Sin & Punishment : Star Successor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So - anyone take interest in this one yet?

I have never played the Japan-only N64 original - which is on Virtual Console for us Western gamers.

Game has been getting high marks. IGN issued a 9/10 over the weekend. Looks to be a frantic shooter - kinda short, but apparently screams multiple replay according to most opinions.

Not sure I'm gonna run out & grab this immediately, but a rental at least is on the horizon. ne review mentioned renting this & that said rental may cause you to end up buying it. Well see....

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-28-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
I've been playing it. I think the high marks are from two things:

1) Affection for the first title. It was a cult classic that was never released in North America until the Virtual Console release. The original was on people's most-wanted-for-localization list for years. So I think this new one is getting higher marks because of that.

2) There aren't many games like this on Wii. There are a few shmups, but this is a shmup from Treasure. That alone is an automatic high grade from most people.

My thoughts: the first one is much, much better (and much cheaper). Sections of the new game are brilliant. And as a co-op shooter, it's amazing. But the big sell for the new one is the addition of leaderboards, but scores only register for full levels. IMO since each level lasts anywhere from 20-40 minutes and your score resets when you die, it makes leaderboards entirely useless for anyone but the hardest of hardcore fans.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #3 of 12 Old 06-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
what's a shmup?

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #4 of 12 Old 06-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
i beleive it stands for shoot-em-up...

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

post #5 of 12 Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM

I always call these games shooters... right back to Galaxian, Galaga, etc. I don't know why, but it annoys me when all these first-person games today are called shooters. It's just not the same kind of game mechanic. I've learned to be more tolerant in recent times, though.

Anyway, shooters have always been my favorite kind of game. Something about playing a satisfying twitchfest with a bunch of bullets flying all over the place. I've only played through the first couple of stages of Star Successor, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far... A bit easier to control than the first game. Let's you concentrate on the action more.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-30-2010, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAVAN30 View Post

i beleive it stands for shoot-em-up...

Indeed it does. Since FPS fans have stolen the name "shooter" from us older gamers, most fans have switched terminology to avoid confusion. But you'll still see terms like "top-down shooter" or "side-scrolling shooter" to refer to shmups.

But, yes, I still call them "shooter" in my heart.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #7 of 12 Old 07-01-2010, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

just put mine on order. should have it next week. hopefully i'll have enough time to finish red steel 2 by then!

PC/PS3/360/Wii U

post #8 of 12 Old 07-05-2010, 01:05 PM

I would highly recommend this game to anyone that likes "Shmups" or just good games in general.

PSN: soundofav8
X-Box Live: soundofav8
post #9 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

received the game yesterday and boy, it is HARD! i jumped right in on hard difficulty and after dying 38 times, deleted and started over on easy.

good game with good production values. a good looking game too!

PC/PS3/360/Wii U

post #10 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 04:07 PM

Forget easy! At least start it on Normal. I'm only on stage 4 and bought the game on release day. Granted I've not played it too much, but I find myself replaying boss fights 20 times and up. One of the best things in this game is finding out boss weaknesses and adjusting your attack pattern accordingly.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-12-2010, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have yet to get this one, but did grab the N64 original via Virtual Console over the weekend.

Good stuff! A easy game to drop into & blast away for a bit, but I can see where a marathon session could be in order as well. And being stuck w/ Classic controls, I can also see why so many reviews for the sequel have praised the Wiimote/nunchuk option.

Still - a great game. Has me wanting the sequel even more.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #12 of 12 Old 07-19-2010, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And grabbed this one - used (and w/ it's Club Nintendo code still in the box - hey, more Club coins!!) over the weekend.

Very much an improvement over the already cool N64 original. And as I expected, Wiimote pointing trumps the analog stick handily. May even dig out the old Zapper to check that control option out.

Very cool game that can in fact be a hardcore time eater, or just a quick blast of "bullet hell" once in a while. Very cool - and very cool to look at, too.

Beating various bosses ramps up to somewhat complex "puzzles" that can try one's patience w/ multiple re-trys, but the fun of blasting crap away & the nice looks help ease that particular pain.

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page