Wii Repair + Virtual Console Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-05-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay - please forgive me if this is elsewhere, but I couldn't find a straight answer to this question in another forum... so I am posing it here.

I have a launch Wii - long ago I noticed that it had graphical issues, but never did much about it - first noticed it while playing Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition back when it launched.

Anyway, I didn't really think anything of it, and always assumed it was the cables. Then the other month I bought an HDTV and some component cables, and still had the graphical issues. So I do some research here and lo and behold, I have a very common problem. Solution - send in console for repair and my graphical glitches are gone! Hooray!

But now the problem is my years of Virtual Console downloads. Now, I knooooow that if I send in my console, the VC games may get erased, but I can always re-download them. The problem is that I don't want to lose the data saved on the games! So many VC games saved in completion - Shining Force 2, Link's Adventure, SNES SimCity where I finally reached megalopolis (a major acheivement for me!!!)

I don't want to risk losing these. I know I can't just buy a new console and transfer the data over either cuz the data is locked to specific console, just like the virtual console store history is.

So I realize that when you get your console repaired, or possibly replaced, that the Nintendo repair folks will re-synchronize your system with the virtual console store.

SOOOOOOOOO - my question is this - if I first transfer all of my VC games to SD Card (which we can fortunately do now), then ship in my console, when it comes back will I be able to transfer them back onto my console if it's the same console? Alternatively, what if they send me back a different console that is synched to the same VC store info - will that mean that those same games that I have on my SD Card can be transferred back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-05-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Just store your saves (They're independent from the VC game files). I'm unaware of any Virtual Console saves being locked to the console that created it. Just stick them on a SD card and then transfer them back once it arrives. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I think Nintendo usually tries to keep a person's saves intact, so you might not even have to worry about it. You also should mention that you have Virtual Console downloads just to ensure it's not overlooked and that they pay attention to the data on your Wii.

I'm unsure if your VC games themselves could be saved on your SD card and successfully transferred back when the replacement arrives. They might be looking for a specific console serial number. It all depends on how Nintendo's DRM works for digital downloads. But even the largest N64 and NeoGeo downloads go pretty quickly so it's not much of a problem if you must redownload your games.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Confirming that VC game saves (not the games themselves - just save data) can be moved to another Wii w/ the same game is installed. My Mario 64 save data can be used when playing the same game on a friend's Wii, for example. What you can't do is play your purchased copy of a VC/WiiWare game on another Wii.

As to a repaired/replacement Wii, Leo is right. Nintendo will generally be able to move most everything over. One thing I have heard that is a for sure is your Wii Shop account. Any & all Wii Shop account data will be moved to the unit you get back (it likely will not be the one you sent in, but a factory refurb). Because of this, the VC games you bought on the original Wii will be recognized on the replacement. And at worst, every title you ever bought will still appear as Purchased on Wii Shop & be re-downloadable.

But best to mention to Nintendo during the repair process that you have made several Wii Shop purchases & what to make sure that data gets copied over or remains intact.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #4 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks!

I think that answers my question - just worried about games with saved state data, or with saved data built in (not a separate save file, like Mario Kart 64). Sounds like Nintendo's repair folks shoooould be pretty good about restoring all of my data - and at worst I will have to play through my VC games again and complete them again... but hopefully that will not be the case!
post #5 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

In the end, Nintendo is looking to protect what you purchased, as opposed to individual game saves. But dumping the existing saves - and even the VC games themselves - to an SD couldn't hurt.

BTW - the "graphics issue" leading to the repair? While Nintendo has not officially said so, the common belief is that the weird pixels & whatnot you were/are seeing on some games are caused by the graphics chip/card getting cooked internally. Said graphcis processing occurs right next door to the Wii's WiFi circuitry, which itself can get warm.

I started seeing the issue myself on REIV, COD:W@W, SSBB, Madden 09 & most recently the opening menu for NSMBW. I did 2 things in the past that did not 100% eliminate the issue, but seems to have lessened it quite a bit. Enough that I have yet to bother getting an RMA to fix it.

1- If the Wii gets a lot of use, you might consider a cooling fan. Several 3rd parties make USB cooling fans that bolster the kinda weak one the Wii has built in. They can be found simply as a USB fan or even a combo of fan & Wii stand (oftern called "cooling stations")

2- Biggest factor in keeping the Wii internals nice & cool? Turn OFF the Standby Connection option of WiiConnect24. When Standby is ON, the Wii never totally powers down. Power light goes to yellow & the WiFi circuitry remains active (and generates heat) to get various updates/messages. Turning Standby to OFF leads to the power light going red & the Wii esentially shuts down (still a very small amount of power being drawn). Only drawback is that various messages & whatnot won't make it to your Wii until you turn it on again.

Also a good idea to occasionally take a hand vacuum to the Wii's own fan to suck out any dust/hairballs/etc that may be keeping the Wii from cooling off properly during play time.

Not saying this will end the need for your repair - yours may be too cooked @ this point. But a good thing to consider once the repaired/replaced Wii gets back to you.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #6 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

1- If the Wii gets a lot of use, you might consider a cooling fan. Several 3rd parties make USB cooling fans that bolster the kinda weak one the Wii has built in. They can be found simply as a USB fan or even a combo of fan & Wii stand (oftern called "cooling stations")
Also a good idea to occasionally take a hand vacuum to the Wii's own fan to suck out any dust/hairballs/etc that may be keeping the Wii from cooling off properly during play time.

Just call me John Stockton... here with the assist, amigo!

http://www.meritline.com/wii-mini-co...x?source=s2010

Now you can buy one and tell us how well it works before the sale is over
post #7 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice find voodoozen -if fact, the one I have looks to be the same unit, although it was bought @ Circuit City during their last days - it was under their Firedog brand name (IIRC). This unit -if in fact the exact same - stays on when the Wii is in Standby (yellow power light) mode. Should keep things cooler if you desire your Wii to get updates & messages when not "on".

post #8 of 9 Old 07-09-2010, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I couldn't agree more with the advice to keep WiiConnect24 turned off. It's basically a useless feature that is cooking the Wii 24/7 needlessly.

The Wifi even stays on when WiiConnect24 is enabled if your active internet connection is a wired one using a USB adapter.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

I couldn't agree more with the advice to keep WiiConnect24 turned off. It's basically a useless feature that is cooking the Wii 24/7 needlessly.

The Wifi even stays on when WiiConnect24 is enabled if your active internet connection is a wired one using a USB adapter.

And if you just HAVE to get those messages about MK Wii tourneys, said data will pop up shortly after you power up your Wii out of it's non-Standby mode.

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page