Noob Question About Wii to receiver, assignable inputs, etc. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-02-2010, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, brand new user here. Hopefully this is not a question that's been asked a billion times, or is stupid.

I just ordered a Yamaha RX-V567 receiver, and after ordering realized something that has me slightly nervous/annoyed. The component inputs on the back only have coax and optical audio inputs, meaning there's nowhere for my Wii component audio cables to plug in.

I know I can still plug it into the TV and do audio from there, but I was really hoping to streamline all my inputs into the receiver (that's the point of having one right?).

I know my receiver has "assignable inputs," but I haven't tracked down a definition for what that means exactly. Does this mean I could plug the video cables into the component slot (AV1) and then plug the audio cables into a different analog slot (AV4) and the receiver would pull the video from AV1 and the audio from AV4 into one channel?

The receiver can also do HDMI 1.4 for two way audio, but my TV is only HDMI1.3. I'm assuming that means the TV would not send audio back to the receiver and I need an optical cable to do that. Am I understanding that correctly?

Any and all help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-02-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonSilvestre View Post

I know my receiver has "assignable inputs," but I haven't tracked down a definition for what that means exactly. Does this mean I could plug the video cables into the component slot (AV1) and then plug the audio cables into a different analog slot (AV4) and the receiver would pull the video from AV1 and the audio from AV4 into one channel?

The receiver can also do HDMI 1.4 for two way audio, but my TV is only HDMI1.3. I'm assuming that means the TV would not send audio back to the receiver and I need an optical cable to do that. Am I understanding that correctly?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Hi don, yes to both question. Go into Input setup screen and select your video input and then assign an audio input to it. Both receiver and Tv has to have ARC to work correctly.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-02-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
For my 565, I had to select the AUDIO and then assign the video source to it...IE, I put the Audio cables into Audio 1 input, and the component into AV2. I then select Audio 1 as the input source, select OPTION, then VIDEO, then select AV2 from the OSD. Not sure how the 567 compares to it. Cheers.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #4 of 5 Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for the reply!

Followup question:

Given the amount of retro games I play on my Wii, input lag is seriously important to me. Do receivers like this automatically upscale the image? Will I be able to bypass that processing in the settings? With the Wii the input lag is barely perveivable with my setup right now - I really don't want to add extra processing to slow things down there. I'm assuming if it is a problem that I could just run component from the receiver to the TV to bypass this processing?

I'm assuming that if I let the receiver send the data through the HDMI cable it will automatically upscale.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I use analog to digital (wii to AVR via component, and AVR to TV via HDMI) and there is ZERO lag. Also, quality is superb.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page