post #1 of 15 Old 07-14-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/...35310_640w.jpg

http://gear.ign.com/dor/articles/110...page=mediaFull

Looks like Activision is really going to push the next Call of Duty on the Wii. And part of the push are these new Black Ops accessories from MadCatz.

In addition to the PS3/360/PC Black Ops swag, Wii users will have their own new COD-themed controls for sale. 1st image if of the COD Wiimote/nunchuk. Gotta say I kinda like how they did the 1 & 2 buttons & d-pad.

2nd is of a Black Ops-themed Wiimote inductive charger.

Can't say I'm gonna run out & get either of these items, but nice to see that so far Activision/Treyarch are not giving the Wii version the red-headed stepchild treatment.

Another ray of hope from Treyarch themselves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubed3.com View Post

Speaking to Treyarch's enthusiastic studio head, Mark Lamia, a new and exciting insight has been found in Treyarch's upcoming title, Call of Duty: Black Ops. Set to launch across all the major platforms - Wii, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC - Treyarch have literally thrown their entire 200 personnel team behind the project with a new hands on approach. Within this, the Wii version has been built from the ground up by a separate team, but will be almost exactly the same as its Xbox 360 and PS3 counterparts. Despite the different teams, every area of Treyarch has touched the Wii version - from the the multiplayer team, to the single player team, even the co-op team has joined in the fray. The team are working hard to get the Wii version to match its counterparts frame-for-frame.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/10/11...-other-online/

Voice chat confirmed for COD Black Ops Wii......by PDP, who makes the upcoming 'Headbanger" headset mic for Wii. They have a Black Ops editions coming in November.

SEGA's Conduit 2 will also work with this for online play. No word if this is using the existing WiiSpeak setup is something separate.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #3 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
About damn time, that's going to be fantasti... wait, what? Is that... wired?

If that's the case it'll be near useless. It's a guaranteed tripping hazard/broken $25 accessory (in my house at least). I see Black Ops and Conduit 2 as "Daddy's games" for Wii owners- the game that Dad has to slink downstairs to play after the kids are asleep (ala HOTD:Overkill, mutha$#@^&r!). Forgetfully leave this out on the end table just one night... tomorrow morning it'll be junk after junior runs through it like he's just won the Boston Marathon.

I love the idea of using a headset for these kind of games, would be a huge step towards PS360 level of cool, but not with a tether. Plus I'm 14' from my Wii... and usually stand while I play. Often with adult beverages...

Have to pass if it's not wireless.

-vdz
post #4 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

About damn time, that's going to be fantasti... wait, what? Is that... wired?

If that's the case it'll be near useless. It's a guaranteed tripping hazard/broken $25 accessory (in my house at least). I see Black Ops and Conduit 2 as "Daddy's games" for Wii owners- the game that Dad has to slink downstairs to play after the kids are asleep (ala HOTD:Overkill, mutha$#@^&r!). Forgetfully leave this out on the end table just one night... tomorrow morning it'll be junk after junior runs through it like he's just won the Boston Marathon.

I love the idea of using a headset for these kind of games, would be a huge step towards PS360 level of cool, but not with a tether. Plus I'm 14' from my Wii... and usually stand while I play. Often with adult beverages...

Have to pass if it's not wireless.

-vdz

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I originally thought the same when I picked up a new Rock Band 1 wired drumkit when they were being blown out for $25. And there was also the whole deal w/ a very active 7 yr old who loves to hop around while singing in Rock Band with the wired USB mic...

Then I sunk less than $5 total for a pair of the USB extensions linked above from Monoprice. Gave me an additional 30ft of cable when joined together- and can/will do the same should I go the headset route for Black Ops. I leave at least one of these connected to the USB hub attached to my Wii at all times. I will either use both for drums, or one for drums the other for a USB mic for RB stuff.

Wireless? No. But a cheap way to net you much more freedom regarding where you sit while playing - and less worry about trippin' on cables.

