large part to Rock Band's inclusion of the ability to play a real guitar.

So back on point, this is definitely of great interest to me. The only reason I got into Guitar Hero was a friend brought it over one night, and we played it a lot ever since. But from the first time I saw the game, I thought it was kinda silly if it didn't teach you real guitar.

Well, now Rock Band does!

One concern I do have is that I have a colletion of 4 plastic guitars for the Wii. I'm thinking that if I want to start learning real guitar via Rock Band, I may want to get RB3 for the PS3 so that the fret numbers show up more clearly. Do the numbers show up clear enough in the Wii version? I know that for Rock Band 2, lyrics on the Wii were at times hard to read.

Ultimately jumping to the PS3 version would be a no-brainer if I didn't already have a collection of Wii guitars which would work just fine for Rock Band 3 Wii... Perhaps I could help finance the PS3 setup by selling off all the Wii stuff and buying RB3, the Midi adapter, a Fender, and two PS3 "standard" Rock Band guitars...

Not sure where others stand on this, but to me they lyrics on RB3 Wii are in fact "clearer" than they were in RB2. I'd say rent a copy of RB3 for Wii first & see for yourself.

While you could sell off the Wii gear to help finance PS3 stuff, you are pretty much resigned at this point to Craigslist, EBAY, etc - places like GameStop no longer take RB/GH gear in trade. Game discs? Yes. Plastic instruments? Not any more.

As well, outside of keys & microphones, new RB gear is hard to find in brick & mortar stores. Many retailers simply will not stock this stuff anymore (particualry drums & traditional RB guitars). Best bet would be Amazon, where all RB gear for all platforms is normally stocked.

I've messed around a bit w/ the RB3 Squier Strat @ my local Best Buy (also the only retailer I've encountered that stocks this outside of online). It's an interesting guitar - basically a low end Chinese Strat w/ some crazy electronics inside (incl under the fretboard, which is a weird plastic material). Keep in mind, I am biased when it comes to electric guitars as I have played guitar for over 25 years & am accoustomed to far better built instruments. This guitar will also ONLY work for Pro tracks - traditional RB guitar playing will not work here (however, the "fake" Pro Fender plastic Mustang can serve double duty for regular & Pro RB guitar and is a tad cheaper)

That said, RB3 Pro guitar is kinda cool. Will it make you Eddie Van Halen? NO! But it does a decent job of illustrating the basics of playing. Some of the easier tunes from the game (Ramones, Joan Jett) will, with practice, have you playing those songs "for real". However, the Pro Strat does not track or account for things like bent/sliding notes, whammy bar (Pro Strat lacks one), harmonics, notes beyond a certain fret, etc. Needless to say, there are a number of RB3 pro guitar tracks that, if playing thru an amp simultaneously, will NOT sound much like the original track at all.

In terms of "pro", I find drums being the closest to the real deal. Plus, EVERY RB song is Pro Drums ready. Guitar makes for a decent introductory learning tool. Keys, to me at least, are more akin to RB parts on a keyboard cranked to a crazy difficulty level as opposed to a legit piano trainer. My brother in law, who has played piano/keys for 30 years, found pro keys to be NOTHING like actually playing the parts - but did find it challenging & sorta fun.

As well, do you already have RB2 for Wii? Have you purchased any songs from the RB2 store? If so, switching to PS3 means you LOSE all those purchased tracks. RB3 Wii, OTOH, will work with existing RB2 store tracks.

ON Wii, what you really lack is the ability to export most all RB content into RB3. Wii users can import about 75% of the RB2 disc tracks & all of Green Day RB into the RB3 library. For PS3, the above is true as well as importing most or all of:

RB1
Lego RB
AC/DC Live track pack
Any & all track pack discs

Granted, you gotta BUY all those game first & then pay AGAIN to load 'em into RB3 - but you do have more import options on PS3.

But as any huge RB fan can tell you, if you want the "full" RB experience, you should be playing it on XBOX360, the preferred console of Harmonix. If it's something one can do in/with RB, it's doable on 360. PS3 & Wii have some "limitations" in terms of available content. & whatnot.

post #109 of 118 Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

For the guitar, yeah, I noticed that some of the parts look to be of questionable quality. But I was looking into getting a real guitar several years ago, and am aware that I won't be getting something high quality since the good stuff seems to all be in the four figure arena. But at least this can get me started and will be a relatively inexpensive way for me to see if I really like it.

I did read one review where they had a pro guitar player, a guitar teacher, a beginning guitarist, and a gamer with no guitar experience play the game and give their opinions. What I got out of it was that even for a total guitar noob, the game is fun and introduces you to the basics slowly. AAd while you can get halfway decent (emphasis on halfway) with just the game, the limitations which you mentioned will require me to go for actual lessons if I decide I want to be serious about playing guitar. (or wait for Rock Band 4 and hope it is more capable in that it will be able to detect the more advanced techniques, albeit possibly with a more advanced guitar controller)

As far as switching to PS3 (don't have an Xbox), I don't have any Wii Rock Band titles. And I've downloaded very few GH songs. There won't be very many songs I'll miss from World Tour, or GH5.

However, sounds like I should probably stick with Wii, that way I don't have to repurchase 4 plastic guitars for nights we have friends over and don't want to play non-pro mode songs. Further it sounds like the lower resolution won't effect my ability to see the fret numbers. If it is a problem, I can just get RB3 for the PS3 also since the guitar will work with either system (I'd just have to get two midi boxes) If all goes well and my wife likes it also, we may end up getting two guitar controllers!

Question on downloadable content. Are the track packs available in stores downloadable individually? Also, if I buy a used track pack, will I be able to load it into my system? I know with Guitar Hero you had to give it a serial number to import prior versions. Not sure if that holds true with Rock Band. My other concern is we are stationed in Germany, and I'm thinking that downloadable content may not work at all. Both Netflix and online Amazon music purchases don't work for us because we are not in the US. Not sure if this is also true of the Rock Band series.

Thanks!
post #110 of 118 Old 03-30-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Question on downloadable content. Are the track packs available in stores downloadable individually? Also, if I buy a used track pack, will I be able to load it into my system? I know with Guitar Hero you had to give it a serial number to import prior versions. Not sure if that holds true with Rock Band. My other concern is we are stationed in Germany, and I'm thinking that downloadable content may not work at all. Both Netflix and online Amazon music purchases don't work for us because we are not in the US. Not sure if this is also true of the Rock Band series.

Thanks!
AS to being in the EU - I do know that RB players on PS3 & Wii have occasionally different release dates for content, but not sure how this ties in with your Wii Shop account & being either there or in the States. But since Wii Shop content is locked to the console it was purchased on, I don't think there would be an issue if/when you head back to the US or elsewhere. Not sure, though - I'd check w/ Nintendo.

For RB3 imports - again, it's only RB2 & Green Day RB that are importable on the Wii. RB2 requires only that your Wii has RB2 save data on it to "cash in the code"...that & 1000 Wii Points for the 60-odd tracks you'll get. Green Day - also 1000 Points for the import pack - requires the unique code printed on the back cover of the game's manual to be entered. No other RB disc is currently exportable to Wii.

As to track pack discs - no, they are not available for import for Wii. That said, every track one can find on those discs is also available for DL in the RB3 Store. Track packs were issued in part for those on any console who perhaps were not connected online or otherwise were unable to utilize the Store. These discs can be imported into RB3 on the other consoles, although they also may carry an additional import fee, I believe.

One thing that Harmonix improved for Wii rockers with the current game was in fact the Store & how Wii users can get & store content. RB2 introduced Wii users to RB DLC for the 1st time (GH World Tour beat RB to the punch on Wii w/ DLC). Unfortunatley due to both Nintendo's online "rules" as well as Wii memory limits, RB2 Store tracks were available as singles only - no album/track pack discounts or multi-downloads. Made buying a full album or artist pack pricier on Wii than PS360.

RB3 Wii has since made packs/albums available - incl. those packs/albums from the RB/RB2 era that were single DLs only for RB2 Wii. While tracks are still DL-ed one @ a time, RB3 Store marks all tracks in the pack as purchased when you buy it. You can then DL as many or all of the tracks you wish from said pack/album. The ability to cherry pick from album/pack/song import packs is something only Wii users can currently do. Comes in handy, for example, for "repeat content"

A couple months back, RB3 saw 2 Queen packs for RB3. One consisted of previously available tracks from the RB2 era, but now with key/Pro keys, multi-vocals & insome cases Pro guitar upgrades. The 2nd Queen pack also had the 2 tracks from Lego RB (We Are the Champions/We Will Rock You) which PS360 folks may have had in their RB3 library via import (again, not for Wii users). While HD console owners complained about having double entries for some Queen songs, Wii users could delete any old Queen pack songs they wished, or could buy the new pack & cherry pick which ones they wanted sent to the SD card. This came in handy for me w/ the RB2 import, as I simply did not want to ever see or hear Alabama Getaway or Shackler's Revenge in my RB library ever again (no offense to fans, but I cannot stand either the Grateful Dead or GnR sans Slash )

Another recent RB3 release - Bon Jovi's Greatest Hits pack - had some RB1, RB2 & Lego era tracks get the "RB3 Version" treatment, too. These serve a nice secondary purpose for Wii users- a way to get some of the currently non-importable tracks into your library.

As well, if you go w/ RB3 on Wii & plan on getting some Store tracks....get a decent-sized SDHC card. Wii's paltry int. memory will only hold a small number of songs. RB3 Wii added SDHC support for DLC, giving you up to 32GB of space for tracks. I use a 16GB card for RB3 myself - currently, my RB library is @ 526 tracks with room to grow.

post #111 of 118 Old 03-31-2011, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm. My Wii was purchased in the US and my account was created in the US. It was only recently that we moved to Germany. I know that for the Playstation Network, I can't purchase points with an APO address, but can use a PSN card. Maybe once I get back home to Germany I'll have to float a trial baloon and try to re-download a GHWT song I've already purchased. Hopefully the Wii store allows for APO billing addresses. If nothing else, I'll just have to buy a card with points on it from the BX. I'm just hoping it's not like Netflix where it won't allow me to download at all because my IP is outside the US.

I do have a 2GB SD card in my Wii, but have been planning on getting a larger card. Haven't needed it just yet. Perhaps I'll get a 32GB card for my camera and use my 8GB in my Wii. Depends on how many songs I want and if I decide to finally repurchase all my cartridge games on the Virtual Console.
post #112 of 118 Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm. My Wii was purchased in the US and my account was created in the US. It was only recently that we moved to Germany. I know that for the Playstation Network, I can't purchase points with an APO address, but can use a PSN card. Maybe once I get back home to Germany I'll have to float a trial baloon and try to re-download a GHWT song I've already purchased. Hopefully the Wii store allows for APO billing addresses. If nothing else, I'll just have to buy a card with points on it from the BX. I'm just hoping it's not like Netflix where it won't allow me to download at all because my IP is outside the US.

I do have a 2GB SD card in my Wii, but have been planning on getting a larger card. Haven't needed it just yet. Perhaps I'll get a 32GB card for my camera and use my 8GB in my Wii. Depends on how many songs I want and if I decide to finally repurchase all my cartridge games on the Virtual Console.

Unless you plan to go nuts with DLC, you might get by fine with an 8-16gb card. Certainly cheaper.

In my case, I use 2 SD cards with my Wii. A 16GB dedicated to RB3 with 440+ tracks (roughly 1/2 full at this point) & an 8gb with all our WiiWare/VC stuff & Beatles RB/Just Dance 2 DLC.

post #113 of 118 Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DLC for 4/5/11

All singles this time...and an eclectic mix.

Grand Funk Railroad - The Loco-Motion
· Grand Funk Railroad - We're an American Band X
· J. Geils Band - Freeze-Frame X
· Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart X

x = Pro Guitar upgrade available

Never been a fan of Grand Funk, but oddly both J Geils & Joy Division tracks are major parts of my adolesent/teen years. Will be getting those 2 for sure.

post #114 of 118 Old 04-22-2011, 06:09 PM

Liked: 11
Good evening all!!

My sincere apologies if this has been asked/answered in the previous 3 pages of this thread, but I did try to search for this information with negative results...

I have a Nintendo Wii and bought Band Hero which came with the 6 piece drum set (if you count the kick pedal). I've looked at some Rock Band games and can NEVER get a straight answer as to whether or not the GH/Band Hero drum set works with any of the Rock Band games.

Has anyone been able to get a Rock Band game to work with the GH/BH drums and if so, how? If they do work, are there any adjustments that have to be made?

Second question...can you purchase Rock Band songs through the online Wii Store (or whatever it's called) if they're even available and play those songs on GH/BH??

