Super Nintendo (SNES) S-VIDEO conversion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to use the S-VIDEO output on the SNES and N64 but neither my Samsung LCD TV nor my Onkyo HT-S3300 receiver (which does not upscale analog to HDMI) have S-VIDEO inputs.

What would be the cheapest way of hooking the SNES to my system and getting a better picture quality than composite?

Would a S-VIDEO to HDMI converter such as this work?
(Monoprice Product ID = 7111)

Or would a cheaper S-VIDEO to VGA converter (and possibly, with a subsequent VGA to component, although my TV has a VGA input) be as good?
(Monoprice Product ID = 4722)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I would just use a svideo-composite adapter. The tv will upscale the image to its native resolution. Transcoders like the ones you listed will do the same thing. Save your money and buy the adapter.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Wouldn't that be the same thing as using the SNES composite output directly to the TV? (I already have a SNES composite cable)
post #4 of 8 Old 08-13-2010, 11:54 PM

Liked: 93
Yes, Franz, Mrkazador's advice is bad. What you are looking for is an s-video to hdmi/vga adapter, like what you found at monoprice. The quality probably won't be as good as if your display actually had s-video in, but it will probably be better than composite.

The primary thing to be aware of is a lag issue. The adapter will have to grab a frame or more of video to do it's conversion with. This will result in a roughly additional 16-50ms of lag in your video, on top of the ~30ms that your display is already adding to images. It will probably make playing games like Street Fighter II unbearable, and slower paced games may just be annoying.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you care about quality, here's what you do. You buy a European SCART (RGB!!) cable, and then you buy this converter.

Done. Once you've seen RGB, you'll be throwing that s-video cable away my friend.

Don't take my word for it--this site should keep you busy for days.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-14-2010, 12:03 AM

Liked: 93
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1262916

This thread shows that it isn't quite as easy as you are making it out to be. Have you already done this yourself and are sharing good results linking to the specific gear you used? Or are you just posting google results?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-14-2010, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1262916

This thread shows that it isn't quite as easy as you are making it out to be. Have you already done this yourself and are sharing good results linking to the specific gear you used? Or are you just posting google results?

Funny, the way I read it that thread seems to show that certain individuals are having difficulties feeding RGB into their Televisions via methods and gear other than what I've outlined above. I can't find what type of transcoder was purchased, but I'm guessing it is half the problem.

I use a European RGB SCART cable to my US SNES fed into an XRGB2+* then into an OPTOMA HD3000, and finally into a DVDO EDGE. It works--and what I've posted above works for Fudoh, so I really don't see how it should prove problematic.

The discussions over in the "video processor" area, and over on the gamesx.com forums deal with RGB in far greater depth than you will find within the AVS gaming forums. I posted Fudoh's link as it explains everything much better than I can--and he goes into great detail about the gear he's tested--the transcoding box I recommended in particular--pros and cons.

Good luck!

PS--I have not found the lag in my chain to be objectionable. SFAlpha3 plays fine IMHO.

*technically a SCART switch first, which converts the pinouts between Euro and Japanese SCART. Never hook a Euro SCART directly to an XRGB!!
post #8 of 8 Old 01-09-2011, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey all-
Why does it make more sense to do a time-consuming (and more expensive) analog-to-digital conversion than it is to buy something that converts to fellow RGB format VGA (only sync is different), which most HDTVs and many monitors still come equipped with anyways? If you have a VGA-to-Component converter lying around, you could then use that for use with older TVs that don't have VGA (most of those are CRTs though, so that sort of defeats the purpose since these old systems still look great on CRTs). I guess the upconversion of something like the DVDO-Edge would be nice to be able to take advantage of, and that's a good reason, I guess, to go the HDMI route, but if you're not going to spend a frivolous amount of money on a high-end image processor like that, than I'm afraid I don't see the point of going digital at all.
Did I miss something?

-e
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page