Gamecube component vs Gamecube on Wii - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2010, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was going to fork out $60 for the GC cables but the used Wii is so cheap thought id just re buy the silly thing. Are Gamecube games on the Wii with component hook up going to look worse,better, or same as if they were being run on the Gamecube with components?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 PM

Liked: 10
Um...the same?

The Wii functions as a Gamecube when a GC game is played. I don't know of or can't imagine the Wii is adding any extra image processing.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceR View Post

Um...the same?

The Wii functions as a Gamecube when a GC game is played. I don't know of or can't imagine the Wii is adding any extra image processing.

ClarenceR is correct - If a Wii can be had on the cheap, go that route. Wii has 4 GC controller ports & 2 memory card slots (Wii internal memory cannot be used for GC game saves) and basically becomes a GC when one of those discs is inserted. Plus, it's also a Wii.

I do think some of the Wii reboots of GC titles are better via their newer versions. Pikmin works nicely due to the Wiimote pointing & the 1st 2 Metroid Prime games also benefit from the Wiimote/nunchuk control scheme/16x9 visuals the Prime Trilogy gives them

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 08-10-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Why did Nintendo stop making the Prime Trilogy? I have the Wii all set up in my house and want to play MP, but the game is like $50 and up.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Metroid Prime Trilogy was discontinued late last year.

Be aware if you go the Wii route that your Game Boy Player if you own one isn't compatible with the Wii. That's the only significant loss with going with the Wii for GameCube use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

I do think some of the Wii reboots of GC titles are better via their newer versions. Pikmin works nicely due to the Wiimote pointing

I agree

It's a shame we didn't get the Pikmin 2 port that Wii owners in Japan and Europe saw. It made Pikmin 1 much more fun to play and I'd of liked to have picked up the port of the sequel.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Why did Nintendo stop making the Prime Trilogy? I have the Wii all set up in my house and want to play MP, but the game is like $50 and up.

I still see MP Trilogy available for sale when out & about. Locally, I've seen it new @ Target, Best Buy, GameStop & WalMart recently. Still $50.

A local GameStop had used copies for $40.

Wasn't emblazoned on the boxart, but I recall when this came out that "limited edition" was mentioned.

Amazon, OTOH, no longer stocks it themselves & the linked retails there are asking a premium price. THis may be a game where a brick & mortar retailer is your best option. Certainly worth $50, IMO - even if you played the first 2 on GC. IMO, the MP3 Wiimote/'chuk controls are superior to the GC control pad (move like a tank). And while some graphical FX were altered/lost in the Wii translation, overall the looks of the Trilogy are nicer - partially due to tweaks Retro did, others just due to being 16x9.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth