Save Game Progress Super Mario Bros Virtual Console - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-08-2010, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any way to save my game progress? Every time my game's over, I have to start from World 1-1 all over again, very frustrating indeed!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-08-2010, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Are you asking if there is a level select that lets you pick what level you want to play at will after finishing the game? The answer to that is no.

If you want to get to a later level quickly, you'll have to use the warp points hidden at various locations.

If you run out of lives and want to restart at the world you died on, you have to use the continue trick. Hold the 2 button while pressing the + button and you'll restart at the beginning of the world you died on.

And if you just want to save where are currently are, use the save state function of the Wii's NES emulator. Hit the home button and exit to the Wii's channel menu and a save point will be created. Returning to the game brings you back to that point with the home menu up which you then close to pick up where you left off.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-11-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

If you run out of lives and want to restart at the world you died on, you have to use the continue trick. Hold the 2 button while pressing the + button and you'll restart at the beginning of the world you died on.

Was this the case with the original NES as well? If so, I'll LOL at myself, as I had no idea this existed..

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #4 of 9 Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post

Was this the case with the original NES as well? If so, I'll LOL at myself, as I had no idea this existed..

Yep, just replace those buttons with the appropriate NES buttons (Press and hold A and then press start to continue at the beginning of the world you just lost the last of your lives on).
post #5 of 9 Old 08-12-2010, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
LOL @ myself

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #6 of 9 Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I knew the trick for the NES. But sometiems those things feel more like cheating. Just like for kid icarus I think you could do various button presses to start right at the end of the game. And to this day I am so confused whether I ever finished the game straight through or not. My friend claims I did, but I sure don't rememebr it.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
post #7 of 9 Old 08-13-2010, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

If you want to get to a later level quickly, you'll have If you run out of lives and want to restart at the world you died on, you have to use the continue trick. Hold the 2 button while pressing the + button and you'll restart at the beginning of the world you died on.

Just a quick note, in the wii vc game you dont need to hold the 2 button. When it asks to continue just hit + you will restart from the world you were at. (i know this because I played SMB2 Lost levels for approx 3 hours last night)

Strength, Determination, Merciless, Forever
post #8 of 9 Old 08-13-2010, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmfer View Post

Just a quick note, in the wii vc game you dont need to hold the 2 button. When it asks to continue just hit + you will restart from the world you were at. (i know this because I played SMB2 Lost levels for approx 3 hours last night)

We're talking about Super Mario Bros. and not the Japanese release of Super Mario Bros. 2. And what I stated wasn't incorrect. It operates just like the NES original with no changes to the original code for the Virtual Console release.

I even just confirmed it before typing this reply. Hitting just the plus (Start on the NES controller) when you run out of lives beyond world 1 will restart you at 1-1 just like it's supposed to.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

WOW. I thought I was 100% sure the menus system was the same for both games. Since your response I just tried it out....your right. in SMB it returns to the main menu when you croak, but with SMB2, it prompts you for continue or quit (or something like that).

My fault, good thing I didnt bet money on this one.

PS- to the OP what the hell would you ever need to continue for on SMB 1 though...LOL J/kidding, maybe one would use it with kids etc.

See ya guys

Strength, Determination, Merciless, Forever
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page