As to leaving it out & having the kids jack it up? Wired or wireless will still die a horrid death when the kiddos get ahold of it.

post #5 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

As to leaving it out & having the kids jack it up? Wired or wireless will still die a horrid death when the kiddos get ahold of it.

Ah, true indeed. Good point on the extensions, might make this worth a buy after all. And man, I do love monoprice.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Ah, true indeed. Good point on the extensions, might make this worth a buy after all. And man, I do love monoprice.

Hell, if Black Ops turns out on Wii as well as Treyarch has claimed it will - we may have to swap some codes, get mic'ed up & smacktalk each other - or those against us!!!

With both USB extenders connected to a RB USB mic in my living room, which makes for an approx 40ft cable, that mic may as well be wireless when it comes to moving around the room.

post #7 of 15 Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.callofduty.com/intel/410?path=intel/410

Interview w/ Anna Donlon, Senior Producer of COD:Black Ops Wii. Still no screenshots yet, but looks like Treyarch has finally made a Wii COD game that is pretty much feature identical w/ it's HD counterparts.

5v5 online returns with all maps/modes/perks the PS360 & PC editions get. Voice chat already confirmed - although still not sure if it HAS to be PDP's Wii headset or if it will also work with exiting WiiSpeak.

While the game still has Friend Codes, a new "allies" system has been implemented to allow you to "friend up" with recent opponents - similar to what Tatsunoko Vs Capcom has done - and EA Sports online titles have mostly done from the get go on Wii.

The interview also gives new info on online co-op & zombie mode which the Wii edition will have.

Classic controller support also added.

post #8 of 15 Old 11-29-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rented this over the holiday.

Good stuff, if you dig on COD. Treyarch seems to have really spent time getting the Wii version as packed w/ goodies as possible. IMO, a better overall game than W@W or MW: Reflex - both in single player & online.

Looks-wise....at least comparable to MW: Reflex, if not a bit better in many cases. Some moments in Goldeneye look better, though. Sound is great & the controls again have an near-OCD level of customization.

The much talked about (elsewhere, at least) "patch" for Black Ops Wii popped up the 1st time I went online. Wondering now if this is just an online "hotfix" or something else, as the game tells you that the patch will take up 50-odd memory blocks & requires you have a Wii Shop account. Perhaps, too, this "patch" frther rpoves that future Black Ops Wii DLC is in fact coming (apparently Activision has said it was likely this time out).

Only spent 2 days total w/ this one. Plowed thru a 3rd of the single player campaign, did a bit of the zombie shootout mode (would be better multiplayer than single, for sure) & spent a few hours leveling up online. Have added this to the XMAS wish list. Btwn this & Goldeneye, Wii has 2 very solid FPS games right now. Curious to see if Conduit 2 will in fact make it 3.

post #9 of 15 Old 12-02-2010, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like the Black Ops Wii "patch" that I was prompted to DL when playing online (and required a WiiShop account & 50 open memory blocks) may be a real patch after all, not just server side hotfixes?

Take from Activision's website - COD Forums - Black Ops Wii FAQ:

Back End Patching - This is also a new feature, previously resisted by Nintendo, now being made possible only because of the Treyarch team, and their efforts. This means having the ability to make full executable changes (patches) to the game code to allow the developers to fix programming bugs in the game. This is also the first time any Wii game has had the ability to have any real ability to fight hackers."

The other "NIntendo-resisted feature" is DLC, according to the same FAQ. Black Ops will be seeing new multiplayer maps - incl. the Zombie one missing from Black Ops Wii right now & posibly the W@W DLC Wii missed out on 2 yrs ago (playable in Black Ops)

edit: interesting thing to note....the recent DL-able "patch" for this game shows up as a 59 block "Pay & Play" memory file, separate from the regualr Black Ops save data. So, a form of DLC can also be a patch? Hmm....

post #10 of 15 Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Activision/Treyarch announced the 1st Black Ops DLC coming in February....to the 360 only.

