Want my SNES to output RGB/Component - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 07-21-2010, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Way to read my quote before, you know, quoting it.

"If the disc has any form of copy protection on it, as any console disc PSX or newer has"

Everything you just mentioned is older than the PSX. Also, as I have already said, Bleem did not "win" anything. What they did is "not lose" and only in the loosest sense of the term, as they immediately shut their doors thereafter.

In addition, the DMCA was passed in October 1998, six months before the Sony suit.

Stop trying dude. Your entire post is fail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 07-21-2010, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Well there's a question. Does your display actually accept YUV over component, and not just YPbPr? Also, is there a setting in your display's menu to change the component input from expecting YPbPr to YUV? For analog component on modern displays YPbPr is the default format that you will find everywhere, with YUV being a variant with far less support. I know my last Akai/LG plasma would allow switching between the two formats, but I'm fairly sure that my current Panasonic only allows YPbPr.

Excellent question and it probably explains why my Panasonic TV displays the picture but it looks like a mess as it does not give me that option. However, my DVDO Edge upscaler does give me that choice and I still get no image at all. Strange that I got an image going right to the TV but I got nothing going to the DVDO Edge.

I know my DVDO Edge is capable of it because I did the coolest thing with my Dreamcast. My DVDO Edge has two inputs for component, the second one they call "PC component" with the only difference is it has 2 more inputs for H sync and V sync. Anyway, Dreamcast has native VGA out and I wanted to use that. I bought the Dreamcast to VGA adapter, then some VGA to component cable that was like $3. Difference with this VGA to component adapter however was it had 5 outputs, not 3. I took a guess that the other 2 went to the H sync and V sync. Sure enough I now have a really beautiful image coming from my Dreamcast that I thought was only going to be possible on a PC.

I've been doing so much Googling on the subject I'm going slightly insane. Some people say there's differences between the European SNES SCART cable and the Japanese one. So I bought both. Then there were people saying that the SCART cable that also works on the Gamecube is the one I need. So I bought that. Then there's people who said you can only buy the SCART cable that only works on the SNES; if it works on the Gamecube it won't work for what I'm trying to do. Then there's people who said I'm better off buying a Super Famicom and using the Japanese SCART cable because at least then the two are compatible. But then there's people who said the transcoder I bought is expecting a PAL signal so I should buy a PAL SNES. But then there's people who said the transcoder I bought clearly states NTSC is supported. I think it's pretty simple to see why I am tearing my hair out of this. But I'm loving every second of it.

What I'm not loving is the cost. The Japanese SNES SCART cable is rare as anything and cost me $50. Then I spent another $90 on a Super Famicom and $70 on a PAL SNES. Considering I already have a working SNES, this is pretty ridiculous but I'm a raving lunatic when it comes to my SNES. At the very worst, if none of this works out for me in the end, I can at least nerdily display every SNES console from around the world (luckily I'm already married) .
post #33 of 39 Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 AM

Liked: 93
My first guess would be that the DVDO supports YUV, but is choking on the 240p part.
post #34 of 39 Old 07-21-2010, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My first guess would be that the DVDO supports YUV, but is choking on the 240p part.

This is an excellent guess. The reason I say so is I recently upgraded the firmware on my DVDO Edge and had to switch back to an old one because it choked on S-Video that wasn't 480i. I wonder how the heck (if it's possible) that I can fix this.
post #35 of 39 Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

Way to read my quote before, you know, quoting it.

"If the disc has any form of copy protection on it, as any console disc PSX or newer has"

Everything you just mentioned is older than the PSX. Also, as I have already said, Bleem did not "win" anything. What they did is "not lose" and only in the loosest sense of the term, as they immediately shut their doors thereafter.

In addition, the DMCA was passed in October 1998, six months before the Sony suit.

Stop trying dude. Your entire post is fail.

Jeez, no need to get so spastic over this. And really what was I trying? The only fail I see is you not answering the question about bios files? I was not being a smart ass, I just mentioned that Bleem wasn't considered illegal.

You are right about drm laws. I though they were passed in the 2000's. But as far as Bleem is concerned, Sony sued and lost. That equals Bleem winning. You can argue all you want about them "not losing". But to me not losing = winning.

And the Saturn was released just a few weeks before the Playstation and the emulators for those consoles both require bios files. A normal Saturn won't play burnt discs either, so it has drm also.
post #36 of 39 Old 07-21-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyLongLegs View Post

I did explain I tried every resolution (even custom ones) and was not happy with the way it looked through emulation. I appreciate the help, but I'm going the route of real hardware.

The fact you keep referring to it as "tried every resolution" is why I added my thoughts, as it doesn't really sound like you had it setup right. (ie: Native resolution, filters to scale).

None the less I won't push it when you obviously have no desire to use emulation. Good luck with your project.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #37 of 39 Old 07-22-2010, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

I had a small level of success today after 3 hours of reading up on this stuff (I really am going partially insane here). Apparently I found there's something on SCART called composite sync. So I spliced an RCA cable from that composite sync pin on the SCART cable and ran it to the component sync input on my DVDO Edge upscaler. I got a picture! Finally the DVDO Edge recognized my SNES over RGB. So I guess 240p doesn't make my upscaler crap itself. However, the picture had bizarre colors and was very wavy, so I'm still working on figuring this out. Unless of course someone has some insight for me!
post #38 of 39 Old 09-13-2010, 04:53 PM

DDL, Ive ordered a transcoder myself today, and I already have a genesis scart lead. I'm was hoping to find a snes scart lead, but after stumblng on your post it may prove difficult. I'm going to order a snes scart with av adapter cable today and when it gets here I let you know if I get any results, my display is a sharp aquos LC-60E88UN, so ive been able to display pal on it so we'll see waht happens
post #39 of 39 Old 10-05-2010, 09:13 PM

I finally got around to trying it out today. Used a CVS287 and the official Nintendo Japanese RGB cable. All I got was a distorted picture in only red and black (Sony 46XBR2).
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page