Thanks in advance for any responses...Peace out!!!
JB

"If you're a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too..." - Maj. Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne
post #115 of 118 Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airking99 View Post

Good evening all!!

My sincere apologies if this has been asked/answered in the previous 3 pages of this thread, but I did try to search for this information with negative results...

I have a Nintendo Wii and bought Band Hero which came with the 6 piece drum set (if you count the kick pedal). I've looked at some Rock Band games and can NEVER get a straight answer as to whether or not the GH/Band Hero drum set works with any of the Rock Band games.

Has anyone been able to get a Rock Band game to work with the GH/BH drums and if so, how? If they do work, are there any adjustments that have to be made?

Second question...can you purchase Rock Band songs through the online Wii Store (or whatever it's called) if they're even available and play those songs on GH/BH??

Thanks in advance for any responses...Peace out!!!
JB

WIth RB on the Wii, you can use the BH/GH gear with:

Rock Band 3
Rock Band 2
Beatles & Green Day RB
Lego Rock Band

1st RB & the various track packs are only playable w/ RB gear on the Wii. Most all track pack disc songs - save for the AC/DC LIVE disc - are available via the RB Store found within RB3.

RB drums are charted as four colors (red, yellow, blue, green) + kick (orange). THe BH drum setup differs physically, so you will need to adjust accordingly, Some RB songs may be kind of weird to play when a BH cymbal is charted to a drum sound. But they will work. GH Guitars will operate just fine with the above games & the microphones are interchangeable.

No, DLC is not interchangeable btwn the 2 franchises.

post #116 of 118 Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

WIth RB on the Wii, you can use the BH/GH gear with:

Rock Band 3
Rock Band 2
Beatles & Green Day RB
Lego Rock Band

1st RB & the various track packs are only playable w/ RB gear on the Wii. Most all track pack disc songs - save for the AC/DC LIVE disc - are available via the RB Store found within RB3.

RB drums are charted as four colors (red, yellow, blue, green) + kick (orange). THe BH drum setup differs physically, so you will need to adjust accordingly, Some RB songs may be kind of weird to play when a BH cymbal is charted to a drum sound. But they will work. GH Guitars will operate just fine with the above games & the microphones are interchangeable.

No, DLC is not interchangeable btwn the 2 franchises.

Thanks for all the info, JWEBB!!!

"If you're a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too..." - Maj. Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne
post #117 of 118 Old 04-23-2011, 01:01 AM

I never played RB before getting RB3 for Christmas, so it's all been new to me, and I've learned a lot since then. Talked to people, read on the Net, and played -- a lot. (I got really lucky; got the full RB2 box set at the local Target.) Pro drums are my thing -- never played drums before! DH trying to learn keys, and pro guitar on the Squire.

One of the local Gamestop guys (on PS3) bought the device that's supposed to allow using any MIDI guitar, and found that it only works with Xbox. It's apparently designed for musicians who want to encode their songs for RBN. So anybody reading this thread who's thinking of spending a lot of money on a serious guitar and going that route on the Wii -- double check first that it will work.

Import info -- According to rockband.com, Xbox and PS3 importability is the same; Wii is different. The former can import pretty much everything (with a fee, of course), although sometimes individual tracks are not included. The latter can only import RB2 and Green Day. (TB:RB can't be imported by anybody.)

Wii owners also get shorted on DLC availability. Besides not having any new RBN content available, there were 9 tracks by Harmonix artists that were excluded from the RB2 import -- Harmonix said that they were planning to make these tracks available as a free DLC pack. And they did, two months ago. But not for Wii. Still not available for Wii, free or otherwise.

For the person with the four "classic" Wii guitars -- If you haven't bought RB3 yet, those are some things I would take into consideration. Plus -- Controllers for the Wii are harder to find and more expensive than they are for Xbox or PS3. The keytar seems to be about the same, but the drums were running a lot higher, and the old RB2 box sets, which are no longer being made, definitely more rare and valuable. You couldn't re-sell your guitars at Gamestop, but you could sell them on eBay, and buy PS3 ones, and have money left over. Probably. If you're good with eBay, and so inclined, it's worth checking.

Another factor -- reliability. RB3 is not the most stable game. Don't get me wrong -- we love it! We play it a lot! It crashes, we just wait a minute or two hoping it will come back -- sometimes it does -- and if it doesn't, we pop the card out (a bit of extra insurance to try to keep it from messing up the card) and press "Reset". Then hold down the power button if that doesn't work. Xbox and PS3 have had some patches released. Wii hasn't, and none are planned.