Word on the interwebs is that MS has a timed exclusive deal w/ ACTI on COD content, but that the other versions will see the same DLC map packs coming possibly in March.

This includes the Wii edition as well. Seems Treyarch found a way - or more likley convinced Nintendo to allow - for new multiplayer map packs to be delivered via WiiShop.

edit: the following link confirms 360 gets the new stuff 2/1/11, PC/PS3/Wii get 'em on 3/1/11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZVm5a1s5vc

post #11 of 15 Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some interesting Nintendo-related info in regards to Black Ops - this comes from the official COD forums, posted by a Wii owner.

Apparently Black Ops is "killing" older Wii disc drives. Due to Wii's limited RAM, Treyarch designed Black Ops to basically stream content (i.e. loading maps & whatnot) direct from disc in sorta-real time as opposed to trying to cram the data into RAM. Due to this, Black Ops tends to put Wii disc drives into overdrive.

Older drives, or those worn from excessive use, can be damaged by this mega activity. In most every case, a Black Ops-damaged drive is in a Wii far out of warranty. With financial support from Activision, here is what NInty is doing for Black Ops Wii owners who end up with unusable drives..

The following is copied from a COD forum member's communication w/ Nintendo of America support:

1.) Nintendo has an open case on Black Ops. Prior to mentioning that I was playing Black Ops when the disc reading errors occurred, the Nintendo representative was recommending that I purchase a Nintendo endorsed cleaning kit and see if that corrected the issue. If it didn't correct the problem, I would pay $75 plus shipping fees (since my system's one-year manufacture's warranty had expired) to send it to a Nintendo repair shop for them to replace the disc drive. When I finally mentioned the game, the Nintendo Representative said, "Wow. You should have told me you owned Black Ops."

2.) Nintendo will repair a Wii system for FREE if the damage is caused by Black Ops. They will pay for Fed Ex Express shipping. They will pay for replacing the disc drive in the Wii System. They will send it back with a new copy of Black Ops. Why? Nintendo acknowledges that, although this is damage caused by third party software and my warranty has expired, it is software that is legal and bearing the "Official Nintendo Seal." According to the representative, they have had a multitude of similar cases in relation to Black Ops and, in his words, "Activision has caused us a lot of problems with Black Ops."

3.) Disc Drive Errors relating to Black Ops are NOT due to faulty Nintendo Wii consoles. Other sources have claimed that disc drive crashes have occurred only with Wii consoles with pre-existing issues or customer mishandling. Nintendo disagrees. In contrast, the Nintendo representative said certain copies of Black Ops can "put the final nail in the coffin" for older Nintendo Wii consoles, and shorten the lifespan of new Wii consoles due to frequent game freezes. Nintendo believes this is the case to such a degree that it is fixing disc drives at its own cost and seeking reimbursement by Activsion on the back end of the process.

4.) Nintendo will not fix the problem if it sees software or hardware mods installed. The free fix of the disc drive errors is not applicable if the company's techs notice software or hardware mods/hacks installed on the system, regardless if Black Ops is the cause or if you are still under your manufacture warranty.

post #12 of 15 Old 05-20-2011, 07:25 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to turn off the music during the actual game play in multi-player?
post #13 of 15 Old 05-29-2011, 02:48 PM

Does anyone know if the stereo headset with mic from other manufacturers work with Wii Black Ops?
post #14 of 15 Old 05-30-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedweb View Post

Does anyone know if the stereo headset with mic from other manufacturers work with Wii Black Ops?

Only works with PDP's Headbanger headset for Wii.

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Headbanger.../dp/B004ACGO0Y

post #15 of 15 Old 07-30-2011, 05:42 PM

Hey guys im Goldy G I'm in charge of the wii part of Team Tomahawk. We're looking for new recruits so if any of you wanna join up our website's: cod-teamtomahawk.webs.com/ thanks guys just simply sign up and introduce yourself... thanks yours truly,
Goldy G
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page