And yet I'm glad I have RB3 on the Wii. Why? Because I can play it over the Net with my friends. I have a PS3, so I could have gone that route, and might have asked for the PS3 version if I'd known then what I know now. But the friends I play with only have a Wii, and playing across the Net doesn't work cross-console, so I wouldn't have been able to play with them except on their rare visits. The dreamscapes are kind of painful, and it would be nice to see their avatars, and mine. But even knowing that they're playing on the other end, is still good.

So if you play with long-distance friends across the Net, that's a factor to consider when deciding which console to get RB3 for, if you have a choice.

This is definitely a better forum to seek advice. I've spent a lot of time at rockband.com (as Kelinmiriel), and there are some people who are really hostile towards those of us who play on a Wii. I haven't even seen a really good answer to why so many things are so unequal, but I have seen the question posed, and there are plenty of Xbox and PS3 fans there ready to attack the poster with Why would you do something so stupid as buy it for a Wii in the first place? (Maybe it's the only console he/she has?)

Another good place for info is scorehero.com. I've been getting a lot out of reading there; haven't felt the need to post anything yet.

Oh, and regarding the post about lyrics -- I noticed in one song we bought, Jimmy Buffet's "Volcano", that he had changed a few words. He must've re-recorded the song just for Rock Band, or at least part of it, because he sings about playing Rock Band. We might not have noticed it, but we were doing vocals on it. We all got a good laugh out of that! Probably brought our score down.

Sorry this is so long, but I hope some of it's useful.
post #118 of 118 Old 05-09-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@Amethyst Dancer - re-records are fairly common in RB. In most cases, an artist provides a re-recording due to original masters being unusable/lost/tied up in legal woes. Last year's Styx pack consisted of 3 classic tunes that the current incarnation re-did for the game. All 3 were songs both written & sung originally (as well as on the new recordings) by Tommy Shaw - no love for (or lost between) the remaining Styx lineup & former frontman Dennis DeYoung.

Night Ranger gave RB some re-records as DLC last year, but the original recording of Sister Christian made it onto the RB3 disc.

On the RB3 disc, one re-record is of the Muffs track "Outer Space". I know the band personally - well, their drummer Roy McDonald at least, as he's married to a good friend of mine. The original masters were apparently "lost" by Warner Bros at some point when the tapes for the Muffs album the tune came from were used for a WB movie soundtrack - and the masters never made it back to the WB vault. Muffs frontwoman Kim Shattuck basically re-recorded her guitar & vocal parts (as well as a new bass line) in her home studio, then copy/pasted a drum track Roy had recently recorded for the soon to be released new Muffs album. The drum track essentially matched Outer Space (some digital tweaks were performed) & a new "RB3 Mix" was born. I believe the band has or planned to issue the "RB3 Version" of Outer Space as a single.

While they have not issued any that I recall for quite some time, HMX was in the practice of releasing "cover versions" of classic tracks as DLC if original recordings were not available. RB covers vary in quality, but I can state from personal experience that the RB Black Sabbath pack - 3 tracks (War Pigs, NIB & Sweet Leaf - the cover of Paranoid is on the 1st RB game) redone by HMX employees that are pretty damn convincing covers - whoever was handling the vocals does a solid Ozzy impression.

This week, of course, is all ORIGINAL music. It's not a year in RB without at least one more Foo Fighters/Dave Grohl pack.....this week we get a 4 pack, including 2 tunes from thier new album Wasting Light. As well, 2 previously available Foos RB tracks will get the option for Pro Guitar upgrades. 2 other singles from Lordi & Run-DMC also coming.

• Foo Fighters – “Long Road to Ruin”
• Foo Fighters – “Rope” X
• Foo Fighters – “Stacked Actors”
• Foo Fighters – “Walk”

• Lordi – “Hard Rock Hallelujah”
• Run-DMC – “King of Rock”

x = Pro Guitar/Bass upgrade available

Pro Guitar Additions for Legacy Songs

• Foo Fighters – “Monkey Wrench”
• Foo Fighters – “The Pretender"

Foos 4 pack will set Wii rockers back 700 points for the whole set.

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page